Author Topic: Roy to be sacked & Dion Fanning article  (Read 201216 times)

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy to be sacked & Dion Fanning article
« Reply #2320 on: January 4, 2011, 01:49:25 pm »
Would this Rangnick be good?

He'd be a risk. But we'd play very attacking football
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline thedunnyman

• Anny Roader
  • Streamin LFC @ owl-times from the land down-under
« Reply #2321 on: January 4, 2011, 01:52:23 pm »
He'd be a risk. But we'd play very attacking football

I've always believed in high risk - high return.

Sounds good to me.

Especially the 'attacking' part.

Actually come to think of it, the 'football' sounds good also  :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2322 on: January 4, 2011, 01:53:13 pm »

Why do all players seem to be in support of Hodgson? Don't they see what he's doing to our playing style?

It’s a quote from the official site – I’d say it’s more the usual players spouting platitudes than anything else. Privately most of them must have some concerns to varying degrees but I guess not many are going to speak out if they want to stick around.

Offline Jensen

• Butten
  • Anny Roader
  • Manc Type
« Reply #2323 on: January 4, 2011, 01:56:23 pm »
I'm thinking that the players are a bit embarrassed by recent performances and these comments are not so much a backing of Hodgson but more like an admission that they should've done better.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2324 on: January 4, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »
It’s a quote from the official site – I’d say it’s more the usual players spouting platitudes than anything else. Privately most of them must have some concerns to varying degrees but I guess not many are going to speak out if they want to stick around.

It reminds me very much of last season where a few were saying they supported Rafa but the big players like Torres and Gerrard didn't.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2325 on: January 4, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »
I've always believed in high risk - high return.

Sounds good to me.

Especially the 'attacking' part.

Actually come to think of it, the 'football' sounds good also  :)

I'm not sure FSG want to take that risk though. I think they're going to wait and wait until they are ready to get a longterm manager.

I'd be more than happy if they went and got him today. Of course it may not work out(but that can happen with any guy we get) but one things for sure the football at Anfield would be a hell of alot more exciting than the snoozefest currently.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2326 on: January 4, 2011, 02:25:59 pm »
Roy is still picking the team so every player who wants to play will support him.

Yeh that's fair enough, you'd take what players say with a pinch of salt but you'd have to admit there was something of a show of unity the other night after the game. The players could have quite easily avoided him walkin off that pitch but I don't think they did, correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline SMACLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2327 on: January 4, 2011, 02:36:57 pm »

Hmm... hard to say has little champions league experience/big club experience. Done very good with Hoffenheim and favours young players (ala FSG). Average age at Hoffenheim was 22 at one point IIRC.

karlsentk Tor-Kristian Karlsen
ralf rangnick 'a german wenger' if you like. empire builder advocate of attacking football. fluent in english, even got a degree i believe

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2328 on: January 4, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »
raphael honigstein is on the radio in a bit talking about klopp and rangnick i think

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2329 on: January 4, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »

No, it would be a disaster, seriously.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #2330 on: January 4, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »

He looks a little like Bobby Davro.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2331 on: January 4, 2011, 02:58:23 pm »

Why do all players seem to be in support of Hodgson? Don't they see what he's doing to our playing style?

Or would it be because they want to appear to be in support of the team (and hence the manager)?

What do you expect from the club officials site mate? Remembering how the squad was behind Benitez last year should make it clear that this is  nothing more than a shallow statement for the press.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2332 on: January 4, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »
He looks a little like Bobby Davro.

He is an idiot, no german top club hired him so far after his "work" at Schalke.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #2333 on: January 4, 2011, 03:00:49 pm »

Or would it be because they want to appear to be in support of the team (and hence the manager)?

I wrote a piece regarding this, earlier on. May aswell post it. My first bit of writing about football.

Collective Responsibility
Collective responsibility is a political term pertaining to the responsibility of each individual of a collective, to a whole. It is often a technique used to make sure politicians in a political party tow the party line (along with the Whips, of course).

There is evidence of a collective responsibility environment emerging in the dressing room, through comments made by various players, legends and Hodgson. Contrary to popular opinion, the dressing room seems to have not been ‘lost’. Hodgson claims: ”I have been lucky the support I have had has been from the players and within the club…” and there is certainly evidence of this, with recent comments from Fabio Aurelio, stating “we are all behind the manager and we have to try to get out of this situation together…” and even offering up words of sympathy; “we all know the coach is the first person to have the pressure on. He tries to make the team play, but it’s the players who have to go out on the pitch and do it.”

It would seem, by studying these comments from Aurelio, that Hodgson has at least some of the players’ backing. However, it is clear that the backing of the players has come from players who have either been (re-)signed, or are doing their best to become first choice once more – see comments from Johnson, Cole and Aurelio in recent weeks. This creates an illusory collective responsibility environment, and could point to in-cohesion in the dressing room.

The rumblings of discontent were first evident through Daniel Agger’s comments that “our play has changed”, claiming “I’m here to play, not unload.” Somewhat of an attack on Hodgson’s footballing philosophy that has “translated from Halmstad to Malmo to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax to the Swiss National team.” Or so he claims.

Comments such as those, from somewhat of a favourite amongst Liverpool fans, highlighted early on just how ‘at odds’ Hodgson was to the famous “pass and move” footballing philosophy which has been ingrained in a fanbase so richly rewarded with footballing finery over the years.

Ian Rush has recently become an advocate of the ‘give him time’ corner, citing the (what some claim as) somewhat fortunate win over Bolton as a reason to “get behind him [Hodgson]“. Rush claims that Liverpool “played some really good football”, which can be disputed as distracting hyperbole – the football was decent, as much as you’d come to expect under Rafa Benitez every game, and the least you’d expect from a Liverpool performance at Anfield, with a 58% possession rating over a good Bolton side.

Although Liverpool have now ‘done the double’ over Bolton this season, winning 2-1 Home and Away, it should be noted that in both games, Liverpool were saved a potentially deflating draw by late goals. Not the comfortable wins against Bolton the fans have come to expect over the years. Albeit, against a man in Owen Coyle who has revitalized the Bolton side, and has it playing attractive football. It’s possible that it should be Coyle that should feel disappointed at Home loss against a Hodgson side, rather than Hodgson feeling proud of a win.

It was, however, an improvement. Although, clearly not enough to ‘save’ Hodgson’s job (it’s almost an inevitability that he will be removed in the summer anyway), it did serve as a life support mechanism, to drag out the last few breaths of his ailing tenure as Liverpool boss. John Henry and Tom Werner are thought to be working on a number of potential managerial targets; even having approached Jurgen Klopp in recent weeks, according to various reports. A New Years Eve (strategic) media leak saw many high-profile newspapers reveal that bonafide Liverpool legend, Kenny Dalglish, was close to taking on Liverpool’s managerial post.

The collective responsibility, that seems to be more of an atmosphere between Hodgson and (some of) the players, rather than a binding agreement, is to be tested by the abysmal away form that Liverpool ‘enjoyed’ in 2010, and indeed, that Hodgson has ‘enjoyed’ throughout his entire career, who has never won more than 5 away wins in a Premier League season. Collective responsibility? Or the responsibility of a man not fit to manage one of Europe’s, and indeed the World’s, top clubs?

The appointment of Hodgson at the Liverpool helm, proves the old clichè is very much still applicable today: ‘it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.’ Hodgson certainly has friends in high places.

http://terrestrialsandtribulations.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/collective-responsibility

Offline GerrardL

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2334 on: January 4, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »
Can anyone tells me why we have not heard of any news that Roy got sacked :(

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2335 on: January 4, 2011, 03:04:39 pm »
Rangnick would relish Liverpool job
Tuesday, 4 January 2011 13:19

Former Hoffenheim coach Ralf Rangnick would relish the chance to manage a Barclays Premier League club, although there have not yet been any enquiries from Liverpool, according to his agent Oliver Mintzlaff.

The 52-year-old has been linked with replacing Roy Hodgson at Liverpool after leaving the Bundesliga club on New Year's Day, and Mintzlaff has admitted that his client would jump at the chance to further his career in England.

'Ralf Rangnick is very interested in the Premier League and Liverpool is certainly a very interesting club with a great tradition,' he told Press Association Sport.

'Ralf is a great fan of English football and he has followed it a great deal.

'The English Premier League is something which interests him very much, but there have not been any discussions with Liverpool.'

Rangnick left Hoffenheim after four and a half years in charge at the turn of the year due to a difference of opinion with the club's owner Dietmar Hopp.

Hopp, one of the richest men in Germany, appointed the former Stuttgart, Hannover and Schalke coach in 2006 to realise his personal ambitions of turning Hoffenheim into a Bundesliga club within five years.

Rangnick, who had shown his pedigree in the late 1990s by helping to lead Ulm from the third division into the top flight in successive seasons, repeated that feat with Hoffenheim and even took them to the top of the Bundesliga at the midway stage of their maiden season among Germany's elite.

They eventually ended that year in seventh and finished 11th last season.

Rangnick's aim for this year was to lead the club into Europe for the first time, but when one of his key players, Luiz Gustavo, was sold to Bayern Munich against his will and he quickly realised that his objectives were no longer correlating with Hopp's.

'Of course if you don't have any ambition, then you cannot be a football manager,' added Mintzlaff.

'Hoffenheim was an exciting, unique project and he led them into the Bundesliga in only two years, and they were never even close to a relegation berth.

'Now, in the third year in the Bundesliga, it is only understandable that he has the ambition to play in Europe. Unfortunately, his aims and those of Hopp were not entirely compatible.'

Rangnick therefore realised that his dream of managing once again in the Champions League, where he had a brief experience in charge of Schalke in 2005, was unlikely to be fulfilled with Hoffenheim.

He is now waiting for the opportunity to lead a club that shares his own aspirations of competing at the very top.

'After four and a half years (with Hoffenheim), it is only normal that he takes a short pause to catch his breath,' added Mintzlaff. 'But he is, of course, really burning to get a new job.'

A call from England would be a preference, and the language would not be an issue.

After completing his A-Levels in Germany, Rangnick spent a semester studying at the University of Sussex in Brighton and graduated with a degree in English and Sports Studies at Stuttgart University in 1985.

'Of course he speaks English fluently,' confirmed Mintzlaff. 'That would not be a problem.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0104/rangnickr.html
I really didn't know he was the 2005-Schalke coach. That team was impressive and-to me- they played good passing, yet gritty football- well-balanced in attack and defense with a very good goal-return. It was the first time I saw Schalke play in Europe and they were immediately my 2nd favorite team to watch.

So, it was him then...
Interesting.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 03:06:17 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #2336 on: January 4, 2011, 03:06:04 pm »
all the talk of new managers and we still have the crap one here.........Why bother with all the potential names when

a) shithead is still here
b) the perfect man for the job with the best winning cv is available and sitting in the wirral

theses potentials are smoke screens to keep hodgson till the end of the season and also to make us forget the best qualified man for the job

I agree. Putting forward the German Roy Hodgson (one CL season in his career) when Rafa is available is laughable. None of the names I've seen put forward come close to matching Rafa's credentials when he joined us (or even Houllier's for that matter).

Villas Boas is one to watch but he's at the stage of his career equivalent to Rafa's first season at Valencia.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 03:07:48 pm by flying red »

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #2337 on: January 4, 2011, 03:08:00 pm »
I agree. Putting forward the German Roy Hodgson (one CL season in his career)
Yawn.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #2338 on: January 4, 2011, 03:12:18 pm »

I think you're right Nick, nobody wants to be accused of rocking the boat
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #2339 on: January 4, 2011, 03:13:16 pm »
Did anyone see the pre Blackburn PC? Any idea why Sammy Lee did it and not Roy?
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #2340 on: January 4, 2011, 03:13:52 pm »
So now his agent has said this, he probably won't get the job. See: Kirdi, Huang, Loic Remy, Sylvain Marveaux etc etc.

Still, wouldn't mind him. If only because he went to the university I go to.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #2341 on: January 4, 2011, 03:14:47 pm »

Roy was having lunch with Furgus in Manchester. ;)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2342 on: January 4, 2011, 03:17:33 pm »

Because Roy can't be trusted not to talk shite.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #2343 on: January 4, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »

Very unlike Roy to miss a spotlight opportunity.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2344 on: January 4, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »

Why stop him now though!

As for the players comments never heard a player be critical of his manager openly, they do it through a third party!

Or wait till he is sacked and then slate him!

As for Aurelio he left because he would not agree to a logical for the club , pay as you play contract, and Roy brought him back on a full contract so he will be supportive of the old goose that laid his golden egg!

Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #2345 on: January 4, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »
Can anyone tells me why we have not heard of any news that Roy got sacked :(

Yes indeed with the cold weather and christmas rush his P45 is indeed in the post and we think somewhere around the birmingham hub area (it was sent quite accidently 2nd class) Dan Gleballs area manager for brum post office has assured normal service will resume shortley.
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Offline spare us the cutter

• (not just another drop in the ocean)
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2346 on: January 4, 2011, 04:08:58 pm »
Roy is still picking the team so every player who wants to play will support him.
I don't think roy is picking the team.

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #2347 on: January 4, 2011, 04:27:23 pm »
I don't think roy is picking the team.
How do you come to that conclusion, mr bunnyman ?
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Offline spare us the cutter

• (not just another drop in the ocean)
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2348 on: January 4, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »
How do you come to that conclusion, mr bunnyman ?
Just a gut feeling he got told to play Agger and Aurelio.

Offline rednick75

• Begets Rednich85
  • Anny Roader
  • If the shit fits, wear it!
    • Rednick75 Youtube
« Reply #2349 on: January 4, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »
For me theres only 2 realistic options for a manager who is gonna make an instant impact.  Kenny or Rafa.  I like the sound of Rangnick, not really well known but neither really was Rafa, Houllier or Wenger.  But an external manager will need to come in during the summer.  If they were to come in now it would be detrimental and our performances will suffer because the players would have to learn a whole new system immediately.  This would only halt our progress up the table I reckon.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #2350 on: January 4, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

Mmmmm *Rubs chin*
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #2351 on: January 4, 2011, 06:06:21 pm »
  But an external manager will need to come in during the summer.  If they were to come in now it would be detrimental and our performances will suffer because the players would have to learn a whole new system immediately.  This would only halt our progress up the table I reckon.
Learning a whole new system is easier than playing without one, no?

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #2352 on: January 4, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »
Learning a whole new system is easier than playing without one, no?

You can see both sides of the argument, if we do appoint a new man now i think we can safely write off the season anyway.
Thats not to say we would not improve but it MIGHT take time to work.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Classic goal

• Kopite
« Reply #2353 on: January 4, 2011, 06:10:38 pm »

They must have finally cottoned on at the club that Hodgson's talks shite and nothing but shite. What good comes out of a hodgson press conference?? We'd only end up ripping our hair out at the next inane and stupid comment by this 'media savvy' man.

Offline rednick75

• Begets Rednich85
  • Anny Roader
  • If the shit fits, wear it!
    • Rednick75 Youtube
« Reply #2354 on: January 4, 2011, 06:11:47 pm »
Good point, but would it be worth losing ground for the race to 4th spot?  Slim though those chance are right now.  I would go with Kenny till the summer and not bring Rafa back.  Kenny knows the players, the systems we used to play and the reserves.  Makes sense.

Offline NowInOz

• Main Stander
« Reply #2355 on: January 4, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »
They must have finally cottoned on at the club that Hodgson's talks shite and nothing but shite. What good comes out of a hodgson press conference?? We'd only end up ripping our hair out at the next inane and stupid comment by this 'media savvy' man.

That every time he talks he puts another nail in his coffin, though he has a big fucking coffin obviously

Offline NowInOz

• Main Stander
« Reply #2356 on: January 4, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »
Good point, but would it be worth losing ground for the race to 4th spot? 

Jesus Christ are you on smack? :butt

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #2357 on: January 4, 2011, 06:15:24 pm »

Roy was elsewhere collecting his 9th Best Boss trophy. Then he had to pop to B&Q for a packet of 'final nails'.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #2358 on: January 4, 2011, 06:16:14 pm »
Roy was elsewhere collecting his 9th Best Boss trophy. Then he had to pop to B&Q for a packet of 'final nails'.

nah.. he's had those nails for ages.. we just can't find the goddam hammer

Offline Brave Lee Flea

• Kopite
  • Brave Lee turned his tail and fled....
« Reply #2359 on: January 4, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »
Perhaps Roy felt he had spoken to the press quite a lot recently, probably more than he would have liked to, and that he really needed to concentrate on coaching the team because results aren't going very well at the moment.

Then again, perhaps not.
I'm a believer.