Author Topic: Amsterdam  (Read 73319 times)

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Amsterdam
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2013, 09:58:12 am »
Sent you a PM mate.

Nice one mate. :) :wave

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2013, 01:44:45 pm »
I only buy my weed from 3 places when I go. Barneys, Amensia & Grey Area. Where the hell are you finding good weed at 8 euros? The isolator is some magic stuff!

Barneys! That takes me back; I used to live next to Barneys (well, the coffee shop one).

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #242 on: September 7, 2013, 11:18:17 pm »
Thinking about booking a weekend over soon enough with a few of the lads. Anyone able to recommend a place to stay thats close to the city centre?

Thanks!

Online TheFooFighter

• Kopite
  • Where's the gin
« Reply #243 on: September 7, 2013, 11:22:37 pm »
Thinking about booking a weekend over soon enough with a few of the lads. Anyone able to recommend a place to stay thats close to the city centre?

Thanks!

I cant recommend the Winston hostel high enough, right on the outskirts of the red light, cracking bar/nightclub attached to the hostel, great food plus you get a 30% discount for staying there on food as well. Decent prices as well considering I have paid more to stay in hostels out there and not even close to being as nice as this place.

http://www.winston.nl/

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #244 on: September 7, 2013, 11:51:11 pm »
Barneys! That takes me back; I used to live next to Barneys (well, the coffee shop one).
We ended up hitting Barney's (think it's on Haarlemmerstraat?) a few times. Definitely one I'd recommend. The bigger chain ones like Bulldog seemed a lot poorer, to be honest.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #245 on: September 8, 2013, 11:14:31 am »
I cant recommend the Winston hostel high enough, right on the outskirts of the red light, cracking bar/nightclub attached to the hostel, great food plus you get a 30% discount for staying there on food as well. Decent prices as well considering I have paid more to stay in hostels out there and not even close to being as nice as this place.

http://www.winston.nl/

Thanks mate! Will have a look into this now  ;)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #246 on: September 8, 2013, 03:33:37 pm »
We stayed at the Flying Pig Uptown, and whilst it was in a decent location and nice enough for a hostel, it was really very pricey, to the extent where it probably wasn't worth it. In fact, we were charged more upon arrival than was advertised on their website, which was an unexpected and unwanted surprise. I'm not sure what the law was surrounding this, but we paid a 10% deposit on a fee, then the fee had changed when we arrived.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #247 on: September 9, 2013, 01:22:05 pm »
There's about 7 couples going over in March for my 40th, I've never been before, any advice on places to stay? Preferably somewhere we can stay as a group. Doesn't have to be too fancy, but don't want a shithole either. Ta.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 9, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »
I though this was OK http://www.rhohotel.com/ but it was ages ago when I last went. It is in a good spot right by Dam Square.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #249 on: September 9, 2013, 04:40:53 pm »
We ended up hitting Barney's (think it's on Haarlemmerstraat?) a few times. Definitely one I'd recommend. The bigger chain ones like Bulldog seemed a lot poorer, to be honest.

Yup, that's the one. I lived on Haarlemmerstraat. Awesome place.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #250 on: September 9, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »
There's about 7 couples going over in March for my 40th, I've never been before, any advice on places to stay? Preferably somewhere we can stay as a group. Doesn't have to be too fancy, but don't want a shithole either. Ta.

This place is Cheap and cheerful and still going strong I believe (It was my go-to between 2003 and 2009), Breakfast is boss and the location is amazing. In my experience if you want more up market than this place it will cost a lot more.

I like the nova hotel (NB not the Novotel  which is miles out!).

http://www.novahotel.nl/

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 9, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
I stayed in the Novotel ^^^, not 3 weeks ago. Daily shuttle to Airport and train into city.
Timed it. Never took longer than 35 minutes in and back.
Of course if your planning late nights...not so good.
But it was very easily accessable.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #252 on: September 12, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »
Anyone got any more recent hotel recommendations? Novotel too far out.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »
^ NOVA  hotel mate

just off dam.

Unless you go high end,  you can't beat the Kras for location in the square

Or if you want to go high end the Intercontinental on the Amstel or
http://www.leurope.nl/ which is very old school & was owned by Heineken, a real experience.
I haven't stayed there but I believe the Dylan is boss.
And  finally it's not as far out as the NOVO but still a brisk 25 minute hike to the Hilton if you want your own John & Yoko love in.

What's your plan? Ajax?  Rijksmuseum?  My own favorite would be the Van Gogh museum which is amazing. Have a smoke / few pints before putti g on the headphones and listening to his descent into madness. It's very fast-show (BLACK). you'll love it.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #254 on: September 12, 2013, 04:46:47 pm »
^ NOVA  hotel mate

just off dam.

Sorry, Kav, should have said I looked at that already and no availability for my dates.

And no, we don't want luxury. I don't mind but the wife gets freaked out by 5 stars!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #255 on: October 9, 2013, 03:23:57 pm »
Eventually got a nice little 3 star in the Museum Quarter.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g188590-d2095235-Reviews-Hotel_JL_No76-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Now, me and the wife are middle aged. This place might not have suited us back when we were last there, and younger, but the Museum Quarter is very nice, very quiet. Mind you, I walked to Leidseplein in ten minutes, no sweat.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #256 on: October 9, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »
Also, we rented bikes, which was awesome. I thought we might be too old/stupid but within ten minutes, we were zipping along among trams, scooters, buses and cars. The cycling lanes are brilliant and well respected and it's a great way to get around.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #257 on: November 5, 2013, 02:51:25 pm »
If there are any questions you have anyway about Amsterdam throw a PM my way ;)
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #258 on: November 5, 2013, 07:41:08 pm »
If there are any questions you have anyway about Amsterdam throw a PM my way ;)

yes , here's a question for you DutchRed................................Will there be riots in Amsterdam this year over Zwarte Peit...its getting heated!!?

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #259 on: November 7, 2013, 09:09:19 am »
yes , here's a question for you DutchRed................................Will there be riots in Amsterdam this year over Zwarte Peit...its getting heated!!?

I don't think so.

Just to explain this phenomenon a bit because outsiders might find it a little odd.

Your Santa Claus tradition is based on the Dutch worship of our Sint Nicolaas(Saint Nicolas). It's the same idea, a big man with a big, white beard who pops up in December(albeit the 5th rather than the 25th) to give children the day of their years. This part of it is rather innocent.

The part that isn't innocent is, indeed, about Zwarte Piet(Black Pete). Sint Nicolaas is pretty much always accompanied by one or multiple Zwarte Pieten, who are, like you would expect, black. The official explanation is that they are black because they have to climb through the chimneys in order to deliver presents in houses.  But that is obviously rubbish, more so because that doesn't explain their thick lips and Afro haircuts.

A saint assisted by a couple of black guys dressed like, you could say, idiots, obviously has more than a slight hint of colonial racism about it. Moreover because, until like 1960, he was made out to be a silly man who didn't talk properly. All of that never caused a fuss because, essentially, until the 1970s we didn't really have black people(or any people with non-Dutch origin, barring a slight amount of Indonesians) in the Dutch society anyway.

In and from 1975, lots of people from Suriname, a former Dutch colony with a huge amount of former slaves among them, came over here. So obviously you'd expect trouble for our lovely little tradition.

Amazingly: there wasn't. It worked two ways.  Black Pete obviously remained black, but wasn't made out to be a stupid idiot anymore. To this day, he still is dressed like a slave though. Yet the kids from Suriname, Turkey, Morocco and all the countries from which people migrated to the Netherlands seem to love him. Basically we celebrated a rather racist party and everybody seemed to love it. Everybody just got along. So in the end we had a party that was racist from the outside, but it wasn't racist in spirit at all. Nobody ever protested against this so we had a rather bizarre party, but the times that blacks were looked upon as 'second-rate citizens' was long gone.

Now a couple of people are causing a huge fuss about the racism and a UN person has told the Dutch to stop celebrating this party because it's racist. Yet the overwhelming majority of the population(no matter which descent) still is in favour of upholding this tradition, so I don't see real, real trouble.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: November 7, 2013, 10:05:06 am »
^ I think when you're brought up with blacking up at Christmas it can seem normal (even for non- whites)
When you're not brought up in the Dutch world it's easy to recognize the whole performance as a racist anachronism.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: November 7, 2013, 10:09:02 am »
Amsterdam has decided to solve the Zwarte Piet controversy by removing his earrings. The blackface, afro hair and exaggerated lips remain but the earrings go.

Zwarte Piet loses his gold earrings

Wednesday 06 November 2013

The 600 Zwarte Piets accompanying Sinterklaas in his procession through Amsterdam this year will not be wearing the traditional golden earrings, the Parool said on Wednesday.

The move comes after protests to the city council coordinated by artist and activist Quinsy Gario, who says the Zwarte Piet character is insulting and discriminatory.

His remarks led to a widespread discussion of the Sinterklaas tradition, and in particular of whether his servant Zwarte Piet was a suitable character for the 21st century.

Zwarte Piet - or Black Pete - is usually played by a white person in blackface, a curly wig and large hoop earrings.

Emotional

The city council's events licencing committee has decided this year's procession will go ahead but without the earrings, Parool reports.

'There is an emotional discussion,' a committee spokesman, who asked to remain anonymous because of the intensity of the debate, told the paper. 'Some are very happy with Zwarte Piet, others are less happy. It is not a simple discussion, but one with nuances.' he said.

He was speaking to a gathering of hundreds of people who will be playing Piet. They included people from Suriname, the Antilles and Morocco and were mainly between 12 and 20 years old.

Sinterklaas makes his entrance into Amsterdam on November 17.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/11/zwarte_piet_loses_his_golden_e.php

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: November 7, 2013, 10:13:19 am »
^ I think when you're brought up with blacking up at Christmas it can seem normal (even for non- whites)
When you're not brought up in the Dutch world it's easy to recognize the whole performance as a racist anachronism.

It is shocking when you see it for the first time but for the locals it does seem to be normalised. They seem much more bothered about maintaining tradition than looking extremely backward to the rest of the world.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #263 on: November 7, 2013, 10:16:19 am »

Pretty much that's it. The woman from the U.N. just doesn't 'understand' this thing and she can't be expected to either. It's just one of those things that come with being a Dutchman and I can't really say I see any harm in it. Over here in Amsterdam people of all sorts live together and nobody ever made a fuss of it. The racist elements in the play don't really encourage or stimulate any racism, I'd say.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #264 on: November 7, 2013, 10:19:10 am »
It is shocking when you see it for the first time but for the locals it does seem to be normalised. They seem much more bothered about maintaining tradition than looking extremely backward to the rest of the world.

Yeah, it's becoming a point of principle more than anything else over here. There is a sense of 'who are the UN to tell us what to do?'. A Facebook page calling for the party to be continued in the same way hit 2 million likes in three days and for I know a significant number of them don't bother with Black Pete at all and couldn't care whether he was Black, Yellow, Purple or non-existent. They just don't like being told what (not) to do.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: November 7, 2013, 08:46:59 pm »
I may have hijacked this thread - mods can this be moved to a 'Zwarte Piet' thread?

The point is a lot of Dutch are defending their own cozy fuzzy Sintaklass memories  and wish to have the same for a kids....but its based on a tradition of something that was a racist premis in the first place.

It reminds me of the Robinson Jam 'Gollywog'...or the 'Black and White Minstrel show'..a 'tradition' in this country up to '80's when it became clear it was wholly unacceptable in a modern society....if Facebook had been around then it would have received 2 million hits saying its our traditon etc....wrong! wrong wrong!....it is based on a condescending racist premis that has no place anymore...

« Last Edit: November 7, 2013, 08:51:53 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #266 on: November 7, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
Look: it is unacceptable when you look at it first time. I appreciate that.

And personally: I wouldn't give a toss whether or not Black Pete will be Purple Pete, Rainbow Pete or non-existent altogether this year.

But I don't see the harm in this ANYMORE. We had a stupid, black guy speaking poorly who was indeed showing slave-like features. The slave features are still there, but Zwarte Piet has evolved into an acceptable creature for pretty much everyone. And yes: he still looks like a slave. But no: people aren't making a big deal out of it.

I was raised in Amsterdam, a city with almost 200 nationalities. My primary school had so many cultural diversities. And each and every one of us celebrated, loved and adored the Sinterklaas party. The Sinterklaas party is celebrated all over the town. Even in the Bijlmer district, where pretty much everyone is black, it's a big party. The racist spirit of the party has long gone. As has the hurt of the slavery for a lot of people over here.

The premis is racist, but the party isn't. There are people who dress up like black guys with thick lips and earrings, but the spirit, which for me is crucial, is unblemished. It's just a party with some element which would have hurt in earlier times. And all Dutch kids love it. Over 40 years of multi-cultural society never saw the end of this tradition and I really don't see the harm. I don't know how I could see the harm when the people who could be rightfully offended by the tradition aren't seeing it.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: November 7, 2013, 09:12:47 pm »
So what your saying is, if enough people like a racist idea, its ok?

I appreciate the pain of giving up a childhood memory and one you would want for your own kids...and finding justification for it though popularity....but it doesn't stack up.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2013, 09:17:04 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #268 on: November 7, 2013, 09:24:55 pm »
So what your saying is, if enough people like a racist idea, its ok?

I appreciate the pain of giving up a childhood memory and one you would want for your own kids...and finding justification for it though popularity....but it doesn't stack up.

How racist is something that isn't considered offensive by anybody?

They are dressed like idiots. That is racist. But for me the problem isn't the racism itself, it's that racism offends people. That's where the problem is: in harming other people.

We're not allowed to compare black people to monkeys because black people think, rightfully, that it's offensive. We're not allowed to give Nazi salutes because it will offend Jews, naturally.

In the same way we shoudln't be allowed to dress people up like slaves IF it would offend people.

And you and I can imagine it would offend people, but from my experience it doesn't offend people whatsoever.

And as long as something doesn't do harm to other people, I think it's OK to get on with it.

By the way, the party's fun is starting to get lost on me. I wouldn't shed a tear if Zwarte Piet would cease to exist. We'd find something else for the kids.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2013, 09:26:42 pm by DutchRed »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: November 7, 2013, 09:45:26 pm »

....and don't even get me started on the poor horse!

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #270 on: November 8, 2013, 06:46:53 am »
Yeah, that's the one I pity really, the poor old horse. Working like a dog for nothing. I'd suggest a change of horse rather than a change of the party altogether.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #271 on: November 17, 2013, 02:23:32 pm »

Nothing happened today when the good man and his crew entered Amsterdam today. Just the big party, the only thing was 20 demonstrants on Dam Square who didn't say a word.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #272 on: January 9, 2014, 04:15:36 pm »
Getting closer to my visit now, 9 weeks away, can't wait. There's only ended up my and the wife (for various reasons) but that's sound.

Now, I'm only a casual now and again smoker, so what should I be looking out for regarding various strains/types? Is it best just sticking to some hash? Will the guys in the coffeshops know what to recommend for a casual smoker?

The wife doesn't smoke at all, but she's up for trying a cake or something, same question about those really, I don't want to have to be carrying her anywhere if I'm stoned.

We're gonna hit a club one night while we're there, any recommendations? And what's the score with disco biscuits and that?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Toxteth_Terror

• Kopite
« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:44 am »
Away back over next weekend Friday - Sunday. Was hoping to catch the Ajax vs PSV game but it is a later KO.

Jack - In terms of clubbing, Trouw is excellent, especially if you are disco biscuit hunting.

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:25 am »
The was a place that served unlimited bbq ribs but I can't remember where it is which is a shame as it was great for when you had the munchies! Loved the Hebo shops too, (if that's what they are called) you could get fast food already made from an individual oven, all self service. Great idea.
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2014, 12:27:57 pm »
Jack - In terms of clubbing, Trouw is excellent, especially if you are disco biscuit hunting.

Cheers mate.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2014, 03:58:16 pm »
The was a place that served unlimited bbq ribs but I can't remember where it is which is a shame as it was great for when you had the munchies! Loved the Hebo shops too, (if that's what they are called) you could get fast food already made from an individual oven, all self service. Great idea.

Place on Leidseplein does the ribs. Febo is that fast food chain. Disgusting food but useful if you are totally scoobied and need food units without having to speak to a human. Much better food options if you go back through the thread but for price/quality/easy to find if you are around the red light/coffee shops area it is hard to beat Kam Yin on Waarmoestraat.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d1067497-Reviews-Kam_Yin-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Jack - try Thai weed or polm hash if you want something nice but not too strong. The people selling will generally give you decent advice. Definitely ask how strong the cake is first.

If you want to see something a bit different then this place is the best 5 euro you can spend in Amsterdam. Lovely bit of town to walk around as well.
http://www.electric-lady-land.com/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:17:42 pm by cloggypop »

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »

Jack - try Thai weed or polm hash if you want something nice but not too strong. The people selling will generally give you decent advice. Definitely ask how strong the cake is first.

If you want to see something a bit different then this place is the best 5 euro you can spend in Amsterdam. Lovely bit of town to walk around as well.
http://www.electric-lady-land.com/

Ta for that. Electric Ladyland looks boss.

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: February 11, 2014, 11:40:31 am »
Hi guys just a few quick questions. We are going over on a stag in a few weeks and want to do a tour of the Amsterdam arena. Ajax are playing away that weekend so want to go on the Saturday afternoon. Is it ok to pay at the gate and not pre book, or would it be sold out? Also, we are staying at the Winslow. Do they sell good Belgium beer such as duval, leffe etc? Might sound like a sily question but just curious
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE £20 BET

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 11, 2014, 02:17:46 pm »
Hi guys just a few quick questions. We are going over on a stag in a few weeks and want to do a tour of the Amsterdam arena. Ajax are playing away that weekend so want to go on the Saturday afternoon. Is it ok to pay at the gate and not pre book, or would it be sold out? Also, we are staying at the Winslow. Do they sell good Belgium beer such as duval, leffe etc? Might sound like a sily question but just curious

You do not need to book

http://www.amsterdamarena.nl/Tours.htm

No idea if the Winslow sell Belgian beer but it is not that hard to find. If you want to try some different ones then try here

http://cafe-belgique.nl/