Author Topic: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone  (Read 487648 times)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
How are you getting on now mate?

8 weeks in now and, to be honest, I'm not entirely satisfied. I can see small visual changes, but two months in, I would've expected something more. I feel less 'flabby', but I'm not sure if it was completely worth it, just yet. Some people don't really see many changes until later on, so I'm hoping there's still some fat cells ready to be flushed away and my body's just catching up with it. I haven't lost anywhere near the inches I was told I would, but I think I'd benefit from another treatment or two, now the initial fat cells have been treated. I can see a change in my overall shape, but the fat is still very much there.

I'm not sure if my expectations were too high and unrealistic and I'm unfairly comparing it to what I expected. I still haven't had my follow-up consultation though, so I haven't got the before/after pictures to truly gauge how effective the treatment was. I feel less overweight, but visually I still am. Before the procedure though, I weighed in at 82kg or so, and am now down to 75-76, so a 6kg loss. The procedure usually melts away the fat without any weight changes, so I'm wondering whether the weight I've lost is purely down to myself being a bit more motivated after the procedure or the procedure itself.

Would I have another treatment? Possibly, but I think it'll take a lot of time (and money) for minimal results each time. They call it 'treat to transform' or 'stacking', where they repeat treatments 3-4 times, to achieve the final look. But as you can only have an area done once every 4 months, it could take about a year, which doesn't really fit in well with my personal life as I'll be moving around the country very soon. Unless the consultation gives me hope that I could reach my goal, I'm not so sure if I would do it again.

I've been looking into the surgical route, as scary as that sounds. VASER Lipo, rather than traditional, where they use ultrasound to melt the fat and use a suction to then remove it permanently. I've been quoted £4000 by one clinic and have another consultation on Monday. It's a lot of money, no doubt about it, but the effectiveness of it can't be argued with. Very few risks due to local anaesthesia, no scarring after the initial month or so, minimal bruising and back to work within a week. After 3-4 months, there should be no sign of me having had any work done. I paid between £800/£900 for the earlier procedure, so if I were to repeat it 4 times, it would come out at about £3600 overall, take around a year and I'd achieve minimal results each time. This way, it'd be done in an afternoon and I'd achieve the final results almost immediately. The money is definitely an issue though and all is dependant on that.

I reckon a lot of people would be confused as to why I'm choosing to go down the costly surgical route when I weigh 75kg and not really a person who sticks out as overweight at first glance. It does get me down to a massive extent, however. So much so, if everything is going well for me (career and relationship-wise, like now), I'll still think, "... but I'm still fat and unhealthy" and seclude myself from everything. So the cost of surgery might be extortionate, but if I am in a position to afford it soon (hopefully), I see it as a no-brainer, as it's the one part of my life I'm massively depressed about and seem to be on a downward spiral with, despite losing weight countless times but no actual visible fat. This is especially true with the chest area, where I've been told I have mild gynocomastia, as embarrassing as that is to deal with.

Sorry if that's all a bit long winded, just thought I should share exactly where I'm at right now.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:24:08 am by El Denzel Pepito »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For 4 grand i'd rather invest in a personal trainer who'll keep you motivated. If it takes a couple of months to lose the fat with surgery, you can just as well do it the traditional way. Will make you feel better about yourself too.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
For 4 grand i'd rather invest in a personal trainer who'll keep you motivated. If it takes a couple of months to lose the fat with surgery, you can just as well do it the traditional way. Will make you feel better about yourself too.

Oh absolutely, that's the way I'd do it in any other scenario. I forgot to mention I'm also on long-term medication as of now. A major side effect of one is an inhibited metabolism, which makes fat loss extremely hard. So I may lose weight, but the fat doesn't actually seem to 'go' anywhere, no matter how hard or long I keep at it. I spoke to a nutritionist and a personal trainer, and both gave me the view that I was fighting an uphill battle whilst taking medication. I'll be moving soon to start a new full-time job that requires a lot of travelling, and working out to the level I need to be to see visible results will be nigh-on impossible for myself. It's one of the main reasons why rather than just focusing on diet and exercise (I'm also doing that), I'm looking at alternative options that would get me 'in shape' before then. It's a lot of money, that in an ideal world I would save up for something more important, but as of now, changing my body and how it impacts my relationships is top of the list. I'm still young, but if I let this carry on, I can see it getting a lot worse, me a lot bigger and all the health problems that brings. I'm not in control of it right now, and that's the point I really need to be at.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:33:56 am by El Denzel Pepito »

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So what happens when you have liposuction and then over the next ten years you accumulate fat again due to the slow metabolism?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Uphill battles can be won too. :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
8 weeks in now and, to be honest, I'm not entirely satisfied. I can see small visual changes, but two months in, I would've expected something more. I feel less 'flabby', but I'm not sure if it was completely worth it, just yet. Some people don't really see many changes until later on, so I'm hoping there's still some fat cells ready to be flushed away and my body's just catching up with it. I haven't lost anywhere near the inches I was told I would, but I think I'd benefit from another treatment or two, now the initial fat cells have been treated. I can see a change in my overall shape, but the fat is still very much there.

I'm not sure if my expectations were too high and unrealistic and I'm unfairly comparing it to what I expected. I still haven't had my follow-up consultation though, so I haven't got the before/after pictures to truly gauge how effective the treatment was. I feel less overweight, but visually I still am. Before the procedure though, I weighed in at 82kg or so, and am now down to 75-76, so a 6kg loss. The procedure usually melts away the fat without any weight changes, so I'm wondering whether the weight I've lost is purely down to myself being a bit more motivated after the procedure or the procedure itself.

Would I have another treatment? Possibly, but I think it'll take a lot of time (and money) for minimal results each time. They call it 'treat to transform' or 'stacking', where they repeat treatments 3-4 times, to achieve the final look. But as you can only have an area done once every 4 months, it could take about a year, which doesn't really fit in well with my personal life as I'll be moving around the country very soon. Unless the consultation gives me hope that I could reach my goal, I'm not so sure if I would do it again.

I've been looking into the surgical route, as scary as that sounds. VASER Lipo, rather than traditional, where they use ultrasound to melt the fat and use a suction to then remove it permanently. I've been quoted £4000 by one clinic and have another consultation on Monday. It's a lot of money, no doubt about it, but the effectiveness of it can't be argued with. Very few risks due to local anaesthesia, no scarring after the initial month or so, minimal bruising and back to work within a week. After 3-4 months, there should be no sign of me having had any work done. I paid between £800/£900 for the earlier procedure, so if I were to repeat it 4 times, it would come out at about £3600 overall, take around a year and I'd achieve minimal results each time. This way, it'd be done in an afternoon and I'd achieve the final results almost immediately. The money is definitely an issue though and all is dependant on that.

I reckon a lot of people would be confused as to why I'm choosing to go down the costly surgical route when I weigh 75kg and not really a person who sticks out as overweight at first glance. It does get me down to a massive extent, however. So much so, if everything is going well for me (career and relationship-wise, like now), I'll still think, "... but I'm still fat and unhealthy" and seclude myself from everything. So the cost of surgery might be extortionate, but if I am in a position to afford it soon (hopefully), I see it as a no-brainer, as it's the one part of my life I'm massively depressed about and seem to be on a downward spiral with, despite losing weight countless times but no actual visible fat. This is especially true with the chest area, where I've been told I have mild gynocomastia, as embarrassing as that is to deal with.

Sorry if that's all a bit long winded, just thought I should share exactly where I'm at right now.

What height are you? I can't remember if you mentioned it before. The reason I ask is because it's seems like you're light in weight, so perhaps your unhappiness is less to do with being fat and more to do with not having enough muscle on your frame. Assuming you are average height:

The ONS said the average man in England was 5ft 9in (175.3cm) tall and weighed 13.16 stone (83.6kg).

You're almost 10kgs lighter than the average man in the UK so it's strange you're desperate enough to go to all this trouble and cost. 6 months on a weight lifting routine could be all you need to be happy with yourself.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
what's the best running/walking calorie burn counting app out there?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Uphill battles can be won too. :)

Yes!

Also, using surgery doesn't actually get you in shape, it's just cosmetic, and if he isn't exercising then any fat is going to be noticeable if there's no lean muscle. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Does anyone here currently follow Slimming World? I have had a search but everything is from 5-6 years ago.

I signed up at the end of July and yesterday I hit 1st in total weight loss so far. 2st was my initial target, so I will keep working towards that but I think I'm going to end up pushing for a bit more, maybe 2.5st.

I have taken to it fairly easily to be honest. I've always eaten a lot of vegetables, less so fruit, and made all of my own sauces - nothing ever came from a jar. But where I feel it has really helped me is learning control, and knowing that each Monday I will have to go and weigh-in and sit in a group and talk about how I feel. I can appreciate how that might sound horrific for some people, but I thoroughly enjoy it and it spurs me on. I enjoy being part of the group and seeing how others do and I find the support really uplifting.

I find it easier to be in control and make the right decisions. There is absolutely no way on this earth I would ever be able to sacrifice potatoes, rice or pasta, so this works quite well for me. I think now I'm much more conscious of the decisions I make - how much butter and milk goes into the mashed potatoes, how much cream into the sauces, how many biscuits I have with a cup of tea etc...

There are a few things with it that I find a bit concerning. When I started out, I found it difficult to meet my hexB quota - I don't really like brown bread, I don't eat Weetabix etc... The group encouraged my to try the SW HiFi bars that they sell at group - I think it's a box of 6 for £1.95, and you can have two of those per day as your hexB allowance. 3 weeks later and I realise I am having two of these a day, whilst using my syn allowance for a treat, maybe a two-finger Kitkat or some low syn crisps. What has concerned me the most, is that before joining, I would have had days where I wouldn't have had any kind of confectionery, or needed it. Now I'm at the stage of having two of their HiFi bars a day, minimum. Don't get me wrong, I am losing weight each week but it's not a habit I want to pick up. I think I fear taking that further - getting into a habit or having them, then suddenly one day they aren't enough and I need something more and calorific.

So I've ditched them and tried to reassign my syns to other areas. I am having x2 40g slices of wholemeal bread (as hexB) with olive spread as a sandwich for lunch, with roast ham and tomato as a filling and using extra edam cheese as syns. I've also cut out Mullerlights (SW promote these a lot but there is a lot of sugar in them), and switched to a yogurt I actually enjoy and syn that instead if they contain syns. I definitely feel fuller than before.

So whilst there are a couple of things that concern me about SW, on the whole I feel much better and much more in control of what I'm eating and the food choices I make. I'm also eating 10-15 speed foods a day (fruit and veg), so that has definitely helped and something I look forward to each day. I don't drink a lot of alcohol, so I have no problem not having a drink for a month, whereas I know others struggle with this. Hopefully I can stick with it long enough for it to become a habit, and a way of life.

I have had one day off plan in 6 weeks, where I didn't watch what I ate and had a few drinks, but the next day I was straight back on plan again. It's amazing when you start to see results how focused and determined you can become. I've navigated meals out, all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets with friends, V Festival, days out etc without any difficulty, just through what I have learned so far and allowing myself the things I really, really want in moderation, and mainly sticking to plan. I don't feel like I am missing out and I have never, ever felt hungry. There are people who take the unlimited free foods literally, which IMO might cause issues down the track but now I just eat until I feel full, rather than eating until there is nothing left and I can't move.

I'm not big on exercise to be honest - I will quite happily admit to being lazy, and I don't want to live a life without potatoes and rice, pasta etc... so I think this is why it works for me. I wanted to hit 2st loss by Christmas, so hopefully I can continue and get there a little bit sooner.

Does anyone else do it? How have you got on? Have you hit target or been able to maintain afterwards?

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
I've never done it Ciara but I know plenty who have, and they have all had success from it. Think it works because it tricks people into calorie counting with their syn system.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've never done it Ciara but I know plenty who have, and they have all had success from it. Think it works because it tricks people into calorie counting with their syn system.

Yeah, I think it's another way of controlling calorie and sugar intake.

Also has that group element, the weekly weigh-in to help people who aren't as committed to doing it alone.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I know a few who do it and to be honest, they are all fat again, but I'd say that it was down to them not sticking to it. Woman at work has been on it for years and she's still overweight. I think it is good for initially getting weight off though.

My sister in law keeps winning their slimmer awards at the local one, but her weight goes up and down. She lost 3 stone and was down to a good weight, then their Step-dad died so she's been off the programme and put a stone back on. She's back on it now so will get the stone off. She's a lot like me, when I'm pissed off or down I comfort eat and she does the same.

« Last Edit: September 2, 2016, 08:13:28 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I need to get back on this. Started using MFP a couple of years and got down to 14st 10lb at one point, still eating any old shite, but not exceeding my calories. Kept at a steady 15st 3 for a couple of years, but I suppose I got bored entering the details every day and the weight has slowly crept back on. I'm at a steady 16st now, so I need to start counting again and stop buying stuff off the food trolley that comes around at work.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
I've signed up to our local gym today.

The week before last me arl fella, me uncle and I climbed to the top of Snowdon and then walked back down it. On the way back down we followed the wrong path and ended up on the wrong side at the bottom. So we had to walk half way back up to get back on the right path. I'm not sure exactly what happened but we walked for a further 2 hours to get back to the car after we realised we had come down the wrong side.

I'm 23, a non smoker and social drinker, me dad is 50 and donated his kidney to another brother 2 years, he is a smoker of 25 years. My Uncle is 43 and has this year found out that he has an inoperable brain tumour. All I can say is I got absolutely shown up by the pair of them. My uncle is quite fit anyway, he goes to the gym very regular and runs to work everyday. My dad has never had an ounce of body fat on him in his life. He's 6 foot 2 and all skin and bone.

I wouldn't say I'm in terrible shape I'm 6 foot dead and just under 13 stone. My BMI is 24.6 which according to the Nhs is 'healthy weight' but I do believe it is very close to being overweight.  I used to play a lot of footy but had to give that up due to a nasty ankle injury. I started a new job almost 2 years ago, I now work in a bookies and do nothing but sit on my arse all day infront of a computer screen. I really haven't had the motivation to exercise regularly since no longer being able to play footy at a competitive level.

But after the other day, I've had a long hard look at myself and it's not on. I was huffing and puffing and out of breath half way up the hill, and there after I had to stop countless times to have a rest and catch my breath. My uncle was leading the way and I don't believe he would have had to stop if he wasn't waiting for me.

So back to the point, I've joined the gym today. I'm looking forward to getting fit again, we've planned to do the same walk just after Christmas, so it will be a good benchmark to see what progress I've made.

If anyone's interested, I'm considering doing a blog of my progress. Maybe it will inspire people who are in a similar position to me to take action.  :wave
YNWA - JFT97

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone
« Reply #5454 on: September 13, 2016, 11:28:20 pm »
Are you doing a blog then mate?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone
« Reply #5455 on: September 14, 2016, 09:05:53 am »
The one biggest change I made was tracking my food. The minute I started doing that, and once I knew what to aim for to make sure I had a calorie deficit, was when weight started dropping off.

I wasn't even doing much additional exercise when I started, and was still eating crap some of the time, but accounted for it all in MyFitnessPal, aimed for a deficit most days and it really worked.

Got to make sure you're honest when tracking the food though, and make sure you add everything in. Especially at first as it will allow you to identity hidden calories you're eating which you didn't think you were.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #5456 on: September 15, 2016, 07:03:02 pm »
Are you doing a blog then mate?

I haven't made a blog yet or started writing content, but I've been taking some pictures, so I've got some proof to go with what I'm writing. I might do it as a monthly thing as then you can (hopefully) see some differences.
YNWA - JFT97

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5457 on: September 20, 2016, 09:54:40 am »
I know a few who do it and to be honest, they are all fat again, but I'd say that it was down to them not sticking to it. Woman at work has been on it for years and she's still overweight. I think it is good for initially getting weight off though.

My sister in law keeps winning their slimmer awards at the local one, but her weight goes up and down. She lost 3 stone and was down to a good weight, then their Step-dad died so she's been off the programme and put a stone back on. She's back on it now so will get the stone off. She's a lot like me, when I'm pissed off or down I comfort eat and she does the same.

I can totally see why that is the case. I'm about 8 weeks into it despite a two week holiday, I am 15.5lbs lighter.

I do see so many bad habits within it - people relying on things with quite a bit of sugar in them, that if they were to come off the SW plan, gaining weight would be such an easy trap to fall into - they would still eat the bad foods they were 'allowed' when doing SW, but then everything else they eat off plan could see them put the weight on quicker than they lost it.

I'm happy to stick with it until I get close to my target and then I think I might move to a MFP-based approach, where you have all the control.

Offline Dave06

• Main Stander
Starting the Bodycoach (Joe Wicks) 90 day SSS plan tomorrow. Haven't got a great deal to lose and general reviews of the plan are pretty positive. Don't know how sustainable it is long term with the amount of prep required!

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge] Pro

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm

Still going to go for another 8lbs to take me to 11.5 stone. Feeling very knackered at this point but utterly worth it.

If people want advise on Keto/Low Carb approach let me know.
:D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wow! That's incredible - congratulations!

You look brilliant  :wave

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
Very well done mate. That's fantastic. I'm in a rut myself currently and need to lose the pounds and that's some great motivation right there. Well done!

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
I've just started a more sensible diet this week. I am trying to eat less of my favourite food group: carbohydrates. So instead of having chicken and potatoes I will have chicken and boiled vegetables instead. I'm actually enjoying. Have a lot more energy. I've also joined a gym again which has a personal trainer as part of the deal so he's been taking me through some exercises that are difficult enough but not to the point where they put me off. Hopefully these moderate workouts coupled with reducing my calorie intake should get rid of the flab.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Wow! That's incredible - congratulations!

You look brilliant  :wave

Thanks Ciara! :)

Very well done mate. That's fantastic. I'm in a rut myself currently and need to lose the pounds and that's some great motivation right there. Well done!

Thanks bud!

I was in a rut for years, I started University at about 11 stone and by the time I left I was 17.5, this continued for a year after too. I'd avoid going out, applying for jobs etc. Now I'm moving into a new house next week, start work as a Civil Servant in January and I'm feeling healthy.

I think baby-steps is the key, you try to go on a cut throat diet and pile in a workout regime in one go then you become overwhelmed. Make a simple diet plan which is easy to follow, stick it out for a while then start to improve - I didn't start cardio until 3 months in. Low-carb/Keto is a good way to go because you mainly eat proteins and fats, you feel full more often and a lot more energetic then a strictly calorie controlled plan.

I've just started a more sensible diet this week. I am trying to eat less of my favourite food group: carbohydrates. So instead of having chicken and potatoes I will have chicken and boiled vegetables instead. I'm actually enjoying. Have a lot more energy. I've also joined a gym again which has a personal trainer as part of the deal so he's been taking me through some exercises that are difficult enough but not to the point where they put me off. Hopefully these moderate workouts coupled with reducing my calorie intake should get rid of the flab.

Refined carbohydrates are pretty bad for you, such as the ones found in ready meals, chocolate, pasta etc. Even if you're not following a strict low carb diet like Keto... simply making sure you're having plenty of veg (lots of green ones too!) with your meals works wonders. Goodluck dude.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:15:42 am by Kashinoda »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Carbs really aren't bad. At all. You lost weight because you had a massive calorie deficit, not because you ate a low carb diet.

You could have eaten only carbs to the same calorie amount you did and you'd have lost the same amount.

Carbs get a bad rep because of these types of diets, when a lot of the research doesn't back up then being bad.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Carbs really aren't bad. At all. You lost weight because you had a massive calorie deficit, not because you ate a low carb diet.

You could have eaten only carbs to the same calorie amount you did and you'd have lost the same amount.

Carbs get a bad rep because of these types of diets, when a lot of the research doesn't back up then being bad.

Yeah sorry Craig, that wasn't what I meant. I've edited it now.

Low carb dieting is beneficial due to the lack of hunger and increased energy levels compared to simply calorie counting alone, this is true.

Having refined or processed carbs are to your detriment compared to natural ones, some details here: https://www.pritikin.com/your-health/healthy-living/eating-right/603-real-food-vs-processed-whats-in-your-carbs.html

I agree that carbs get a bad reputation (much like good fats, like saturated), and people think because they're on a low carb diet they can eat as much protein and fat as they want - which is completely false.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Totally agree with all that mate.

I was on a calorie deficit diet (fairly balanced rather than low carb, although I was lifting 5x a week so made sure to eat about 180g protein a day - about 720 calories) for the last year, and switched to a surplus as I begin to bulk for the next 6 or so months, most of that is coming from additional carbs. As you say though it's about which carbs you eat rather than just eating any old carbs (although they don't all have to be 'good' carbs).

At the end of the day, if the main goal is weight loss and not anything else at the same time like muscle growth, then the only thing you really need to concentrate on in a calorie deficit below your TDE. You could do this with just eating pizza each and every day if you really wanted to and would lose weight.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
I went from 111kg to 92kg by eating 2 Weetabix for breakfast. 2 toast ( Brown ) and a cup -a -soup at 10.30. Pasta and Ryvita at dinner time (it's dinner people, not lunch). Tea would be noodles and rice. Water and fruit would fill the gaps.    Started swimming again and walking every day instead of blobbing out on the couch. Cut the crap out and move.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
The one biggest change I made was tracking my food. The minute I started doing that, and once I knew what to aim for to make sure I had a calorie deficit, was when weight started dropping off.

I wasn't even doing much additional exercise when I started, and was still eating crap some of the time, but accounted for it all in MyFitnessPal, aimed for a deficit most days and it really worked.

Got to make sure you're honest when tracking the food though, and make sure you add everything in. Especially at first as it will allow you to identity hidden calories you're eating which you didn't think you were.

I did that exactly that last year with MyFitnessPal and in addition walked from work to the train station (20 minutes) and from the other end home (15-20 minutes) 3-4 times a week and lost 2 stones in 8 months.

I also never 'planned' to lose weight, only track what I was eating to see if I could see where the weight was coming from and maintained that thought all the way through, so I never beat myself up if I put on a couple of pounds in a week, because 'I'm not trying to lose weight' was my thought process.

I did want to lose another 8lb but found it hard going to motivate myself to keep tracking and adding everyday and stopped doing it. Since then, I've put back on about a stone.

I plan to do the same from the new year, but find it hard for motivation, even though I know it works for me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:04:51 am by Wullie160975 »

Online Wullie160975

• Legacy Fan

I was on a calorie deficit diet (fairly balanced rather than low carb, although I was lifting 5x a week so made sure to eat about 180g protein a day - about 720 calories) for the last year, and switched to a surplus as I begin to bulk for the next 6 or so months, most of that is coming from additional carbs. As you say though it's about which carbs you eat rather than just eating any old carbs (although they don't all have to be 'good' carbs).

At the end of the day, if the main goal is weight loss and not anything else at the same time like muscle growth, then the only thing you really need to concentrate on in a calorie deficit below your TDE. You could do this with just eating pizza each and every day if you really wanted to and would lose weight.

I don't know, have you seen how many calories are in a 10 inch pizza? About half of a male standard calorie intake. And don't get me started on the number of calories in a Dominoes pizza. About 1350 IIRC.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I don't know, have you seen how many calories are in a 10 inch pizza? About half of a male standard calorie intake. And don't get me started on the number of calories in a Dominoes pizza. About 1350 IIRC.

Yeah pizza is easily one of the most calorific meals you can have. If you could survive off the little amount of pizza which added up to your calorie target for that day though then you'd still lose weight.

I'd also probably suggest to not pay too much attention to the scales, certainly not on a daily basis, and certainly not if you're doing any sort of exercise - your weight will naturally fluctuate and if you're exercising then you will put on muscle and tone up.

Take pictures and compare them if you want to see progress and the added motivation of seeing change. And if you do want to use your weight too then take it at the same time everyday and average the previous 7-10 days to get a bit of a more accurate figure.

Online Wullie160975

• Legacy Fan
I found that the best feeling was having to get a smaller size of trousers (twice in the 8 months) after struggling to fit into what I was originally wearing, the best feeling.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Scales are horrible, I had a 3 week stint where they told me I lost absolutely nothing. I binned them off.

Admittedly you can appear to stall on diets, but it will average out. Even with that supposed 'stall' I lost on average 12-13lbs a month which is about all you could hope for, probably some muscle loss their too admittedly.

How much surplus are you over your TDEE for adding muscle?

I've only ever been interested in losing weight because I was simply too large, but in the new year I'd like to add some moderate muscle and just increase some definition. Scared about ballooning I guess, but my lifestyle is drastically different to when I used to pile it on.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:33:07 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Been in a massive rut since about this time last year, always been athletic playing lots of footy and going the gym 3-4 days a week but now only play footy once a week and not been the gym in months.

Been on the ale a bit too which has done me in, looking to get back to how I used to be for my holiday in April.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've lost just over 10kg in 15 weeks and to be honest, I eat so many carbs. And have done very little by way of exercise.

Almost everyday I will have pasta, rice or potatoes and I don't feel it has hindered my in any way. I do feel like bread does though, white bread specifically. If I have a day where I eat a lot of bread then I will feel that on myself for a few days afterwards.

Pizza is undoubtedly my favourite food, so binning that off was a big change. I make my own now, using a wholemeal/glutten free wrap, some tomato puree for the base, then load it with veg, sprinkle some cheese and after a few minutes in the oven, it really feels like a proper pizza.

There are definitely healthier alternatives to people's favourites meals, without having to feel like you are depriving yourself.

I definitely wish I had done this sooner. Over one and half stone gone and although I haven't been exercising, I do feel a lot fitter, which tempts me to try and incorporate some exercise into my life, it's just getting started and taking the first steps that are holding me back. I did a 5k a few years ago, so I know I can do something if I put my mind to it. It's just trying to stop the lazy mindset.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Start with doing HIIT if you're looking to do cardio.

It's a quick workout (compared to jogging), it incorporates rest so is easier to get into from a starting point of not currently doing exercise, and the results you can get from it are staggering.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
On the subject of HIIT has anyone ever tried the body coach 90 day challenge ?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
shit balls

well 2 and a bit years ago i was 18 stone 9

went hell for leather to get in shape for a wedding in july 15

got  down to 15 stone 12

last 6 weeks i havent been the gym once, though im not really drinking too much, unfortunately under a lot of stress with my car right now. stood on scales this morning. 18 stone 10

wasted all that effort.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I assume you've been putting it on since July 15 and not put on 3 stone in 6 weeks?!  :o

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
I assume you've been putting it on since July 15 and not put on 3 stone in 6 weeks?!  :o
gradually yes. hahaha 3 stone in 6 weeks id be dead

6 and a bit months ago i ran a marathon

had nothing to focus on since. need to shift it before xmas

im hoping my car is sorted because its effected me big time and hopefully i can get back to normal now.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR