Author Topic: The Day Adidas Shot itself in the foot by losing Liverpool FC  (Read 36702 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.

It must be shocking news to football fans around the world, Liverpool supporters especially when it was announced Liverpool would be signing a 25 million pound a year contract with Warrior Sports of the USA. Paying double what Adidas had been paying the club since 2006, and with adidas opting NOT to match what Warrior Sports was offering, there are good and bad sides to this deal.

1) Adidas has a bigger network of retail stores and chain stores globally than Warrior Sports will ever have. Warrior Sports is only prominant in a half dozen countries and that is limited to a small select number of sports.

2) Adidas CAN/COULD have afforded to match Warrior Sports but chose not to because it didn't like being bullied into a massive kit deal which in reality, it could have met if only the negotiating team had better marketing and sales managers at regional and international levels who were not sitting on their arses and coming out with the same method of sales (i.e. home, away,3rd kits, training kits, polo's.) Its a fact Adidas has been losing its foothold in global footbal with Nike gaining massive ground on the German brand and with adidas set to lose its "number one" status by 2015 to Nike in Football and expected to be dwarfed by Nike who will hit USD$50 BILLION in sales per year globally, its no wonder adidas management and senior marketing officers are taking several steps backwards by cutting budgets.

One of the biggest blunders in sport history as far as kit negotiations are concerned. Adidas thought the club would back down on their demands and didn't.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline canadianscraggledog

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Re: The Day Adidas Shot itself in the foot by losing Liverpool FC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:42:10 am »
In today's online world, does a retail store presence matter so much though?

Think it will do us a world of good with the extra $$ to spend on players.
60% of the time, it works all the time

Offline bakstabba

• Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:20 am »
In today's online world, does a retail store presence matter so much though?

Think it will do us a world of good with the extra $$ to spend on players.

That's a good point. I guess for Warrior this kit deal for them is a stepping stone (and a big one at that) to gain entry into the football merchandise market. They'll naturally increase their market presence globally in their operations because this is obviously one part of their plans
Socrates did have a habit of polarising opinion, as does Lucas. Lucas is also good at hemming opponents in and locking them into difficult situations.

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:43 am »
I don't think they shot themselves in the foot they just opted out of meeting a price. I read somewhere we sell 700 -900000 shirts a year so call it a million. To fund 25 quid per shirt in sponsorship before you make ship and market the shirt without the retailer margin or sales tax in some countries being taken into account means that maybe it just wasn't a good deal for adidas commercially. Warrior are looking for the exposure and have probably budgeted to lose money on the deal to gain market exposure which is something adidas don't really need.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Godmadebloodred

• Legacy Fan
  • The Beanitezls
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:02:11 am »
Liverpool FC.... is not in!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:07:53 am »
is..out!

Liverpool are adidas' 4th largest kit seller (merchandise wise) for the brand.

But if you think Warrior will be able to reach the sort of levels of sales globally, I don't think it will happen. They have a big problem with supply chains globally. UNLESS, they hope their new balance offices globally will be able to market on their behalf.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:58:44 am »
who cares? the club doesnt make that much from shirt sales outside of the uk anyway

Offline scoobs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:08:43 am »
Liverpool are adidas' 4th largest kit seller (merchandise wise) for the brand.

Who are the other 3 who sell more than us?
I remember reading somewhere where Ian Ayre said we were the biggest seller for Adidas.

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:37:41 am »
I remember reading somewhere where Ian Ayre said we were the biggest seller for Adidas.

Real
AC Milan
Bayern?
Spirit of Shankly Membership Number 4294, Reclaim the Kop!  The King's Men

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:40:00 am »
I'm seriously considering spewing LFC once adidas leaves.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:37 am »
I'm seriously considering spewing LFC once adidas leaves.

Yeah, me too. It just won't be the same right?
I'll just become an Adidas nomad, following them through the merchandise wilderness, wherever they may roam.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:18 am »

From what I have read, we are the forth most popular after Real Madrid, Barcelona and the Mancs, Real Madrid being the only ones who outsell us and are with Adidas.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »
People who want to buy a Liverpool Football Club shirt will invariably buy a Liverpool Football Club shirt. It barely matters who sponsors it or even the design.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:16 pm »
People who want to buy a Liverpool Football Club shirt will invariably buy a Liverpool Football Club shirt. It barely matters who sponsors it or even the design.

I agree.

£25m per season will only help us become more competitive in the transfer market. If adidias dont want to pay what we think we're worth then we move on. No time for sentiment!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »
I don't think they shot themselves in the foot they just opted out of meeting a price. I read somewhere we sell 700 -900000 shirts a year so call it a million. To fund 25 quid per shirt in sponsorship before you make ship and market the shirt without the retailer margin or sales tax in some countries being taken into account means that maybe it just wasn't a good deal for adidas commercially. Warrior are looking for the exposure and have probably budgeted to lose money on the deal to gain market exposure which is something adidas don't really need.

What about the 100,000's of shorts, sock, tracksuits, boots, polo shirts it also sell with the LFC brand on?

What about people (like me, sad I know) that wear non-LFC branded Adidas gear solely because they sponsor my club?

To think that the calculation was made solely on football shirt sales and nothing else is naive.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline meff

• istoffeles?
  • Kopite
  • does your dog bite?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 02:31:09 pm »
This is a great deal for us in terms of increased revenue especially with the financial fair-play rules coming into full effect in the near future. It's also a great deal for Warrior, rather: New Balance as this will inevitably increase their profile in the apparel market outside of the US.

With regards to the allegiance between match going fans (and those who would like to be match going fans) and Adidas: it's origins rooted deep in history going back to the late 70s and early 80s and had nothing to do with which manufacturers name was on our jersey at the time.
For those about to Klopp! We salute you

royhendo

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 03:49:07 pm »
It's not our problem really. Me personally? I'm gonna stock up on some of the good "Originals" clobber for my nippers when they grow up, but that's about it for me.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:10 am »
Automatically, the current crop of shirts gain in value? buy now, sell in 20 years time ;)
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 12:57:42 am »
New Balance do make awesome running shoes though. Better than adidas or Nike to be honest...

Offline Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
What about the 100,000's of shorts, sock, tracksuits, boots, polo shirts it also sell with the LFC brand on?

What about people (like me, sad I know) that wear non-LFC branded Adidas gear solely because they sponsor my club?

To think that the calculation was made solely on football shirt sales and nothing else is naive.

They shouldn't be expected to consider that.

Just continue to wear your Adidas gear. It's not a big deal.

Offline nez808

• Kemlynite
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 02:25:47 pm »
It also means that we will probably get a unique kit. For the past few years ours and Chelsea's, to name but one, kits have only really been distinguishable by the colour.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 02:52:08 pm »
New Balance do make awesome running shoes though. Better than adidas or Nike to be honest...

People are starting to wear New Balance trainers in general now aswell mate, not just for running shoes. Can't see this deal being nothing but fruitful for us, the three stripes will go but we will be getting 25 million a year in place of it. Diddums.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 02:55:36 pm »
Warrior makes the hockey jerseys and jackets at my school. All of their stuff is quality.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 03:03:05 pm »
Warrior makes the hockey jerseys and jackets at my school. All of their stuff is quality.

Could you post some pics if it's not too much trouble mate? Just so we have an idea of what we're dealing with?

Adidas do make fantastic, classy stuff, but we're a business as well as a football club, and we need a deal that is beneficial to us. People may not like that but that's the way it is. £25 million a season is a fantastic deal for the club and can only be a good thing.

royhendo

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 04:29:21 pm »
Adidas might not have had much of a chance anyway. Improvements for the Boston Red Sox centenary at Fenway Park this year include a big illuminated New Balance sign. *rubs both sides of bridge of nose with index finger*

http://tinyurl.com/3j7rj6h

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:09 pm »
I don't know why anyone is/was worrying about shirt sales to be honest. Surely that's purely Warrior's concern now?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 11:38:17 pm »
I don't know why anyone is/was worrying about shirt sales to be honest. Surely that's purely Warrior's concern now?

How does the club market its merchandise globally if there are no downstreams to sell from (i.e. adidas concept stores/adidas retailers)? How many retail stores does Warrior have globally?

You're right, surely it's their problem but if we are earning cash on royalty as well and are looking to grow, surely this was in the long run not a good deal for the club. I still think adidas made a big mistake in letting the club go.

I don't see how they came away from this looking smart.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 05:28:39 pm »
Surely Warrior would still distribute the shirt to general sports stores though?
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 05:52:17 pm »
I don't really care about adidas being gone, we were the second best selling adidas branded footie club, obviously they didn't value us as such so screw them, no brand loyalty from me, my only loyalty is to Liverpool FC, I am sure Warrior will put in a good effort on the kit as we are their stepping stone into football kits.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 09:49:06 pm »
This is a great deal for us in the short term.

The extra £100m we get from the Warriors can be used to improve the team, which will hopefully lead to success for us. Once we've got a few trophies under the belt, by the time we come to the end of the contract, the likes of Adidas can come back to the table with a deal which will worthy of our stature.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 11:41:51 am »
Adidas might go for the German option, pushing their sales in the bundesliga, which is on the way up. Doubt they'll lose out in the end. They'll probably come back in 3-4 years time if we get back into the top CL teams.

Don't really think it'll work out for warrior, their gear looks shite. Not really talking about the shirts, but general clothing items and trainers (which come from new balance it think).

Anyone know how much money is made from shirt/kit/training gear sales compared to club-branded clothing (like adidas hoodies with a Liverbird on them)?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline fjelloter

• Boys Pen
  • Ruddock as Prime Minister
« Reply #31 on: May 2, 2011, 05:33:49 pm »
Just going to leave this one right here: http://imgur.com/1yldQ

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 2, 2011, 10:37:09 pm »
Just going to leave this one right here: http://imgur.com/1yldQ

That's fake. Hideous alright, but fake.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #33 on: May 2, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »
That's fake. Hideous alright, but fake.

Seriously?

Looks real and class.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Mackeroo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 2, 2011, 11:41:47 pm »

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #35 on: May 3, 2011, 05:02:43 am »
FWIW this hasn't been confirmed by the club and may well be a negotiating tactic from the owners.

In terms of replica shirts we're second behind Madrid.

In terms of overall merchandise - training tops, hats, balls, shoes, etc. We're apparently the biggest seller, full stop.

Contrary to a belief in some quarters that leading football clubs sell many millions of shirts around the world each year, Dr Rohlmann studied sales in the period 2005 to 2009 to get an accurate long-term picture, and found that the leading two clubs sold, on average, 1.2m to 1.5m shirts per year each. These clubs were Manchester United (Nike’s best seller) and Real Madrid (Adidas’s best seller).

But even that does not tell the full merchandise story, because although Liverpool were found to Adidas’s No2 shirt seller behind Real (with 700,000 to 900,000 shirts sold per year), Liverpool are understood to be ahead of Real in overall merchandise sales for Adidas, according to industry sources. In this instance “overall merchandise” means not just the sale of shirts (which is what Dr Rohlmann measured), but other kit, boots, tracksuits and other clothing, bags and even club-branded balls.

And Liverpool’s commercial director, Ian Ayre, has told this website that Liverpool are Adidas’s top-selling team in overall merchandise terms. “It is clear that we are Adidas’s highest selling football club – Adidas advised us we were their highest selling club,” Ayre says.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/08/31/exclusive-manchester-united-lead-global-shirt-sales-list-liverpool-chase-as-england%E2%80%99s-second-best-310805/
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 4, 2011, 01:32:29 am »
Good article.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 4, 2011, 02:39:59 pm »

This is true, I am on my second pair of 767's and will probably purchase another pair of New Balance when those are worn out.

http://size.co.uk/footwear?departmentPage=N#back
Justice for the 96!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #38 on: May 4, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
Surely Warrior would still distribute the shirt to general sports stores though?

Exactly. Whenever I've bought a Liverpool shirt in the past I've either picked it up in the club shop (which will still stock them), ordered on line from one of the club or the likes of JJB/Sports Direct (which will still stock them) or gone into one of the previously mentioned chain sports shops directly (which will still stock them).

I don't think I have ever been in a specific Adidas store to purchase a shirt, or anything else for that matter. In fact, I don't even know where my nearest one is.

I just don't see this as being as big a problem as is being made out.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #39 on: May 4, 2011, 04:09:32 pm »
I think there are factors to take into consideration here:

People who always buy our shirt will still buy the Warrior one.
People that buy other Adidas LFC branded merchandise in addition to the shirt will be less inclined to with the Warrior alternative.
Our performance on the pitch impacts how many shirts we sell so the more money we get up front the better.
How much many do the club actually make on each shirt sold?
Will we have the same distribution issues with a lesser brand as we did with Reebok prior to Adidas again?