Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3457028 times)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
Re: Manchester City
« Reply #600 on: August 7, 2011, 11:10:25 pm »
...they still DO NOT have a squad in depth.
Fucking hell on today's evidence they're struggling for a back four.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #601 on: August 7, 2011, 11:10:29 pm »
No, I disagree. The first XI is very good but from the bench, not alot of quality.

Having just looked at both squads, I'm still inclined to disagree with you. You have a lot of younger players still out to prove themselves, Man City have a lot of proven internationals. As I said, it's not about the quality of the players and the names, it's about the quality of the team and working together. Man City are the Real Madrid of England.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #602 on: August 7, 2011, 11:10:39 pm »
City showed their small club mentality by squandering a two goal lead.

Top clubs don't bottle two goal lead. On paper they've got the talent to walk the title, but their inferiority complex is greater than their talent.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2011, 11:13:14 pm by Ambrosia »

Offline Scholesy

• Kopite
  • Unbiased views
« Reply #603 on: August 7, 2011, 11:12:39 pm »
City showed their small club mentality by squandering a two goal lead go.

Top clubs don't bottle two goal lead. On paper they've got the talent to walk the title, but their inferiority complex is greater than their talent.

They squandered their two goal lead because United dominated the match. More balance in the formation and energy.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: August 7, 2011, 11:14:07 pm »
They squandered their two goal lead because United dominated the match. More balance in the formation and energy.

I'm sorry mate but before half time, City dominated it.

They got complacent and didn't expect your lot to come out the traps like you did in the second half.

Was what one would definately call a game of two halves as City bottled it once you got the first.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #605 on: August 7, 2011, 11:14:15 pm »

United dominated the 2nd half sure as shit didn't dominate the first.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #606 on: August 7, 2011, 11:17:37 pm »
I'm so ruddy bloody brave.

Brave little soldiers

Makes your lip tremble with the braveness of it all.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: August 7, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »
Domination doesn't always reflect on the scoreline.

And if you're a top club and you've got a two goal lead, you make sure that the opposing team's domination doesn't reflect on the scoreline and you see the game out.

City couldn't do that.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #608 on: August 7, 2011, 11:22:45 pm »

Manchester United did not dominate the match. They had more possesion in the first half, but did very little with that possession. Manchester City scored two goals - one from awful goalkeeping and poor defending and one from awful goalkeeping.

Second half you obviously changed it around and Mancini reacted like a dazed whale after one too many pints of penguin broth. Bringing Barry on was the correct idea - but far, far too late.

Your first was a well worked goal. The Nani goal was taken well but was piss poor defending and the third again was piss poor defending.

The defending on show from both sides was pretty woeful for large chunks of time. Not sure what's wrong with Ferdinand - but he looked off the pace and Vidic looked a stranger - I'm guessing from their body langauge they don't trust your new keeper at all.

The biggest and strangest decision from Manchester City and Mancini was after establishing that the new Manchester United keeper was unlikely to ever save a long range shot - they stopped their long range shooting.

Was a game of poor tactical ambition from both managers - but Manchester United used the benefit of several key decisions (The main one being Evra remaining on the pitch after cynically fouling as last man back).

First half was abysmal from both sides - not a good game to watch by any stretch of the imagination. Second half was a game littered with mistakes and poor tackles and terrible officiating.

Not one to write home about despite the scoreline.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: August 7, 2011, 11:23:24 pm »
this is a strange one actually.

when united pulled level barry came on for mario i think.tactical move fair enough but with the attacking flair they have and their defensive insecurities i dont think holding on to a lead or trying to choke the game is their style.i know mancini has a tough ask but he isn't quite the right fit.
they will concede bucket loads this season.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #610 on: August 7, 2011, 11:24:09 pm »
To be honest, I don't know why people think they are any better than last season....
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Scholesy

• Kopite
  • Unbiased views
« Reply #611 on: August 7, 2011, 11:25:49 pm »
Dowd had a very good match Andy@Allerton and both halves were enjoyable to watch.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: August 7, 2011, 11:26:00 pm »

Second half you obviously changed it around and Mancini reacted like a dazed whale after one too many pints of penguin broth. Bringing Barry on was the correct idea - but far, far too late.
all.

disagree mate.the best form of defense is attack.with the players city have you feel attack is their only option.except for kompany their back 4 is pretty much a mess.pressure them and they will fold.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Scholesy

• Kopite
  • Unbiased views
« Reply #613 on: August 7, 2011, 11:27:45 pm »
To be honest, I don't know why people think they are any better than last season....

I agree and also there is more pressure this season because they have had their honeymoon period. And also other teams they play against will try harder because I don't think City are viewed well by the neutral.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #614 on: August 7, 2011, 11:28:31 pm »
Man City won't win the league as long as Mancini is in charge.
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #615 on: August 7, 2011, 11:30:02 pm »
disagree mate.the best form of defense is attack.with the players city have you feel attack is their only option.except for kompany their back 4 is pretty much a mess.pressure them and they will fold.

I think if Barry had come on before the first goal then they would have looked stronger. As soon as that first went in, they basically gave up. So Barry came on without a real plan.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #616 on: August 8, 2011, 01:02:57 am »
Who's the signing that was going to blow our socks off or something?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #617 on: August 8, 2011, 01:14:19 am »
Who's the signing that was going to blow our socks off or something?

Aguero. But he didn't play.

With the exception of Silva, that Man City side is dire....take Silva out of the side and they are going to struggle to create very much.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: August 8, 2011, 01:37:40 am »
Co-llaspe is Manchester City's surname.............
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: August 8, 2011, 02:50:32 am »

Unless Aguero comes and has an amazing year (which is certainly a possibility), they'll be missing the influence of Tevez (unless he decides to stay, for whatever reason).

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #620 on: August 8, 2011, 03:05:08 am »
Unless Aguero comes and has an amazing year (which is certainly a possibility), they'll be missing the influence of Tevez (unless he decides to stay, for whatever reason).

But with Tevez, Silva and Aguero  they have decent attacking quality. It's a shame their manager is not as good as he thinks he is.

Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #621 on: August 8, 2011, 03:06:58 am »

That's my thinking.

When you've got a team, who's leaking goals. Who ya gonna call?  Our Rafa! ;)
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #622 on: August 8, 2011, 03:29:55 am »
Manchester United did not dominate the match. They had more possesion in the first half, but did very little with that possession. Manchester City scored two goals - one from awful goalkeeping and poor defending and one from awful goalkeeping.

Your first was a well worked goal. The Nani goal was taken well but was piss poor defending and the third again was piss poor defending.

The defending on show from both sides was pretty woeful for large chunks of time. Not sure what's wrong with Ferdinand - but he looked off the pace and Vidic looked a stranger - I'm guessing from their body langauge they don't trust your new keeper at all.

The biggest and strangest decision from Manchester City and Mancini was after establishing that the new Manchester United keeper was unlikely to ever save a long range shot - they stopped their long range shooting.

Was a game of poor tactical ambition from both managers - but Manchester United used the benefit of several key decisions (The main one being Evra remaining on the pitch after cynically fouling as last man back).

First half was abysmal from both sides - not a good game to watch by any stretch of the imagination. Second half was a game littered with mistakes and poor tackles and terrible officiating.

The last line of this made me laugh.

However, Utd did dominate the game IMO.
City also bottled it, should of shut up shop at 2-0.

Very rare that Utd fail to score and Im not 100% Evra's was a foul at all. More a case of a collision.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: August 8, 2011, 03:56:04 am »
But with Tevez, Silva and Aguero  they have decent attacking quality. It's a shame their manager is not as good as he thinks he is.

True, but they had Silva last year and look what that got them.  Since it seems they bought Aguero to replace Tevez, not to compliment him, the question is whether or not that's an upgrade or downgrade.  Clearly, based on Tevez's form for them last year, it's going to be a downgrade.  How much is what we'll find out.
(Of course none of this is valid if they decide to keep Tevez, for whatever reason).

Offline Borninbethlehem

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: August 8, 2011, 06:17:20 am »
Loving that Mancini is still manager of City.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #625 on: August 8, 2011, 10:29:46 am »
How could anyone say that Utd didn't dominate the match?Especially in the second half,City must have tested De Gea only once and he barely even touched the ball.City,was rather disappointing throughout the whole match and only Silva saved face.Of course it's still early but Mancini should first learn his team to control a game and then play some better footy with such players at his disposal.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2011, 10:34:28 am by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #626 on: August 8, 2011, 10:33:43 am »
mancini has no tactical awareness at all, his substitutions are either wrong or badly timed, he cant change the formation of the team or the tactics at the right time and he's blown the ballotelli situation out of all proportion. as well as that if you look at the man city team, the defence is average, i dont rate richards as a right back, kompany/lescott/toure can all be 'got at' as centre backs,barry/milner/dejong are nowhere near as good as they think they are, dzeko isnt all that good, ballotelli's mad, tevez/adebayor/bellamy/wright-phillips are off. aguero could be good/great but if silva doesnt play who would create chances for him.

Offline firedragon

• Kopite
« Reply #627 on: August 8, 2011, 11:52:43 am »
Their style of play is so fucking dull  :boring  Silva dzeko balloteli tevez aguero?

Quite frankly it doesn't matter who their playing it's as if their relaying on a moments magic out of nowhere which is shocking mismanagement.

I think they need to replace manchini to go to the next level he's sorted the defence out and made them hard to beat however up front their is no fluidity they take so much time on the ball the 2 goals were literally out of nowhere the scoreline flattered them they were toothless.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #628 on: August 8, 2011, 12:00:51 pm »
Their style of play is so fucking dull  :boring  Silva dzeko balloteli tevez aguero?

Quite frankly it doesn't matter who their playing it's as if their relaying on a moments magic out of nowhere which is shocking mismanagement.

I think they need to replace manchini to go to the next level he's sorted the defence out and made them hard to beat however up front their is no fluidity they take so much time on the ball the 2 goals were literally out of nowhere the scoreline flattered them they were toothless.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #629 on: August 8, 2011, 12:02:05 pm »

Come again?

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: August 8, 2011, 12:56:06 pm »
City's style of play is shite because they lack a midfielder that can pass a ball. Yesterday, time after time de jong kept giving the ball away as did toure who had a terrible game compared to his normal standards.

Clichy was shite on the last goal and kompany will get the blame.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: August 8, 2011, 01:04:41 pm »

I must watch a different game, as i was very impressed with united, and thought they were by far the better team,
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #632 on: August 8, 2011, 01:04:54 pm »

I've been saying this for a while now and my opinion hasn't changed.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Scholesy

• Kopite
  • Unbiased views
« Reply #633 on: August 8, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »
I also don't understand why they haved signed Clichy.

If they are unhappy with Kolarov, this can be the only reason maybe but he was not that poor last season.

They have signed a left back who can only play at LB. Kolarov showed that he is ineffective as a LW, so he too can only play LB. They should have either sold Kolarov and bought Clichy, or signed a player who can play various positions including LB to cover for the injured LB - although Lescott could do this.
A poor signing although Clichy is a decent left back.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: August 8, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »
City have got serious potential but they must show some patience with the players they have.  They spend money on desperate fashion statements, spunking millions on the next hot player.  On top of that Mancini doesn't seem to be getting to grips with the tactics needed to prosper in the top half of the Prem.  Maybe he's confused because his squad is so big he can't figure out how to use them to best advantage.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline montanaaa

• Main Stander
« Reply #635 on: August 8, 2011, 01:54:02 pm »
i find it outrageous that mancini has the audacity to complain about having a small squad?  :butt the man has spent so much money, if he spent wisely, he could have built a squad strong enough to compete, but instead went for overpriced, over hyped players. then this issue of forcing seasoned professional to train with the youth team and reserves shows the man has no class. very poor manager.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #636 on: August 8, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »
Man City are the Real Madrid of England.

You can compare them to Madrid when they've won nine European Cups and thirty-odd league titles. Until then, such a comparison makes no sense.
DAMMIT!

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #637 on: August 8, 2011, 07:51:45 pm »
They shouldn't be playing De jong AND Toure.

Play one and be more attacking Mancini you boring bastard.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Matt8Pie

• Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #638 on: August 8, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »

It makes sense when you see the amount of money they've splashed out on superstar names, have a squad that doesn't gel and have their rivals outdo them. I get your point, but since both have been notoriously spunking their money up the wall on various big names in recent years and have won next to nothing, the comparison can be made and does make sense.

Offline Red4Lyfe

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Hope
« Reply #639 on: August 8, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »

It's not surprising since their squad in this match was the same as last season, except without Tevez.

Was surprised that lot ever had a 2 goal lead at half. Shame about the bottling, wanted to see the red Mancs get twatted. Mancini really is tiresome with his Gareth Barry routine.