Author Topic: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?  (Read 33951 times)

Offline kingluisgarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter@MattWood23
    • JustAnotherFootballBlog
Roy Hodgson has faced a number of niggling criticisms since taking charge of Liverpool. The majority of which are concerned with tactics, formations and player purchases.

One further issue though, which is certainly starting to grate on the nerves of some supporters, is the way Hodgson has spoken in the media. For the moment, Hodgson is still very much the media's darling. An English manager who worked wonders at Fulham and has landed a job at one of the biggest clubs in the country. What Hodgson has to realise though is precisely that - Liverpool are the most decorated club in England and supporters expect that their tradition is respected and the club aim to win every match they play.

Realistically Liverpool won't challenge for the title this season, it would be nieve to think so, but hearing such statements from the man in charge are still deflating.

Rafa Benitez was never a manager to elaborate much. When talking to the press, Benitez firmly held his cards to his chest. One thing he did emphasise though was the importance of trying to win every game. No matter how he felt inside the Spaniard always presented an upbeat front, upholding the tradition that Liverpool would try and win everything they entered, even if sometimes it was never possible.

It's the kind of fighting talk that Roy is lacking at the moment. Life as a Liverpool supporter is grim enough at the moment, but the manager must exhibit some sort of positivity. Take the recent games against West Brom and Birmingham. Here are some of Hodgson's quotes after the repsective matches;

"We had to fight very, very hard for it, all credit to West Brom for doing so well. Also, credit to our lads because these games are very difficult games - luckily the class of Gerrard and Torres won us the game. This is a very good result, if West Brom play like that every week they will get points off quite a few teams."

It's a cliche that there's no easy games in football, but seriously, West Brom at home? The comment about relying on Gerrard and Torres is a painful one. Liverpool have a number of quality international footballers who should be miffed at such a quote - it definitely demeans the rest of the squad.

"I think coming to Birmingham and playing against a team in such good form, 17 games unbeaten at home, we can feel satisfied at least that we won a hard-earned point. It was important to come here today and not lose the game because if we had of done we have Manchester United next and it makes life difficult for you."

Hodgson is right to imply that Birmingham away is potentially a tricky fixture, but to state that it was imperative not to get beat with Manchester United coming next insinuates that he's not exactly hopefuly for the trip to Old Trafford.

Most recently of course, Hodgson has re-affirmed his friendship for Mr. Ferguson. Not a good thing to do when you manage Liverpool. Ferguson has had countless swipes at Liverpool down the years and continues to do so. Befriending the opposing manager of your fiercest rivals probably isn't the best way to endear yourself to an Anfield faithful. By all means, Hodgson has a right to be Ferguson's chum, just don't openly state it in public.

The new man in charge must grasp the philosophy of Liverpool football club before supporters become totally disorientated with proceedings. Perhaps managing a club with the ethos of Fulham, a London club forever in the shadow of much bigger sides, has ingrained the way Hodgson talks. 'Little 'Old Fulham' were the underdogs throughout their Europa League campaign but Hodgson is in different waters now and the quicker he realises that the better.

http://redandwhiteblogger.blogspot.com/2010/09/hodgson-must-get-it-right-off-pitch-as.html

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:50:30 pm »
I should follow The Liverpool Way.

Mr. Hodgson is a very nice man.

But a complete football tosser, worse than Steve McClaren, worse than Graham Taylor.

There you go, I'm a complete Philistine, and the antithesis of The Liverpool Way.

Benitez is a God.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:54:20 pm »
people are just looking for any excuse to have a go at him.
shankly and busby were best mates, shankly called busby the best manager that ever lived.
when the liverpool chairman tom williams first approached the then huddersfield manager bill shankly about him taking over at anfield he said to shankly `how would you like to manage the best club in the country?` to which shankly replied `is matt leaving united?`
imagine roy would have said that.

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:55:06 pm »
yes busby also played for us
walk on...walk on...

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »
He wants to be everybodys friend and also thinks he's still managing a midtable team in which a draw is a good result
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline guapa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:58:37 pm »
He is LMA manager of the year though...

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:29 am »

I hope this is sarcasm
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:02:37 am »
Manchester United boss Mr. Ferguson accuses Liverpool star Fernando Torres of 'cheating'

Mr. Ferguson accused Liverpool striker Fernando Torres of cheating as Manchester United beat their greatest rivals 3-2 at Old Trafford yesterday.

A superb Dimitar Berbatov hat-trick — the first by a United player against Liverpool for 64 years — ensured Ferguson’s team stayed in touch with Chelsea at the top of the table.

But Torres found himself charged by Fergie of trying to get United defender John O’Shea sent off in the incident that led to Steven Gerrard converting a free-kick to make the score 2-2 in the second half.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1313519/Manchester-United-boss-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-accuses-Liverpool-star-Fernando-Torres-cheating.html

That's what his great mate had to say about Roy's team and one of his players today.

I'm all for being friendly and professional but Fergie's the exception. I'd much rather see the Rafa-style approach of pointing out all the twattish behaviour that man seems to get away with.

Actually, I'd like to see it taken a step further and have LFC's manager going in to Old Trafford spraying mace and calling him a c*nt.

Offline Captain Haddock

• No New Posts. Ever.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:03:49 am »
He thinks mediocrity is good. At least his glass is half full.

Bit like Houllier's press conferences - we get outplayed, have pre-historic tactics involving not feeding the best player in our team, and he thinks we were unlucky to lose.

Incidentally, Poulsen = Salif Diao. Both stand around like statues and do fuck all.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:20 am »
I don't mind him giving due respect to teams.  I do expect him to go out and try and take all 3 points in every match...or get through to the next round in every tie we have.  If he's not successful, that's one thing...to not even try, is another.

Offline Grushko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:19 am »
people are just looking for any excuse to have a go at him.
shankly and busby were best mates, shankly called busby the best manager that ever lived.
when the liverpool chairman tom williams first approached the then huddersfield manager bill shankly about him taking over at anfield he said to shankly `how would you like to manage the best club in the country?` to which shankly replied `is matt leaving united?`
imagine roy would have said that.
Did Busby have a pop at Liverpool any chance he got? Nar I didn't think so. That was nearly 50 years ago. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.
You are Always in our Hearts
You are Always in our Thoughts
We Will Never forget You
You Will Never Walk Alone

Gone, but never, ever forgotten.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:47 am »
He thinks mediocrity is good. At least his glass is half full.

Bit like Houllier's press conferences - we get outplayed, have pre-historic tactics involving not feeding the best player in our team, and he thinks we were unlucky to lose.

Incidentally, Poulsen = Salif Diao. Both stand around like statues and do fuck all.

He has been in the job 5 minutes we have a bigger fight elsewhere, so give him a chance and give it a rest, and save your anger or crap comments for Hicks and Gillet, as for mid-table team we are one get used to it!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:09:18 am »
Defo talks too fucking much. Too honest to the c*nts. Be aloof and fuck em . . . . . . . .oh that gets you sacked! I fucking hate football, slysports, the media, and the fucking pope. Can't they all just die?

Offline Crank

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:10:22 am »
Perhaps he's just trying not to knock the team and players who are clearly lacking in confidence after last season? Lower expectations before the game (e.g. Rabotniki), then heap praise on the team if we win. If we don't get the result then move on to the next one.

I don't think the 'oh my god it's all turned to shit' attitude after a defeat helps in the long term.

Different managers have different ways of dealing with the media. Just look at Ferguson and Wenger, they'll always blame the ref, the opposition and the passage of time itself for their bad results, rarely (if ever) will they criticise their team, and never individual players. Mourinho used to (brilliantly imo) make the whole thing all about himself before and after the game, so his players used to get on with playing. No doubt it's different behind the scenes, and imo honesty isn't always the best policy in these situations.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 12:12:37 am »
He's taking the high ground with Ferguson.  Ferguson clearly looks like a right bastard (as he should).  You won...take the points and get over it.  Drunken pile of shit.

Offline Sandblast

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 12:15:13 am »
I can imagine him being a bit of a bastard though when things aren't going right.

Reminds me of a softly spoken geography teacher i used to have - i goaded him to much once, he took me outside & wacked me on the arse with a baseball bat & i flew 6 feet onto the far wall. Sore arse, sore head. A softly spoken mad bastard he was.

But back to Roy - the press are always trying to get the manager into a tight corner. And this is particularly true of Liverpool managers. Look at last season every interview was " Is the title out of reach, Rafa.." or " Rafa, do you still believe 4th spot is possible..?" Spurs are 7 points behind Chelsea, does anyone ask Harry if the title is out of reach..? Did they ask Gollum yesterday.." 2nd bottom, David, is a Europa League spot out of the question for Everton again this season..?"

Roy needs to be a little more cagey, just give himself a bit of thinking time when speaking to the press & i believe that he'll learn that. He'll have to.
" Don't let your heads drop. We're Liverpool. You're playing for Liverpool. Don't forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them. " Rafael Benitez 25th May 2005

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 12:19:52 am »
'Little 'Old Fulham' were the underdogs throughout their Europa League campaign but Hodgson is in different waters now and the quicker he realises that the better.

Realise what? That this squad thrives as underdogs? Does best when the pressure is off? Prefers backs-to-the-wall mentality, on and off the pitch? It's been that way for a long time and Rafa used it to massive advantage in Europe. But it's the absolutely wrong mentality to have for a squad with title ambitions (not that we have that now) but it's so engraved into their mindset that Hodgson isn't just going to make it disappear overnight. 

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 12:28:15 am »
Kingluisgarcia - I'm more than unhappy with Hodgson's attitude.  He's left me bereft (sp) of confidence from day one.  In his first press conference before a friendly he was hoping we wouldn't get beat too heavily.  I guess the fact it was rained off meant we had a lucky escape.  Other friendlies brought the same attitude.  That of defeatest.

We all know there are aspects of the club he has no control of, but one thing he can do is at least try and put some positivity across during the press conferences.  We see oodles via the photos of training sessions, but none of that appears during the press conferences.  It's all a case of woe is me, please don't beat us by too many goals,  we're playing a great team who has a great manager in charge etc.  There's far too much mutual masterbation from Hodgson for my liking.

I'd rather see a bit of Rafa like beligerance during press conferences.  Such as, we're going to win this game.  Dodge every question posed that the manager doesn't want to answer, a possible rant and of course, the rub of the face which was really a 2 fingered salute to the press.  I loved that moment, but Hodgson hasn't got the balls for that.  His heart is with LMA and kissing a lot of ass.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 12:28:54 am »

Have you seen his away form for the last 2 years? And what has he won with Fulham? Zilch. 1 UEFA cup final spot....and even that they lost.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 12:29:47 am »
I am not impressed with Roy and his comments. He smells of someone who willingly accepts defeat and doesn't go into a match with a "YES WE CAN" attitude.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 12:31:15 am »
Least of our problems.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:28 am »
Realise what? That this squad thrives as underdogs? Does best when the pressure is off? Prefers backs-to-the-wall mentality, on and off the pitch? It's been that way for a long time and Rafa used it to massive advantage in Europe. But it's the absolutely wrong mentality to have for a squad with title ambitions (not that we have that now) but it's so engraved into their mindset that Hodgson isn't just going to make it disappear overnight. 

So Hodgson will change that attitude with his continuing negative press conferences before every game then.

I was lead to believe on here and in the press that he's a master at man management, and wraps an arm around the shoulder.  I've seen none such skills so far.  I guess we should just ask Danny Agger.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 12:36:17 am »
Long story short, this is how mid-table mediocrity feels like.  There's no two way about it.  Buckle up, hope we get sold soon, and get ourselves in a position of being where we "must be" (get it Hodgson?).  In the meantime, hope the scum do not run away with a couple of extra titles.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 12:37:40 am »
Why is the tit having a pop at Nando when his wingers Portugese wingers, among others are infamous for their DiCaprio esque performances?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 12:39:25 am »
Least of our problems.

It is a BIG problem. How do you think it goes down the line to the players? It does make a bloody big difference.

How motivated would you be if your manager was already talking about the match with defeat in mind.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 12:44:10 am »
Long story short, this is how mid-table mediocrity feels like.  There's no two way about it.  Buckle up, hope we get sold soon, and get ourselves in a position of being where we "must be" (get it Hodgson?).  In the meantime, hope the scum do not run away with a couple of extra titles.
The thing is, we shouldn't know what mid table mediocrity feels like for at least another season. We've got a squad that is capable of holding it off....if the manager lets them. The fact that we are now in a position where people are speaking of it as something normal, is very wrong. Hodgson is responsible for the dumbing down of our expectations on the pitch. He's a mid table club manager with a mid table club attitude and it shows.

Offline Fauxy

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh na na, whats my name? Rihanna. Get in the van.
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 12:45:10 am »
I think Roy is very honest and direct.

He has only said the truth. Torres won us the west brom game + we arent realistically going to be challenging for the title, even fourth place is unlikely.

I can understand why lots of people find it concerning but I personally would rather have the full on truth rather than answers that are totally unclear and can have multiple meanings (like Rafa sometimes gave)
Follow me on twitter!

http://twitter.com/Benfauxy

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 12:46:41 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1313519/Manchester-United-boss-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-accuses-Liverpool-star-Fernando-Torres-cheating.html

That's what his great mate had to say about Roy's team and one of his players today.

I'm all for being friendly and professional but Mr Alex Ferguson's the exception. I'd much rather see the Rafa-style approach of pointing out all the twattish behaviour that man seems to get away with.

Actually, I'd like to see it taken a step further and have LFC's manager going in to Old Trafford spraying mace and calling him a c*nt.
This is quite laughable from the bacon-faced one when you consider it's on the back of one of the worst displays of diving I've ever seen from that utter c*nt Nani.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 12:46:57 am »
It is a BIG problem. How do you think it goes down the line to the players? It does make a bloody big difference.

How motivated would you be if your manager was already talking about the match with defeat in mind.

I'm sure they pay more attention to their actual team talk? I'm sure Hodgson doesn't say "I hope we don't get beat" in private? I doubt the players listen to Friday press conferences with much enthusiasm.

It is the least of our problems. Noone is going to do well here until those Yanks are gone for good.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:22 am »
Why is the tit having a pop at Nando when his wingers Portugese wingers, among others are infamous for their DiCaprio esque performances?
Because he's a hypocritical arsewipe mate.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 12:57:42 am »
It is a BIG problem.

Being crippled by debt is a big problem, this is just playground bullshit. His job is hard enough as it without our fans stalking his every word to use against him.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 01:02:47 am »
Being crippled by debt is a big problem, this is just playground bullshit. His job is hard enough as it without our fans stalking his every word to use against him.

I agree. Give him time. Things haven't been spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, but now the nightmare start is over, let's see how things go. We're doing the same as last year (results comparison wise) so far- now it's time to kick on and improve. If we're still getting a point a game in December- then we'll panic.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 01:03:27 am »
I wonder if Hodgson will have a go at his bum chum Mr Alex Ferguson after Mr Alex Ferguson has accused Nando of being a cheat after getting that penalty.

I doubt it he will more that likely say after watching it he has a point,.

before saying to Mr Alex Ferguson I take you give after the next match. 

He already addressed it in his post match interview.... said he doesn't want to get involved

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 01:04:08 am »
Well I'm sorry but it does appear that some of our senior-slash-undroppable players were happy to have Roy Yes-sir Hodgson as their manager. Now they can have him and every last one of his gray cowardly hairs.
Have him for all he is and enjoy it while it lasts.

As for it being the least of our problems..well... do you folow our off-pitch descent into oblivion?

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 01:04:45 am »
I wonder if Hodgson will have a go at his bum chum Mr Alex Ferguson after Mr Alex Ferguson has accused Nando of being a cheat after getting that penalty.

I doubt it he will more that likely say after watching it he has a point,.

before saying to Mr Alex Ferguson I take you give after the next match. 

Such great analysis. What are your views on the finer points of Marx?

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 01:05:41 am »
Well I'm sorry but it does appear that some of our senior-slash-undroppable players were happy to have Roy Yes-sir Hodgson as their manager. Now they can have him and every last one of his gray cowardly hairs.
Have him for all he is and enjoy it while it lasts.

As for it being the least of our problems..well... do you folow our off-pitch descent into oblivion?

You were a staunch supporter of the last one?
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline cracka

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 01:08:55 am »
why worry about a simple game managed,controlled and played by millionares? Oh,and whos really listening to Roy anyways?! At least Rafa had a little contempt towards ...everyone!

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 01:12:18 am »
Got to be honest, I'm finding it very hard to like Roy. He seems to be really struggling to endear himself to the supporters. Seems a decent fella and all but some of the shite he comes out with along with the bizarre tactics and substitutions he's made so far do not seem the most encouraging.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 01:15:16 am »
You were a staunch supporter of the last one?

Prefered the way he used to stand up and reply intelligently when being shit upon by hypocritical assholes.