Author Topic: Liverpool announce that Roy Hodgson has been appointed (*)  (Read 205555 times)

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
Re: Liverpool announce that Roy Hodgson has been appointed (*)
« Reply #1880 on: July 3, 2010, 12:33:30 pm »
And someone categorically stated there would be spade in the ground within 60 days, and that Rafa would have X amount of money to spend with no mention of new deals coming out of that kitty.
Someone also categorically stated there would be investment before easter, and that Rafa was part of the plan for the next years.

Dunno about you mate , but I am detecting a pattern here , praps im wrong , but hey you got your wish Rafa is gone , so let´s all go to the lobby and get ourselves some sweets and while we are  at it renew our childhood faith in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy.
Because the debt , the lies and the cowboys are all magically gone now that your pet hate Benitez is gone.

All of whom were not Broughton.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1881 on: July 3, 2010, 12:37:12 pm »
You almost get the feeling some of our fans are wanting Roy to fail so they can just prolong their moaning about Rafa going.

Rafa has gone, forget him in regards to Roy.  Give Roy a fighting chance, its the least he deserves.
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #1882 on: July 3, 2010, 12:43:12 pm »
He's already having a go at the yanks and he's only been in the job a few days.

"Hodgson feels his job would be easier if owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks go. “The sooner that happens the better,” he said".

Well in Roy

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #1883 on: July 3, 2010, 12:47:03 pm »
You almost get the feeling some of our fans are wanting Roy to fail so they can just prolong their moaning about Rafa going.
That is quite clearly bollocks.

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #1884 on: July 3, 2010, 12:49:21 pm »
All of whom were not Broughton.

I did not say it was Broughton , but it comes from the MGMT team , and they are all a bunch of liars as far as I am concerned.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #1885 on: July 3, 2010, 12:49:28 pm »
And someone categorically stated there would be spade in the ground within 60 days, and that Rafa would have X amount of money to spend with no mention of new deals coming out of that kitty.
Someone also categorically stated there would be investment before easter, and that Rafa was part of the plan for the next years.

Dunno about you mate , but I am detecting a pattern here , praps im wrong , but hey you got your wish Rafa is gone , so let´s all go to the lobby and get ourselves some sweets and while we are  at it renew our childhood faith in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy.
Because the debt , the lies and the cowboys are all magically gone now that your pet hate Benitez is gone.

As I keep saying, that was Hicks and Gillette saying that, not Broughton. Hicks and Gilette have stood down, why are people deliberatley ignoring this?
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1886 on: July 3, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »
Whisky nose did the same thing last season with City, called them a 'small club', and there wasn't a peep out of the press.
Yep, but then the British press have a clear bias against us in general and Rafa in particular - forgive me if that's what you meant :P ;)

Interesting though isn't it? Rafa never said 'small club', and gets slated for it, Fungus actually did say 'small club with a small-time mentality' and... nada. Our press are slime.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1887 on: July 3, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »
As I keep saying, that was Hicks and Gillette saying that, not Broughton. Hicks and Gilette have stood down, why are people deliberatley ignoring this?

Broughton says they have stepped down , that he is the big cheese etc etc .. sorry I don't believe any of it and quite frankly I am astounded that anyone else does.

If I am wrong I will hold up my hand  and say I was, but there is nothing to suggest that I am, nothing at all, other than the word of some 3 hr per week rentboy.
I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1888 on: July 3, 2010, 01:03:09 pm »

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/corporate/directors
M. Broughton
Chairman

C.M.C. Purslow
Managing Director

G.N. Gillett Jnr
Director

T.O. Hicks
Director

P. Nash
Director

I. Ayre
Director

Roy Hodgson's appointment was a board decision.
People are ignoring your point because it's utterly false.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2010, 01:05:03 pm by Trousers »
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #1889 on: July 3, 2010, 01:06:51 pm »
I know they are still directors they have stepped down from the sale , im not talking about Hodgson, im fully behind Hodgson now.

As I said, if we get to 31st august, sold loads of players without replacing them and nowhere nearer a sale he will be a lying c*nt, until then im keeping an open mind and getting behind the team and cheering the fuck up
« Last Edit: July 3, 2010, 01:09:31 pm by Walshy7 »
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #1890 on: July 3, 2010, 01:10:04 pm »
He's already having a go at the yanks and he's only been in the job a few days.

"Hodgson feels his job would be easier if owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks go. “The sooner that happens the better,” he said".

Well in Roy

Just got told about that quote, get in Roy.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1891 on: July 3, 2010, 01:12:08 pm »
I know they are still directors they have stepped down from the sale , im not talking about Hodgson, im fully behind Hodgson now.

As I said, if we get to 31st august, sold loads of players without replacing them and nowhere nearer a sale he will be a lying c*nt, until then im keeping an open mind and getting behind the team and cheering the fuck up
This is not a dig at you, but I bet you said something similar when Purslow took over, and when someone comes in after Broughton to sell the club you'll say the same again and so on......

As for the owners having little say in a takeover I find that far fetched to be honest.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1892 on: July 3, 2010, 01:17:52 pm »
Just got told about that quote, get in Roy.

Hmmm, think Rafa felt the same way.

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1893 on: July 3, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »

And that is the crux of the matter , because he said summat you wanted to hear, that is you placated.
The cynic in me might suggest that all of this is designed indeed to do just that , and while you and countless others are happy to lap this shit up and wait patiently for AUG 31st , what you won't be doing is sending letters, or applying any form of pressure which is what the vermin wants.

I live in the middle of nowhere, where I don't even speak the frelling language, and I had to go through the rather humiliating experience  of having to ask someone how to post some letters at the ripe old age of 37 and a bit years old, because I don't believe anything that is coming from these professional liars.
Be optimistic mate, be happy that  your arch nemesis has been binned in favour of someone older than my mother, but please for the love of everything that is holy , don't let those wankers spin you out of putting the pressure on them to fuck off.
I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #1894 on: July 3, 2010, 01:25:37 pm »
Hmmm, think Rafa felt the same way.

According to some on here though, Roy is the owners "Yes" man. The quote shows this is not the case.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #1895 on: July 3, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »
According to some on here though, Roy is the owners "Yes" man. The quote shows this is not the case.

Yeh but it was stupid to believe he was a yes man in the first place.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #1896 on: July 3, 2010, 02:00:02 pm »
Yeh but it was stupid to believe he was a yes man in the first place.

Tell that to the knee jerk army.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1897 on: July 3, 2010, 02:06:55 pm »

One thing Roy is not and thats a yes man.

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1898 on: July 3, 2010, 02:15:13 pm »
The whole 'Roy is just one of them' is boring and quite tiresome, seemingly based on the fact he hasn't called his new employers a bunch of c*nts.

Carra and Stevie have both come out in support of the appointment - does that mean they're 'in on it' too?
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Karthik

• Violet Elizabeth doesn't travel well. Forgot the 'c' in thik.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1899 on: July 3, 2010, 02:36:26 pm »
Looked at it another way - if the squad's fit no-one expects Hodgson to do better than 4th. A realistic and reasonable season. Why then, was it reasonable to expect that as an absolute minimum, plus good performance in the CL, from Rafa?

It is reasonable based on their ability. Rafa was probably the most successful manager (before joining us) we had hired in forever. He then won the champions league and masterminded victories over juve, barca, real, inter, etc, etc. and proved that he was capable of getting the squad to play ang almost won the title. So 4th is the least I would expect of him and probably would have expected 3rd even and a good run in the CL.
Hodgson on the other hand is a average journeyman who has never stayed long enough anywhere to achieve anything whose biggest achievement as a manager was to get switzerland to 3rd in world ranking (not a big deal as mexico and US have gotten very high and the whole ranking system is shit) almost 20 years ago.
He did okay at fulham getting them to 7th with 13th most expensive squad and 15th most wages but given his career I wouldnt expect him to get anywhere near what rafa did with us. It is what it is a safe appointment. He will keep us going and not crash and burn like leeds or newcastle (hopefully)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #1900 on: July 3, 2010, 03:05:01 pm »
Looked at it another way - if the squad's fit no-one expects Hodgson to do better than 4th. A realistic and reasonable season. Why then, was it reasonable to expect that as an absolute minimum, plus good performance in the CL, from Rafa?

It's not like we were miles off 4th last season either - 6 points I think, with a total good enough to make 4th in many previous seasons, and with a level of competition that might have seen Arsenal drop out instead if it had been that strong in 08-09, and in which we had exceptional bad luck with injuries.

People expected more from Rafa because it was his squad he built over the course of five years, playing his style of football. And that is what the squads level is.

Towards the end of the season the players didn't show any signs that they were pulling together and we could expect any different next season. In short Rafa didn't illustrate he could turn things round by slowly whimpering out the race for fourth place. Now, like many on here I could forgive Rafa one average season because he deserved it - an it was a mediocre season; measured by the squads talent, performances and results.

As you say Roy has come in and the expectations are rather safe - a man should get us back into the top four places and qualifying for the champions league. If he does this then the expectations will grow for the following season. He is a new manager with someone else's squad and needs to familiarise himself with players, coaches etc. Most people assume we will also lose Mascherano and/or Gerrard.

It will be interesting to see how the fans feel if the positions are reversed - if Roy has us consistently finishing second and mounting a serious title assault but crashing out of Europe early on.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1901 on: July 3, 2010, 03:05:22 pm »
It is reasonable based on their ability. Rafa was probably the most successful manager (before joining us) we had hired in forever. He then won the champions league and masterminded victories over juve, barca, real, inter, etc, etc. and proved that he was capable of getting the squad to play ang almost won the title. So 4th is the least I would expect of him and probably would have expected 3rd even and a good run in the CL.
Hodgson on the other hand is a average journeyman who has never stayed long enough anywhere to achieve anything whose biggest achievement as a manager was to get switzerland to 3rd in world ranking (not a big deal as mexico and US have gotten very high and the whole ranking system is shit) almost 20 years ago.
He did okay at fulham getting them to 7th with 13th most expensive squad and 15th most wages but given his career I wouldnt expect him to get anywhere near what rafa did with us. It is what it is a safe appointment. He will keep us going and not crash and burn like leeds or newcastle (hopefully)

well the writings on the wall then? I understand the nagetivity surrounding the whole thing. But do you not have an optimistic side that maybe. just maybe roy might do good?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1902 on: July 3, 2010, 03:09:26 pm »
I was thinking more of the first couple of months - if he can get through that fixture list well there's a good chance we'll have a decent season. If he doesn't it'll be crisis from the very begininning, and the press won't waste any time sharpening their knives, and there's a lot of fans who I don't suppose will give him much patience.
I must admit, I dread a bad run and the explosion of emotions that would ensue. Very interesting times ahead and to be honest I can't wait for the season to start now. I just hope we rest some players during the EL.
Hope all is well in Brixton mate.

Offline Sylveh

• Main Stander
« Reply #1903 on: July 3, 2010, 05:53:03 pm »
Welcome Roy, guide us through this mess.

Roy to grow a goatee @ 25/1 anyone? Lol.
My mum bought me a dodgy LFC home shirt from Malaysia. On the badge is said "You'll never walk again".

Offline malg01

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1904 on: July 3, 2010, 06:00:54 pm »
One thing Roy is not and thats a yes man.

Roy
Do you want the job YES
Will you do it for half the wages of Rafa YES
Will you do it with or no money to spend YES
Can we sell Benny YES
Do you know lots of fans don't want you YES
Only time will tell if he is a yes man, I think he will be.

Offline Jadam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1905 on: July 3, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »
Good luck Roy, you'll need it
"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." -
               Rafa Benitez

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1906 on: July 3, 2010, 06:06:06 pm »
Roy
Do you want the job YES
Can we sell Benny YES

You've made your anti-Hodgson bias fairly clear already in your previous posts
"second rate manager" etc.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1907 on: July 3, 2010, 06:09:30 pm »
We've got a cracking squad I think. Keep ahold of key players and make the right additions and we could surprise this year. If we lose anyone I think it'll be Masch, and I would go for Serina Williams as a replacement, she's a monster n'all.
@paulair

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1908 on: July 3, 2010, 06:32:40 pm »
Its got fuckin quotes in it mate. It came from the Irish Independent. That ok for you now?

It's from the UK Press Association and quoted in a whole load of papers.

Carragher confident pair will stay

(UKPA) – 23 hours ago

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher is confident star players Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will still be at the club next season.

The pair have both been the subject of speculation this summer following the Reds' failure to qualify for the Champions League and the departure of manager Rafael Benitez and the arrival of Roy Hodgson.

The 32-year-old told talkSPORT: "I am sure they will still be involved at the club next season and if they are the aim for the club will be to get back into the Champions League."

He added: "I think there is a lot of talk about this but the people who say these things, a lot of them are doing this to create a bit of pressure around the club. I don't think anyone knows these people personally to come out and say that."

Hodgson stated at his unveiling that his goal for next season is to get Liverpool back into the elite European competition.

Carragher added: "We didn't just miss out, we finished seventh. That is a big disappointment.

"If we could get back in there that would be a great achievement for the club and the manager.

"It is going to be a tough season but if we keep the players we have got and get back to where we were a few years ago I am sure we will give everyone a run for their money."

Carragher is looking forward to working with veteran boss Hodgson, who led Fulham to the Europa League final last season.

"I think it is a great appointment by the club," he said. "I am sure we can move on from this and it will go well."

Copyright © 2010 The Press Association. All rights reserved.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1909 on: July 3, 2010, 06:46:24 pm »
Roy
Do you want the job YES
Can we sell Benny YES
yeah, thats a great point mate. well made.
do you fancy leaving fulham for a job at one of the biggest clubs in the world?
No ta.
Thats logical isnt it.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1910 on: July 3, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »
You've made your anti-Hodgson bias fairly clear already in your previous posts
"second rate manager" etc.
I'll support Roy Hodgson, but that is exactly what he is (and with absolute certainty in comparison with our last manager). The fact he's now Liverpool's manager shouldn't alter that one iota.

He may prove me and others wrong but as it stands he hasn't yet. As unpalatable as that maybe to Liverpool supporters.

And the fans aren't the only ones with that view, the only man who had the experience to make the decision to appoint our new manager thought so to, or else he would not have put his name forward.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1911 on: July 3, 2010, 09:03:09 pm »
I am starting to warm towards Roy Hodgson ... I think he will be able to put an arm round the shoulder of some of our players, and maybe coax some better performances from under performers. I think if we don't make any signings and keep this squad together we will finish in the top 4.

If we can get a sale this summer to decent owners and keep the squad together, I will be so happy. I like Roy Hodgson as a man and want him to succeed.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #1912 on: July 3, 2010, 09:06:50 pm »
One thing I'm rather annoyed at is the fact that if we waited two more weeks we could have had the pick of which ever managers got sacked or quit from their international teams.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1913 on: July 3, 2010, 09:09:09 pm »
One thing I'm rather annoyed at is the fact that if we waited two more weeks we could have had the pick of which ever managers got sacked or quit from their international teams.

I think Hodgson was a good appointment and could be what we need. I am happy we have a British manager with great experience and respect for the club.

Of these international managers who would do you think would have been a better appointment than Roy Hodgson?
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1914 on: July 3, 2010, 09:13:17 pm »
I am starting to warm towards Roy Hodgson ... I think he will be able to put an arm round the shoulder of some of our players, and maybe coax some better performances from under performers. I think if we don't make any signings and keep this squad together we will finish in the top 4.

There's a lot of posters who seem to share this view - and I don't meant to shoot you down mate but it's absolute bollocks.

The current first 11 (if we even keep them) might well be good enough, but there's very little cover in terms of depth.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1915 on: July 3, 2010, 09:29:39 pm »
There's a lot of posters who seem to share this view - and I don't meant to shoot you down mate but it's absolute bollocks.

The current first 11 (if we even keep them) might well be good enough, but there's very little cover in terms of depth.

Why is it absolute bollocks when virtually the same squad fisnihed 2nd the year before. I think Jovanovic is a good addition and our squad is better than people give it credit for. I think a change of direction from Hodgson could be what we need. I don't see why you see my view as "complete bollocks" and think you are being very dramatic!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1916 on: July 3, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »
I hope some fans start backing Hodgson soon, I just get the feeling that alot of fans are a bit reluctant to support him and still want Rafa here

Whats done is done lets get behind the new manager and the team and lets have a good season!

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1917 on: July 3, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »
Do I think he's the right man for the job? NO

Do I think our players will like him? YES

Can he take us forward? No one knows.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline malg01

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1918 on: July 3, 2010, 09:36:45 pm »
yeah, thats a great point mate. well made.
do you fancy leaving fulham for a job at one of the biggest clubs in the world?
No ta.
Thats logical isnt it.

Deschamps said no by all accounts. Hope I'm wrong about Hodgson I really do,but most people know he is a second rate manager and sadly for Liverpool he will fail.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #1919 on: July 3, 2010, 09:41:41 pm »

We need a decent left back, a more solid defensive alternative to Johnson and another quality young centre back. You'd have to hope Insua, Aquilani and Lucas improve as well to challenge. I think our top players will stay maybe except for Masch so a good replacement will be needed for him. Not sure how prolific Jovanovic is/will be but I'd be surprised if he is able to fill in for Torres when injured. I think Roy will be able to raise the morale of the squad provided the top players aren't sold from under his nose. If we can keep our top players fit on top of this we can have a good season. This squad has achieved 86 points just over a year ago so I don't think things are as bad on the pitch as some fear, of course that could change very quickly before the end of the transfer window.