Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 130850 times)

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #600 on: November 13, 2010, 11:25:28 am »

Because of his price and the fact he is England's number 1 right-back?

@ Mad Men.

Didnt he admit Poulsen has'nt had a good start? That is as good as admitting his own signing has'nt cut it so far.Its unfair to mention Agger in that , he is injured , but its ok for you to mention an injured player but not Roy?

This is the problem here , you call Roy's comments on Johnson ''a rollocking'' , its far from that.Everything overblown yet again.

Its not Johnsons fault he cost what he cost. Not sure why playing for England has anything to do with it.

Again why Johnson? Many of our team have been shit for over a season now.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #601 on: November 13, 2010, 11:25:41 am »
whilst he isnt wrong for giving him a bollocking it should be done in private, not public

Agree,I was hoping that we'd stop washing our dirty linen in public when the tumours left.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #602 on: November 13, 2010, 11:25:58 am »
Actually , it is too outrageous to be true.
A 17 Million transfer fee and 120K wages is beyond ridiculous to be honest. Cannot be true.

GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #603 on: November 13, 2010, 11:26:00 am »
I am sure he would've reconsidered or at least thought about it , had we offered him a contract anywhere near to what GJ allegedly is on. Or even 3/4 of that number.

But he's English isn't he?  Buy expensive English stars, Brilliant, cost effective and time proven strategy.Our *senior* players would have been happy to see that , another Englishman replacing the foreigner with the funny accent.

I recall reading a statement from him at the time and he was all fired up to go since it was Real Madrid wanting him. Here is part of an interview he had with Ballague:-

Arbeloa:    The truth is this was a very important opportunity for me; there are trains that come along that you just cannot let pass you by. I was very satisfied and happy in Liverpool, I`m tremendously grateful to the club, the people and to Rafa for the opportunity they gave me. But the opportunity to return to Spain, home, to be a part of this project that involved signing such great players – it was a train I couldn`t possibly miss.

http://www.guillembalague.com/interview_desp.php?id=79&titulo=Alvaro%20Arbeloa%20Interview

So I do not think offering him more money - that the club did not have anyway - would have worked.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: November 13, 2010, 11:26:46 am »
Simple business, it was an £17 million purchase with huge signing fees and wages (who really knows what this figure is?) for a right back who is no better than what we've had

which right back was that then? becuase the only right back we had wanted to go to real madrid

its amazing how people just ignore things in order to make their arguments

he is NOT on 120k a week only gerrard and torres are on that sort of money in our team. even carra doesnt get that sort of money

like comparing a Ford Mondeo to 2 x BMW's

:lmao worst part is i think you actually beleive that

wes brown is a mondeo, glen is a ferrari, alves is a rolls royce and bosingwa is a lemon
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:29:30 am by LFCfan4Life »
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #605 on: November 13, 2010, 11:27:38 am »
LMAO 120k my arse get a grip if you think johnson is on more than half that

Was in the OP?
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: November 13, 2010, 11:27:54 am »
What a load of shit, complete wank. Johnson would look great in that Barca team or at Inter because they play to hos strengths. Npt his fault Roy is incapable of using him..

Anybody notice any player Roy cannot understand or manage is lazy or suchlike?

Aquilani, Lucas now Johnson. The guy is hiding his own inability to manage these kinda of players. They play modern football, not wade's 1971 view. Please Roy just go home and don't even bother with the door.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: November 13, 2010, 11:29:05 am »

Bosingwa is a BMW while Johnson is a Mondeo? I don't think so.

Alves is of course the best attacking fullback and that's why he costs such an outrageous amount (imagine if Benitez had been supported properly by Parry when he was so much cheaper...) But even after he chop down the valuation, 17M is not unreasonable nowadays for a good attacking fullback - what more for an English international player.

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #608 on: November 13, 2010, 11:29:35 am »
Was in the OP?

yeah.

I also saw that figure mentioned in The Guardian. Probably lazy journalism, nothing new there.
GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: November 13, 2010, 11:30:04 am »
Roy wants to take a look in the fucking mirror, he wants to buck his ideas up. If we sit any deeper we won't fucking need Pepe anyway cos the nets will be full.....
He cracks it every time he looks at it.....the 7 year curse follows.

Get rid of him and let him take that curse with him.

Thought we could breathe a huge sigh of relief and start our rebuild with getting rid of H&G. It feels no different thus far, and I wonder how you all feel, honestly. :'(
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #610 on: November 13, 2010, 11:30:38 am »
interesting that chelsea only paid 9.7M for ivanovic

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #611 on: November 13, 2010, 11:31:24 am »
crouch another rafa mistake
should never have been sold

This is going off topic but i will answer your post. Rafa didn't want to sell Crouch, indeed offered him a better contract, Crouch wanted regular first team football. Rafa had just bought Torres. Rafa couldn't guarantee Crouch a game every week so Crouch pushed for the transfer.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #612 on: November 13, 2010, 11:31:44 am »
It's very simple, Glenn doesn't fit. It's not a personal thing, it's more that the way Rafa wanted us to play was with attacking full backs and the way Roy wants us to play is with full backs staying deep. Johnson is not suited to that at all.

I wish we had brought in a manager who could have played to the squad's strengths rather than trying to make players into something they're not to adjust his 'tried and trusted' methods.

Yes - this is the big worry.  Insua, Johnson, Aquilani, Agger and Pacheco are all 'footballers'.  These may not fall into Roy's plans but they may fall into any new managers plans.  Whilst all of these might not have proven themselves the worry is that there is a trend to Roy's cull.  If we lose these players it will cost millions to replace.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: November 13, 2010, 11:31:59 am »
Was in the OP?

dont care what Tony Barrett says

if it was remotely true why is it all the stories about him signing were talking about 60-70k

when did he sign a new contract to nearly double his wages
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: November 13, 2010, 11:32:27 am »
I'm going back to work, but got to say this....
Over the last week, Tony Pulis has been leathering referees. He's heaped pressure on them in a blatant attempt to get Stoke some leeway. It's bound to work sooner or later, ref's will stop punishing them and giving them some dubious decisions. I hope it's not today, but with the home crowd behind them I fear it might be. On top of that, I read that Pullis was the guest speaker at some big ref's do this week, and apparently he charmed the knickers off them. Fair play to the lad, clever move that.

On the other hand, we have Roy slatting our full back and , so, in a roundabout way, putting pressure on whoever plays right back for us today, either Carra or Kelly. Stoke play with two wingers, one of them has a huge point to prove against us. And the more I think about what Roy has done, the more stupid it seems and the more angry I get. So, fuck it. Back to work, and hope Roy's gone by the time I get back. I don't wish ill on the man. I don't want him to have a heart attack or something. But something minor, a quiff attack or a blue rinse run, that keeps him off the bench today would be nice.

Tatty bye.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: November 13, 2010, 11:32:58 am »

Chelsea have bought loads of rightback over the last 6 years. Some have cost 9m other 16m. Overall they have three rightbacks costing over 36 million. They can afford to splunk 10m on a  player in hope he can be better than the 16m players they have.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: November 13, 2010, 11:33:03 am »
I don't see the point in Hodgson making such a public criticism of Johnson, unless he has tried the quiet route and it hasn't worked, but either way I don't disagree with what he has said.

Johnson has never really established himself as a 'must have' in the team, and with Kelly starting to gain more experience and putting in some decent performances too, the GJ's position in the team is no longer guaranteed.

He was an expensive player and needs to start proving his worth, especially now the new owners are in and value for money is high on the agenda.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: November 13, 2010, 11:34:57 am »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/28/rafael-benitez-steven-gerrard-poor-form

Yeah, and that hardly did anyone any good last season did it? Probably contributed to Rafa getting the boot, Carra's been average at best since before then and Gerrard's literally put in a handful of decent/top class performances since then as well.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #618 on: November 13, 2010, 11:35:04 am »
If you're going to play attacking fullbacks you need mobile centre halfs and a mobile sitting midfielder. It's also good to have wide midfielders/wingers that graft and track back. Attacking full backs are pretty much essential in today's game, but they will always get caught out of position. That's why mobility is needed at the back. Johnson getting caught upfield is no big deal when you've got players like Kuyt, Mascherano, Agger, Skrytle to get over there. That's how it is in today's football, and there's the rub...

I agree with that.

Roy does need to concentrate making his comments on the training pitch and saying little publicly. Johnson has not found his most effective role in this team yet - and that is what Roy is paid to sort out.

I am not expecting this afternoon to be pretty, and if we sit back against Stoke, something will give.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: November 13, 2010, 11:35:22 am »
Simple business, it was an £17 million purchase with huge signing fees and wages (who really knows what this figure is?) for a right back who is no better than what we've had

that right back would have gone the next summer for nothing and we'd have to scour the free market/bargain bins to replace him

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: November 13, 2010, 11:35:53 am »
Im still a fan of Johnson but it is obvious that for a player that cost what he cost, he hasn't performed up to that level.

What all the time he has been with LFC, strange that, when he's fit he is first choice for England
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: November 13, 2010, 11:35:57 am »
Hodgson is 100% right with this statement, people can accuse him of putting his foot in his mouth (again) here,
but Johnson has been average, at the very best since he joined, if we could get anywhere near what was paid,
even £10million, then Kelly could take the right back slot and the money could be invested in the likes of Hazard for the left flank.
"There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all"

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: November 13, 2010, 11:35:58 am »

interesting that hes a CB playing at RB

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: November 13, 2010, 11:36:44 am »
I don't see the point in Hodgson making such a public criticism of Johnson, unless he has tried the quiet route and it hasn't worked, but either way I don't disagree with what he has said.

Johnson has never really established himself as a 'must have' in the team, and with Kelly starting to gain more experience and putting in some decent performances too, the GJ's position in the team is no longer guaranteed.

He was an expensive player and needs to start proving his worth, especially now the new owners are in and value for money is high on the agenda.

How can he prove his worth under Roy?
Simple fact is Roy would never have a fullback in his team worth more than 5m because he doesn't use the position to improve the teams play, only to defend. How does Glen prove himself when his best comes from being on the other teams 18 yard line?

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: November 13, 2010, 11:36:49 am »
There will always be those players who are undervalued because they have not been proven yet in the Premiership before they were signed. For example, we got Agger and Skrtel at even better prices. That does not mean that 17M was too much to pay for a good attacking fullback.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #625 on: November 13, 2010, 11:37:22 am »

This is the problem here , you call Roy's comments on Johnson ''a rollocking'' , its far from that.Everything overblown yet again.

Not sure that it is good man management to rollock a player on the injured list. Ways to and ways not to handle situations.

Did you read the Shankly story? He did NOT betray his player to outsiders. Simples, protect your own and be circumspect when talking to the media.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Suarez325

• Kopite
  • Road End Whopper
« Reply #626 on: November 13, 2010, 11:38:23 am »
What all the time he has been with LFC, strange that, when he's fit he is first choice for England

There aren't a lot of options in that position for England to be fair although I don't think hes been as bad as people are saying. Definitely not helped by the tactics we are playing and would look a great player for a team that pressed high up the pitch and actually looked to dominate teams.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #627 on: November 13, 2010, 11:39:04 am »
Quote from: lfcmaster on Today at 11:30:38 AM

Yes INTERESTING TO ALSO NOTE HE AIN'T ENGLISH.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: November 13, 2010, 11:39:14 am »
Hodgson is 100% right with this statement, people can accuse him of putting his foot in his mouth (again) here,
but Johnson has been average, at the very best since he joined...

There is a lot of revisionism going on here. I recall people were mighty impressed with him when he first joined, and there were many on the fora defending him against other fans who claimed that his defneding was poorer than Arbeloa.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: November 13, 2010, 11:39:54 am »
but Johnson has been average, at the very best since he joined, if we could get anywhere near what was paid,
even £10million, then Kelly could take the right back slot and the money could be invested in the likes of Hazard for the left flank.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2010, 11:41:25 am »
Quote from: hedger on Today at 11:23:08 AM

15 months ago, who else did we have at right back that was available? We needed to conform to the new home grown/english players rules and signed the current england right back at the time.

You knew english players were going to cost more than foreigners so why bitch and moan about it.

The issue of how much he is being paid should not be the issue here. It's what Roy has said and done that we are discussing.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2010, 11:42:04 am »
Let's use an example. You have won a professional award in the past. Supposing you have a new boss come in. You did a few jobs for him. The last job was two months ago. It wasn't very good, but at the time, the whole office was turning in lousy work, especially that new employee that the boss brought in, Paul Sen. But you fall ill for a long time. You come back after about 2 months away and you do a job for him 9 days ago. You fall ill again and you are still at home recovering when you get a call from him your colleague telling you that your boss has just posted on the bulletin board over the coffee machine a written warning letter telling you that you are not performing as well as a award winner should be performing, and that you need to do better. The whole office has read it. In fact, your boss has circulated that notice among other companies in the same industry. Everyone knows about it.

How would you feel? Wouldn't you say "why is he doing this now, when I haven't done anything for him for 2 months except that job that I did 9 days ago?!" "Why is he bringing up the award when that has nothing to do with my job?!"

I think even that analogy is too mmuch for some to comprehend

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #632 on: November 13, 2010, 11:42:25 am »
crouch another rafa mistake
should never have been sold
:butt is wrong answer. crouch want more games he could get.

This is going off topic but i will answer your post. Rafa didn't want to sell Crouch, indeed offered him a better contract, Crouch wanted regular first team football. Rafa had just bought Torres. Rafa couldn't guarantee Crouch a game every week so Crouch pushed for the transfer.
Maybe one day your message will get thro'.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:47 am »
To the people who don't seem to either remember, CROUCH WANTED TO LEAVE. Rafa didn't want to sell him.

This is turning out to be another RAWK epic weekend as usual.

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: November 13, 2010, 11:44:35 am »
Hindsight is a beautiful thing.
It's not hindsight, and not that my opinion matters one bit, but I always though Johnson was an ordinary player,
even when he broke through at West Ham I couldn't believe Chelsea paid £6million for him,
felt he looked good for Portsmouth simply because the rest of the team were so bad in comparison.

I know people like to overhype youngsters from the Academy on here, but Kelly really looks a good player,
solid defensively and with a good measured attacking instinct down the flank.

Now he is in the team, he at least deserves a good run to see how he shapes up in the long term,
as Johnson, quite frankly, is a total liability at the back.

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: November 13, 2010, 11:45:56 am »
And just for the record, I'll support Johnson whenever he takes the field for us, that's a given as a Liverpool player.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: November 13, 2010, 11:46:43 am »
It's the obvious solution mate. I don't care about people saying he's a right back or that it would be daft, because he is average defensively at very best but amazing going forward, just like Bale, and we don't have a right winger with his pace and ability to regularly beat a man. I'm surprised to be honest that we haven't tried it yet.

Me too mate

Offline caze

• Kopite
« Reply #637 on: November 13, 2010, 11:48:20 am »
as Johnson, quite frankly, is a total liability at the back.
utter nonsense.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: November 13, 2010, 11:48:28 am »
:butt is wrong answer. crouch want more games he could get.
Maybe one day your message will get thro'.

That inability to see things for what they truly are, is one of the big reasons why the fanbase was divided precisely when we should have been moving to warn Purslow that sacking the manager is not acceptable.

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: November 13, 2010, 11:48:29 am »
Just look at Dirk last week against the rent boys, how can you replace that work ethic on the right flank?