Author Topic: Amsterdam  (Read 72587 times)

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
Re: Amsterdam
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2019, 10:56:54 am »
Hello everybody, any advice about where to watch today's match in Amsterdam?  ;D I read about few places here and there but wanted your advice!!

Cheers to you all!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2019, 11:04:27 am »
Hello everybody, any advice about where to watch today's match in Amsterdam?  ;D I read about few places here and there but wanted your advice!!

Cheers to you all!

O'Reilly's, i watched a game there last month, decent pub

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2019, 11:26:02 am »
O'Reilly's, i watched a game there last month, decent pub

Thanks a lot mate !!

Any fellow Liverpool fans in there?:)

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #483 on: December 29, 2019, 11:36:52 am »
Thanks a lot mate !!

there should be a few, I'm sure the owner is a red

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #484 on: January 6, 2020, 01:24:30 am »
Thanks a lot mate !!

did you go?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: March 9, 2020, 12:26:50 pm »
I’m here now until Thursday. Any decent gaffs to watch the match on Wednesday?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Travel Advice for Amsterdam please?
« Reply #486 on: May 7, 2022, 08:54:10 pm »
I'm a shit traveller. I get stressed really easily, and airports suck. This will be the first time I've been away since Paris 2019 (irony!) and that was my worst trip abroad, ever. I vowed never to do this to myself again, but hey ho, here we are!

This is the first time I've visited the same place a second time, but that was in 2004. Amsterdam was my first ever trip abroad, but honestly I haven't done a shred of research on what to do and have no clue where to go (no red light district gags, please!). None of the museums are really jumping out at me (I'm really not that fussed on Van Gough, and I'm not sure I need to visit Ann Frank's house twice?). Maybe their main museum, and the science museum. I miss the days of just being able to walk into a place - everything now is book in fucking advance and it's just so annoying and stressful for me. It's like being a kid with an exam coming up and you've not done any revision. Going on a holiday shouldn't be such a stress burger.

I don't mind just wandering the streets and parks and sitting in coffee shops and doodling (which I can do just about anywhere lol), but if anybody has any tips on places to visit and how easy they are to get to, I'm all ears. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Travel Advice for Amsterdam please?
« Reply #487 on: May 7, 2022, 11:19:13 pm »
My first ever trip abroad was also Amsterdam, city break, that was back in 1997. Went with an ex and we went to this big museum in the middle, think it was the Rijksmuseum, from what I remember that was really good.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #488 on: May 8, 2022, 10:18:58 am »
Well that depends on what you want from the trip mate, and if you’re sampling the local weed or not.

The Rijksmusem is… interesting, to an extent. For someone like me who’s not massively into baroque and renaissance art, or the Dutch Masters, that bit was a box ticking exercise. The pan-Asian stuff is great though and there’s some interesting individual pieces on display.

It’s a shame you don’t like Van Gogh, he’s one of my favourites and the VG Experience is as stunning a museum as you can visit. Even if you’re not massively into his art, I genuinely believe it worth a visit and you’ll leave with at least some form of appreciation for him and his craft.

If you drink or if brewing is of interest to you, the Heineken experience is inexpensive and interesting, with some insight into the brewing process and the history of the place. Also worth saying drink is expensive and you get two pints in with your admission fee, which is roughly the same price as two pints in a bar on Liedseplein or Rembrandt Square.

Volendam and Danse Schans are worthy day trips out of the city and the free walking tour is great for history buffs, though it does take in the red light district if you were wanting to avoid there.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #489 on: May 8, 2022, 10:23:06 am »
The science museum is fantastic if you’ve got kids….but it’s not so much for adults.

The Rijksmuseum is really good, the night watch is one of the orders of the world.  And Van Gough? I wasn’t that fussed, then I saw one in real life there and they are magical.  A 3D quality. It just looks different IRL

The museum of Amsterdam is excellent too, tells you about the history of the city and has lots of interesting bits.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #490 on: May 8, 2022, 10:47:11 am »
We did a cheese and wine tasting session one afternoon, also a boat trip around the canals is pleasant and relaxing way to see a fair bit of the city. Haven’t been for a few years but imagine they’re both still possible and there are various companies offering them.

Actually going back this September to go to the Dutch Grand Prix.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #491 on: May 8, 2022, 11:12:52 am »
We did the Johan Cruijff stadium tour, that was good.

I just liked having a wander round the city and sitting off in vondelpark and that.

Heineken museum is decent as well.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: May 8, 2022, 12:03:11 pm »
We did the Johan Cruijff stadium tour, that was good.

I just liked having a wander round the city and sitting off in vondelpark and that.

Heineken museum is decent as well.
Yes, they are all good too. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: May 8, 2022, 12:25:24 pm »
I did the Heineken museum way back in 2006 and enjoyed.

I was there as a 19 year old primarily for the weed so didn't do VG or the Rijksmuseum.  ;D

4 high as fuck teenagers on a pedal boat navigating the canals and canal boats was an experience....

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: May 8, 2022, 12:50:12 pm »
The science museum is fantastic if you’ve got kids….but it’s not so much for adults.

The Rijksmuseum is really good, the night watch is one of the orders of the world.  And Van Gough? I wasn’t that fussed, then I saw one in real life there and they are magical.  A 3D quality. It just looks different IRL

The museum of Amsterdam is excellent too, tells you about the history of the city and has lots of interesting bits.

Pretty sure we did that one too, that was good.

One of the best bits of the trip was me and her were sitting outside this bar in the sun, the owner was outside with a group and a Police fan pulls up, coppers get out, few words and then they arrest the owner. I'd clocked one of the group nip into the bar and I said to her "watch this". Van pulls away and the fella comes back out pissing himself laughing, it was a wind up. Police van comes back about a minute later and drops the owner off :lmao
Jurgen YNWA

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #495 on: May 8, 2022, 01:38:47 pm »
Am going again next month, have lost count of how many times I have been there now, it’s somewhere between 10 and 12 I think.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: May 8, 2022, 03:03:38 pm »
Well I'm definitely not going for the weed. ;D

I didn't realise they had a zoo, so might pop there. I just hate the thought of booking anything in advance. I did that in Paris and I ended up just wearing myself out trying to be and such a place for such a time slot. I'd much rather freestyle and just do what takes my fancy.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #497 on: May 8, 2022, 05:20:13 pm »
Another thumbs up for Vondelpark. Lovely area when the sun's out.

Also the city of Leiden is only about 40 minutes south. University town, like Amsterdam in miniature, but less hectic and far less tourists. A chilled out place.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: May 8, 2022, 05:52:42 pm »
Well I'm definitely not going for the weed. ;D

I have done all the typical tourist things, but the weed is the only reason I really go. I don’t smoke at home as I know too many people who have let it take over their lives where it’s all they do and talk about so I strictly keep it a holiday activity.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: May 8, 2022, 08:31:49 pm »
I have done all the typical tourist things, but the weed is the only reason I really go. I don’t smoke at home as I know too many people who have let it take over their lives where it’s all they do and talk about so I strictly keep it a holiday activity.

Each to their own mate. I'm certainly not judging. I've have it more than once over the years and I certainly agree with you on how it can take over people's lives. Mate of mine was in hospital for ten days at the start of the year for overuse. Fucked up their digestive system. Everything in moderation!

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #500 on: May 8, 2022, 08:58:52 pm »
I'm a shit traveller. I get stressed really easily, and airports suck. This will be the first time I've been away since Paris 2019 (irony!) and that was my worst trip abroad, ever. I vowed never to do this to myself again, but hey ho, here we are!

This is the first time I've visited the same place a second time, but that was in 2004. Amsterdam was my first ever trip abroad, but honestly I haven't done a shred of research on what to do and have no clue where to go (no red light district gags, please!). None of the museums are really jumping out at me (I'm really not that fussed on Van Gough, and I'm not sure I need to visit Ann Frank's house twice?). Maybe their main museum, and the science museum. I miss the days of just being able to walk into a place - everything now is book in fucking advance and it's just so annoying and stressful for me. It's like being a kid with an exam coming up and you've not done any revision. Going on a holiday shouldn't be such a stress burger.

I don't mind just wandering the streets and parks and sitting in coffee shops and doodling (which I can do just about anywhere lol), but if anybody has any tips on places to visit and how easy they are to get to, I'm all ears. :)
Each to their own mate. I'm certainly not judging. I've have it more than once over the years and I certainly agree with you on how it can take over people's lives. Mate of mine was in hospital for ten days at the start of the year for overuse. Fucked up their digestive system. Everything in moderation!

When you in Dam?..I can give you some tips..or pm me.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2022, 09:34:20 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: May 8, 2022, 11:26:31 pm »
When you in Dam?..I can give you some tips..or pm me.

19th to 23rd mate. Just three full days. I've decided against booking any museums or galleries in advance because I just find it stressful having to be at a certain place by a certain time. I hate planning and it really messed up my Paris trip. I'd rather just walk the streets, explore parks and cafes, and maybe see if I can book a museum on the day or pay on the door. :)

I'm staying at the Nadia hotel, which is close to Ann Frank's house.

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: May 8, 2022, 11:37:37 pm »
You will be lucky to get into Ann Franks house without booking ..and the Van Gough museum …

So might be with looking at that…. 

It’s a really nice city just to mooch round though
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: May 9, 2022, 11:51:18 am »
You will be lucky to get into Ann Franks house without booking ..and the Van Gough museum …

So might be with looking at that…. 

It’s a really nice city just to mooch round though

Yeah, the queues in to the Ann Frank house are crazy long, and so definitely worth booking in advance to get a slot and I’d also think about when you go during your trip and what your planning on doing afterwards as its quite hard to mentally process afterwards I found.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: May 9, 2022, 07:54:32 pm »
19th to 23rd mate. Just three full days. I've decided against booking any museums or galleries in advance because I just find it stressful having to be at a certain place by a certain time. I hate planning and it really messed up my Paris trip. I'd rather just walk the streets, explore parks and cafes, and maybe see if I can book a museum on the day or pay on the door. :)

I'm staying at the Nadia hotel, which is close to Ann Frank's house.

You approach is right , just walk the streets and canal banks and get the vibe, for a Capital City there's not many big iconic buildings....the vibe of the City is its appeal.

You've got a good central location for your hotel, also near the Jordaan area which is nice ( narrow street used to be poor area now hip obv!)

Never saw the appeal of Anne Frank House but each to their own,

The world press photo expo is nearby , I go every year , really impressive and sometimes moving stuff : https://www.nieuwekerk.nl/en/exhibitions/world-press-photo-exhibition-2022/

You mentioned the zoo ( Artis) ...I have mixed feelings about Zoo's but this place is great..really impressive art deco'ish buildings....recommended...as is that area...really relaxed atmosphere and so close to the City center.

down side is the tourists are back in force ( you!!!) center will be packed...but if you make an effort its easy to avoid crowds they tend to herd.

As for night life...well depends what your after....*ínsert obvious jokes here*

Theres loads of other stuff feel free to ask.

Oh yeah on practical advice get a weekend travel card from Schiphol ...pays for train to and from Centraal and trams (great way for getting around)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: May 9, 2022, 08:04:56 pm »

You approach is right , just walk the streets and canal banks and get the vibe, for a Capital City there's not many big iconic buildings....the vibe of the City is its appeal.

You've got a good central location for your hotel, also near the Jordaan area which is nice ( narrow street used to be poor area now hip obv!)

Never saw the appeal of Anne Frank House but each to their own,

The world press photo expo is nearby , I go every year , really impressive and sometimes moving stuff : https://www.nieuwekerk.nl/en/exhibitions/world-press-photo-exhibition-2022/

You mentioned the zoo ( Artis) ...I have mixed feelings about Zoo's but this place is great..really impressive art deco'ish buildings....recommended...as is that area...really relaxed atmosphere and so close to the City center.

down side is the tourists are back in force ( you!!!) center will be packed...but if you make an effort its easy to avoid crowds they tend to herd.

As for night life...well depends what your after....*ínsert obvious jokes here*

Theres loads of other stuff feel free to ask.

Oh yeah on practical advice get a weekend travel card from Schiphol ...pays for train to and from Centraal and trams (great way for getting around)

I've been to Anne Frank's house before. It's a bit like Auschwitz, really; you go to pay your respects rather than an act of tourism. And the first time I stayed it was in the Jordaan area, stayed in a Christian hostel, €12.50 euros a night. Ah those were the days. I just spent £199.52 to get just €225 euros. Bloody hell.

Still trying to sort travel insurance. My usual go to is Freedom insurance as they cover pre-existing mental health conditions, but they seem to be switching underwriters so they're not available. Their website linked me to a place called OK!, but it clearly wasn't as they knocked me back.  :-X

As for trains/trams, I'm already looking at this site https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/by-train-from-schiphol/

I'm there for three full days, arriving Thursday and leaving Monday, so I'd need more than a weekend ticket. It's probably too late to order one for delivery, but the website says I can buy one at the airport. Thanks! :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: May 9, 2022, 08:06:47 pm »
Just to add, a friend of mine recently went to Amsterdam as well. She told me the only place she booked was Anne Frank's house. Judging from her photos, apart from the zoo she also went to several museums. If she's not booking those in advance then that's a positive sign.

Popcorn's Art

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: May 9, 2022, 08:18:24 pm »
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/gvb-reis-app/id1544439867

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ns-travel-planner/id370362301

These are the two apps I’ve downloaded ahead of our trip to use for travel tickets and planning. The GVB one has a 96 hour ticket for €25.50 for trams, buses etc.

The NS one is for trains.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: May 9, 2022, 08:20:16 pm »
The public transport is insane. It’s so good.
W

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: May 9, 2022, 08:20:37 pm »
There's a Dutch Jewish museum's near Artis.tells a more graphic and less heroic story of how Jews treated in NL during the war

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: May 9, 2022, 08:25:48 pm »
The public transport is insane. It’s so good.

it is....plus you can cycle everywhere so fucking easy..well  I say that  now...took me a while get used to it. cycling in Dam not like in UK.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: May 9, 2022, 08:27:58 pm »
You can buy tkts at train tkt office in main  concourse in schipol dead easy

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: May 9, 2022, 09:05:50 pm »
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/gvb-reis-app/id1544439867

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ns-travel-planner/id370362301

These are the two apps I’ve downloaded ahead of our trip to use for travel tickets and planning. The GVB one has a 96 hour ticket for €25.50 for trams, buses etc.

The NS one is for trains.

Cheers mate, I'm on android though!

to be honest, I hate getting apps that I know I'll barely use, even if I know I can uninstall them after I'm done. I think it's a mild OCD quirk of mine. Don't even have the Easyjet app on my phone >.>  I guess it's something I should look into though

Popcorn's Art

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: May 9, 2022, 09:19:17 pm »
Cheers mate, I'm on android though!

to be honest, I hate getting apps that I know I'll barely use, even if I know I can uninstall them after I'm done. I think it's a mild OCD quirk of mine. Don't even have the Easyjet app on my phone >.>  I guess it's something I should look into though

They do the same app on Android but if you don’t really use them no worries, I just found it easier these days then having to buy paper tickets

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: May 10, 2022, 09:59:36 am »
I just spent £199.52 to get just €225 euros. Bloody hell.

Admittingly I've only been for a couple of hours when transferring between flight and trains, but a lot of places seem to be card only now.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: May 10, 2022, 10:35:51 am »
Would love to live there. I've been about 15 times and can't get enough of it.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: May 10, 2022, 10:48:40 am »
Would love to live there. I've been about 15 times and can't get enough of it.

I do and can confirm its ace.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: May 10, 2022, 11:41:46 am »
I do and can confirm its ace.

Is it a long process to move there at all? Granted you probably done it before this Brexit shite came about!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: May 11, 2022, 01:03:45 pm »
Admittingly I've only been for a couple of hours when transferring between flight and trains, but a lot of places seem to be card only now.

That's what I'm hoping for. I wasn't planning on taking a lot of cash - just basic expenses and the like.

Amsterdam is probably an amazing place to live. A part of me definitely longs to fuck off out of the clusterfuck that is the UK, but at my age and stuck on ESA I'm basically trapped.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #519 on: May 13, 2022, 02:19:31 pm »
Can you still go and do magic truffles and get stoned and chat to the prozzies about the tedium of stag nights

Not sure I need a THIRD time in the Dam but then I last went in the before-time

I think living there would be cool if me music production and remote job are permitted. More on those later I suspect (Ahhh secrets are fun)