Author Topic: Bars/Clubs in town  (Read 347166 times)

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bars/Clubs in town
« Reply #1920 on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:25 am »
Echo the Lion cracking boozer and just been saved from Heineken
Caledonia
The grapes
And rigbys for the racing

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1921 on: March 20, 2018, 10:31:17 am »
Echo the Lion cracking boozer and just been saved from Heineken
Caledonia
The grapes
And rigbys for the racing

I think the Lion has been saved by Heineken, not from Heineken.

The downside is they are installing Sky Sports so no chance of a quiet pint or listening to the jukie.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1922 on: March 20, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »
I think the Lion has been saved by Heineken, not from Heineken.

The downside is they are installing Sky Sports so no chance of a quiet pint or listening to the jukie.
No. Basically...

Heineken acquired the Lion off Punch Taverns - they bought it without even viewing the place and had no idea about its importance in the city, not least as a listed building. Dave who has ran it for years was at risk of losing it to Heineken who would close it down then make it a tenancy - and tenants don't make enough money out of these things to live any more.

Thankfully a local company has come in and saved this from happening under a different agreement that benefits all parties. Same person who has the dovey, bier amongst others.

Yes they're putting in sky sports but nothing else will change, most importantly the ale and dave who's made it a boss place for years.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1923 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:46 pm »
Oh and the Jukie stays. That's confirmed!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1924 on: March 20, 2018, 12:24:09 pm »
No. Basically...

Heineken acquired the Lion off Punch Taverns - they bought it without even viewing the place and had no idea about its importance in the city, not least as a listed building. Dave who has ran it for years was at risk of losing it to Heineken who would close it down then make it a tenancy - and tenants don't make enough money out of these things to live any more.

Thankfully a local company has come in and saved this from happening under a different agreement that benefits all parties. Same person who has the dovey, bier amongst others.

Yes they're putting in sky sports but nothing else will change, most importantly the ale and dave who's made it a boss place for years.

You're right and my memory is wrong. I had a quick read of my mum's Echo and didn't quite get it right.

And good news about the jukie, good selection but it can be a bit temperamental.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1925 on: March 20, 2018, 12:26:13 pm »
Also good that the pies are staying!

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1926 on: March 23, 2018, 02:27:20 pm »

Hopefully the Lion doesn't end up stinking of urinal cakes like the Newington Temple does.  Ruined one of my favourite city centre boozers that.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1927 on: March 24, 2018, 08:22:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.  There's a few there that I've been too.  Even lived above Rigby's about 10 years ago.  Enjoyed the place no end.

Always feel a bit stupid by myself, like I don't know what to do with myself.  ;D

Might share a few pints with you sometime, Fiasco :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1928 on: March 24, 2018, 09:28:52 pm »
Hopefully the Lion doesn't end up stinking of urinal cakes like the Newington Temple does.  Ruined one of my favourite city centre boozers that.

Well that's the Newington Temple off my list then.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: March 25, 2018, 01:10:28 pm »
The toilets ruined it?

The revamp and the new name happened although it didn’t change ownership...

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1930 on: March 26, 2018, 12:14:35 pm »
The toilets ruined it?

The revamp and the new name happened although it didn’t change ownership...
I went there a few times after the revamp and it was fine but over the last 6 months or so they're filling the urinal trough with literally about 30 urinal cakes, so the whole bar stinks of disinfectant.

I pop in every now and then, in case they've changed things, but it's always the same.  I mentioned it to them on Twitter and they said they had sorted it, but nope.  It's weird.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1931 on: March 26, 2018, 01:12:25 pm »
This might seem like an odd request, but does anybody know any decent bars/pubs where you can drink on your own?  Some friendly places?  I suffer from social anxiety and don't really enjoy drinking in public by myself as I'm not very good at communicating with strangers.  I know plenty of people who can feel right at home in a place and be chatting away in about 10 minutes.  I really don't think that's a skill I can learn but I want to try to learn to feel comfortable.

Its the furthest point away in town, but Peter Kavanagh's is ideal for that, lots of space, but cosy enough to give you some privacy, rarely crowded and somewhere you can just sit and read a book or the paper.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1932 on: March 26, 2018, 09:50:04 pm »
Its the furthest point away in town, but Peter Kavanagh's is ideal for that, lots of space, but cosy enough to give you some privacy, rarely crowded and somewhere you can just sit and read a book or the paper.

Yeah, it's only the exact opposite side of town from me, about 30 minutes on foot.  Been in there a few times with mates but only once on my own.  Without loud music it feels a bit drab, but maybe it's worth a try in the summer. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: March 27, 2018, 07:53:58 am »
Yeah, it's only the exact opposite side of town from me, about 30 minutes on foot.  Been in there a few times with mates but only once on my own.  Without loud music it feels a bit drab, but maybe it's worth a try in the summer. :)

Haha it can be bit gloomy in there. If you want the other end of town, my work local - The Cross Keys, is well worth a stop off, great hidden alehouse.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #1934 on: March 27, 2018, 08:39:47 pm »

On the plus side, loads of decent boozers back on the walk into town :)
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: March 29, 2018, 02:24:11 pm »
Can't beat the ship and mitre for me. Just a boss pub all round.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1936 on: March 29, 2018, 03:25:38 pm »

Might share a few pints with you sometime, Fiasco :)

I'd like that mate. Hit me up anytime  :)

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1937 on: March 29, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »
I'd be up for a rawk get together, and a few liquid embibements.

The last rawk get together I frequented was in the CASA, about a thousand years ago. 🙂

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1938 on: March 29, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »
Haha it can be bit gloomy in there. If you want the other end of town, my work local - The Cross Keys, is well worth a stop off, great hidden alehouse.

I live up by Everton Park, so pretty much everywhere in Liverpool is a 30 minutes walk away.  ;D

But I might pay the Cross Keys a visit over the weekend.  I seem to have some free time on my hands.  Might even take my doodle pad :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #1939 on: March 30, 2018, 12:11:38 am »
I'd be up for a rawk get together, and a few liquid embibements.

The last rawk get together I frequented was in the CASA, about a thousand years ago. 🙂

Not a bad idea, I'd be up for a few shandies
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1940 on: April 7, 2018, 10:17:25 pm »
Chaplins, Lodge Lane.

A family pub, which is still the problem.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1941 on: April 7, 2018, 10:28:19 pm »
Chaplins, Lodge Lane.

A family pub, which is still the problem.

Is this an advert?  :D

Coincidentally I watched the 2001 FA cup final in a bar called Chaplins in Sorrento, for what it's worth.

« Last Edit: April 7, 2018, 10:29:59 pm by So... Howard Phillips »

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1942 on: April 8, 2018, 07:52:10 pm »
Is this an advert?  :D

Coincidentally I watched the 2001 FA cup final in a bar called Chaplins in Sorrento, for what it's worth.
I watched that game in an Arsenal pub in Roswell, Essex looking after a 17 year old discarded daughter of an ex. After 70 minutes, she said to me, "Your team are s***". For once, I had no answer.
I ended up rat-arsed that night, apologizing to all these Arsenal supporters for beating them, beers going back and forth. Remembering that redeems Michael Owen a bit.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1943 on: April 8, 2018, 09:59:40 pm »
I watched that game in an Arsenal pub in Roswell, Essex looking after a 17 year old discarded daughter of an ex. After 70 minutes, she said to me, "Your team are s***". For once, I had no answer.
I ended up rat-arsed that night, apologizing to all these Arsenal supporters for beating them, beers going back and forth. Remembering that redeems Michael Owen a bit.

Just checked Owen's stats, he was with us 7 years.

Seems like a lot less in retrospect.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: April 9, 2018, 08:21:30 am »
Not a bad idea, I'd be up for a few shandies

Same here, we could either sort a decent pub crawl or just pick a good boozer and have a few beers! :)

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: April 11, 2018, 01:29:08 pm »

Popped in the Cross Keys last night with me mate - caught the last couple of minutes of the game ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1946 on: April 11, 2018, 10:38:24 pm »
Was in the Baltic fleet the other week. Forgot how nice a pub it is. Good selection of beers and generally just a nice boozer to enjoy a pint
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:42 pm »
For the record, The Cross Keys is a very nice pub but it's bloody expensive! ;D

Popcorn's Art

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1948 on: April 15, 2018, 07:05:23 pm »
Shhh about Cross Keys. Rather it not get too busy  ;D

Watched the City game in there myself.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: April 15, 2018, 07:15:36 pm »
For the record, The Cross Keys is a very nice pub but it's bloody expensive! ;D

Last time I was in there, earlier this year, the draught beer was no dearer than any where else.

Depends what you drink I suppose.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1950 on: April 15, 2018, 07:49:16 pm »
It's not too bad. A double gin (decent gin) with Fever Tree tonic and a pint of Stella is around £11 which is what you'd pay in most pubs, and cheaper than most bars.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1951 on: April 15, 2018, 11:09:25 pm »
Last time I was in there, earlier this year, the draught beer was no dearer than any where else.

Depends what you drink I suppose.

Well the Carling was £3.50.  Guess I've been spoiled by the Wetherspoons in Waterloo - it's only £2.25 on a Monday night.  And you can get two double JD and cokes plus a pint for under a tenner.  But then I'm a bit of a tight arse.  ;D

That said it was three very nice pints so I'm not really complaining! ;)

Popcorn's Art

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1952 on: April 16, 2018, 11:11:43 am »
Well the Carling was £3.50.  Guess I've been spoiled by the Wetherspoons in Waterloo - it's only £2.25 on a Monday night.  And you can get two double JD and cokes plus a pint for under a tenner.  But then I'm a bit of a tight arse.  ;D

At the Crosskeys you pay the ambience dividend.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1953 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:28 pm »

I hear you! He's just brought in Moretti on tap but is charging £4.40 a pint.

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #1954 on: May 3, 2018, 09:57:34 pm »
Staying in Liverpool by myself tonight hoping to have a few bevvies and join a few Reds. Where's the best place to go?

Online Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1955 on: May 7, 2018, 07:36:28 am »
Last time I was in the Crosskeys it was before we went next door to the Stadium to see Van der Graf Generator ! And they were shit. Lived daaarn south now for years good to see the boozer is still going, and may make a visit next time I’m up.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1956 on: August 1, 2018, 08:04:07 am »
Went to the Roscoe head recently and had great night, great little boozer that needs to be supported

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1957 on: August 9, 2018, 03:43:58 pm »
Went to the Roscoe head recently and had great night, great little boozer that needs to be supported

Was in it last weekend, and it's still under threat from developers as possible student housing.  Agree with you totally about supporting it, I've always liked the place.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1958 on: August 25, 2018, 03:22:43 pm »
Cripes. You move away and come back for the game and my usual 3pm pubs are now showing horse racing.

Too late for today, but does anywhere city centre show the 3pms?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1959 on: August 25, 2018, 03:52:11 pm »
Cripes. You move away and come back for the game and my usual 3pm pubs are now showing horse racing.

Too late for today, but does anywhere city centre show the 3pms?

They’ve really cracked down on it over the last 6 months. Tom Halls used to but think they’ve mostly stopped now too.