Author Topic: Any vinyl junkies out there....?  (Read 73017 times)

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Re: Any vinyl junkies out there....?
« Reply #520 on: January 4, 2022, 07:53:35 pm »
It's good to be back mate.

I'm not sure which ones he's looking at, I leave those decisions to him.  All I know is they're 4 channel ones so that we've got the vinyl decks and hard drive/memory stick connected.

We got the house on Anglesey.  Totally isolated so we can play our music as loud as we want, at any time of the day or night.

We've not had our decks set up for about 10yrs now, we've just used mp3s, CDs and things like Spotify.

I can't wait, though a bit scared that I'll have forgotten what to do 🤦
Ypull be sound ya daft apeth. If you want to control mp3s etc with ya vinyl decks Youll most likely have to pay that bit extra to be able to play vinyl on ya controller. The DVS software is usually a bit more then you have to buy the time coded vinyls. If its just vinyl mixing along with the mp3s just go through the other channels (3 & 4) and you should be sound. Most of the cheaper ones dont give you any extra ins an outs which is shite.

Get yaself a soundcloud and throw ya mixes up or on mixcloud or something ;)

Nice one about the house. haha itll be rockin
« Last Edit: January 4, 2022, 07:55:21 pm by Capon Debaser »

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #521 on: January 4, 2022, 08:40:44 pm »
Ypull be sound ya daft apeth. If you want to control mp3s etc with ya vinyl decks Youll most likely have to pay that bit extra to be able to play vinyl on ya controller. The DVS software is usually a bit more then you have to buy the time coded vinyls. If its just vinyl mixing along with the mp3s just go through the other channels (3 & 4) and you should be sound. Most of the cheaper ones dont give you any extra ins an outs which is shite.

Get yaself a soundcloud and throw ya mixes up or on mixcloud or something ;)

Nice one about the house. haha itll be rockin

Yeah that's how we'll do it mate, keep it simple like me 😂

Not sure about sharing mixes, they only sound decent in my head and absolutely terrible listening back to them 🙄

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #522 on: January 5, 2022, 11:12:14 am »
Yeah that's how we'll do it mate, keep it simple like me 😂

Not sure about sharing mixes, they only sound decent in my head and absolutely terrible listening back to them 🙄
haha So, how long you been mixing? Are you a novice are ya?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: January 5, 2022, 12:35:41 pm »
haha So, how long you been mixing? Are you a novice are ya?

Not long really mate, I started in 2002 when I met Paul but he'd been mixing for years. 

I'm still very much a novice but he's really good and can mix pretty much anything whereas I just like to play a few tunes 😁

I have missed it though and I'm excited to go through my vinyl again.  It's been locked away in flight cases for over a decade.

In fact that's given me an idea for my next DIY project.  Build some shelving to house all our vinyl 👍

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #524 on: January 5, 2022, 04:33:16 pm »
Not long really mate, I started in 2002 when I met Paul but he'd been mixing for years. 

I'm still very much a novice but he's really good and can mix pretty much anything whereas I just like to play a few tunes 😁

I have missed it though and I'm excited to go through my vinyl again.  It's been locked away in flight cases for over a decade.

In fact that's given me an idea for my next DIY project.  Build some shelving to house all our vinyl 👍
If ya go down the buying route,Kallax are ya best bet from IKEA. Struggled for years to find anything decent. Easy to assemble etc and solid. Ive got loads of em.

Glad its all coming together for ya. The house an everything. Well in .

Something dead relaxing about mixing isnt there once you get the hang of it?

i got a new OMNITRONIC 4 Channel Rotary Mixer last week. Turns up new years eve. Pretty much knackered straight out the box. Brand new it was. Waiting on the company to get bck in touch

Making loadsa noise an no sound from headphones. Was gorgeous sounding up until that point. Dead cushioned velvet sound like no mixer id had before. Ive loads (Digital and anolog) This was easily the best sounding

E2-E46835-C91-F-437-D-9336-87-DFFE70-D668" border="0

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: January 5, 2022, 05:12:08 pm »
If ya go down the buying route,Kallax are ya best bet from IKEA. Struggled for years to find anything decent. Easy to assemble etc and solid. Ive got loads of em.

Glad its all coming together for ya. The house an everything. Well in .

Something dead relaxing about mixing isnt there once you get the hang of it?

i got a new OMNITRONIC 4 Channel Rotary Mixer last week. Turns up new years eve. Pretty much knackered straight out the box. Brand new it was. Waiting on the company to get bck in touch

Making loadsa noise an no sound from headphones. Was gorgeous sounding up until that point. Dead cushioned velvet sound like no mixer id had before. Ive loads (Digital and anolog) This was easily the best sounding

E2-E46835-C91-F-437-D-9336-87-DFFE70-D668" border="0

That looks a beaut so how annoying it's not working properly.

I've no idea if ours still works it's that long since we used it and they're obsolete now so no chance of getting parts.

I'll have a look at those kallax thanks, if nothing else it'll give me a template to work from 👍

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #526 on: January 6, 2022, 09:10:39 am »
That looks a beaut so how annoying it's not working properly.

I've no idea if ours still works it's that long since we used it and they're obsolete now so no chance of getting parts.

I'll have a look at those kallax thanks, if nothing else it'll give me a template to work from 👍
Youll be surprised at the parts you can get on eBay for discontinued mixers. Yeah, it’s annoying but they got intouch late yesterday and agreed to take it back and replace so that’s good

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: January 6, 2022, 12:34:30 pm »
Youll be surprised at the parts you can get on eBay for discontinued mixers. Yeah, it’s annoying but they got intouch late yesterday and agreed to take it back and replace so that’s good

That's good news then mate.

Not sure about parts for ours as I was planning on buying Paul a table for all our gear and needed the measurements for the mixer to make sure everything would fit but couldn't find anything when I googled it.

There were a few ads selling for parts but the most recent I could find were from 2005/6.

I've still got an old DJMag somewhere as I contacted them about getting some repairs done years ago and they featured the letter with the contact details of the guy who made them.

It's an Intimidation Don if you've ever heard of them.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: January 6, 2022, 01:03:17 pm »
Found and bought Lana Del Rey's 'Norman Fucking Rockwell' double LP.
Can't wait for it to arrive.

Quite enjoying this hunt for 'dear to me for whatever reason' albums.
Only about 200 to go until I cover my base. :D

Desperately resisting the urge not to start looking for better speakers.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #529 on: January 6, 2022, 01:17:35 pm »
That's good news then mate.

Not sure about parts for ours as I was planning on buying Paul a table for all our gear and needed the measurements for the mixer to make sure everything would fit but couldn't find anything when I googled it.

There were a few ads selling for parts but the most recent I could find were from 2005/6.

I've still got an old DJMag somewhere as I contacted them about getting some repairs done years ago and they featured the letter with the contact details of the guy who made them.

It's an Intimidation Don if you've ever heard of them.

yeah I’ve heard of them. Used one once at a party. Wasn’t mine but ya know how it is. Use other people’s gear at a party/ gig. Nice mixer that from what I remember

Again, the IKEA kallax will easily fit 2decks and a 19” mixer. If you’re struggling. 8 boxes you can fit about 50 plus records in(depending on thickness / double pls etc)

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #530 on: January 6, 2022, 01:20:53 pm »

get yaself into debt mate. Lose ya house, and have ya family not want to talk to ya. It’s worth it. It’s a lovely feeling ;D

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: January 6, 2022, 01:52:09 pm »
Well, it's going that way for sure.

I don't really need to go overboard in all honesty, a solid pair of active bookshelf speakers will do for now.
Been eyeing some Klipsch models, they seem to get solid reviews everywhere, but I'll cook on it for now and instead spend money on records.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: January 6, 2022, 02:53:10 pm »
yeah I’ve heard of them. Used one once at a party. Wasn’t mine but ya know how it is. Use other people’s gear at a party/ gig. Nice mixer that from what I remember

Again, the IKEA kallax will easily fit 2decks and a 19” mixer. If you’re struggling. 8 boxes you can fit about 50 plus records in(depending on thickness / double pls etc)

I've been looking at those shelving units for storage, never thought about using them for the decks though they might be a bit high for me, I'm only a short arse 😂

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #533 on: January 6, 2022, 02:56:34 pm »
I've been looking at those shelving units for storage, never thought about using them for the decks though they might be a bit high for me, I'm only a short arse 😂

haha they  ain’t high mate. They’re just right for the small to average person. I’m 6,2/6,3 and bend down normally but my flight cases prop them up that extra few inches

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #534 on: January 6, 2022, 02:57:20 pm »

I don't really need to go overboard in all honesty, a solid pair of active bookshelf speakers will do for now.
Been eyeing some Klipsch models, they seem to get solid reviews everywhere, but I'll cook on it for now and instead spend money on records.

Klipsch. Nice

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: January 6, 2022, 03:07:24 pm »
haha they  ain’t high mate. They’re just right for the small to average person. I’m 6,2/6,3 and bend down normally but my flight cases prop them up that extra few inches

They're 147cms high, I'm only 150cms 😂

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #536 on: January 6, 2022, 03:14:38 pm »
They're 147cms high, I'm only 150cms 😂
You put them on the side you plant pot ;D

That’s if you stand them upright. Get the 8 boxed version that measures about 77cms on its side :wave

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: January 6, 2022, 03:18:14 pm »
You put them on the side you plant pot ;D

That’s if you stand them upright. Get the 8 boxed version that measures about 77cms on its side :wave

😂😂 I'm looking at the 16 box ones for the vinyl so not even looked at the others 🤦

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #538 on: January 6, 2022, 03:20:22 pm »

😂😂 I'm looking at the 16 box ones for the vinyl so not even looked at the others 🤦
hahaha the 8 box one is about 77cm high on its side and 147 cms long which is sound for 2 decks and a 19” mixer ;D

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #539 on: January 6, 2022, 03:22:03 pm »
Entered a comp a bit back. Basically the record company who’s competition it was asked anyone entering to take pics of their record collection of that label and by Clint Mansell….n try n be a bit creative. I didn’t win but, here’s my entries…

8-F9-B0068-F348-4-EF8-B4-EF-896-E9-C7-EC62-E" border="0

8-FDC1636-541-C-42-CE-B72-A-85-B56-A48502-F" border="0

CBF6-E14-E-F7-FA-4527-903-D-5092028-E36-D0" border="0
Eyar Debs. Like this ;D

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: January 6, 2022, 03:37:22 pm »
Eyar Debs. Like this ;D

That's a smart set up mate.

I could build a proper booth area with 2 of those in an L shape with the 16 box one against a wall full of vinyl.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #541 on: January 6, 2022, 03:56:14 pm »
That's a smart set up mate.

I could build a proper booth area with 2 of those in an L shape with the 16 box one against a wall full of vinyl.

Thanks.

Yeah, like ya thinkin you could have a boss lil Booth for all ya needs . Allsorts of sizes for whatever ya need. Try facebook marketplace for em or Shpock?? Theres usually quite a few people selling em around half the price they go for at ikea

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: January 6, 2022, 04:06:29 pm »
Thanks.

Yeah, like ya thinkin you could have a boss lil Booth for all ya needs . Allsorts of sizes for whatever ya need. Try facebook marketplace for em or Shpock?? Theres usually quite a few people selling em around half the price they go for at ikea

Yep cos we'll need space for a monitor, controller, amp etc. 

I'll check out those other sites too so thanks for the suggestion 👍

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #543 on: January 6, 2022, 04:27:01 pm »

You were bragging about your abseiling skills a few minutes ago.....

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: January 6, 2022, 04:50:43 pm »
You were bragging about your abseiling skills a few minutes ago.....

😂😂😂

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: January 6, 2022, 06:31:21 pm »
This is now getting to be a fucking expensive hobby

Want Dire Straits "on the night" - fuck me this is expensive. Not paying more than $100 a record.

Just ordered 5 items from discogs - made sure the seller was legit etc and had 100% track record.
I be fucked now :(

Then ordered some from amazon - Depeche Mode - again fucking expensive - oh well

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #546 on: January 7, 2022, 03:03:22 pm »
This is now getting to be a fucking expensive hobby

Want Dire Straits "on the night" - fuck me this is expensive. Not paying more than $100 a record.

Just ordered 5 items from discogs - made sure the seller was legit etc and had 100% track record.
I be fucked now :(

Then ordered some from amazon - Depeche Mode - again fucking expensive - oh well

Which Depeche Mode?  Our lass has quite a few from back in the 80's but won't let me add to Discogs even though I told her that it's not a selling site, just somewhere to list albums.  Then I can sell once i've killed her.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: January 7, 2022, 05:23:41 pm »
Which Depeche Mode?  Our lass has quite a few from back in the 80's but won't let me add to Discogs even though I told her that it's not a selling site, just somewhere to list albums.  Then I can sell once i've killed her.

Depeche Mode - The Best Of
Got all the ones i really like

Fucking Amazon - packaged well but bent edges - can't be arsed to send it back. Love the album though - sounds great
« Last Edit: January 8, 2022, 12:58:56 am by nuts100 »

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: January 7, 2022, 07:09:25 pm »
Anyone give any thought to whether the album is from an analogue master or digital. I don't have much love for digital master because I think it makes much more sense to have a flac or wav file and play it through a good DAC and stereo. I've a decent vinyl system and decent computer hi Fi.
I'm really chasing the best sound I can get, and seem to have just copped on that if I'm bothering with vinyl it makes sense to have an analogue recording.

Digital vinyl is like recording a CD on to a vinyl. Makes no sense.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: January 7, 2022, 07:37:18 pm »
Got Iggy Pop ‘American Caesar’ double LP from my wife. As if I needed a reminder why I maried her.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: January 7, 2022, 09:52:10 pm »

funny that mate, I've just got myself a record player again after a few years without and that was one of the ones I was struggling to get hold of. Finally got it and gave it a whirl yesterday for the first time. Fantastic album and really nice to listen to it on vinyl.

I got some speakers with Bluetooth so to avoid getting myself in crippling debt I'm basically trying to get all my absolute favourites on vinyl and then sticking to Spotify for the rest.

Capon, cheers for mentioning that unit from IKEA, I was looking into getting some storage for them but some of the stuff out there is ridiculously expensive. That looks just the ticket!

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #551 on: January 7, 2022, 10:08:38 pm »
funny that mate, I've just got myself a record player again after a few years without and that was one of the ones I was struggling to get hold of. Finally got it and gave it a whirl yesterday for the first time. Fantastic album and really nice to listen to it on vinyl.

I got some speakers with Bluetooth so to avoid getting myself in crippling debt I'm basically trying to get all my absolute favourites on vinyl and then sticking to Spotify for the rest.

Capon, cheers for mentioning that unit from IKEA, I was looking into getting some storage for them but some of the stuff out there is ridiculously expensive. That looks just the ticket!
No Worries mate. One thing though. Only the IKEA ones fit records in. So if ya buy second hand ones measure the insides. As similar ones by Argos an the likes of B&Q are that bit smaller from memory so double check. They might have upgraded but theyve always been too small

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #552 on: January 7, 2022, 10:11:52 pm »

I have the RP500m´s and they're brilliant, got them for £350 on an open box deal on Amazon. They're 93db efficient (or so klipsch say!) so I just pair them with a 25w-a-side Pro-ject S Box, loadsa headroom surprisingly.
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: January 7, 2022, 10:52:15 pm »
No Worries mate. One thing though. Only the IKEA ones fit records in. So if ya buy second hand ones measure the insides. As similar ones by Argos an the likes of B&Q are that bit smaller from memory so double check. They might have upgraded but theyve always been too small
nice one, will get them straight from IKEA!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: January 8, 2022, 12:56:51 am »
Just ordered a bunch of stuff

Depeche Mode
Beatles
Dire Straits
Sinatra
Taylor Swift
Ed Sheeran
ColdPlay
Adele

Not sure what to order next
Some Motown
« Last Edit: January 8, 2022, 12:59:11 am by nuts100 »

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: January 8, 2022, 11:03:42 pm »
Nice.Cost a few bob though,dont they!!

Just been looking at this one,by Once Anolog. £7000 with no arm  :o Nice though

Capon, did you ever buy this ? Bit of an old post

The Marantz i bought is a POS. So much feedback through the speakers. I bought an Evo Carbon and no issues as an interim. Plus it will go upstairs for the kids lounge

I finally get the Pro-ject back this week, it's been 20months since it went in to have the motor fixed

Going to trade them both in for an Acoustic Signature Double X NEO.

Listened to an AMG. Sounded great and they were going to knock 33% off as it was a demo. However they wouldn't do a trade in.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #556 on: January 8, 2022, 11:11:20 pm »
Just ordered a bunch of stuff

Depeche Mode
Beatles
Dire Straits
Sinatra
Taylor Swift
Ed Sheeran
ColdPlay
Adele

Not sure what to order next
Some Motown

If you've got a few bob to spare you could go for some Cameo Parkway, Okeh, Chess or other Norther Soul labels. ;D

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: January 8, 2022, 11:27:33 pm »
If you've got a few bob to spare you could go for some Cameo Parkway, Okeh, Chess or other Norther Soul labels. ;D

:o :D

I want to find an original Jimmy Ruffin - What becomes of the Broken Hearted
Probably the most beautiful haunting song ever sung, imho  ;D

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #558 on: January 9, 2022, 09:39:01 am »
Capon, did you ever buy this ? Bit of an old post

The Marantz i bought is a POS. So much feedback through the speakers. I bought an Evo Carbon and no issues as an interim. Plus it will go upstairs for the kids lounge

I finally get the Pro-ject back this week, it's been 20months since it went in to have the motor fixed

Going to trade them both in for an Acoustic Signature Double X NEO.

Listened to an AMG. Sounded great and they were going to knock 33% off as it was a demo. However they wouldn't do a trade in.
No mate. Just looking and admiring. Got no intention of ever spending anywhere near that on a turntable

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #559 on: January 9, 2022, 07:20:00 pm »
:o :D

I want to find an original Jimmy Ruffin - What becomes of the Broken Hearted
Probably the most beautiful haunting song ever sung, imho  ;D
That and Tears of a Clown my 2 fave tracks when i was a little kid. Mum used to have them on all the time. WBOTBH you can find easily on discogs. Ive still got the album its on my parents gave me they bought years ago