Author Topic: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!  (Read 26188 times)

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!
« Reply #120 on: February 8, 2011, 08:13:46 pm »
The EL is not much of a comp until it gets to the latter stages, I think it's worth taking all the grief about if being the lesser competition, cos come May, any fan would want there team in a European final. Dublin will be a great location, just hope if we get there it won't against somebody like man city
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline sixpackred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: February 8, 2011, 08:18:00 pm »
Yep - CL means "big" players want to come and join us. Not being in there has cost us torres and looks as if Reina is having second thoughts
"Big" players ain't all they cracked up to be though let's face it.
Torres was a weight on our shoulders (we just did not notice it).
We arnt in the CL right now and we just signed two very good lads. No problem there.
The main thing about the CL spot is the TV revenue we get. I'd rather have a trophy in the cabinet myself.
"There are things to sort out with the owners and the sale of the club. It is not in the hands of the players but, once we are done with all that, let's build a proper team with a proper squad that is competitive. Maybe then we can start to fight for bigger targets."

Pepe Reina / May 01, 2010

Offline fisher_lad

• Main Stander
  • Has a Liverbird upon his chest!
« Reply #122 on: February 8, 2011, 08:19:52 pm »
Definatly could do both, for me though how well we do all depends on how quickly Andy Carroll is introduced into the team and once he is back, how quickly he makes an impact. I can't see us achieving 4th and winning the EL without a recognized out and out goalscorer.
YNWA

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #123 on: February 8, 2011, 08:21:07 pm »
Actually winning one of a limited number of available silverware is for me a bigger achievement. Just goes to show how screwed modern football is that finishing 4th is viewed as a much bigger achievement than actually winning something.

I would have said finishing 4th is vital for the club because it allows to buy from the top table when it comes to transfers. However after seeing Suarez and Carroll join us I'm a bit more relaxed now. Given the profile of the sort of player we seem to be after having CL football immediate probably isn't an essential requirement.
Are we saying City can't compete at the top table for transfers ?
Do we really need top table players to compete in a league where 15+ teams play rush ball and have teams consisting of a bunch of thugs in football boots?
I feel that we have struggled in the league and exceeded in Europe is due to our preference for smaller technically skilled players.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline The Kings Army

• Anny Roader
« Reply #124 on: February 8, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »
I'd love to see us continue to develop this sense of confidence and control were seeing in games. In the past we've been too hit and miss with our controlling of a game whilst finishing off the opponent.  Wolves away was the standout example of a completely dominant performance. Even though in places we lacked finesse and accuracy our overall performance was assured and we simply "got the job done." As much as I'd love to see us become a Barcelona type side that literally take the piss for 90 mins, I think LFC's most important asset has always been our work ethic.

For the first time in a long time, i'm starting to get that feeling of "the complete team" back, and i think with Kenny and Steve Clarke at the helm it wont be long before we're challenging for honours again. Their preferred tactics are hard to pinpoint, they just seem to outthink teams, akin to Benitez 2005. I think a solid spine is working its way to the fore again, and its nice to see us preparing for the future and the present. We've shown many times in the past that the underdogs prevail. Whos says 4th and 5th is out of our hands. All we can do is win our remaining games. With that said I think we should surely considered amongst the favourites for the europa league

Its a good time to be a Liverpool fan, and I am thoroughly enjoying our new life thus far. Lets just see where it takes us.
There's high, and then there's high, and to get really high--i mean so high that you can walk on the water, that high--  that's where i'm going"
George Harrison

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 8, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »
nothing beats a cup final!

that said, i hope we finish 4th (or higher) as well. can barely believe its a consideration after the season we had. 
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 8, 2011, 08:28:36 pm »
The way we're playing at the moment anything is possible, but 4th for me would be incredible, watching reruns of CL games in recent years makes me want us to be back there so bad. I thought before Kenny returned it could be a good five years at least before we were in with a shout of getting back in so to think we could be playing the likes of Barcelona and Real next season is mental. Obviously a lot of 'ifs' mind.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #127 on: February 8, 2011, 08:43:01 pm »
The Europa League is a very important trophy for us this season and as such we must channel our energies into winning it. It seems an eternity since we last won a trophy and afterall this football club's ethos is all about winning trophies!
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline fromthepen

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • man and boy a red
« Reply #128 on: February 8, 2011, 08:46:48 pm »
i booked my flight and hotel for 2 nights in Dublin in May back in december.....cracking place for a euro final ....and might book my hotel for Nice in August for the super cup....in Kenny I trust
let me see LFC win one more title before my time is up!

Offline sat

• urday's my half day off, and off to the match I go
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 8, 2011, 08:49:04 pm »
i would rather the europa league, coz if chelsea fall below us and win the champions league, they take our place in hte CL and we get the EL again, despite finishing 4th
Chelsea will not win the CL

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 8, 2011, 08:58:29 pm »
The Hodgson thread got me thinking that while our form under him in the league was utterly diabolical somehow he has guided us to the knockout stages of the Europa League - a terrible indictment of the standard of that competition - but evidence enough that with our form under King Kenny we have a realistic chance of winning this competition

Our next fixture is against Sparta Prague and if we get through that we would face Lech Poznan or Braga in the last 16. Winnable? Absolutely. As far as I can tell our biggest rivals to take this trophy would be Man City, CSKA Moscow, Porto & Sevilla ...all teams I think we could beat over two legs

Who thinks its a worthy goal? It was a great stepping stone for Valencia & Porto in recent times ...and we could go on and beat Barca in the European Super Cup in August! ;-)

It would be great to win it.

The UEFA Cup has always been valued by us and should still be.  Winning it this season would be a huge boost for the players, be yet another trophy in the cabinet, increase the levels of confidence and self belief at the club and show the owners just what a European final night can be like, even if it is the 'second best' competition.

I a sure under Kenny we will be going out to win every game and the Europa Cup (hate that name) will be no difference.

Can't wait to see us in another European final :)
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #131 on: February 8, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »
It is a sad indictment of the money which controls (ruins) modern day football that we would prefer fourth spot to winning a trophy that used to hold real significance in the trophy cabinet.

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 8, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »
I think Man City are the one's to chase. I'd love to win the Europa League though. Winning cups is what it's all about. Then we can make an assault on the league next year.
@paulair

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 8, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »
The Europa League is vitally important. Usually its the first trophy that is hardest to win and by getting this under our belt, we will not only satisfy players who want more medals, but also instill a sense of confidence and belief within the squad that you cannot get from league finishes alone.

Plus, we are LFC. We exist to win trophies. 4 years is too long a time for this club to have gone without one.

Agree with that. No medals for coming fourth, yes it gets you in the Champions League but no silverware. Also given that we are out of the FA cup as well, the squad won't be as stretched as it would do if we were still in it so we should be able to go after both the EL and the League, rather than having to prioritise either too much.

Also, Suarez has effectively had a 2 month break, so he'll be plenty fresh for the games during the League run-in, and can't play in the EL so should stay good and sharp. Carroll has also had a break due to injury so once he's fit again (and gets some games under his belt) fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

A far cry from relying on Torres to stay fit and contribute on 2 fronts...
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 8, 2011, 09:33:02 pm »
It is a sad indictment of the money which controls (ruins) modern day football that we would prefer fourth spot to winning a trophy that used to hold real significance in the trophy cabinet.

It is indeed mate, but personally i think securing a CL place would be more beneficial in the long term, although i can't really see it happening.

Offline kazjendan

• Our Reluctant Correspondent In Europe
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #135 on: February 8, 2011, 09:33:48 pm »
Playing in the Europa League is more of a chore than a luxury. I suppose we have been spoilt under rafa playing in the champions league but for me it just gets in the way of progressing in the league with still a very good chance of finishing in the top 4 this season. To finish 4th this season would give me so much more of a buzz than winning the europa league....

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #136 on: February 8, 2011, 09:49:59 pm »
Playing in the Europa League is more of a chore than a luxury. I suppose we have been spoilt under rafa playing in the champions league but for me it just gets in the way of progressing in the league with still a very good chance of finishing in the top 4 this season. To finish 4th this season would give me so much more of a buzz than winning the europa league....

I can see the logic of people who say 4th place would be better in the long term but i find not being able to buzz off a cup final really depressing.
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #137 on: February 8, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »
I honestly cannot believe that our biggest worry is whether we would rather win a trophy or finish fourth....
Thanks FSG, thanks Kenny.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 8, 2011, 09:57:28 pm »
i would rather the europa league, coz if chelsea fall below us and win the champions league, they take our place in hte CL and we get the EL again, despite finishing 4th

Is that definite?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #139 on: February 8, 2011, 09:58:42 pm »
i want 4th and the uefa cup/europa league, Im putting money on both as well I think it will happen
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #140 on: February 8, 2011, 10:01:58 pm »
I'm with Rapcage on this. I think we can get both. The league and the Europa have a long way to go yet and a lot of twists and turns, but right now I look at how we're playing, and the way the whole club is and there's nothing that suggests to me that we can't get at least 4th and win the Europa. Nothing.

Can i add how delighted i am to have my optimism back! ;D
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #141 on: February 8, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »
What?! No one screamed yet 'one game at a time'? Unbelievable...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Stevie93

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 8, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »
Is that definite?

Why does it matter? Chelsea are not winning the European Cup this season.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #143 on: February 8, 2011, 10:10:48 pm »

I personally couldn't give a fuck about the money aspect. Then again I'm not the one who owns the club and pays the players wages. That's for Mr. Henry to worry about. What I care about is us getting back in Europe's elite cup competition. It's where we should be, and it's where every single one of our players want to be. And deep down, it's where every single supporter wants to be. Don't get me wrong mind, if we do end up winning the Europa League this year I will be made up, and even more so for Kenny's sake as he has yet to chalk up a European success as a manager. It would be great to see him do it. But lets call a spade a spade here, the Champions League table is the one we want to dine at.

We have a love affair with the trophy of that competition. We sing about it all the time. Stare into the Kop and you will see countless scarves and banners with that trophy emblazoned on them. Every time we sing "We won it 5 times" our rivals seethe with envy. Not only have we tasted what they covet the most, we've got 5 of the fuckers. Heck, we even own one for keeps. Its ours, and UEFA are never getting it back. When the terms "British club" and "European Cup" are mentioned in the same sentence then you can be rest assured that the topic of conversation will be about Liverpool Football Club.

The European Cup without Liverpool in it is a lost entity, and the longer we remain outside of it, the longer the injustice being done to European football will continue. Are you comfortable in the knowledge that Harry Redknapp and his Spurs side are in that competition while we aren't? They are playing our friends from Milan in the next round and to be honest, that fucks me off. It fucks me off big time. I want us back in that competition starting next season if possible. I'm sorry, but finishing 4th has nothing to do with money mate, it is solely down to seeing us competing in the competition that we love more than any. Like I said, I wont turn my nose up at the Europa League, but for me, the earth moon and stars shine out of that CL trophy, and I want us back in it.

4th spot for me please. Thank you.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline beliverpool

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone !
    • Bobland
« Reply #144 on: February 8, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »
I do believe we can move up a place again sometime soon and with the teams in 5th and 4th all tied up with the same amount of points,4th Place is not the distant dream that it used to be.
"Its not about the long ball or the short ball, its about the right ball."

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 8, 2011, 10:35:49 pm »
Imagine if we came 4th, pushed Chelsea into 5th, and then Chelsea won the Champs League. Nightmare.

Offline Buck Fast

• Kemlynite
« Reply #146 on: February 8, 2011, 10:38:04 pm »
Fuck the Europa League, I'd still rather get knocked out.

Would be embarrasing if we won it.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 8, 2011, 10:39:35 pm »

Congrats, one of the most idiotic posts i've read on here. Fucking clueless wum.

I've just read your other 34 posts, christ you're a piece of work.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2011, 10:43:50 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 8, 2011, 10:41:23 pm »

Do one
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline Lothairio

• Kopite
  • Facci Sognare
« Reply #149 on: February 8, 2011, 10:42:04 pm »
Love to see Torres' gob if we pipped them to 4th, won the Europa, and they won sweet FA! Poetic justice, that would be.
Hat, cap, scarf, or yer badges...

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #150 on: February 8, 2011, 10:43:06 pm »

Yeah, everybody hates winning trophies. No wait.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #151 on: February 8, 2011, 10:45:24 pm »

We were fairly happy to win it in the 70's and 2001, Don't see a difference now..
We live to win trophies, do we not? Or would we be better off just going for the top 4?

To win the Uefa cup, would be fantastic, no 2 ways about it.. especially this season..
imagine finishing 4th and winning the Uefa cup.. What a turn around that would be.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #152 on: February 8, 2011, 10:51:32 pm »

As much as I miss and crave the Champions League, I certainly wouldn't consider it embarrassing if we won the Europa League

Am I correct in saying that if we do win it then we will be on 4 triumphs? No other club has won it 4 times as far as I know

Still the most successful club in England, 3rd most successful in the European Cup, and top dogs in the Europa/Uefa cup?

It's a hard old life supporting Liverpool aint it?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Buck Fast

• Kemlynite
« Reply #153 on: February 8, 2011, 10:53:27 pm »
Not like you weren't all thinking it in the qualifying rounds. Particularly our famous win in Trabzonspor.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #154 on: February 8, 2011, 10:54:46 pm »

Not as embarrasing as this comment. Clearly you have zero knowledge the traditions and history associated with Liverpool & this trophy. I think you would be best advised to read your posts back to yourself before you press enter.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline NaoiDeag

• Main Stander
  • Strange days indeed
« Reply #155 on: February 8, 2011, 10:57:29 pm »

Yeah,we were all ashamed to show our faces after the epic 2001 final. So embarrasing that. Great night that was. If, not getting carried away but if we were to get to 
Dublin it'd be an unbelievable night. Home game is right!
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 8, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »
Not like you weren't all thinking it in the qualifying rounds. Particularly our famous win in Trabzonspor.
The comments of the ex manager didn't reflect our history and status in Europe. Winning the EL and reminding teams that we haven't fucking disappeared will be timely.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #157 on: February 8, 2011, 11:13:38 pm »
Will Carroll be back for Sparta anyone have any idea/guesses? Not much news on him really like. Even back in time for the return leg?
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Aleeed#

• Jooones - Waaalkiiing Iiin Theee Aaaiiir :)
  • Anny Roader
  • VVD enthusiast.
« Reply #158 on: February 8, 2011, 11:23:34 pm »
Since when has it been embarrassing to win a fuckin' trophy? Winning trophies is the foundation that this great club was built on.

Take a good look at yourself in the mirror and read back what you just wrote.

:wave

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #159 on: February 8, 2011, 11:25:35 pm »
what age are you lad?
Do you not appreciate silverware?

We cannot compete for the champions league or the league right now, so should we simply disregard everything else?