Author Topic: Egypt's day of revolt-Mubarak resigns government as well. Protests start again  (Read 50377 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Egypt's day of revolt
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »
Oh shit.

3.30pm: Egyptian state media is reporting a curfew starting at 6pm tonight (about 30 minutes away) and running until 7am tomorrow in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez.
The way it's looking on the streets at the moment suggests there is little chance of people obeying the order and what can the police actually do to enforce it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-live-updates#block-73

Well guys, guess tonight it's make or break.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »
Just realised we won't hear from Y2J till this is over :-\

Allah ma3ak, yakhi.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2011, 04:01:05 pm »
For anyone who wants to see live pictures but aren't arsed about commentary, the Arabic Al Jazeera feed is online here: http://aljazeera.net/channel/livestreaming?GoogleStatID=32

For those in the UK, if you go to www.zattoo.com they carry both the Arabic and English channels on their site and via their app, free sign up.

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Al jazeera has been live for a while now. Amazing coverage.

Offline evenflow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »
been transfixed by this all day...
incredible.
some of those scenes show the bravery of these guys...
also an army truck with its crew shaking hands with demonstrators.
funny how the west isn't backing the demonstrators like they did in Iran  ::)

Quote from: rowan_d on Today at 05:49:28 PM
And though Jacob once did ascend unto the Holy Mountain, Christ the Healer declared unto him, 'Mad Men has had a mare in this thread.'

Jacob, 3:16

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:36 pm »
Haha, a bit late. :p

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2011, 04:04:53 pm »
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Al jazeera has been live for a while now. Amazing coverage.

Yep but the Arabic channel give more air time to live footage than the English one, though the English channel shows far more than most news channels you can get in the country.

Offline Mello

• Anny Roader
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »
been transfixed by this all day...
incredible.
some of those scenes show the bravery of these guys...
also an army truck with its crew shaking hands with demonstrators.
funny how the west isn't backing the demonstrators like they did in Iran  ::)

The hypocrisy of the west is astounding, but sadly nothing new.

Offline evenflow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2011, 04:10:52 pm »
also earlier on bbc they had some 'analyst' zaki - cant remember his surname- saying the egyptians have 2 choices- mubaraks son or an islamist state???
blair at davos saying there need to be a transitional phase..and he worked well with mubarak..

the narrative here is quite disgraceful.
And though Jacob once did ascend unto the Holy Mountain, Christ the Healer declared unto him, 'Mad Men has had a mare in this thread.'

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2011, 04:11:52 pm »
Just realised we won't hear from Y2J till this is over :-\

Allah ma3ak, yakhi.

Don't worry, Guillem Ballbag just tweeted that Y2J was looting Automatic Bakery. He was seen fucking off with pockets full of falafel ;D

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2011, 04:11:56 pm »
Mubarak's son is going to be clinging to his dad as they fuck off in the night. No chance any of them will stay in the country.

As for the other comments, well what do you expect? It's fear mongering to people who have no idea what's going on.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2011, 04:12:20 pm »
Don't worry, Guillem Ballbag just tweeted that Y2J was seen looting Automatic Bakery. He was seen fucking off with pockets full of falafel ;D

Two ruz.

Offline evenflow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2011, 04:15:59 pm »
Don't worry, Guillem Ballbag just tweeted that Y2J was looting Automatic Bakery. He was seen fucking off with pockets full of falafel ;D

;D

Offline killerH

• eels? A beautiful freak.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2011, 04:23:43 pm »
Mubarak's son is going to be clinging to his dad as they fuck off in the night. No chance any of them will stay in the country.

As for the other comments, well what do you expect? It's fear mongering to people who have no idea what's going on.

Exactly, Egypt is probably the last country in the middle east that might become an "Islamist" state. The people are in no way shape or form radical. We are more moderate than most Arab or Islamic countries.

There are always some nutters though, but no way will the people fight this much, for another Tyrant or a radical party to rule the country. Like someone yesterday on Sky News, the people simply had enough of the corruption, oppression and the economic and social hardship.

People want change, a new chapter. I just hope that it doesn't take a blood-bath for this to happen.

The best man i think to lead the country is El Baradei.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2011, 04:26:01 pm »
Even Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt isn't like anywhere else. For the last two to three years they've almost created their own social security system for the poor, funded by some of the rich and the average person.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:47 pm »
The canal is a western security issue. Much greater strategic importance than caves in Afgan or phantom WMDs in Iraq. In other words, it wont stay closed for long, one way or the other.

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2011, 04:29:49 pm »
Whoa. There are some massive explosions going on.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2011, 04:30:04 pm »
The ruling party's headquarters is on fire.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2011, 04:33:14 pm »
The best man i think to lead the country is El Baradei.
Any particular reason why? Other than El Baradei, are there any other potential leaders out there?
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline evenflow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
Even Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt isn't like anywhere else. For the last two to three years they've almost created their own social security system for the poor, funded by some of the rich and the average person.

thats interesting..
though many of these radical groups do make sure that their strength lies in the grassroots- in pakistan for example they offer free education and food and shelter.
and i think hamas started as a group organising in this way.
having said that most muslim countries do have a strong sense of social responsibility at the grassroots level and its not unusual for communities to organise like that...radical or not.
in the south of pakistan sufi shrines for example are still the focus of welfare within communities.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2011, 04:37:33 pm »
thats interesting..
though many of these radical groups do make sure that their strength lies in the grassroots- in pakistan for example they offer free education and food and shelter.
and i think hamas started as a group organising in this way.
having said that most muslim countries do have a strong sense of social responsibility at the grassroots level and its not unusual for communities to organise like that...radical or not.
in the south of pakistan sufi shrines for example are still the focus of welfare within communities.

Yeah but MB has supported a lot of social initiatives over the past few years because no one else would. The likes of Amr Khaled has called on the people as well as the leaders to help the poor and to make society better for everyone - the only real response came from MB (I would love to be proved wrong though).

Offline Kiko Narváez

• ليفربول
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2011, 04:37:36 pm »
Allah ma3kon ya Masr min Beirut!

Hope the Syrians get inspired to do something similar in my lifetime.

I'm glad that I'm not the only Lebanese on rawk ;)
I really hope for a change in Syria too. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't the assads been there in power longer than Mubarak..

Offline killerH

• Kopite
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »
Any particular reason why? Other than El Baradei, are there any other potential leaders out there?

To be honest, I think he is the best potential leader, given his experience at the IAEA and other work around the world. We need someone who is not currently in the ruling party to lead the country. I'll admit as an outsider, I have not been keeping a very close eye on politics in Egypt in the last few years - I got sick of it to be honest. But of what I've seen of Baradei, I have been very impressed. A a very modern person who has a vision to restore the country's economy and pride. He is also very moderate and level headed. I think he can do a good job.

I cannot comment on any of the other party leaders as I don't know too much about them.

But I hope there is an election in the next few years, without the vote rigging and the large scale corruption that the ruling National Democratic Party (what a joke of a party name! lol) is/(hopefully was) famous for.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:44:52 pm by El Campeador »

Offline Kiko Narváez

• ليفربول
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

I'm not an expert in the Egyptian politics but I think he was director general of the IAEA and a noble peace prize winner. As far as I know he was on the opposition side and the preferred candidate for many...
Other names I can think of: ayman noor and somebody from the Muslim brotherhood. Although I don't prefer the Muslim brotherhood to be n charge for obvious reasons..

Are there any Coptic names out there??? A Christian president might be a good option??!!

Offline killerH

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2011, 04:49:16 pm »

Amazing pictures, thanks El C.

I hope that the tide is turning, once the fear barrier has been broken, there is no way back for Mubarak or the NDP.

This reminds me of Ukraine in the last days of the Soviet Union (tho not old enough to have witnessed it!).

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:35 pm »

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2011, 05:05:30 pm »

I'm not an expert in the Egyptian politics but I think he was director general of the IAEA and a noble peace prize winner. As far as I know he was on the opposition side and the preferred candidate for many...
Other names I can think of: ayman noor and somebody from the Muslim brotherhood. Although I don't prefer the Muslim brotherhood to be n charge for obvious reasons..

Are there any Coptic names out there??? A Christian president might be a good option??!!
I don't see how being at the head of the IAEA makes someone ready to lead a country of 80 million people, especially the huge rebuilding job that's going to be required.  I'm not knocking the guy, just saying that I hope he has other skills in the bag. Glad he's a moderate, modern man like KillerH said.

I have heard of Ayman Noor but don't know much about him. I hope nobody from the Muslim Brotherhood gets elected president and I don't see how a Coptic president will get elected, even if the leader's religion doesn't matter for large segments of Egyptian society, the 9 to 1 ratio of Muslims to Coptics is a hard mountain to climb.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2011, 05:10:15 pm »
Hillary Clinton is now offering up Mubarak as a sacrifice live on air.

Offline evenflow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2011, 05:18:56 pm »
Hillary Clinton is now offering up Mubarak as a sacrifice live on air.

yeah just heard that..

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »
Hope the Egyptian lads from here are keeping well and safe. Neither side is looking like backing down just yet.

Hope the cancers in charge get what they deserve.

Offline evenflow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »
clashes between military and police???
wow..

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »
"I hope that the tide is turning, once the fear barrier has been broken, there is no way back for Mubarak or the NDP".

This sounds right. It reminds me of that celebrated passage in Kapuscinski's beautiful book about the fall of the shah in Iran. "The man on the edge of the crowd is looking insolently at uniformed authority. He doesn't budge. He glances round and sees the same look on other faces......The man has stopped being afraid - and this is precisely the beginning of the revolution. Here it starts."
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2011, 06:23:40 pm »
Hard to see Mubarak coming back from this, he just needs to leave and safe what's left of his face.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2011, 06:25:33 pm »
Just heard the army was brought in...aren't they against Mubarak? I thought I read that somewhere.
Anyone hear from the Egyptian lads from the site?...I hope they're alright.

Offline Mello

• Anny Roader
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »
Just heard the army was brought in...aren't they against Mubarak? I thought I read that somewhere.

It's awfully confusing, but there were some reports of the army siding with the protesters in Alexandria.  We're unlikely to hear from anyone in Egypt for a while with communication being shut down  :(

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2011, 07:16:38 pm »

Fucking awesome. Can't stop staring at it.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2011, 07:17:45 pm »
Good luck, you are all heroes

Offline Kiko Narváez

• ليفربول
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2011, 07:23:10 pm »

Unfortunately the government blocked the Internet and all sorts of communications... And Flights have been suspended...
I guess we will have to wait till this thing us over so we can hear from Omar, scouserFreddy, and the other Egyptian lads
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:43:01 pm by Kiko Narváez »