Author Topic: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?  (Read 33950 times)

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?
« Reply #440 on: September 21, 2010, 02:20:38 pm »
Football fans always hate what their manager says in defeat but love what he says in victory - Hodgson is no different.
Very true.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:54 pm »
Football fans always hate what their manager says in defeat but love what he says in victory - Hodgson is no different.
Very true.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #442 on: September 21, 2010, 04:02:22 pm »
shithouse results saw to that too.

Along with shithouse board members (one in particular, of whom allegedly was appointed on a temporary basis only, and with no responsibility over footballing decisions) and owners.

Although it seems now that equally shithouse performances are acceptable even though we allegedly changed manager in an attempt to improve and to inject some much needed impetus to a talented yet underperforming squad.

Stands to reason.

I do concede however, that there does need to be a level headedness when assessing Roys start as manager. We have undoubtedly had a testing start to the campaign, including away trips to both Manchester United as well as the free spending City. Add to that Arsenal at home and a visit to a Birmingham City side that lost only twice at home last season.

On top of which he will be attempting to instill his own philosophies on a group of players with Rafa's methods ingrained in them as well as a further number new both to the club and the country. And thats without getting into the off field turmoil that continues to lurk ominously in the background. Although this situation is not unique to Roys reign, ultimately it should not be discounted as a factor either.

Noone can deny therefore, that patience is required, as it should be when any new manager is appointed.

However, Roy himself also needs to work on adapting to his surroundings in much the same way that many of us (myself included) need to work on adapting to him and his ways, while he continues to occupy the managers seat at the club.

Roy, as far as Im concerned, hasn't yet grasped what is required of him as manager of Liverpool Football Club. The most successful club in British football. One of the most high profile clubs in the world. Whether that be in relation to his comments off the pitch or his selections, tactics and ambitions (or lack of) on it. The manager of Liverpool Football Club, for example, should not be publically stating, following a dismal performance at Birmingham, that his expectations "were not that high anyway". He should also not be publically stating that he "had no problem" with two extremely poor goals conceded in another below par display in what for many is the biggest single fixture of the season, away at Manchester United. This is the main focus of the majority of the criticism coming his way at the moment and rightly so in my opinion.

The results are not the main issue. As I have tried to highlight, there are a number of factors to consider in an attempt to offer a balanced assessment of our results thus far. However, the overall performances, the continued lack of fight amongst the players as well as a seemingly startling lack of ambition from the new manager, are a cause for concern though.

Until Roy addresses these issues and this becomes obvious he will continue to have his doubters. I'm one of them at the minute due to some of the factors Ive roughly highlighted here. I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong and for him to go on to be an success both in relation to our current circumstances, as well as beyond that, hopefully under new, stable conditions with new ownership.

Roy needs to take a look at himself first and possibly re-assess what he believes is required of him. That is if he wishes to enjoy the full and passionate backing of our support. The kind of backing that Rafa enjoyed. Although, that same thing could be said of many of our supporters at the moment as well, many of whom could do with understanding the difference between constructive criticism and being downright direspectful and insulting to a man who, no matter what you think of him currently, is a knowledgeable and passionate football man.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: September 21, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »
Along with shithouse board members (one in particular, of whom allegedly was appointed on a temporary basis only, and with no responsibility over footballing decisions) and owners.

Although it seems now that equally shithouse performances are acceptable even though we allegedly changed manager in an attempt to improve and to inject some much needed impetus to a talented yet underperforming squad.

Stands to reason.

I do concede however, that there does need to be a level headedness when assessing Roys start as manager. We have undoubtedly had a testing start to the campaign, including away trips to both Manchester United as well as the free spending City. Add to that Arsenal at home and a visit to a Birmingham City side that lost only twice at home last season.

On top of which he will be attempting to instill his own philosophies on a group of players with Rafa's methods ingrained in them as well as a further number new both to the club and the country. And thats without getting into the off field turmoil that continues to lurk ominously in the background. Although this situation is not unique to Roys reign, ultimately it should not be discounted as a factor either.

Noone can deny therefore, that patience is required, as it should be when any new manager is appointed.

However, Roy himself also needs to work on adapting to his surroundings in much the same way that many of us (myself included) need to work on adapting to him and his ways, while he continues to occupy the managers seat at the club.

Roy, as far as Im concerned, hasn't yet grasped what is required of him as manager of Liverpool Football Club. The most successful club in British football. One of the most high profile clubs in the world. Whether that be in relation to his comments off the pitch or his selections, tactics and ambitions (or lack of) on it. The manager of Liverpool Football Club, for example, should not be publically stating, following a dismal performance at Birmingham, that his expectations "were not that high anyway". He should also not be publically stating that he "had no problem" with two extremely poor goals conceded in another below par display in what for many is the biggest single fixture of the season, away at Manchester United. This is the main focus of the majority of the criticism coming his way at the moment and rightly so in my opinion.

The results are not the main issue. As I have tried to highlight, there are a number of factors to consider in an attempt to offer a balanced assessment of our results thus far. However, the overall performances, the continued lack of fight amongst the players as well as a seemingly startling lack of ambition from the new manager, are a cause for concern though.

Until Roy addresses these issues and this becomes obvious he will continue to have his doubters. I'm one of them at the minute due to some of the factors Ive roughly highlighted here. I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong and for him to go on to be an success both in relation to our current circumstances, as well as beyond that, hopefully under new, stable conditions with new ownership.

Roy needs to take a look at himself first and possibly re-assess what he believes is required of him. That is if he wishes to enjoy the full and passionate backing of our support. The kind of backing that Rafa enjoyed. Although, that same thing could be said of many of our supporters at the moment as well, many of whom could do with understanding the difference between constructive criticism and being downright direspectful and insulting to a man who, no matter what you think of him currently, is a knowledgeable and passionate football man.
Top post that mate, totally agree with all of it.

In the same way that some of us (myself included) need to give Roy a chance to prove himself, the guy needs to comprehend what we expect from a Liverpool manager, results aside. He needs to stop trying to be everyone's friend (particularly Ferguson's) and fight our corner more. He also needs to stop playing down our chances of achieving success, despite the the obvious ownership difficulties.

Offline majestic_11

• Remembers Houllier's Champions League winning campaign fondly
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK OG
« Reply #444 on: September 21, 2010, 04:24:23 pm »

Stands to reason.

A very good post that mate. The manager of Liverpool Football Club, for example, should not be publically stating, following a dismal performance at Birmingham, that his expectations "were not that high anyway".  That line there rattles me though, does he not know that scousers are amongst the most optimistic people on the planet! Forget Liverpool is one off the biggest clubs in the world if Roy was coaching a local darts team the local people wouldn't be happy with that comment!

I just don't think he gets us, whether people loved or hated Rafa they all respected him for the fact that he was one of us and its hard pill to swallow when u see an alien in the dugout.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #445 on: September 21, 2010, 04:28:57 pm »
Depends if you're glass is permanently half empty or half full?

More comebacks that George Foreman, you.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #446 on: September 21, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »
so ferguson have won a game and still he's being a c*nt,in other hand roy have lost a game and he's being mr nice guy

roy,you dont have to be loved by everyone in the world...you lost my respect for praising ferguson like he's your idol...i would take MON over roy any day,at least he have some balls

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: September 21, 2010, 05:00:17 pm »
so ferguson have won a game and still he's being a c*nt,in other hand roy have lost a game and he's being mr nice guy

roy,you dont have to be loved by everyone in the world...you lost my respect for praising ferguson like he's your idol...i would take MON over roy any day,at least he have some balls

its called playing the game.
he wants to be mr nice guy because he thinks he has more chance of keeping his job by the numpties who employed him.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #448 on: September 21, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »
its called playing the game.
he wants to be mr nice guy because he thinks he has more chance of keeping his job by the numpties who employed him.

I think the " mr nice guy" thing is more about keeping himself in contention for the England job.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
« Reply #449 on: September 21, 2010, 07:29:35 pm »
I think the " mr nice guy" thing is more about keeping himself in contention for the England job.

Personally, I think that its just  his nature and he couldn't be any different. I believe you need to have a  competitive nature, to succeed at the highest level, a f**k you attitude, which Roy doesn't have imo.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »
Personally, I think that its just  his nature and he couldn't be any different. I believe you need to have a  competitive nature, to succeed at the highest level,which Roy doesn't have imo.

well said.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline burtreynolds

• Main Stander
« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2010, 10:12:47 pm »
I am determined to be patient but some of his comments were really deflating and unbecoming of anyone who holds the managerial reins at Anfield
I was initially disappointed by his appointment, for among other reasons the departure of Rafa and the fact that Kenny was not considered.
I feel Kenny would not have entered his hat in the ring if he believed Hodgson was a better candidate so I am choosing to believe that he had some misgivings about the appointment

Let me add to that that I would love to be proven wrong n this instance
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:16:21 pm by burtreynolds »

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #452 on: September 21, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »
Roy is a great manager and to me he can speak utter bollocks to the media as long as we get the job done on the pitch!

He is having a real go and I respect him for that. I dont give a fuck what he says, what happens on the pitch is more important and roy will get us to were we need to be and given the chance with a bigger budget he take us all the way.

Leave Roy alone and get a life! He is doing great up to now, so get behind him or you will regret it.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2010, 10:40:22 pm »
I admit that I cringe at how polite he is in interviews, he's polite and nice to the point of weakness.

Also we've had a few draws this season and instead of saying, we were poor here, here and here, we need to improve here, here and here.

It's just, well they were very good weren't they?

I like Roy, he's a great guy but he's not a big club manager in his demeanour.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:59 pm »
Seriously, fuck everything off for a minute. Hicks is trying to refinance RIGHT NOW at JP Morgan. Get your fucking arse in here now
 http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=263469.0 
and get the emails sent while the robbing fucking cowboy is talking to them. Let's embarrass the fat headed twat while he's there!
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline uber96

• Main Stander
« Reply #455 on: September 22, 2010, 03:02:33 am »
Can't quite believe some of the abuse Roy is getting on here for things he did or didn't say in press conferences.  Whats wrong with paying a bit of respect to a WBA team who played well?  I'd rather see that sort of dignity than whinging about things that didn't go our way.  And just because he didn't have a go at Ferguson, he doesn't get "the liverpool way"?! I admit i was a little dis-heartened that he didn't at least disagree with him on the Torres issue, but he's never been one to be too open or emotional in press conferences, so he's hardly going to change after 35 years of management.  Give the man a chance FFS.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: September 22, 2010, 03:27:26 am »
Personally, I think that its just  his nature and he couldn't be any different. I believe you need to have a  competitive nature, to succeed at the highest level, a f**k you attitude, which Roy doesn't have imo.

Nor do most of the players.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #457 on: September 22, 2010, 03:34:28 am »
I should follow The Liverpool Way.

Mr. Hodgson is a very nice man.

But a complete football tosser, worse than Steve McClaren, worse than Graham Taylor.

There you go, I'm a complete Philistine, and the antithesis of The Liverpool Way.

Benitez is a God.

Oh no he isnt. Why dont you just show some much needed patience mate. As we well know football can change very quickly.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #458 on: September 22, 2010, 04:15:55 am »
i admit he's not saying the stuff that we want to hear or indeed getting the results we want to see but its still very early in his reign... lets button our lips and hope its going to come good!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline chuckberry

• Anny Roader
  • The year of the Rabbit - El Pistolero
« Reply #459 on: September 22, 2010, 05:35:52 am »
Personally I dont mind the press conference talk from Roy at all. I tend to find I agree with it all. I don't mind him being respectful to SAF. It doesnt mean we are not trying to win - we dont have to throw bottles through SAF's window to compete on a football pitch. Play your best and be nice about it. If SAF come across as a prick let him. If he attacks well let him do that as well - its not as if he is invading the country - its football.
If Roy wants to state that we are competing for 4th well lets face it - he's right. Talk straight. When the opposition plays well he should be allowed to say it.
I got the cleanest meanest penis
Ya never seen this stroke of genius

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #460 on: September 22, 2010, 06:54:50 am »
I think of Roy as a temp.... He won't be here more than two years.

We should respect him for having the balls to try to do the impossible job and support him as much as we can.

Do I think he's a great manager? No

Does that really matter at the moment with the owners at our club? No
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:28 am »

Stands to reason.

I would say that it is "support" rather than "patience" that is required.  And I'd say that even if we were doing badly.

But it is far too early to say that we're doing badly.

The home win against WBA equates to last seasons home wins against each of Burnley/Portsmouth/Hull  (admittedly by a lower margin).

As for MU, MCity, Brum away and Arsenal at home:  last season we got 2 points from those fixtures, and this season we got 2 points from those fixtures.

So if the claim is that Rafa was "positive" in media interviews  and Roy is "negative" then there is so far no proof that Roy's approach is leading to worse results for the team.

So it is wrong  imho to imply that he is on some sort of clock.  ie that he is doing really badly but that - for now - we'll forgive him because he is new, but woe betide him when our "patience" runs out.

He should also not be publically stating that he "had no problem" with two extremely poor goals conceded in another below par display in what for many is the biggest single fixture of the season, away at Manchester United. This is the main focus of the majority of the criticism coming his way at the moment and rightly so in my opinion.

Generally speaking, I dont agree with the manager criticising the players in public anyway.  But, regardless of that, if Roy had been harsh on the players, in relation to 2 of the MU goals, or otherwise, then I am sure the knives would be out for him.  "How dare he!  Who does he think he is!  Trying to deflect attention from his own faults" etc.

The thing is that Rafa won our first European Cup for more than 20 years.  I think that had a lot more of an effect on supporters' opinions than his demeanour in press conferences.

We didnt win that trophy just because Rafa told the media that we had a chance, just like we didnt finish in the top 4 last season because Rafa told the media that we would.

What managers say to the press is compleltely irrelevant most of the time.  Whether they offer platitudes that "we want to win" (a la Rafa) or "these are tough opponents" (a la Roy) has no bearing on the outcome of the match, and we shouldnt judge our managers on that basis.  I all a manager has to do to be popular is to be "positive" on TV, then all managers would do it.

Bottom line is that other clubs might say to their managers  "We aint sure if we like you or not.  Win us a trophy &/or finish high in the league, and you will have our backing".  But that is NOT the way that we should behave.  We aint Villa, we aint Newcastle, we aint Celtic, we aint Chelsea, we aint Atleti.

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #462 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:41 am »
I'm still waiting for Roy to come out and defend Nando as Ferguson's "cheat" comments have gone unchecked, so far and that for me isn't acceptable.

Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #463 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:55 am »
Can't quite believe some of the abuse Roy is getting on here for things he did or didn't say in press conferences.  Whats wrong with paying a bit of respect to a WBA team who played well? 

Some older fans might recall one of our greatest managers, Joe Fagan, was often full of praise for the opposition after many of our games. Used to wind me up quite badly at the time.
 The difference here is that West Brom didn't play well. We were shite, didn't create a chance for 65 minutes at home against a team who will, as usual, be battling relegation all season. It was in keeping with the other 4 performances we have served up in the league so far.
 So he is either trying to pull the wool over our eyes by claiming the opposition played well when in fact it was us who were poor, or he just can't see it for what it is.
 Whichever it is, it is a big cause for concern.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:02 am »
Oh no he isnt. Why dont you just show some much needed patience mate. As we well know football can change very quickly.
Don't wriggle in the keep net.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: September 22, 2010, 09:00:02 am »
If he says "if you like" one more time I'll be compelled to write a stern letter of reprimand.
In my head obviously.

I'd like to be able to remember what Paisley  used to say post-match as a barometer.  I appreciate that the two are poles apart in terms of talent, but as people my suspicion is they're not that far apart in terms of demeanour.
My memory of Paisley is hazy, he retired when I was 12, but I remember a steeliness behind the grandad cardigans, an edginess that suggested while he might have some werthers in his pocket, if you stole one he'd come down on you like a ton of bricks.
I'm yet to see that with Roy, and it's needed quite badly with this team. 
The Carragher or 'best centre-half pairing' threads suggest there's a growing belief that Carragher should be dropped, at least from his automatic choice status.  I don't doubt for a second that Paisley would have done that, I'm not sure Roy has it in him.  Seeing us lose header after header in the box without fixing it is more of a worry than seeing us lose the headers, if you take my point.  One can be fixed and quite quickly, the other indicates a problem that will resurface with other issues time and time again.
Just one example that there might not actually be much more than what we see.  An affable, well-travelled, well spoken, well liked coach whose making his biggest step at the end of his career, and simply can't change what he is - even if he needs to.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #466 on: September 22, 2010, 09:12:56 am »
If he says "if you like" one more time I'll be compelled to write a stern letter of reprimand.
In my head obviously.

I'd like to be able to remember what Paisley  used to say post-match as a barometer.  I appreciate that the two are poles apart in terms of talent, but as people my suspicion is they're not that far apart in terms of demeanour.
My memory of Paisley is hazy, he retired when I was 12, but I remember a steeliness behind the grandad cardigans, an edginess that suggested while he might have some werthers in his pocket, if you stole one he'd come down on you like a ton of bricks.
I'm yet to see that with Roy, and it's needed quite badly with this team. 
The Carragher or 'best centre-half pairing' threads suggest there's a growing belief that Carragher should be dropped, at least from his automatic choice status.  I don't doubt for a second that Paisley would have done that, I'm not sure Roy has it in him.  Seeing us lose header after header in the box without fixing it is more of a worry than seeing us lose the headers, if you take my point.  One can be fixed and quite quickly, the other indicates a problem that will resurface with other issues time and time again.
Just one example that there might not actually be much more than what we see.  An affable, well-travelled, well spoken, well liked coach whose making his biggest step at the end of his career, and simply can't change what he is - even if he needs to.

Carra was a first choice for Rafa last season- who then moved on to manage the Euro Champions so I think we can bin the idea that selecting Carra is some sort of caoching cardinal sin.

What is said at Press Conferences really isnt that imporatant and often has more to do with Pantomime than Football. Roy, like any Manager who took the post, is having to deal with a team that was disillusioned and demoralised from last year that has been further weakened  by the owners over the summer.

The concern is the ownwership, not a thrice weekly ritual which means nothing.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: September 22, 2010, 09:20:02 am »
Take your point Xerxes, but the question in the original post was asking if there's a long term implication of Roy's deameanour and attitude; I was just expanding on that, and think there might be.
Other issues are obviously over-shadowing everything, but it doesn't mean there isn't another issue lurking there.

And as for Rafa-Carragher; plenty think - including me - that it was party down to  trying to have that battle that ultimately lost Rafa his job.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #468 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:06 am »
The home win against WBA equates to last seasons home wins against each of Burnley/Portsmouth/Hull  (admittedly by a lower margin).

As for MU, MCity, Brum away and Arsenal at home:  last season we got 2 points from those fixtures, and this season we got 2 points from those fixtures.

So if the claim is that Rafa was "positive" in media interviews  and Roy is "negative" then there is so far no proof that Roy's approach is leading to worse results for the team.

But as I said, what was the main idea (publically at least) of sacking Rafa and bringing in a new manager?

To maintain what was widely accepted as an extrememly poor season last term?

If equalling a poor season is now acceptable then I fail to see thr reasoning behind changing the manager.

Or, wait, maybe that wasnt a decision based on football...

What managers say to the press is compleltely irrelevant most of the time.  Whether they offer platitudes that "we want to win" (a la Rafa) or "these are tough opponents" (a la Roy) has no bearing on the outcome of the match

No, but surely you cant argue that it could potentially have an impact on the mindset of the players? Surely if you hear your manager stating that his expectations "werent that high anyway", as your on the coach on the way home from Birmingham, then it cant do a great deal for your confidence as an individual and as a team.

Personally I would much rather hear our manager talking up our chances rather than outlining how great the opposition are each time. Regardless of what he actually thinks, surely this would be more beneficial to our playing squad as well?

Upbeat doesnt seem to be Roys way, but It doesnt mean I have to agree with it. Like you say, If Roy went on to win something this season or next (or whenever) then how he speaks in public would likely become academic. The fact that the performances and attitudes on the field have not improved at all thus far isnt helping him though.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:03 am »
What is said at Press Conferences really isnt that imporatant and often has more to do with Pantomime than Football.

You are right, the truth is on the pitch. We are improving very slowly in a direction which is not really that clear yet when it comes down to strictly the footy being played on the pitch.

Right now it´s still possible to isolate anything being said here and therer from the performances on the pitch. If it goes on like this though the statements of the involved persons are a way to figure out WHY a lot of decisions were made the way the were. Especially transfers and the manager appointment, which is the most crucial factor of all cause our success pretty much depends on a fine manager as every other club.

If we are out of the race for 4th by christmas these things have to be discussed in all honesty.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:21:34 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: September 22, 2010, 10:35:12 am »
I shudder to think what choice comments he's going to make either side of the Northampton game. That said, he can probably identify with their League Two mentality.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: September 22, 2010, 10:40:44 am »
I'm more concerned with Roy's tactics at the moment, the way we sit too deep and narrow and seem to starve Nando of any service.

Having said that, the constant playing down of expectations is a worry, as is his body language when sat on the bench, looking constantly like he's suffering from an ulcer.

I am dreading the derby I have to say - one match where you really have to get the players up and at them. I just can't see Roy doing that at the moment.
Thank you Jurgen

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: September 22, 2010, 10:43:16 am »
I am dreading the derby I have to say - one match where you really have to get the players up and at them. I just can't see Roy doing that at the moment.
I mentioned the uncanny similarity with Eriksson the other day, and again can't help but think of that "needed Winston Churchill, but got Ian Duncan-Smith instead" quote.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #473 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:32 am »
I shudder to think what choice comments he's going to make either side of the Northampton game. That said, he can probably identify with their League Two mentality.

Hoping for a defeat tonight? Would just suit that wouldnt it?
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #474 on: September 22, 2010, 10:53:27 am »
Some of you don't deserve to call yourselves Liverpool fans. Support the Manager, support the Team. By all means analyse and criticise, but don't denigrate or diminish the respect that should be implicit for any fan of the Club.

PS - Rafa fucked off at the end of last season, get over it :wave