Author Topic: Reds sign Joe Cole  (Read 200533 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Re: Reds sign Joe Cole
« Reply #640 on: July 19, 2010, 04:55:36 pm »
SSN just confirmed that Cole is on his way to Switzerland!

Summer 2010 Transfer Forum / Re: A New Joe Cole Topic (*)
« on: Today at 12:24:36 PM »
My source says Joe cole expected at camp this afternoon!!

for all the doubters

Didn't Richie say he was already there?   ;)

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: July 19, 2010, 04:55:58 pm »
I didn't call you one. Though if you think the club are going to give a footballer any meaningful information on a £300m+ sale process (for him to text to his mates, tell his dad, etc)... I've never ended a post with 'burn' anyone. I'm quite restrained in the language I use for them - usually their names.

I've said already that I think this is a masterful (political) signing. It does enthuse the fans with renewed optimism - misplaced, IMO, not because of the financial situation but that Joe Cole is just Yossi Benayoun. We've not upgraded. It's not cost us a penny - though we don't have a £5m profit, either. It looks like an upgrade, but it isn't. Very clever. In football terms, meh.

totally disagree cole is a clear upgrade on Yossi. Nothing against yossi but he was never really a Liverpool player. A consistant season from Cole and he could be the absolute focal point of everything good we do going forward. He is very good in between the lines no?

Offline offthemark

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #642 on: July 19, 2010, 04:56:27 pm »
great signing! welcome to the club J. Cole. but it'd be weird to see him in red after seeing him in blues for god knows how long!

Offline Meako1977

• Legacy Fan
  • King of the Kop
« Reply #643 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:25 pm »
Am I the only one not that excited about this? It's good we have another creative player but I don't think he's the saviour you're all making him out to be. Sorry.

I get the feeling that if we had signed messi some would have found a reason to complain!
Born in Liverpool, raised a red, lived as a red and will die as a red. YNWA

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #644 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »
Nice to hear some decent news about the club for a change. Not that this changes anything off the pitch, but I'm delighted for Roy that he's landed a decent signing. And I've always liked Joe Cole, he's an honest player, a football fan, and I think he knows that he's coming to play for a special club.

Welcome Joe, someday soon we'll be watching you, and we'll be willing you to earn for yourself some those Anfield chants that you've heard a few times over the years :wave

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #645 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:35 pm »
great signing!
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:37 pm »
I just wish we could have signed him two years ago.  This signing is a major risk, no way around that.  BUT a majorly talented risk who when on his game can be as good as what any other team can produce. 

Offline mark27

• Anny Roader
  • Talking shite since 1981
« Reply #647 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:51 pm »
Fantastic signing, tought he'd join spurs for sure, Welcome Joe!
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »
having a medical in switzerland tomorrow apperantly, sky sports says he WILL get the number 7 shirt.. not sure about that one.
This isnt even our main signing of the day, we've got Sylvan Richardson the ex-simply red guitarist as our new masseur ;)

Offline gazza1976

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #649 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »
brilliant signing he a red now and hopefully run riot get in
JFT96 Y.N.W.A

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »
I just wish we could have signed him two years ago.  This signing is a major risk, no way around that.  BUT a majorly talented risk who when on his game can be as good as what any other team can produce. 
It's not a major risk.
psn = Lents123

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:29 pm »
Nice to hear some decent news about the club for a change. Not that this changes anything off the pitch, but I'm delighted for Roy that he's landed a decent signing. And I've always liked Joe Cole, he's an honest player, a football fan, and I think he knows that he's coming to play for a special club.

Welcome Joe, someday soon we'll be watching you, and we'll be willing you to earn for yourself some those Anfield chants that you've heard a few times over the years :wave

Exactly true for me about Joe Cole.

Offline JOYRO

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #652 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »
So Benayoun is gone and Riera on his way. One good and one decent player is shipped away and instead we've got quality in Jovanovic and Cole. It's a reshape of the whole of our left side. To be honest Insua and Benya didn't really set the world on fire. Even though I would've keept Insua.

Offline aggerman

• Anny Roader
  • We await the Coronation of King Kenny !
« Reply #653 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:32 pm »
You are not alone, my friend ... In fact, I am quite worried about the implications of this transfer ...

I have some concerns too.  It seems like these were Rafa/Macia's agreed targets.  Now that Roy has come in and doesn;t seem to have any input on transfer dealings.  They may not all fit into Roy's preferred team set up.
John the milkman on Rafa:

“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline JHova2427

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: July 19, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »
Absolutely made up! If Gerrard and Torres stay, I would have no doubt we'd reach the top four with additions of Cole and Jovanovic in place of Riera and Benayoun.

Need a left-back though..

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #656 on: July 19, 2010, 05:00:33 pm »
Am I the only one not that excited about this? It's good we have another creative player but I don't think he's the saviour you're all making him out to be. Sorry.

Perhaps it’s more of a sad sign of where we have fallen to but I’m just pleasantly surprised that whatever people’s opinions of him, a big name in the English game has chosen us ahead of the ‘safer’ options of the London clubs. If money was the primary factor then he’s a mercenary (but our mercenary!), if he moved for the challenge and the prospect of more regular football then fair play to him.

He’s not a saviour but if he takes the place of Riera or Babel in the squad then it’s not bad business.

I’m personally resigned to Masch leaving but if that’s as bad as it gets this window (massive IF I know) then I’ll be happier than I thought I’d be come August.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: July 19, 2010, 05:00:34 pm »
It's going to be nice to have a bit of depth in attack.  The options we have are great. 

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #658 on: July 19, 2010, 05:00:38 pm »

no, you're not. he's a very good player, potentially a very good signing. but the reaction is a little over the top. there are question marks over his fitness, over the implications of what paying him £90,000 per week means for strength/depth of rest of squad (and don't be naive enough to think that wasn't a major factor in his decision) and if it was such a major coup, then why didn't chelsea just keep him?

it should be a positive development, but let's keep perspective.

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: July 19, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »
Im just thinking that this could be an ok season. If the c*nts want to sell, especially for a ridiculous price, or even just for a profit, they will have to lay some sort of foundation for the future (no pun intended), meaning bringing in some quality players, so the future of the club looks promising for the new owners & the new owners won't have to shell out like man City. If ther's no decent prospect for the club, no one is going to touch us with a barge pole. I'll be very suprised if we don't sign another quality player or 2 to be honest. We have to be seen as stone wall guarantee or at least 75% CL team. Without Torres, Gerrard, Cole & co the club is back to square one. Meaning alot less valued, which the inbreds clearly wouldn't settle for.

Im looking at this signing as very good things to come for the next season. I mean Hodgson on a 3 year. Cole on a 4 year, Remy (potentially) on a 4/5 year and then a LB who's surely not going to be any older than 28 on a 3/4 year.
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:02 pm »
Absolutely worth the gamble; the potential upside is very nice to this deal. Can't wait to see him play, other than an appearance at the WC, it seems like it's been ages since I've seen him kick a ball.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #661 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:20 pm »
I get the feeling that if we had signed messi some would have found a reason to complain!

well obviously!

think of his wage demands!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #662 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
Agree with you heelsy, I think Maxi should be our RW at all times, he was brilliant at knitting the team together as you say at the end of last season, just for his beautiful one touch play and movement and always being available for a pass
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
who said he was the saviour? its a massive coup for us and people are happy with it

A fair few seem to think he's as big as when Torres signed. Not for me. He's a decent left-winger and will automatically become our best, but if he moves centrally (to replace Gerrard or Aquilani?) then I'm not sure. He'll improve the team/squad definitely but it's not a game-changing signing.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »

Reina

2                                    23                       5
Johnson                         Carragher            Agger                 (New L.B?)

17                                      8                       21                       7     
Maxi                              Gerrard (C)           Lucas                 J.Cole

Aquilani
                                                                 Torres

Would love to see that lineup going into the season, obviously with an addition of a decent left-back. Whether thats the side Roy selects on a regular basis or not, only time will tell. Can't see the likes of Kuyt and Jovanovic being left out of the side on a regular basis mind.

Liking that line up, alot of people have been excluding Maxi and I have to say I thought he was great by the end of the season, I hope we keep the players needed, cause for me that's a very strong line up

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: July 19, 2010, 05:03:02 pm »
Thank fuck to have some good news, this must be the first real positive to come out of our club in the best part of 6 months?
Ain't going to worry about injury records or left backs leaving, just going to enjoy being a Liverpool supporter for a few hours, cause I ain't done that in a while.
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline shaunodynwa96

• Main Stander
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers!!!
« Reply #666 on: July 19, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »
I really hope joe cole has the season of his life this year and benayoun does shit as fuck.

that would be funny
At the end of the storm, there's a golden sky...
PSN - lfcshaunod

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:01 pm »
How not?
No transfer fee, if he's not fit, or has underlying problems our new Doc will spot them since according to some he's basically a step down from God. I just don't see him as a major risk, if he doesn't come off someone will give us 8-10m for him but a player of Cole's ability is not going to fail (hopefully ;) )
He's immeasurably better than Riera, not a total c*nt like Riera and just loves playing the game. He plays like a kid in the playground at times, with a massive smile on his face, and no worries.
psn = Lents123

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:01 pm »

Not really.

Offline Meako1977

• Legacy Fan
  • King of the Kop
« Reply #669 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:08 pm »
I have some concerns too.  It seems like these were Rafa/Macia's agreed targets.  Now that Roy has come in and doesn;t seem to have any input on transfer dealings.  They may not all fit into Roy's preferred team set up.

How is he rafas signing? Up until when he left it was widely expected he would sign a new contract with chelsea. Fuck me give credit where credit is due and we might have actually pulled off a major signing with the new management structure

Offline Kakerdis

• Anny Roader
« Reply #670 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:32 pm »
Good..Goooood.  :wave

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #671 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:45 pm »
Agreed.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline RedSapient157

• Boys Pen
« Reply #672 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »
Cheers for that MKB, is that tune a 'you are not alone' - calvin harris remix?

I'm Not Alone (Deadmau5 Remix) - Calvin Harris

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: July 19, 2010, 05:06:26 pm »
I really hope joe cole has the season of his life this year and benayoun does shit as fuck.

that would be funny

Amen to that.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Meako1977

• Legacy Fan
  • King of the Kop
« Reply #674 on: July 19, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »
well obviously!

think of his wage demands!

You missed out to small and he is a greedy fucker!

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: July 19, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »
r
Whoever comes in, I hope Maxi Rodriguez is still the first choice right midfielder. With players like Cole, Torres, Gerrard, Jovanovic and Kuyt, we need someone who can knit these players together in the attacking third of the pitch and there appear to be very few better than Rodriguez.

Really good call. We actually have a few good intelligent footballers at the club now, pass and move may actually be a real possibilty. Maxi is an excellent one and two touch player, as are Aqualani and now Cole, Gerrard can play in what ever style h feels like(he is that good) and if Masch leaves we may actually get to see more of the simple and subtle short game that Lucas has to offer. Dont know very much about Jokanovic, but from what i saw at the world cup he is pretty good. Tica-taca football maybe a reality if roy can get them at it, and above all HOLD HIS NERVE.

IS Torres a pass and move short game Striker though?

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #676 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07:10 pm »
Can imagine all the taxi drivers around Liverpool having mixed thoughts about this ;)
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07:41 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool, Joe.  In the past, I never liked him because he would always nick a winning goal against us, but now he will be on our side.  Might just be a positive step on the Torres & Gerrard situation as well. Hope he has a successful & healthy year ahead of him.  Now, we need to remedy the left back mess.
"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline JHova2427

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »
No transfer fee, if he's not fit, or has underlying problems our new Doc will spot them since according to some he's basically a step down from God. I just don't see him as a major risk, if he doesn't come off someone will give us 8-10m for him but a player of Cole's ability is not going to fail (hopefully ;) )
He's immeasurably better than Riera, not a total c*nt like Riera and just loves playing the game. He plays like a kid in the playground at times, with a massive smile on his face, and no worries.

When saying a major risk, the risk is that we could see him in around ten games the whole season.

About ability, we haven't necessarily seen him at his best for a while.  I really like his game and the way he goes about it.  I feel like we could have really used him for the past couple of years.   He is another Aquilani and Maxi sort that can see the runs and passing lanes that others will never see. 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #679 on: July 19, 2010, 05:08:32 pm »
Not sure I really get these 'fan formations' with him on the left?

What's that all about then?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.