Author Topic: Your opinions on Chinese ownership  (Read 261572 times)

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Re: Your opinions on Chinese ownership
« Reply #2880 on: September 9, 2016, 10:15:35 am »
FSG bought at 300 mill, the club will soon be worth over a Billion, if it isn't already.

This will happen soon or later for this reason, in my view.

Plus, the TV revenue potential of all those hundreds of millions of Chinese middle class is vast, beyond dreams.

There is no point fighting it. The comforting thought is that Liverpool Football Club is only worth something if it has a connection to local fans and the city of Liverpool. That will never change, regardless or who signs the cheques or plans the commercial deals.

The reality is global, we have fans who get out of bed in Shanghai, Umlam Bator, Chicago, Brisbane, Delhi to cheer on the Mighty Reds.

But what they buying into is a club powered by local passion and Liverpool people.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #2881 on: September 9, 2016, 10:19:26 am »
FSG bought at 300 mill, the club will soon be worth over a Billion, if it isn't already.

Plus, the TV revenue potential of all those hundreds of millions of Chinese middle class is vast, beyond dreams.

There is no point fighting it. The comforting thought is that Liverpool Football Club is only worth something if it has a connection to local fans and the city of Liverpool. That will never change, regardless or who signs the cheques or plans the commercial deals.

The reality is global, we have fans who get out of bed in Shanghai, Umlam Bator, Chicago, Brisbane, Delhi to cheer on the Mighty Reds.

But what they buying into is a club powered by local passion and Liverpool people.

And therefore the question ought not to be "what are your opinions on Chinese ownership", but rather "what do you think a potential Chinese part stake would do for the City of Liverpool, its people, and Merseyside generally?"

That's a better question, I would think.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline ENSKIED

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2882 on: September 9, 2016, 10:21:11 am »
I just want to add, for thought, once the Chinese government own LFC, they will never sell. To the Chinese that would be considered loss of face, which is totally socially unacceptable. I suspect the Venky's are of a similar mindset, refusing to respond so far to requests to meet to discuss their clubs future. So, are all you who want to sell ready for a whole lifetime of being the puppet club of a faraway land?.

There is no proof of some of what you say there whatsoever, I don't mean to baldy offend a fellow Red there but that I believe is possibly based on your own musings, meanderings or whatever, for example a week is a long, long time in politics!!! And China as country is in the throes of great change and in the process is becoming more an more open to change and having trained with some Chinese and so forth, I personally found them very receptive and very agreeable, they come from a culture of honour that is for sure in regard to my knowledge of "them". So as long as we Liverpool FC under Chinese stewardship are competing with the best and winning the best, who cares if they own us to the 23rd Century or beyond? By which time to parody a well know ex-manager we hopefully will have knocked Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern and Man U well and truly off their f******perches.  ;)

Incidentally in case you hadn't noticed MAR, FSG come from a "faraway land" and these faraway lands these days are reached in the time it takes to walk down the pub have few bevies and a good curry, we are not talking the days of China Sea tea cliippers here ya know - and they are human beings after all not aliens. ;D 

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2883 on: September 9, 2016, 10:23:35 am »
And therefore the question ought not to be "what are your opinions on Chinese ownership", but rather "what do you think a potential Chinese part stake would do for the City of Liverpool, its people, and Merseyside generally?"

That's a better question, I would think.

Yeah, if they can build infrastructure and benefits for the City of Liverpool then that seals the deal. Foreign investment, innit.
Benefits on both sides. UK open for business etc.

Long term we want Liverpool the city to prosper and the football club to be toe-to-toe with the elite clubs in Europe and the Premier league.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2884 on: September 9, 2016, 10:29:42 am »
Oh I was just wondering.

That's good to know.

That's cool but you still havent supplied the basis for your allusion to it being logical.

And where are you from?

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2885 on: September 9, 2016, 10:31:26 am »
Yeah, if they can build infrastructure and benefits for the City of Liverpool then that seals the deal. Foreign investment, innit.
Benefits on both sides. UK open for business etc.

Long term we want Liverpool the city to prosper and the football club to be toe-to-toe with the elite clubs in Europe and the Premier league.

The Chinese property development companies are huge. You see them literally take over vast blocs of land in parts of Malaysia and they bring in workers and engineers from China wholesale and raise condos, shopping complexes, etc. There's good and bad in that, I suppose.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2886 on: September 9, 2016, 10:32:37 am »

Aye, thank fuck we've never experienced a takeover by people who had the same idea of the club making them easy and nearly had us doing a Portsmouth. Comforting thoughts indeed.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2887 on: September 9, 2016, 10:35:02 am »
You merely saying that it is logical does not make it so.

Literally just spat my tea all over my computer.

John, I may need to dip into company expenses.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2888 on: September 9, 2016, 10:42:29 am »
Literally just spat my tea all over my computer.

John, I may need to dip into company expenses.

Why don't you stop being childishly petulant and cease being personal? Your bad attitude towards me is not helping this thread in any way.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2889 on: September 9, 2016, 10:44:20 am »
Why don't you stop being childishly petulant and cease being personal? Your bad attitude towards me is not helping this thread in any way.

What was personal this time? You appear a touchy one who is seemingly unable to take a joke. You should lighten up a little mate.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2890 on: September 9, 2016, 10:45:31 am »
I just want to add, for thought, once the Chinese government own LFC, they will never sell. To the Chinese that would be considered loss of face, which is totally socially unacceptable. I suspect the Venky's are of a similar mindset, refusing to respond so far to requests to meet to discuss their clubs future. So, are all you who want to sell ready for a whole lifetime of being the puppet club of a faraway land?.

That's speculation and doesn't bear close scrutiny:

http://www.scmp.com/business/money/markets-investing/article/1481468/china-everbright-goes-full-steam-expansion-after

China Everbright is a business conglomerate and they will dispose of assets if they aren't performing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2891 on: September 9, 2016, 10:52:27 am »
???

Then that would obviously be different to the point that was being made....?

I might have misunderstood, I understood your point as inferring to those that are making arguments for the Chinese purchase as only caring about winning.

edit: I would say a minority, rather than a majority, of the posts supporting a Chinese purchase are not solely caring about winning.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 10:54:08 am by Doc Red »
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #2892 on: September 9, 2016, 10:54:22 am »
As has probably been repeated several times in this thread, net spend is not the best indicator of financial expenditure on transfers.  It's wages that seem to have a closer link to success. There have been numerous occasions when we might have matched an offer, but lost out on the gap in wages. Additionally,  the capability to offer high wages can make it easier for us to keep our core players, instead of seeing them seek transfers elsewhere. You can't expect our top players to have salaries vastly dwarfed by other contenders and expect them to not consider moving on to other clubs competing for titles and with higher salaries to boot, simply because we're Liverpool and we budget costs the FSG way.
I agree with your point, FSG are  a careful sporting investment firm, they own Liverpool for reasons other than interest. And yes, they have done things that are more moneyman than fan. But to date at least they have maintained a reasonably good relationship with the fans. I am just wary of unknown consortiums and their intentions and feel it we would be better to look before you leap rather than say "well, FSG are just the thin end of the wedge to a fan ass-fucking anyway, may as well take a chance on the entire wedge being shoved up there and take the new money on offer." I think we should let the thin edge of the wedge circle the rim for as long as possible, imo.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2893 on: September 9, 2016, 11:00:28 am »
I agree with your point, FSG are  a careful sporting investment firm, they own Liverpool for reasons other than interest. And yes, they have done things that are more moneyman than fan. But to date at least they have maintained a reasonably good relationship with the fans. I am just wary of unknown consortiums and their intentions and feel it we would be better to look before you leap rather than say "well, FSG are just the thin end of the wedge to a fan ass-fucking anyway, may as well take a chance on the entire wedge being shoved up there and take the new money on offer." I think we should let the thin edge of the wedge circle the rim for as long as possible, imo.

Best post on the thread.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2894 on: September 9, 2016, 11:03:34 am »
What was personal this time? You appear a touchy one who is seemingly unable to take a joke. You should lighten up a little mate.

Really...Oh it was a "joke" was it...
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 11:07:33 am by ThePoolMan »

Offline Red JR

• Main Stander
« Reply #2895 on: September 9, 2016, 11:05:01 am »
This phenomenon may be why Ibramovich and Pogba are wiling to sign up for United despite them being out of Europe.
I think you're spot on there. Net spend maybe used to be the main indicator but when you think about it it's wages that often dictate transfers now. Lfc can probably go out and buy a £60m player but will we offer him £300k a week? Most likely not. Obviously it's not as black and white as that in all deals otherwise everybody would be rushing to China but in general I think you're right.  The game is so controlled by players now.
YNWA

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2896 on: September 9, 2016, 11:07:07 am »
I agree with your point, FSG are  a careful sporting investment firm, they own Liverpool for reasons other than interest. And yes, they have done things that are more moneyman than fan. But to date at least they have maintained a reasonably good relationship with the fans.

The reality is that the club is FSG's and they will do with it whatever they want according to first and foremost their interest.

They are not cash strapped and hocked to a bank like the previous owners so that the fans are able to agitate and influence the bank...

There's not a thing we can do about it this time.

« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 11:09:21 am by ThePoolMan »

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #2897 on: September 9, 2016, 11:16:46 am »
That's speculation and doesn't bear close scrutiny:

http://www.scmp.com/business/money/markets-investing/article/1481468/china-everbright-goes-full-steam-expansion-after

China Everbright is a business conglomerate and they will dispose of assets if they aren't performing.
Well, by accident or design, you have hit the nail of my point on the head. These " assets if they aren't performing", just happens to be the club I support, and that disposal would be the start of the club going in to another lengthy cycle of rebuild. I realise my previous comment could be misread as xenophobic, but I was attempting a short hand when using the term faraway land, to imply a massively different culture. If you want to get a sense of this, look at the building of Olympic facilities in London and compare that with the stories of the working conditions for the building of Beijing facilities. American working conditions are just as reasonable as ours, and American culture is in our homes via tv, music and general entertainment - it is not one of sacrificing the aspirations of the individual for the good of the country, as we have seen in Chinese culture for all our lives so far. Any talk of openness and change in China is Jam tomorrow, not life there today for the masses. The philosophy our current owners are employing in the running of the club is a gradual building up, and I can see it happening with my own eyes. The first Chinese owner of a football club I can see is the one who bought Birmingham City, and I believe he is in prison for Fraud, and Tony Xia who has his eyes on owning Aston Villa is currently being written about in the telegraph: "he fabricated his academic record, while a company he controlled has apparently previously run foul of authorities for providing false information to secure a certificate. "
There is no such thing as due diligence on ownership in reality. If you have the wad of cash by any means, and the previous crew want to offload, their real interest is the colour of the money. I would rather go head to head with the team they go for after passing us over, as they go about bungling the attempt to over inflate a mid table club. We will be the tortoise in the parable of the tortoise and the hare.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 11:20:43 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2898 on: September 9, 2016, 11:22:28 am »
I might have misunderstood, I understood your point as inferring to those that are making arguments for the Chinese purchase as only caring about winning.

edit: I would say a minority, rather than a majority, of the posts supporting a Chinese purchase are not solely caring about winning.

Nah not at all, I get that people want us to have more money to be able compete. I disagree with that because it makes it seem like we havent been able to compete for non-footballing reasons, when in actual fact we've just not made good decisions and have still spent plenty of money. More than others who consistently finish above us.

But yeah there is a minority who have been pretty vocal in making it clear the priority for them is to support a successful club, and whatever might happen to the football or the experience of support is secondary.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2899 on: September 9, 2016, 11:31:14 am »
The reality is that the club is FSG's and they will do with it whatever they want according to first and foremost their interest.

They are not cash strapped and hocked to a bank like the previous owners so that the fans are able to agitate and influence the bank...

There's not a thing we can do about it this time.

I`ll think you`ll find that there are lot`s of things that disgruntled fans can do to cause unscrupulous ownership groups problems, at least in an open democracy.

Personally I think FSG have been good owners/custodians on the whole, which makes the prospect of "unknown" owners taking over a source of worry for many people.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2900 on: September 9, 2016, 11:36:20 am »
"well, FSG are just the thin end of the wedge to a fan ass-fucking anyway, may as well take a chance on the entire wedge being shoved up there and take the new money on offer." I think we should let the thin edge of the wedge circle the rim for as long as possible, imo.

To quote TAW, ban this filth :D
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2901 on: September 9, 2016, 11:43:30 am »
Nah not at all, I get that people want us to have more money to be able compete. I disagree with that because it makes it seem like we havent been able to compete for non-footballing reasons, when in actual fact we've just not made good decisions and have still spent plenty of money. More than others who consistently finish above us.

With the exception of Spurs in recent years that's just not the case.
We've been at a clear financial disadvantage - particularly in wage bill (which is what counts) - to first 1 then 2 and now 4 clubs.
Our fall in average league position over the last 25 years correlates with this.
Really not sure why people want to debate this all the time... it's like they don't want it to be to be the answer to our decline regardless of the facts

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2902 on: September 9, 2016, 11:45:44 am »
Well, by accident or design, you have hit the nail of my point on the head. These " assets if they aren't performing", just happens to be the club I support, and that disposal would be the start of the club going in to another lengthy cycle of rebuild. I realise my previous comment could be misread as xenophobic, but I was attempting a short hand when using the term faraway land, to imply a massively different culture. If you want to get a sense of this, look at the building of Olympic facilities in London and compare that with the stories of the working conditions for the building of Beijing facilities. American working conditions are just as reasonable as ours, and American culture is in our homes via tv, music and general entertainment - it is not one of sacrificing the aspirations of the individual for the good of the country, as we have seen in Chinese culture for all our lives so far. Any talk of openness and change in China is Jam tomorrow, not life there today for the masses. The philosophy our current owners are employing in the running of the club is a gradual building up, and I can see it happening with my own eyes. The first Chinese owner of a football club I can see is the one who bought Birmingham City, and I believe he is in prison for Fraud, and Tony Xia who has his eyes on owning Aston Villa is currently being written about in the telegraph: "he fabricated his academic record, while a company he controlled has apparently previously run foul of authorities for providing false information to secure a certificate. "
There is no such thing as due diligence on ownership in reality. If you have the wad of cash by any means, and the previous crew want to offload, their real interest is the colour of the money. I would rather go head to head with the team they go for after passing us over, as they go about bungling the attempt to over inflate a mid table club. We will be the tortoise in the parable of the tortoise and the hare.

This is real-life, not an Aesop fable. In modern football, slow and steady doesn't win the race.  Chelsea and Man City are two of the Premier League super clubs, and yet were recently mid-table or lower.  Even Leicester's miraculous premier league title wouldn't have happened without a billionaire taking over in 2011.

Everton or someone like Leeds could be transformed into a top club within 5 years or less with some Chinese billions.  Within ten years, success for the club will have won them fans all around the globe - especially in China.  The further you go from source, the more likely it is that fans will switch and form allegiances based on success. People without any local or familial connection to Liverpool will buy into the nouveau-successes more readily.  I'm well-travelled, and in the past ten years the amount of people I've seen abroad wearing Chelsea shirts has increased exponentially, and City is following suit. Liverpool's large global following is based upon historical successes, not some naturally occurring, organic affinity for the team.

I believe in what Klopp is doing - the slow building of his team - but I don't want it to be the same as BVB, where once Klopp had created his great team, it was torn apart by teams with more money.  I want us to have the financial clout to be able to retain our best players once we've built a successful team.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2903 on: September 9, 2016, 11:51:56 am »
Aye, thank fuck we've never experienced a takeover by people who had the same idea of the club making them easy and nearly had us doing a Portsmouth. Comforting thoughts indeed.

Like all things in life, there is the capacity for things to go tits up. Hopefully though tin-pot capitalists cannot afford us now.
The next buy-out probably won't be a leveraged one, it will be a sovereign fund richer than 100 Donald Trumps.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2904 on: September 9, 2016, 11:54:05 am »
We've been at a clear financial disadvantage - particularly in wage bill (which is what counts) - to first 1 then 2 and now 4 clubs.
Our fall in average league position over the last 25 years correlates with this.
Really not sure why people want to debate this all the time... it's like they don't want it to be to be the answer to our decline regardless of the facts

Yup, totally agree.  Also, rich teams can afford to make expensive mistakes.  £64m of DiMaria and Falcao's wages could be written off easily for Utd.  Mistakes are more critical to us. Wages are critical too.  We simply cannot compete on that front with at least 4 PL clubs.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2905 on: September 9, 2016, 12:00:51 pm »

We're at a disadvantage to Chelsea and Man City, as are pretty much every other club in this league, and United. We're at a disadvantage to Arsenal because they've made better footballing decisions than us. We finish below Spurs because they make better footballing decisions than us.

You can come up with as many excuses as you want, about wage bill, net spend, normal spend, blah blah blah. We've made shit footballing decisions. This magical mystery group of Chinese businessmen who have absolutely zero experience of running a football club are not going to change that.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2906 on: September 9, 2016, 12:08:21 pm »
We're at a disadvantage to Chelsea and Man City, as are pretty much every other club in this league, and United. We're at a disadvantage to Arsenal because they've made better footballing decisions than us. We finish below Spurs because they make better footballing decisions than us.

You can come up with as many excuses as you want, about wage bill, net spend, normal spend, blah blah blah. We've made shit footballing decisions. This magical mystery group of Chinese businessmen who have absolutely zero experience of running a football club are not going to change that.

Cool - so you're now accepting we're at a material disadvantage to 4 clubs before we kick a ball?
That's different to your initial post

Do you also accept that means we're asking any liverpool manager or team of people making 'footballing decisions' to significantly over achieve while, at the same time, the richer clubs don't also significantly over achieve, in order for us to compete for the league?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2907 on: September 9, 2016, 12:08:28 pm »
Yup, totally agree.  Also, rich teams can afford to make expensive mistakes.  £64m of DiMaria and Falcao's wages could be written off easily for Utd.  Mistakes are more critical to us. Wages are critical too.  We simply cannot compete on that front with at least 4 PL clubs.

Mistakes are more critical to us because we continually make them. We've spent £100 million odd purely on strikers who were never going to be suitable for us.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2908 on: September 9, 2016, 12:25:56 pm »
Mistakes are more critical to us because we continually make them. We've spent £100 million odd purely on strikers who were never going to be suitable for us.

Yeah we also bought Suarez, Sturridge and Torres - 3 of the best strikers to play for us.
We've made mistakes and we've made genius moves

None of this changes the fact that we're asking Klopp to give the other clubs a 50,60,70 million wage bill head start in footballing talent and then go compete for the league

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #2909 on: September 9, 2016, 12:35:56 pm »
Yeah we also bought Suarez, Sturridge and Torres - 3 of the best strikers to play for us.

None of this changes the fact that we're asking Klopp to give the other clubs a 50,60,70 million wage bill head start in footballing talent and then go compete for the league

I would say aswell (and to be honest I don't even know if it's relevant!) but FSG have seemed to me to be willing to give bigger contracts where necesary to players who have come in and then reached the level expected of them, Sturridge and Suarez being two that I can think of. I have never really looked into player wages too much (at all) 

If Firmino, Origi, Can (who I think is under contract negotiations at the moment) all perform well this season I can see them getting larger long term contracts and wages, I would guess, which is a dangerous thing to do, that Klopp also got an increased wage package when he signed a longer term contract.

Potential for Mane too??

Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2910 on: September 9, 2016, 12:39:19 pm »

No, we're asking Klopp to punch at the weight we should be (which is at least 5th based on every parameter you want to measure finance by) and to then hopefully punch above that. But we don't. We make shit football decisions which leads us to finishing 7th/8th and then moan that the reason we finish there is because we don't spend enough.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2911 on: September 9, 2016, 12:49:27 pm »
No, we're asking Klopp to punch at the weight we should be (which is at least 5th based on every parameter you want to measure finance by) and to then hopefully punch above that. But we don't. We make shit football decisions which leads us to finishing 7th/8th and then moan that the reason we finish there is because we don't spend enough.

You're conflating issues. No one is arguing 7th or 8th is good enough or where we should be finishing.
Surely the question about our ownership is whether they have a strategy to contend for the league? I thought that's what we were talking about

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2912 on: September 9, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »
But of course we need TWO things:

--enough income/money to buy top players

--the right strategy from a Director of Football type - working in conjunction with Klopp, 1st team meister.

It's means no more Benteke's, and also means we might get the Ousmane Dembele's of the future, and also one or two N'Golo Kante's from near rivals.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2913 on: September 9, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »
You're conflating issues. No one is arguing 7th or 8th is good enough or where we should be finishing.
Surely the question about our ownership is whether they have a strategy to contend for the league? I thought that's what we were talking about

Yeah, but the logical way is to actually have a strategy to punch at our own weight surely? You know, like contending for CL places on a consistent basis?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2914 on: September 9, 2016, 02:01:25 pm »
Yeah, but the logical way is to actually have a strategy to punch at our own weight surely? You know, like contending for CL places on a consistent basis?

Sure. We don't have that at the moment.
Although punching our weight is currently 5th so even that doesn't equate to a champions league place consistently
The current ownership seem want football to bridge the gap that money creates (although its hard to discern what their priorities and targets are) .... when actually money bridges the gap money creates!

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2915 on: September 9, 2016, 02:26:46 pm »
Sure. We don't have that at the moment.
Although punching our weight is currently 5th so even that doesn't equate to a champions league place consistently
The current ownership seem want football to bridge the gap that money creates (although its hard to discern what their priorities and targets are) .... when actually money bridges the gap money creates!

That would raise 2 questions about fsg:-
1. Are they being realistic if that is the strategy (and how does stadium development impact their strategy)?
2. Has their tenure been a failure to date? We have consistently finished lower than 5th under fsg ownership. Do we judge them this way?
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Mighty Zeus

• Legacy Fan
  • Smite the Tories (with lightning)
« Reply #2916 on: September 9, 2016, 02:38:03 pm »
Gypsy Zeus predicts that under majority Chinese ownership we'd be in a breakaway Euro league within thirteen minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/09/la-liga-president-champions-league-breakaway

I'm fairly confident the traditions of English football culture would be the last things on the minds of these Chinese negotiators when presented with global TV markets.

We talk about investment being God, but you know, investors want the highest return on the money. Traditions and indeed people don't really feature in Chinese political/economic culture, in case you'd missed the last couple of decades.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 02:44:14 pm by Mighty Zeus »
Socialist Ignoramus Since 2500 BCE

Offline ENSKIED

• Main Stander
« Reply #2917 on: September 9, 2016, 02:38:27 pm »
Well I have read all the posts, some great posts on here on both sides. helping to confirm why TGM Shankly said,  "The Liverpool fans are the most knowledgeable in the game", anyway I read 'em with an impartial eye and mind, and I am compelled to say in the speak of our, Hooray Henry politicans the "ayes have it!" The naysayers thus far are trailing, so IMHO based on the evidence so far it's  Sell! Sell Sell!  ;)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #2918 on: September 9, 2016, 02:49:10 pm »

And if FSG do as they are doing, the club could be worth 1.5 billion in 5 years time.

FSG aren't fools and they know the market potential, that the increase in club worth will continue to rise.

Those advocating they'll make a big return on their initial purchase price and should sell now, don't understand FSG.

This is also a reason why they haven't sold the Red Sox as well. They would make a ton of money over their purchase price. But the value of the Red Sox is not going to go down any time soon.

I'll say it one more time, owning a club give money men a thrill that buying and selling a business doesn't. It's the ability to win big games, to challenge for "trophies", and win some if things go right.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2919 on: September 9, 2016, 02:53:21 pm »
Too many complications in the group structure.

No thanks.