Author Topic: Shark Thread  (Read 42578 times)

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
Re: Shark Thread
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2011, 01:08:57 pm »
I feel the exact same as J-MC , I remember watching Jaws for some reason the night before I went into the ocean for the first time in my life. We rented wave-runners and had a great time (I was very cautious about not getting thrown into the water) but I was scared shitless the entire time. Towards the end, my waverunner, out of the twenty or so people there, decided to bog down and die. Our group leader told me to jump off and flip it over to check for seaweed in the exhaust. You couldn't see a foot below the surface, so I panicked, and after a few minutes of consoling they got me to jump in. I was clinging to the side of my wave-runner the entire time, it seemed like an eternity but was only a minute or two.

I always get in the ocean anytime I go from now on, but not a second goes by without me internally panicking. I remember feeling something brush by my leg one time and suddenly I was Michael Phelps

I grew up on the coast so never had an issue with the sea. Beach in the summer is fantastic as long as the weathers nice too.
My half brothers a lifeguard and loves all water sports like surfing, body boarding, the kite surfing is quality too.

Been stung by a jelly fish twice in my life hurts like a mother fucker. Couldnt walk after the first time. Mate tried to piss on me second time round I nearly fucking killed him!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »
A friend of mine in Asia (shark contact actually, he comes up with great pics) recently sent me this picture of a large great white shark accidentaly (i.e snagged in commercial nets) caught off Korea earlier this month:

It's a big great white for sure (at least 17ft) but if that guy on the left wasn't in the shot it would look like a 25ft 'Jaws sized' monster haha.

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2011, 06:16:23 pm »
i was snorkeling on the great barrier reef when a coral shark (i think) about a meter and a half  just swam right beneath me, thought i'd shit me self, but i was calm, amazing experience
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »
Did we ever find out what bit that great white shark that was posted in a thread on here a while back? Anyone remember it?

It was suggested it might have been a huge great white....the though of a Megalodon is just scary!
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2011, 02:39:23 am »
^

Think a 17 or 18 footer (like the one in the pic I posted) could have done that bite. The shark that was bit wasn't all that big.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2011, 08:34:02 am »
When we were at Typhoon Lagoon in Florida a few years ago, there was a "Swim with Sharks" experience. The sharks were Leopard sharks. We got in the water and swam across the pool and you could see the sharks at the bottom of the pool....The wife and I could hear the Jaws music in our head the entire time we were swimming even though we knew the sharks we harmless. The kids loved though and because it was quiet we went around another 8 or 9 times. It was quite exhilarating....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2011, 09:11:43 am »
I did the shark swim at Typhoon Lagoon last year, despite hating swimming with fish so avoid the sea, but my missus enjoys that kind of thing. I pretty much swam straight across the pool whereas she took her time. Was cool looking down and seeing that shark shape swimming right underneath tho

Offline Car

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »
Nice video of Gray reef sharks in the bahamas

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=14756752&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=14756752&amp;amp</a>

Why those small fishes surround the head of one particular shark but not the others?
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." Steven Gerrard.

Offline cathy-lfc-taff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »
Shit scared of the sea. Don't know why, I've never been keen, even in this country I think I'm going to get eaten by some sea monster so there'd be no chance of me venturing into the ocean in South Africa etc. I'll just respect the sea and everything swimming in it from a nice safe distance.

Bit of a silly question but if you don't ask you don't find out - what happens with sharks etc during things like Tsunami's? The events in Japan got me thinking, that all had to start somewhere deep out in the ocean, what goes on there and how do the animals react?
I wish my balls were as big as Dirk's.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2011, 10:36:31 pm »
Shit scared of the sea. Don't know why, I've never been keen, even in this country I think I'm going to get eaten by some sea monster so there'd be no chance of me venturing into the ocean in South Africa etc. I'll just respect the sea and everything swimming in it from a nice safe distance.

Bit of a silly question but if you don't ask you don't find out - what happens with sharks etc during things like Tsunami's? The events in Japan got me thinking, that all had to start somewhere deep out in the ocean, what goes on there and how do the animals react?
I would imagine they swim away as quick as fucking possible - well its what I would do if I were a fish ;D
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline fd1

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2011, 09:28:45 am »

tsunamis have a bigger affect on coastal marine life than further out in the ocean for obvious reasons, further out at sea in deeper waters i wouldn't imagine it had any major imapact on marine life at all.

i've read the tsunami that happened a few years back, and how wild animals seemed to have some sort of a sixth sense for this type of thing and a disproportianately low number of animals died. also read some stuff about how fish in aquariums seemed to go a bit scatty before the earthquakes/tsunamis. i don't thing anyone really knows though (from a scientific point of view).

did anyone read about the bull sharks swimming about in some suburban brisbane town a few months back during the floods? i suppose tsunamis are different as most of the water is pulled back into the sea, but would be interesting to know if there was much marine life stranded hundreds of metres inshore in japan.

Offline Kop Kings

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2011, 04:40:02 pm »
For all those interested in the 1916 Jersey attacks:

This video shows a couple of guys going to "the scene of the crime" so to speak. It's crazy looking at the creek now, you just can't imagine a shark swimming around in such a narrow creek. Very eerie video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3_tzog6wyM

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »
For all those interested in the 1916 Jersey attacks:

This video shows a couple of guys going to "the scene of the crime" so to speak. It's crazy looking at the creek now, you just can't imagine a shark swimming around in such a narrow creek. Very eerie video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3_tzog6wyM

Cheers mate.

Yeah very narrow and shallow that. For a shark to swim up miles of brackish water so murky and narrow and shallow it has GOT to have been a bull shark.

Offline fd1

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: April 5, 2011, 07:33:30 am »
no thanks, fucking nutter...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373199/Risky-business-Shark-expert-sets-prove-remote-threat-humans-surfing-just-FEET-away-great-white.html

This is the moment when a shark expert risked life and limb by paddling on a surfboard just feet away from a great white shark.
South African Chris Fallows, who runs diving and shark-spotting trips off Cape Town, went paddle boarding off the coasts of South Africa and Mexico, moving within sight of the predators in an attempt to dispel the theory that they post a threat to humans.
The 36-year-old has 20 years of experience working with the animals, and says it has become a passion of his to show that sharks do not regard people as normal food items.

'The chances of a great white shark simply rushing in and attacking a human are very remote,' Chris said

'Some people have this idea that sharks will attack on sight and this is not true at all. My goal is to show people that sharks and humans can under most circumstances share the same space.'
Chris - who says his fascination with underwater life began when he was a small child, has made documentaries in the past for the Discovery Channel's Shark Week, as well as running Apex Shark Expeditions, which allows tourists to get up close and personal with sharks.
He is also a renowned photographer of sharks and sealife, with the aim of giving people a better understanding of their role in nature.

'All the images I take and documentaries we have involved ourselves with have a strong conservation slant to them,' he said on his official website.

'The best way to change people's perceptions is by seeing the animal, and this is my opportunity to show the

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #95 on: April 5, 2011, 07:35:48 pm »
It was around in prehistoric times, however, with global warming rising sea levels, there have been a number of incidents in the past century that lead scientists to believe that the Megalodon still exists, and has been living in the abyys for millions of years, but the sea temperature is bringing them closer to the surface.

Refuse to believe I'm the only one who read that and thought "sounds like the synopsis to a straight-to-TV horror movie."

I'm going to see what's on the Sci-Fi channel and Zone Horror tonight.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Cragsi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 5, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »
Refuse to believe I'm the only one who read that and thought "sounds like the synopsis to a straight-to-TV horror movie."

I'm going to see what's on the Sci-Fi channel and Zone Horror tonight.

Steer clear of Sharktopus, Dinocroc v Supergator, Mega Python v Gatoroid (altho Tiffany has teh huge assed titties in that) and Mega Shark v Giant Octopus (tho Lorenzo Lamas is in it, its still shit)
Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom a stab in the back
Women and children and cowards attaaaaaack...

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 5, 2011, 10:57:47 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373199/Risky-business-Shark-expert-sets-prove-remote-threat-humans-surfing-just-FEET-away-great-white.html

Saw a documentary the other month where a guy free dived for 24 hours in Great White waters and wasn't touched once.....

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #98 on: April 5, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »
Saw a documentary the other month where a guy free dived for 24 hours in Great White waters and wasn't touched once.....
They probably weren't hungry.

Offline fd1

• Kopite
« Reply #99 on: April 6, 2011, 06:52:56 am »

yup i think i seen clips of that on youtube, they were swimming up to him and he was just pushing them away by their noses. and wasn't he trying to put them in a trance by turning them on their backs too?

i know not every shark that comes near you is going to attack you. if you spend much time in the water then you probably have a fair few close encounters with sharks over your life and are none the wiser as they'll swim right past you. that said, would you really put your life on the line and play with the odds by swimming with dangerous sharks, especially great whites? that eric ritter fella did it with bull sharks and eventually lost half his leg.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 8, 2011, 08:39:19 am »
^

Agree with the last post. Law of averages and all that. With great white sharks as well when you are actually IN the water and looking at them underneath the surface you are less likely to be attacked. Great white sharks are mostly ambush predators that like to rise up from below and attack a surface object.

Comparatively few divers have been attacked by sharks when they have actually been underwater. Divers are mostly 'hit' when they are at the surface, not while deep underwater. Of course there are occasions that go against the norm but generally you are most at risk on the surface.

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #101 on: April 8, 2011, 09:08:12 pm »
Diving on the great barrier reef a few years ago, a white tip reef shark swam right into my face full pelt.  It was on a night dive and approached my buddy's light before seeing us, shitting itself and bolting, straight into me unfortunately!

Used to teach diving on the Yongala off townsville, which has a resident bull shark, i was gutted i never got to see it, but saw some meaty grey reek sharks and shovel nosed rays.

Completely agree id much rather come accross a shark 30 meters underwater than at the surface!

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »
My killer sharks!

'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Cragsi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:55 am »
My killer sharks!

Fish are friends not food!
Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom a stab in the back
Women and children and cowards attaaaaaack...

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:14 am »
May 22nd going to see a couple of these :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qPn16ol6TNo?fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qPn16ol6TNo?fs=1&amp;</a>

Offline fd1

• Kopite
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2011, 06:46:57 am »
My killer sharks!

haha, nice. i just set up my aquarium the other week. i have 2 loaches that kind of remind me of sharks, don't know what they are. also 2 clown loaches (andy and luis) and a siamese fighting fish among various barbs and tetras.

i had some interesting news last week. some researchers might be coming to town and are looking for volunteers to help tag and release sharks. hopefully it goes ahead soon as it's whale shark season and i'm not going to lie - i'm pretty excited about it.

Online Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:52 am »

fuck that!!!

i was snorkeling on the great barrier reef when a coral shark (i think) about a meter and a half  just swam right beneath me, thought i'd shit me self, but i was calm, amazing experience

the exact same thing happened to me a couple months ago....but i shat myself

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »
New series of Shark Men starts at 5pm on NatGeoWild (I think)....where they catch, tag and release Great Whites.....amazing programme!!!

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »
 I fully expected someone to have posted something about Chinbits.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2011, 03:07:07 pm »
I fully expected someone to have posted something about Chinbits.

Why he's a dolphin not a shark? And everyone knows Dolphins are the Amir of the Sea.

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2011, 03:10:40 pm »
haha, nice. i just set up my aquarium the other week. i have 2 loaches that kind of remind me of sharks, don't know what they are. also 2 clown loaches (andy and luis) and a siamese fighting fish among various barbs and tetras.

i had some interesting news last week. some researchers might be coming to town and are looking for volunteers to help tag and release sharks. hopefully it goes ahead soon as it's whale shark season and i'm not going to lie - i'm pretty excited about it.

If you want help in identifying them post them.
'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2011, 03:11:43 pm »
Why he's a dolphin not a shark? And everyone knows Dolphins are the Amir of the Sea.

No you're a dolphin.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2011, 03:12:36 pm »

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2011, 03:13:53 pm »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2011, 03:15:29 pm »

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »
Diving a week or 2 ago in Sharm i saw plenty of Rays but im positive i saw something like a Wobbegong hiding under a reef. Still can't identify it.

Offline fd1

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: May 8, 2011, 10:03:24 am »
just thought i'd give this a bit of a bump with a story i read the other day...

http://www.undercurrent.org/blog/2009/09/10/diving-shark-attack/

Be forewarned. There are no traces of my trademark dry humor to be found
in this story and there’s no happy ending. It’s probably as close as
I’ve come to my trip to Valhalla. In October of 1972 it happened like
this:

Rod Temple and Robbie McIlvaine were waiting for me when I drove up
to the beach at Cane Bay on St. Croix’s north shore. This area of the
Virgin Islands had some of the best wall diving in the eastern
Caribbean and the drop off was an easy swim from shore eliminating a
long boat ride from Christiansted. We unloaded our gear and began to
dress under the shade of the palms while a dozen or so tourists
watched with interest. Diving was still not an every day sport for
most people and the double tanks and underwater camera equipment we
dragged into place and began to assemble held a certain fascination.

We were setting off to recover some samples from a collecting
experiment we have placed on the wall for a local marine science lab.
Six days before we had positioned our large support float right over
the drop off with the research vessel and carefully loaded our
sediment traps, nets and lines so they’d be ready for positioning in
various locations in the shallow patch reef and the deep wall. Today
we planned to inspect one project at 210 feet and shoot some
photography of the area. Rod transferred the dive profile and
decompression information to his slate as Robbie and I rounded up the
remainder of the equipment and walked into the warm ocean to begin
our leisurely surface swim to the float station about 300 yards
offshore.

We’d done Cane Bay hundreds of times in the last two years both for
work and for fun. And this October morning was no different than
scores of others as we snorkeled over the clear sand a few feet
beneath our fins. As usual, Rod struck a livelier pace and forged on
ahead while we wallowed in his wake towing the photo gear and another
plexi-glass marine specimen trap the lab wanted set in the chute that
spilled over the wall.

Reaching the float, Robbie retrieved the snap swivels that would
anchor the trap into our rope grid strung on the wall face. Rod
reviewed the deco schedule, “Look, if we can get this thing set up
and check out the project at 210 in fifteen minutes, we can save a
lot of decompression. Can you do the photos in that time frame if I
run the lines on the plexi trays?

“Sure,” I replied, “but don’t go wandering off in case Robbie needs
help getting snapped in with the trap. That thing’s a bitch to swim
with.”

“No problem,” Rod smiled back. “I don’t mind doing the heavy work for
you lazy Yanks.”

His British enthusiasm belied the fact that Robbie and I were about
twice his size and strength although he was older and more
experienced. We both gave him an “up yours” salute knowing full well
that any heavy lifting always came our way while Rod handled the
paperwork. As the timekeeper and dive leader, he would keep track of
our dive profile, work in progress, remaining air status, and then
run the deco schedule.

He eased away from the float and we began to swim the short distance
over the deep blue that marked the drop off. The visibility was
great, over 125 feet horizontally and even better looking up and
down. A mild swell wrapped around the point and the sea was calm. Two
of the Navy vessels that we worked with on submarine listening tests
were just a few miles offshore and we could hear their acoustical
sound generators pinging away as we descended.

Rod settled in on top of the wall at 100 feet and we joined up to
check gauges before slipping over in a gentle glide to the first
workstation at 180 feet. Robbie re-arranged the open ends of the
traps to aim in the west quadrant this week and I fired off photos to
record the scene. Most of the scientists who contracted us didn’t do
much diving themselves and they insisted on reams of photography so
they could get an accurate idea of conditions in the deep-water zones
they were studying.

Signaling that we were finished, Rod led us over the coral buttresses
and came to rest next to the deep project. It had slid a bit deeper
during the week so Robbie and I eased it back into position and hoped
it would stay put this time. This occupied our attention for most of
ten minutes when Rod excitedly tapped me on the shoulder to point out
the approach of two oceanic whitetip sharks. This was nothing new to
us as we dove with sharks routinely but it was rare to see these
notoriously aggressive open ocean species in so close to shore. They
passed within about ten feet of us and I shot a few photos as they
swam off to the east.

We finished up the required observations and Rod filled out the field
logs on his slate. Right on schedule he indicated; we were going to
get out with only about 20 minutes of deco it looked like. Robbie
started up first and pointed out the sharks again as they swam by him
headed over the coral and down into the sand chute. I remember
thinking how strange it was to see pelagic oceanic whitetips right
here on the wall at Cane Bay. It was kind of like walking off your
back porch and seeing an African lion when you expected an alley cat.

We’d had our fair share of nasty encounters with these whitetips when
we worked offshore. They were immortalized in the classic documentary
movie Blue Water, White Death released about a year and half earlier
starring Stan Waterman, Peter Gimbel, and Ron & Valerie Taylor. Their
daring to swim with hundreds of these predators while they fed on a
whale carcass off South Africa had been permanently etched into every
diver’s memory of that era. The sharks frequently bit our equipment,
the steel cables deployed from the research vessel, and even the
shafts and propellers on occasion. We were convinced that they would
bite us as well once they got going and never turned our backs on
them without another diver riding shotgun. But these two didn’t seem
to pay us any attention and I turned to begin the ascent behind Robbie.

Our plan called for Rod to be the last guy up. I rendezvoused with
Robbie at about 175 just over a ledge and we both rested on the coral
to wait for him to join us. He was late and Robbie fidgeted pointing
to his pressure gauge not wanting to run low on air. I shrugged and
gave him a “What am I supposed to do?” look and we continued to wait.
Suddenly Robbie dropped his extra gear and catapulted himself toward
the wall pointing at a mass of bubble exhaust coming from the deeper
water.

We both figured that Rod had some sort of air failure either at the
manifold of his doubles or a regulator. Since my air consumption was
markedly less, I decided to send Robbie up and I would go see if Rod
needed help. As I descended in the bubble cloud, Robbie gave me an
anxious OK sign and started up.

But when I reached Rod things were about as bad as they could get.
One of the sharks had bitten him on the left thigh without
provocation and blood was gushing in green clouds from the wound. I
was horrified and couldn’t believe my eyes. He was desperately trying
to beat the 12-foot animal off his leg and keep from sinking deeper.
I had no idea where the second shark was and lunged to grab his right
shoulder harness strap to pull him up.

Almost simultaneously the second shark hit Rod in the same leg and
bit him savagely. I could see Rod desperately gouging at the shark’s
eyes and gills as he grimly fought to beat off his attackers. With my
free hand I blindly punched at the writhing torsos of the animals as
they tore great hunks of flesh from my friend in flashes of open jaws
and vicious teeth. Locked in mortal combat, we both beat at the
sharks in frantic panic.

And then they suddenly let go. I dragged Rod up the sand chute…  half
walking and half swimming. Once clear of the silt I could see Robbie
about 100 feet above us looking on in horror. He started down to us
as I lifted Rod off the bottom and kicked with all my might toward
the surface.

But in less than fifteen seconds the first shark returned and hit him
again and began towing us both over the drop off. The attack had
probably only lasted a minute at this point but Rod had lost a huge
amount of blood and tissue and had gone limp in my grasp. I was still
behind him clutching his right harness strap as the second larger
shark hit him again on the opposite side down around the left calf.
Like the other, this shark bit and hung on as we tumbled down the
wall face.

We were dropping rapidly now completely out of control. My efforts to
kick up were fruitless as the sharks continued to bite and tear at
their victim, all the while dragging us deeper. I felt Rod move again
to fend off another attack and my hopes soared upon realizing that he
was still alive. I clung briefly to the edge of the drop off wall to
arrest our rapid descent. The coral outcropping gave us some slight
protection and for a moment the attacks stopped.

Both sharks retreated into the blue and I watched them circle our
position from about ten feet away. To my horror I saw one shark
swallow the remains of Rod’s lower left leg right before my eyes. The
other gulped a mouthful of flesh it had torn off. I tried to push Rod
into the coral in an effort to shield him from another attack but
there was nothing to afford any real shelter. As I turned away from
the waiting predators, Rod and I came face to face for the first time
during the attack. He shook his head weakly and tried to push me
away. I grabbed for his waist harness for a new grip and felt my hand
sink into his mutilated torso. There was no harness left to reach
for. He had been partially disemboweled.

Shrieking into my mouthpiece in fury, I pulled him from the coral and
took off pumping for the surface with him clutched to my chest.
Immediately the sharks were on us again. I felt the larger one
actually force me to one side as it savagely sought to return to the
wounds that gushed billows of dark blood into the ocean around us.
Rod screamed for the last time as the second shark seized him by the
mid-section and shook him. The blue water turned horribly turbid with
bits of human tissue and blood. Once we were turned completely over
and I felt Rod torn away from me.

I watched his lifeless body drift into the abyss with the sharks
still hitting him. The attack had started around 200 feet. My depth
gauge was pegged at 325 feet now but I knew we were far deeper than
that. The grimness of my own situation forced itself on me through a
fog of narcosis and exertion.

That’s when I ran out of air. I think that subconsciously I almost
decided to stay there and die. It seemed so totally hopeless and my
strength was completely sapped. But I put my head back and put all my
muscle and effort into a wide steady power kick for the surface. I
forced all thoughts to maintaining that kick cycle and willed myself
upward.

After what seemed like an eternity I sneaked a look at my depth
gauge: it was still pegged at 325 feet. I sucked hard on the
regulator and got a bit of a breath. Not much, but it fueled my
oxygen starved brain a bit longer and I prayed my legs would get me
up shallow enough to get another breath before the effects of hypoxia
shut my systems down forever.

There’s really no way to describe what it’s like to slowly starve the
brain of oxygen in combination with adrenaline-induced survival
instincts. But I remember thinking if I could just concentrate on
kicking I could make it. After a while the sense of urgency faded and
I remember looking for the surface through a red haze that gradually
closed down into a tunnel before I passed out. The panic was gone and
I went to sleep thinking “Damn, I almost made it.”

I woke up on the surface retching and expelling huge belches of
expanding air. Apparently the small volume of air in the vintage
safety vest I wore had been enough to float me the final distance and
save my life. But I still had to deal with an unknown amount of
omitted decompression and the certainty that I was severely bent.

Swimming to shore as fast I could, I felt my legs going numb. By the
time I reached the beach I could barely stand. A couple on their
honeymoon waded out and dragged me up on the sand. I gasped out
instructions to get the oxygen unit from our van and collapsed. In an
incredible burst of good fortune, it turned out the wife was an ER
nurse from Florida and understood the pathology of decompression
sickness. They got a steady flow of oxygen into me and ran to call
the diving emergency numbers that I directed her to on the dive
clipboard.

I drifted away again into unconsciousness and was revived at the
airport where a med-evac flight was waiting to fly me to Puerto Rico.
But the Navy chamber at the base on the island’s west end was down
and it was decided to take me to the only other functional facility
up on the island’s northwest corner nearly 200 miles farther away.
But the flight crew was afraid I wouldn’t make it when we ran low on
oxygen shortly after passing San Juan. So they had the police stop
traffic on the main divided highway and landed on the road where a
waiting Coast Guard helicopter snatched me away to the hospital roof.

Two days later I was released but with residual numbness in my arms
and legs, substantial hearing loss, and legal blindness in my right
eye that persisted until corrected by modern laser surgery in 1997.

Robbie’s last view of Rod and me was as we were dragged over the wall
in a cloud of blood by the sharks. He never saw my free ascent and so
reported us both killed when he got to shore. It was not until I
called my dad from the hospital a day later that he knew I had survived.

A week later we had Rob’s memorial service at the beach. I resumed
diving the next day. His body was never recovered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aftermath: this attack in 1972 was widely reported and shark experts
speculate that the oceanic whitetips may have been attracted and then
stimulated by the low frequency sound in the water from the nearby
submarine testing. The previous deepest depth that a diver survived a
free ascent from was 180 feet. Gilliam was probably closer to 400
feet. He was cited for heroism by the Virgin Islands government for
risking his own life to try to save his partner. In 1993, British
television (BBC) produced a special on the incident as part of a
series called “Dead Men’s Tales”.

Offline fd1

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: May 8, 2011, 10:07:20 am »
also, some (old but interesting) information on transoceanic migration of great whites http://www.whitesharktrust.org/migration.html

Offline fd1

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2011, 04:31:03 am »
in malapascua diving monad shoal for the thresher sharks. once in a lifetime stuff, it's awesome. ive attached some pics that were taken (not by me) on our dives.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:36:19 am by fd1 »