Author Topic: Final Fantasy is sh*t hot.  (Read 15683 times)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Re: Final Fantasy is sh*t hot.
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »
I understand why previous Final Fantasy fans might not have enjoyed 10 so much. It is a much more linear game. However, I think that's why I loved it. It really aided the feeling of going on a grand journey. The whole point is that there is a start point and an end point, so I don't think it'd make sense for there to be loads of exploration.

Also the combat system was just excellent.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2016, 11:49:38 pm »
Anyone played Lightning Returns? Thoughts?

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2016, 03:30:18 pm »
Anyone played Lightning Returns? Thoughts?

Played a few hours of it, but just stopped because of the like PS2-era towns you run around in. And all you do(as far as I can tell) is to do MMO-like fetchquests.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2016, 04:08:55 pm »
Played a few hours of it, but just stopped because of the like PS2-era towns you run around in. And all you do(as far as I can tell) is to do MMO-like fetchquests.
Disappointing :(

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2016, 05:13:53 pm »
Disappointing :(

Yeah, I might go back to it someday. But I didnt like it the 15-ish hours I played.

A very mixed trilogy in my opinion. I was disappointed in XIII, I liked XIII-2 and disappointed again in Lightning Returns.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2016, 07:08:42 pm »
Looks like Gamespot let the cat out of the bag prematurely. Square-Enix is having a event tonight to reveal Final Fantasy XVs release date.

September 30th
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:10:54 pm by Garlicbread »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:11 pm »
Demo supposed to be tomorrow.

Haven't like FF since X, we'll see.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2016, 06:28:36 am »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2016, 06:37:26 am »
The characters looked a lot closer to real-world heroes in the making instead of bright-eyed teenagers or male/female models with uber powers going emo.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2016, 09:06:29 am »
Demo downloaded and installed, will be playing it this evening after work. Keeeeeen.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2016, 09:54:14 am »
Just started Lightning Returns for the first time last night.  Only played a few hours and the story is actually very interesting... I've done one of the 'fetch' quests mentioned and hoped it was a bit of a one-off.  Can't see me doing too many of those before turning off.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2016, 01:23:45 pm »
Final Fantasy 15 game trailer:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QnXySxRNSjk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QnXySxRNSjk</a>

Final Fantasy 15 movie trailer (Sean Bean, Aaron Paul)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SNNvFTlop9s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SNNvFTlop9s</a>
:D

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »
Not a pretty looking game. Why can't they try something cel shaded or more traditional animation even?

Dread what they are going to do to VII.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2016, 03:21:06 pm »
The more they show off this game, the less excited I get. I remember FF Versus XIII alongside some other titles were the catalyst in me getting a PS3 many years ago.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2016, 07:24:22 pm »
The more they show off this game, the less excited I get. I remember FF Versus XIII alongside some other titles were the catalyst in me getting a PS3 many years ago.

It's unbelievable how long it has taken them to finish this game. I remember hearing about it when they announced FFXIII, must have been 2009 or so and it was in development then.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2016, 07:27:36 pm »
It's unbelievable how long it has taken them to finish this game. I remember hearing about it when they announced FFXIII, must have been 2009 or so and it was in development then.

It was ten years ago.

Just played the demo, which is a demo in every sense of the word as none of which you play will be in the final release.

It was interesting, the battle system, the physics etc. It did feel slightly sluggish at times when your fighting the enemy, it could be a bit smoother as the transitions between different attacks don't feel fluid.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:32:02 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2016, 07:30:02 pm »
If i recall correctly it was around the time of PS3s reveal?  :o

The whole "Fabula Nova Crystallis" stuff that included FF13, FFv13 and Final Fantasy Agito.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:31:58 pm by Garlicbread »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2016, 07:45:57 pm »
An Audi R8 in a FF universe? Am I in the right universe? :o

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:45 pm »
An Audi R8 in a FF universe? Am I in the right universe? :o

Well you got Lightning as a model for Louis Vuitton. Worlds collide!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »
I literally don't know what anything is anymore! :o

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2016, 09:17:54 pm »
It was ten years ago.

Just played the demo, which is a demo in every sense of the word as none of which you play will be in the final release.

It was interesting, the battle system, the physics etc. It did feel slightly sluggish at times when your fighting the enemy, it could be a bit smoother as the transitions between different attacks don't feel fluid.

I was very worried, I am not a fan of real time combat in FF titles but I liked it, as you slay, sluggish at times but well thought out, the boss battle at the end was cool and once i went second and third time I learnt more, the warp ability is ace to get away and find better attack positions, etc...

I disagree about the looks, other people saying it's bad, I think it looks really good? Maybe that's just me...

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2016, 09:35:49 pm »
I was very worried, I am not a fan of real time combat in FF titles but I liked it, as you slay, sluggish at times but well thought out, the boss battle at the end was cool and once i went second and third time I learnt more, the warp ability is ace to get away and find better attack positions, etc...

I disagree about the looks, other people saying it's bad, I think it looks really good? Maybe that's just me...

I thought it looked fine.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2016, 09:37:21 pm »
Getting a Platinum trophy on FFXIII is one of my proudest gaming moments. I say moments. Really it was several hundred hours (completed the game then started again to 100% it.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2016, 09:51:04 pm »
I think the new game looks fantastic. I like the look of the characters and the world. I just hope it plays well and has a storyline you can at least somewhat understand. Actually forget that second point. Wouldn't be an FF without a ridiculous storyline.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2016, 09:56:20 pm »
Getting a Platinum trophy on FFXIII is one of my proudest gaming moments. I say moments. Really it was several hundred hours (completed the game then started again to 100% it.)

The one where you had to equip all the weapons and accessories I couldn't be bothered with. I did manage to get the Platinum Trophy in XIII-2, quite fun.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:58:03 pm by Garlicbread »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2016, 11:04:49 pm »
The one where you had to equip all the weapons and accessories I couldn't be bothered with. I did manage to get the Platinum Trophy in XIII-2, quite fun.

Didn't have to equip them all, just obtain them over the course of the game. Not too difficult once you have a list. But time consuming as you need to level stuff up and transform it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2016, 11:54:02 pm »
Pretty sweet demo. I can't believe it's finally here (almost), I was sure they'd cancelled it.

I read a quote from the director where apparently it needs to sell 10m copies over its lifespan to be considered a success.. that's bonkers. Has a Final Fantasy game ever managed that before? I hope it gets there though cos I've no doubts it's going to be a great game.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #147 on: April 1, 2016, 01:08:59 am »
Pretty sweet demo. I can't believe it's finally here (almost), I was sure they'd cancelled it.

I read a quote from the director where apparently it needs to sell 10m copies over its lifespan to be considered a success.. that's bonkers. Has a Final Fantasy game ever managed that before? I hope it gets there though cos I've no doubts it's going to be a great game.

Think 7 just shaded it, none of the others managed.
:D

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #148 on: April 1, 2016, 02:51:00 am »
Well you got Lightning as a model for Louis Vuitton. Worlds collide!

Didn't know about this but shrewd marketing though. LV used to be considered high class designer bags only for the snobs (here at least) and even the rich kids don't use them - partnering with SE using Lightning makes it fashionable to the young.

Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 1, 2016, 10:00:37 am »
Think 7 just shaded it, none of the others managed.
That's not good. I guess it'll come down to word of mouth then.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #150 on: April 1, 2016, 11:22:49 am »

No way they will make that, previous titles sold the below figures worldwide (according to http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy)

FF VII: 9.8 Million
FF VIII: 8.15 Million
FF IX: 8~ Million
FF X: 6.6 Million
FF X-2: 3 Million
FF XII: 5.2 Million
FF XIII: 6.9 Million
FF XIII-2: 2.86 Million

It's been a bit up and down!! I doubt a 10 Million target is likely but I think 6-8 is quite likely

EDIT: Just noticed that those figures DO NOT take into account remastered sales/PS4/XBONE sales so it might be slightly higher for others, also don't forget FF VII and the earlier FF's have been re-released on PS Store, mobile gaming, etc.... so they are still churning out money
« Last Edit: April 1, 2016, 11:24:21 am by PhilV »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #151 on: April 1, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »
I think it's obvious that Final Fantasy XV itself will be a commercial failure. That doesn't mean it can't do the whole series a world of good though. If it turns out to be a truly great game then it could repair Final Fantasy's damaged reputation moving forward. In that scenario a short term loss would be negated by the swarms of people (like myself) who may once again be ready to commit to future titles. It works both ways though, and after all these years the pressure's on for this game to deliver.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 1, 2016, 01:17:16 pm »
I think it's obvious that Final Fantasy XV itself will be a commercial failure. That doesn't mean it can't do the whole series a world of good though. If it turns out to be a truly great game then it could repair Final Fantasy's damaged reputation moving forward. In that scenario a short term loss would be negated by the swarms of people (like myself) who may once again be ready to commit to future titles. It works both ways though, and after all these years the pressure's on for this game to deliver.

What damaged reputation?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 1, 2016, 01:24:28 pm »
What damaged reputation?

A lot of people thinks the series has been in a steady decline since FF10(some might say it started with 10).

Also it's important to note that Final Fantasy no longer is a driving force in the gaming "realm". I would say from Final Fantasy VIIs release in 1997 to maybe Final Fantasy XII-ish, Final Fantasy was probably in the top 5 in terms of popular franchises... maybe even in the top 3. It was hugely popular, nowadays I don't feel that is the case, mostly it's living on nostalgia IMO.

So if games like FF7 and a like barely can hit 10 million copies when the series was at its height in popularity, I have a hard time seeing that FF15 will sell anywhere close to that. It might get to a 5-6 million if they do a PC release down the line.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2016, 01:31:08 pm by Garlicbread »

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 1, 2016, 01:26:38 pm »
The XIV launch did damage their reputation, to be fair. The backlash from it led to them cancelling the PS3 version, getting rid of the subscription fees and then redoing the game from scratch. Wada himself said it damaged the brand big time. They've recovered from that somewhat, but it definitely changed people's opinions of the series going forward.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 1, 2016, 01:33:08 pm »
A lot of people thinks the series has been in a steady decline since FF10(some might say it started with 10).

Yes but people have been saying that since VII, and probably since I in Japan somewhere. It's always the case with a long running series that people say it's not what it was. XIII, the last serious release in the main series, did very well and successfully reinvented the format. I don't think there's much "damage" in the general perception of the games, and certainly nothing XV could possibly fix.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 1, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »
The XIV launch did damage their reputation, to be fair. The backlash from it led to them cancelling the PS3 version, getting rid of the subscription fees and then redoing the game from scratch. Wada himself said it damaged the brand big time. They've recovered from that somewhat, but it definitely changed people's opinions of the series going forward.

Possibly, but I think there are always different expectations from a MMO than a standard RPG. It was no worse than XI, for instance.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 1, 2016, 01:53:37 pm »
Yes but people have been saying that since VII, and probably since I in Japan somewhere. It's always the case with a long running series that people say it's not what it was. XIII, the last serious release in the main series, did very well and successfully reinvented the format. I don't think there's much "damage" in the general perception of the games, and certainly nothing XV could possibly fix.

XIII did well sales-wise. But I feel the generally reception to Final Fantasy XIII was quite mixed(I thought it was alright personally). The corridor-like level design and how the game didn't give you freedom until plenty of hours into the game. Also Lightning seems very disliked from what I can tell from the fanbase.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #158 on: April 1, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »
Possibly, but I think there are always different expectations from a MMO than a standard RPG. It was no worse than XI, for instance.

It was A LOT worse than XI.

XI was a finished game, XIV was not, it was clunky and buggy and just unplayable at times, the brand suffered but then also recovered well when they released the remade game, it was amazing and done so much better, them doing that really showed they cared about the fans and I loved coming back to it (was originally on PC and got the re-make on PS4) it's solid!

But this is different, it's the normal game, not MMO, from this I expect something different, XIII really wasn't my cup of tea at all

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 1, 2016, 02:26:37 pm »
XIII did well sales-wise. But I feel the generally reception to Final Fantasy XIII was quite mixed(I thought it was alright personally). The corridor-like level design and how the game didn't give you freedom until plenty of hours into the game. Also Lightning seems very disliked from what I can tell from the fanbase.

Odd that they made a whole other game about her, then?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA