Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 2710821 times)

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #33640 on: October 8, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »
That [above] is drifting towards a kind of mental illness that gets some people sectioned. Honestly!! Snipers on the roof looking to take them out if they go and post a letter...etc. Do these people never engage in any serious introspection and take stock of themselves?

That forum sounds like it's populated by people using the 'computer room' in an institution.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Believer
« Reply #33641 on: October 9, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
Yeah.  They key to beating a team like City is being strong over several seasons.  You just have to try and match them blow for blow.  That's nigh on impossible - unless you have a coach like Klopp.

That said, we know they'll bounce back, and that we can take nothing for granted.  But like finishing second against Real Madrid, we bounced back the following year.  We can do that in the league as well because Klopp learns from his mistakes and doesn't look to spend his way out of trouble.  The psychology of our team is very different to City's.

I know what you are saying but I was talking to a young Liverpool fan at work during the summer and told him that Kompany would be a big miss for them and it shouldn't be under estimated, just look at the impact Van Dijk, as single player, has had for us. He dismissed it and thinks City could just spend their way out of the problem and recover, well maybe but we all know a high transfer fee does not always guarantee you've made a good signing. Even if the signings are sound, it takes varying degrees of time to bed in the new players and for the team and player to adjust to each other. There was an interesting piece of analysis by Keown on Sunday where he highlighted two of their players Mahrez and Otamendi I think it was, being only slightly out of position during a City move, resulting in Wolves being able to counter and play into massive gaps after a turnover. These sorts of patterns are practised relentlessly by the top teams meaning positions and passes almost become instinctive by the players. Liverpool have a settled side and haven't had to bed in many new players during the last eighteen months, these sorts of patterns of play have become second nature.

The other thing I don't get with that younger fan is his negativity that Liverpool cannot catch them up an it is inevitable that City will win the league. Perhaps it is because he's never seen Liverpool win it and the club has had a lot of false dawn's, but its quite clear to me that Klopp has created a special team, even compared to the great sides I've seen and he's also a proven winner as an underdog against much stronger clubs. So I also pointed out to him that Guardiola is at the point of having to build a new team - has he ever done that before? Has he ever built a team from scratch? Key players such as Kompany (gone), Aguero, D. Silva, Fernandinho, possibly Otamendi will need replacing in the near future - the spine of a team. It's doable as they have unlimited financial resources but difficult to keep continuity and there are likely to be some bumps in the road. Take that Laporte injury, they are now playing Fernandinho there and he'll do a good job but will be missed in midfield which suggests they don't have a ready made replacement in there.

I notice that referees seem to be on to them about their tactical fowling now and they received a few bookings for it on Sunday. I first came across this side of the game watching the Arsenal so called 'invincibles' side and when I pointed it out to people they thought it was ridiculous to criticise such a great footballing side and it is difficult to spot a side doing this when they dominate possession, thankfully this has been highlighted in City's game by Arteta in their documentary and other opposing managers. Finally we might see more referees picking up on it. I was reading this article about 'tactical fowling' and whilst I don't think they've used the correct stat for City - they should have used fouls per opposition passes, there was an interesting quote in the article.

One aspect to keep an eye on, though: Manchester City averaged 8.63 fouls a game last term, but with 27 fouls conceded after two games this season (only Sheffield United have more), that average is currently 13.5 per game, compared to Liverpool's 7.5.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49371002

This suggests to me that players are possibly finding themselves out of position, as discussed above, meaning that passes are miss placed and/or players are having to make increasingly more desperate tackles/fouls. Opposition teams are probably adjusting tactics too, e.g. to stop that daft pull back goal that they keep scoring every week. Either way that stat points to a problem there.

I said last season that beating City to the title will come down to the head-to-heads against them rather than goal difference and that is now the first tie breaker for the league. For me the important thing is not to get beat in those games, last season we didn't play that well at home and were lucky that they missed the penalty but we were unlucky that Fernandinho didn't get sent off. At the Emptihad we played quite well and were again unlucky with the Kompany fowl and offside goal but in reality it could have gone either way. I wonder whether we should have tried to stick at 1-1, be interesting to see if Klopp has us playing cagey or going all out attack like we seem to still do in the Champions league.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1262217   
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Barneylfc

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #33642 on: October 9, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
Anyone any idea why the scouting story surfaced 6yrs after the event?

Some of them reckon they only discovered the hacking due to the Der Spiegel stuff and the out of court, hush hush money was so there was no prying by the authorities.

No idea if the dates tally or why its suddenly come out or even why they think it should be investigated after a settlement was agreed other than to stop us in our tracks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sure they claim that the Der Spiegel stuff is a load of nonsense when it is in regards to their financial doping. Can't have it both ways.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #33643 on: October 9, 2019, 01:45:01 PM »
One aspect to keep an eye on, though: Manchester City averaged 8.63 fouls a game last term, but with 27 fouls conceded after two games this season (only Sheffield United have more), that average is currently 13.5 per game, compared to Liverpool's 7.5.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49371002

This suggests to me that players are possibly finding themselves out of position, as discussed above, meaning that passes are miss placed and/or players are having to make increasingly more desperate tackles/fouls. Opposition teams are probably adjusting tactics too, e.g. to stop that daft pull back goal that they keep scoring every week. Either way that stat points to a problem there.

I said last season that beating City to the title will come down to the head-to-heads against them rather than goal difference and that is now the first tie breaker for the league. For me the important thing is not to get beat in those games, last season we didn't play that well at home and were lucky that they missed the penalty but we were unlucky that Fernandinho didn't get sent off. At the Emptihad we played quite well and were again unlucky with the Kompany fowl and offside goal but in reality it could have gone either way. I wonder whether we should have tried to stick at 1-1, be interesting to see if Klopp has us playing cagey or going all out attack like we seem to still do in the Champions league.

Pep's football is founded on effective tactical fouling (and ideally the ability to do that without play even being stopped). Fernandinho and Busquets and Mascherano have been masters of that art for his sides, but when they're not in the right spot on the park (like when they're ageing or filling in for an injured centre half with a diddy alongside them), and when people like Gary Neville start to draw attention to what they've been doing in that area when they've otherwise turned a blind eye (Fernandinho's elbow on Kane in the CL Q/F last year type stuff), then their foundation gets shaky.

I'm looking forward to this statsbomb article on their XG per chance conceded this season.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #33644 on: October 9, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »
Aaaaah, right on cue.
https://statsbomb.com/2019/10/whats-up-with-manchester-city/

(Quite chuffed that the stats say what I just said just then.)
« Last Edit: October 9, 2019, 02:02:37 PM by royhendo »

Online campioni

• Believer
« Reply #33645 on: October 9, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
Silva has been given an extension until 21st October to respond to the FA charge.

Offline Classycara

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #33646 on: October 9, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
Silva has been given an extension until 21st October to respond to the FA charge.

What's the extension for? Was the original deadline for posting a video response online?

Offline Classycara

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #33647 on: October 9, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »

It's actually not, it's the last tie breaker. They've just phrased it terribly in that article

"A very minor change - and one that has never been needed - sees the Premier League factor in head-to-head results to separate teams level on points, goal difference and goals scored."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49254099

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #33648 on: October 9, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »
"tactical fowling" :D

Is this like a sparrow that knows to poke the eyes of its predator and then runs away?

(great post by Yosser overall)

Online campioni

• Believer
« Reply #33649 on: October 9, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »
What's the extension for? Was the original deadline for posting a video response online?

He possibly got an extension due to being away on international duty.

City come to Anfield 4 games after 21st October. If they find him guilty there's a very good chance he misses that game.

Offline Classycara

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #33650 on: October 9, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »

City come to Anfield 4 games after 21st October. If they find him guilty there's a very good chance he misses that game.

In that case my money would be on being found guilty and getting the six game standard ban, with three games suspended ;)

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #33651 on: October 9, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »
Pep seems to play cagey against us.  Depending on where both clubs are at when they meet, that might not be a realistic option for him this time around, especially at home.  So, would it be okay for Liverpool to sit back, let them blow themselves out, and look to hit them on the break?

If they're lunging in with desperate fouls I wouldn't want to see our boys get injured needlessly, but you can't let them play keep ball either.  It's not like allowing Spurs to win the possession game in the CL final - City might actually manage to do something with it if we let them have it.
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Barneylfc

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #33652 on: October 9, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »

More likely so they have more time to come to a suitable financial package to let him off with it.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • Believer
« Reply #33653 on: October 9, 2019, 04:25:18 PM »

He's had a week.  How long does it take to write back and say "What? Me, guv?" or "It's a fair cop"?

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #33654 on: October 9, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
Pep seems to play cagey against us.  Depending on where both clubs are at when they meet, that might not be a realistic option for him this time around, especially at home.  So, would it be okay for Liverpool to sit back, let them blow themselves out, and look to hit them on the break?

If they're lunging in with desperate fouls I wouldn't want to see our boys get injured needlessly, but you can't let them play keep ball either.  It's not like allowing Spurs to win the possession game in the CL final - City might actually manage to do something with it if we let them have it.

Attack is the best form of defence against City. Not saying all-out attack, but they have too many options in their attack that we can afford to sit back. Let them worry about their less than ideal backline coming under pressure.

Online afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #33655 on: October 9, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
"tactical fowling" :D

Is this like a sparrow that knows to poke the eyes of its predator and then runs away?

(great post by Yosser overall)

Would think it would fly away... What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #33656 on: October 9, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »

Sit back when we can be putting Otamendi and Fernandinho against our front 3? Not for me clive.
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
« Reply #33657 on: October 9, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »
Apparently Man City tried this fan identification scheme but couldn't find any fans.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Believer
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #33658 on: October 9, 2019, 07:46:45 PM »
Aaaaah, right on cue.
https://statsbomb.com/2019/10/whats-up-with-manchester-city/

(Quite chuffed that the stats say what I just said just then.)

I think for the most part, City are City and they will still clock 90+ points without breaking much of a sweat. The xG/shot stat is almost meaningless at this stage of the season. Way too small of a sample.

I will say though that even though their attack is still purring, at some point they are going to miss Sane. He just brings a dynamic dimension that no one apart from possibly Sterling can give them.

Also, like the article says, Gundagon is giving them nothing. I've always felt less threatened by City with him in the lineup. It they keep him in the double pivot and LaPorte doesn't come back any time soon, then I might entertain the notion they will take a real step back.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
« Reply #33659 on: October 9, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
They basically don't respond well to adversity if they have a setback. Most of the time they score a couple of early goals and put games to bed. If they go behind though, it's very rare they come back to win. I bet it's hardly happened at all under Pep, especially in the past two seasons.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Believer
« Reply #33660 on: October 9, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »
They basically don't respond well to adversity if they have a setback. Most of the time they score a couple of early goals and put games to bed. If they go behind though, it's very rare they come back to win. I bet it's hardly happened at all under Pep, especially in the past two seasons.

Well, they did respond to going 7 points down at New Years by winning all but one match the rest of the season.

I do agree that they don't seem to have the dramatic comebacks that United, for example, frequently pulled off in the Ferguson days. Then again they so rarely fall behind.

In any case, I doubt their mentality will be their downfall. 198 points in two seasons suggests their mentality and commitment to consistent performance is phenomenal.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #33661 on: October 9, 2019, 08:10:51 PM »
The xG/shot stat is almost meaningless at this stage of the season. Way too small of a sample.

Apart from in the Norwich and Wolves games you might say.

Online Sons of pioneerS

• are hungry men.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Fuck The Tories.
« Reply #33662 on: October 9, 2019, 08:16:35 PM »
Apparently Man City tried this fan identification scheme but couldn't find any fans.
Pity they didn't try the hateful gobshite identification scheme, they'd have been more successful.
We've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe...
Rome. London. Paris. Rome. Istanbul. Madrid.

COUPE DES CLUBS CHAMPIONS EUROPÉENS VAINQUERS SIX FOIS.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Believer
« Reply #33663 on: October 9, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
Apart from in the Norwich and Wolves games you might say.

When you concede a crazy low number of shots, the variance on your xG/shot ratio is going to be extremely high. We have 3 seasons of data on Pep's City, and all of the data says the defence is very very good (and I think a big reason is their incredible possession advantage; you can't score if you don't have the ball and that won't change even if they are playing sub-par defenders)   

Perhaps the loss of Kompany and LaPorte (and Stones) will change that, but I very much doubt it.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer