Author Topic: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here  (Read 111863 times)

Offline Nicoliverpool

  • French Pie Eating Champion 2007
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,302
  • We shall not be moved
My apologies for the no-show. Something came up on that night with my future employers...
Yanks out

Offline The crushing machine

  • Boys Pen
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Agree with all the comments of a great turnout. I was the one with the multicoloured shorts, white SOS t-shirt and the only person stupid enough to wear a hoody in that room. Great to put some faces to names, count me in with any direct action.

Offline GeeFJay

  • aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,151
    • insults.net
Agree with all the comments of a great turnout. I was the one with the multicoloured shorts, white SOS t-shirt and the only person stupid enough to wear a hoody in that room. Great to put some faces to names, count me in with any direct action.

hoody :lmao

have you been banned? good to see you about ;)
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline fluffy

  • Main Stander
  • ***
  • Posts: 58
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Brilliant. Perhaps the least fluffy person I've ever met.

I dare anyone go up to him in person and ask if he's fluffy ;D

i'm a gentle giant really. Unless it's outside Sunderland last season after the match !

Offline SMD

  • Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 34,014
i'm a gentle giant really.

Shocking behaviour for a direct action officer.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline The 5th Benitle

  • Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 45,290
  • Read, then post...
Another question, who was the big South African dude who asked a few questions?

Offline Lizapool

  • Main Stander
  • ***
  • Posts: 61
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Great turn out and plenty of passion- the room for future meetings need to be three times larger- i almost pegged out.

Apologies for the room was expecting about 30 people when I booked it!!!



Online archie

  • bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 4,486
  • you're due a duechers
Another question, who was the big South African dude who asked a few questions?

Dunno, but he could provide the muscle outside RBS! ;D

Offline OldRed1

  • Main Stander
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
  • All generalizations are false, including this one
Mark, I've got your PM, but I'm not allowed to reply at the moment.
I think it is a good idea and fits in with the part of spreading the word... but need to see what Graham and Peter say.
When I can PM, I'll respond to your mail.
J496

Offline 24/7

  • https://soulbearing.home.blog/
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 31,789
    • 'Soul Bearing' - a very personal blog.
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Mark, I've got your PM, but I'm not allowed to reply at the moment.
I think it is a good idea and fits in with the part of spreading the word... but need to see what Graham and Peter say.
When I can PM, I'll respond to your mail.
53 posts means you can now PM :) :wave
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom." - Rabindranath Tagore.

Offline jefecito

  • Main Stander
  • ***
  • Posts: 142
    • The Asian Kop
Just wanted to say well done for last night to all those that turned up. Thanks to Graham, Jay and for the people who organised the venue. It was brilliant and inspiring. I'm most definitely up for direct action.

(I was the asian dude in the shirt and trousers towards the back. Thanks to the guy who bought me the water. I owe you a bevvie!!!)


Offline redmark

  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 19,316
    • Save Liverpool FC
Mark, I've got your PM, but I'm not allowed to reply at the moment.
I think it is a good idea and fits in with the part of spreading the word... but need to see what Graham and Peter say.
When I can PM, I'll respond to your mail.

No probs. I replied to the reply a little while ago. Needs Roy/Shanklyboy's input too I think. :)
We Are Liverpool.

Offline Oscar3

  • Kopite
  • *****
  • Posts: 892
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Great turn out and plenty of passion- the room for future meetings need to be three times larger- i almost pegged out.
Ha ha  Looks like one of Hitlers Bunkers!
sons of men who stand like gods

Online Redsnappa

  • Pining for a League Championship
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,865
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
I'm from Luton, I know there were at least a couple of others there or expressing interest beforehand. There was also a post here somewhere about an 'East Anglia' branch maybe including Bedfordshire. I think it's a good idea if the "max 100 members" rule is strict, but I'm not sure it's as urgent a task as getting some of the protesting done in London. If we Bedfordshire fans have to tag along as Londoners for a while to keep the numbers up, I think that's worthwhile and a Bedfordshire branch can come second to that. IMHO.


Yeah, that was me posting about an East Anglia branch. I just think we'd be missing a trick by including what must surely be hundreds of Reds in East Anglia in with the London Reds.

Sure, we can support any demos, protests etc in the Smoke along with a Southern Home Counties branch, a Thames Valley Branch etc., but the limit of 100 on SOS branches is, going by the reports of the first London meeting, soon going to be reached.

Have any of you Bedfordshire guys actually emailed Graham to find out how many SOS members there are in the region? I would do it myself, but I'm away from home with work most weeks. But hey, if it means we can get off our arses and get moving, I'll get on to it.

Again, I repeat our catchment area, with meetings to be held in a central location such as Cambridge...

Cambridgeshire
Bedfordshire
Norfolk
Suffolk
North Essex
North Herts
East Northants
South Lincs (possibly)

Let's get on it guys....


Offline Lfsea

  • Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 27,972
Any chance of someone editing the OP, as it is likely to seem like a redundant thread to newcomers, and as we know Fester is a goner?

Something along the lines of: 'The SoS London Thread, discussion and new members in here'?

Offline Robert_B

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,182
  • Decisions are made by those who show up.
Yeah, that was me posting about an East Anglia branch. I just think we'd be missing a trick by including what must surely be hundreds of Reds in East Anglia in with the London Reds.

Sure, we can support any demos, protests etc in the Smoke along with a Southern Home Counties branch, a Thames Valley Branch etc., but the limit of 100 on SOS branches is, going by the reports of the first London meeting, soon going to be reached.

Have any of you Bedfordshire guys actually emailed Graham to find out how many SOS members there are in the region? I would do it myself, but I'm away from home with work most weeks. But hey, if it means we can get off our arses and get moving, I'll get on to it.

Again, I repeat our catchment area, with meetings to be held in a central location such as Cambridge...

Cambridgeshire
Bedfordshire
Norfolk
Suffolk
North Essex
North Herts
East Northants
South Lincs (possibly)

Let's get on it guys....



I think that's too large a catchment area. It's asking a bit much to hope people will drive up to 40/50 miles after work or whatever to attend a meeting.

Online Redsnappa

  • Pining for a League Championship
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,865
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
I think that's too large a catchment area. It's asking a bit much to hope people will drive up to 40/50 miles after work or whatever to attend a meeting.
But it's ok to expect them to travel 40/50 miles to attend a meeting in London?

My Ma lives in Harrow in North West London.... Bedford to Harrow 44 miles. So to a meeting in SE1, you're looking at nearly 60 miles.

We have to start somewhere.... and if, initially, it's going to inconvenience some folk until we get so organised and busy that we have County organisations then I suggest that that is a cross we have to bear.


Offline redmark

  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 19,316
    • Save Liverpool FC
Yeah, that was me posting about an East Anglia branch. I just think we'd be missing a trick by including what must surely be hundreds of Reds in East Anglia in with the London Reds.

Sure, we can support any demos, protests etc in the Smoke along with a Southern Home Counties branch, a Thames Valley Branch etc., but the limit of 100 on SOS branches is, going by the reports of the first London meeting, soon going to be reached.

Have any of you Bedfordshire guys actually emailed Graham to find out how many SOS members there are in the region? I would do it myself, but I'm away from home with work most weeks. But hey, if it means we can get off our arses and get moving, I'll get on to it.

Again, I repeat our catchment area, with meetings to be held in a central location such as Cambridge...

Cambridgeshire
Bedfordshire
Norfolk
Suffolk
North Essex
North Herts
East Northants
South Lincs (possibly)

Let's get on it guys....



I don't disagree mate, with the numbers at the meeting in London that could certainly exceed 100 quite quickly. My only point of caution was putting energy into organising other branches now, when there could be stuff happening in London in the next days and weeks.

I think that's too large a catchment area. It's asking a bit much to hope people will drive up to 40/50 miles after work or whatever to attend a meeting.
But it's ok to expect them to travel 40/50 miles to attend a meeting in London?

My Ma lives in Harrow in North West London.... Bedford to Harrow 44 miles. So to a meeting in SE1, you're looking at nearly 60 miles.

We have to start somewhere.... and if, initially, it's going to inconvenience some folk until we get so organised and busy that we have County organisations then I suggest that that is a cross we have to bear.



Thinking about road and rail links, it might be better to draw the boundary of an 'East Anglia' branch a little further to the east (Cambridgeshire to Essex) and put Herts/Beds into another branch, maybe with Bucks etc.

We could do with some analysis of numbers by postcode, even if we're not allowed to have individual names and email addresses, to assess the most suitable structure. One concern with the "50 to 100" branch members restrictions was always that it's going to piss people off if they get a branch going then have to split into two just because it's successful. Better to get it broadly balanced numbers wise from the start.

We Are Liverpool.

Offline Robert_B

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,182
  • Decisions are made by those who show up.
But it's ok to expect them to travel 40/50 miles to attend a meeting in London?

My Ma lives in Harrow in North West London.... Bedford to Harrow 44 miles. So to a meeting in SE1, you're looking at nearly 60 miles.

We have to start somewhere.... and if, initially, it's going to inconvenience some folk until we get so organised and busy that we have County organisations then I suggest that that is a cross we have to bear.



Perhaps there's some mileage in having semi-formal mini branches, which in themselves can have all the organisation they want, but isn't granted full "branch" status until it can reach the necessary membership levels?

At the end of the day I think it boils down to what's convenient for you. I live in Bedford but work in London - so for me, a meeting in London on a weekday evening is fine. I'm sure a lot of people are in a similar position, where you can attend meetings in the evening because it's close to where you *are* rather than where you *live*. So for me, London meetings are ok - but somewhere like Cambridge would be nigh on impossible - train links from Bedford are non-existent going east.

It's not the same situation as say someone who lives in a small town/village who has to travel to a bigger town/city 40 miles away with no direct rail links after work to attend a meeting - the overall distance might be the same, but in terms of practicality it's a joke and I could see it quickly dying on it's arse.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:12:56 PM by Robert_B »

Offline Alf

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 15,615
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Jay spoke straight from the heart and his passion for the cause was fantastic. I thought the turnout was good and so was the crowd there.

Online Redsnappa

  • Pining for a League Championship
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,865
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.

Thinking about road and rail links, it might be better to draw the boundary of an 'East Anglia' branch a little further to the east (Cambridgeshire to Essex) and put Herts/Beds into another branch, maybe with Bucks etc.

We could do with some analysis of numbers by postcode, even if we're not allowed to have individual names and email addresses, to assess the most suitable structure. One concern with the "50 to 100" branch members restrictions was always that it's going to piss people off if they get a branch going then have to split into two just because it's successful. Better to get it broadly balanced numbers wise from the start.

Yeah, I'm fine with that - drawing the line further east - only reason I suggested such a large area is that I don't recall too many enquiries or interest from the Norwich/Ipswich areas....

If the momentum is coming from Bucks, Herts and Beds, I'm game for a Branch there - based around Milton Keynes/Bedford/Hemel or wherever.

I'm fine with Robert's POV too. If where you work is more convenient than where you live, then go for it.

I just want to see things happen. If SOS Sweden can get their act together in so short a time, why the bloody hell can't we?

Offline Robert_B

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,182
  • Decisions are made by those who show up.
Yeah, I'm fine with that - drawing the line further east - only reason I suggested such a large area is that I don't recall too many enquiries or interest from the Norwich/Ipswich areas....

If the momentum is coming from Bucks, Herts and Beds, I'm game for a Branch there - based around Milton Keynes/Bedford/Hemel or wherever.

I'm fine with Robert's POV too. If where you work is more convenient than where you live, then go for it.

I just want to see things happen. If SOS Sweden can get their act together in so short a time, why the bloody hell can't we?

Scandinavians are just better than us, I've come to accept that ;D

But seriously, you're right, you can belong to a branch all you want, but the bottom line is you sign up, get others to sign up and you do your own bit for the cause - even if you can't attend a meeting, get involved any way you can. Read the minutes after the meeting, email the chair with input, think up an idea how you can protest on your own, do what you can.

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,697
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Lads,

We'll do what we can to assist any branches being set up - the best way to consider this is by postcodes as that is how we capture the information on our database.

Anyone prepared to coordinate can get in touch and we can give you an idea of the number of members within a postcode selection but you guys on the ground will know the geography better than us.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline redmark

  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 19,316
    • Save Liverpool FC
Lads,

We'll do what we can to assist any branches being set up - the best way to consider this is by postcodes as that is how we capture the information on our database.

Anyone prepared to coordinate can get in touch and we can give you an idea of the number of members within a postcode selection but you guys on the ground will know the geography better than us.

Cheers Graham.

I'm happy to do some analysis (sad geek, I actually like playing around with Excel) on postcodes if you can provide those without personal details (you can strip out the second part of the postcode if you like for data protection compliance :)).


We Are Liverpool.

Offline decky

  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 2,814
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
What type of database is it, mysql? I'm sure you can create an sql script to do this. I can help with that if necessary

Online Minore

  • Late Night Cruiser of Swedish *ahem* "TV" Channels.
  • Kopite
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #265 on: July 10, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
Would like to say Good Luck to all involved with the London Branch. If you need any help or so, ask me how we did or what it can be, email me at joackimlundberg@hotmail.com :)

/Jocke, founder of SOS Sweden Branch

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,697
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
To further update the three candidates for Secretary have been emailed and I'd hope to push their mini profiles out Monday with votes back in and an appointment by Friday.

On the basis that the meetings look like being pretty rammed I'll come down for the next one and link it with a work visit if that would help - sort of liaison.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,697
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
Cheers Graham.

I'm happy to do some analysis (sad geek, I actually like playing around with Excel) on postcodes if you can provide those without personal details (you can strip out the second part of the postcode if you like for data protection compliance :)).

Sorry, what I meant to say is that we have the tools to group members together for email purposes - what we need is for a coordinator to list to us the postcodes to which we should send an email to members in those selected postcodes.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline redmark

  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 19,316
    • Save Liverpool FC
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #268 on: July 11, 2010, 12:47:45 PM »
What type of database is it, mysql? I'm sure you can create an sql script to do this. I can help with that if necessary

SELECT distinct(substr(post_code,4)), count(distinct(substr(post_code,4))) from members_list

or similar should do it; list of post code areas and the number of members in each. The syntax might be slightly off, usually get my assistant to tweak my SQL :).

We Are Liverpool.

Offline redmark

  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 19,316
    • Save Liverpool FC
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #269 on: July 11, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
Sorry, what I meant to say is that we have the tools to group members together for email purposes - what we need is for a coordinator to list to us the postcodes to which we should send an email to members in those selected postcodes.

In trying to work out the best structure and number branches - say, north of London and East Anglia - it would be very handy to know the number of members in those areas, i.e. the first half of the post code. The transport links north of London are all north-south: there's sod all running east-west say 20-70 miles out London. It can be quicker to go into London by train (or at least, down to the M25 if driving) and then back out to get anywhere. So the numbers in each of those 'bands' of country stretching out north from London could be very useful in getting the branches in the right places.

edit: if those numbers are unavailable, could SOS email all members in certain postcode areas and ask them to pick say 3 towns/cities in order of preference on where, if anywhere, they would be available to meet, from a list of say 7 or 8? If SOS centrally don't have the resources to analyse the results I can do it, and I'm sure there are others willing. So if there are enough for separate branches based around say Camb/Essex/Norfolk/Suffolk and Beds/Herts/Bucks, we can start working on getting the right people involved in organising in the right places. Just want to avoid people putting effort into launching a branch, getting some of the key/organisers people up and running and then find the branch is too large and perhaps the most active organisers are the ones in the area that needs to split off and form another branch.


« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:02:27 PM by redmark »
We Are Liverpool.

Offline 24/7

  • https://soulbearing.home.blog/
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 31,789
    • 'Soul Bearing' - a very personal blog.
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »
The transport links north of London are all north-south: there's sod all running east-west say 20-70 miles out London. It can be quicker to go into London by train (or at least, down to the M25 if driving) and then back out to get anywhere. So the numbers in each of those 'bands' of country stretching out north from London could be very useful in getting the branches in the right places.
When you say "bands", are you thinking along similar lines we used to think in a company I worked for, i.e. "corridors"? We used to split our market up into sectors - NW, NE, SE and SW quadrants within the M25 - beyond it we operated in terms of M11 corridor up to Stansted, M1 corridor up to MK, M40 corridor up to High Wycombe, M4 corridor out to Reading, M3 corridor down to Fleet, etc.
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom." - Rabindranath Tagore.

Offline redmark

  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 19,316
    • Save Liverpool FC
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »
When you say "bands", are you thinking along similar lines we used to think in a company I worked for, i.e. "corridors"? We used to split our market up into sectors - NW, NE, SE and SW quadrants within the M25 - beyond it we operated in terms of M11 corridor up to Stansted, M1 corridor up to MK, M40 corridor up to High Wycombe, M4 corridor out to Reading, M3 corridor down to Fleet, etc.

Yep thanks, corridors was exactly what I was thinking of (actually had the word in my head yesterday when thinking about it, forgot by the time I was posting :)). The road and rail links just make it logical for any sort of logistical consideration, whether that's products to market or fans to branch meetings.

We Are Liverpool.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

  • Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 35,467
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »
Lunn'ners - take a look here: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=260460.new#new

A chance to make an immediate impact in the campaign
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Lizapool

  • Main Stander
  • ***
  • Posts: 61
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: SoS London: Report on 1st meeting 8/7 from Chairman -Chris
« Reply #273 on: July 12, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »
All,

A big thank you to everyone who turned up last night, especially to Graham and Jay for blowing all the SOS funds on their taxi down from Liverpool. J

Apologies for the lack of space, air, etc, but better we had too many and were cramped in, than not having enough people.

I would thank you for voting me in as Chair but as I wasn’t keen on the post (due to family commitments) and the fact that nobody actually voted, there is no need.  I will do my best, but I am going to need help and support from every one of you.

As treasurer, Kev has agreed to approve any mortgage application any of us put in with RBS to raise funds. J

On a more serious note, I think we all appreciate the awkward position he is in and I know that personally I am very grateful for all the hard work he has already put in and for taking position of Treasurer.

Last night was a good start as it shows there is the momentum and willing to do this thing.  There was a good amount of information, suggestions and concerns being thrown about to see that there is much to do.

 

And from where I was standing I could see alot of passion and frustration, along with plenty of beer, to realise that we had 100 people in a room, balcony and stairs ready to take up the challenge.

 

The big task we now face is getting organised enough to use that momentum to address the things which need to be done.

Someone asked, “What happens next?”  Big question which we tried start to answer last night, and as far as I can remember, the list is:
 

1.       Get a secretary on board – Graham is organising the vote for this.

2.       The Committee meet to organise and focus our objectives.  This will include Pat (?) who volunteered to be the Direct Action Officer

3.       As Jay said, we need suggestions, advice, proposals, skills which people have which can be used etc, so first action is for everyone to have a think of what they want to contribute and send them in.  I will keep a list to pass to the committee and decide how to progress and utilise them.

4.       Once we have the list and the committee meet, we will e-mail everyone to let you all know what the next thing to do is and when the next meeting is.

5.       Could people also e-mail me with their preference for day of the week, time and ideas for locations.  Being crowded in for our first meeting makes a nice story for the kids and generated a good informal atmosphere.  (Also a big thank you to Murphy for letting us use the room for free). Next time we’ll aim to throw in some air and seats.

From a personal view, we need to get the balance right between public action and hard work behind the scenes.

There is no doubt that there is a real need to continue with public action (as started by Liz and Ben last week) and Pat has volunteered to co-ordinate this direct action.  This is essential to our challenge and all volunteers will be most welcome.

There is also a need for the more mundane every day actions like educating fellow Liverpool fans.  As many said last night, there are too many Reds who just don’t get the dreadful predicament the club faces and are more worried if Lucas stays, blah, blah.

You all know the crossroads we’re at, and we need others to understand this. Word of mouth and getting mates to join is essential and a good start.  However, we need to step this up.

So my suggestion is that we appoint a Media & Information Officer to our local committee.  That person (or maybe a team) would look at ways in which we can organise our efforts to inform the other fans in and around London about the club’s position.

As I said, last night I saw a lot of passion and a lot of frustration.   Please hold onto that passion for the next few weeks whilst we get this going and in preparation to unleash your frustration on the likes of Broughton and Purslow.

I don’t go on the forums or I will never get any work done, but if anyone wants to chat, this is my e-mail addy. sos@hixvil.co.uk.

 

Offline brezipool

  • Kemlynite
  • **
  • Posts: 40
  • YNWA Come On The REDMEN !
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #274 on: July 12, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »
Alright folks,

Im Brez, new member, just saying hello.

Talk soon. ;D

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,697
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #275 on: July 19, 2010, 05:08:21 PM »
Chris's email to Branch Members today

Good afternoon to everyone,

I wanted to send an update last Thursday, entitled "One Week On" following our first meeting, but thought I better wait for the results of the election.

It’s been a busy time for the branch as we have had the secretarial election and some further discussions about the make up of the Branch Committee.

Just as importantly (if not more so), I’ve had e-mails from you with some good suggestions and dialogue.

That question in London last week “What Next” is our biggest challenge and something which has had me thinking all the time.  There is a lot of energy and dedication in our group and we should not allow that to dissipate or turn into a talking shop.

Our first meeting was fantastic as an introduction and a launching pad for what we are will do to achieve our aims down here in London to help our club.

To build on this, we will focus our next meeting on how we become organised and focus our energies and work to maximum effect.  With this in mind, I have come up with some topics which we can discuss at our next meeting.  I will return to this later.

Returning to the Committee elections, you will recall that I indicated that I was a willing but somewhat reluctant candidate for Chair due to my family commitments.

Once I saw three willing Committee members come forward it seemed sensible to see if we could use their enthusiasm and not lose any of it due to an election result favouring only one of the candidates. Steph Jones was a clear winner in the secretarial election.

I have spoken with Graham Smith (Assistant Secretary of the Union) and we discussed expanding the Committee to have the following members:

Chair

Treasurer

Secretary

Direct Action

Co-opted Member 1*

Co-opted Member 2*


*The co-opted members will be general members to assist and support the functions of the officers and will serve for one year after which new elections will be held.


Graham has said that he would be happy to endorse the suggestion and following the results, he has spoken with all three candidates to formulate a solution.


The three candidates, Graham and I all agree on this solution, so if members are agreeable, we would like to propose that the following take the up these positions.


Chair - Steph Jones

Treasurer - Kev Dunn

Secretary - Mike Nelson

Direct Action - Pat Garrett

Co-opted Member 1 - Chris O'Dea

Co-opted Member 2 - James Grant

I can confirm that all have agreed to assume the positions for one year.


I appreciate that this a slightly unusual way of dealing with matters but it will get us up and running.

Unless there are any strong objections we will meet as a Committee as soon as possible and call the next Branch meeting shortly

Returning to my suggested agenda, which is based on people’s suggestions (so a big thank you to everyone who put them forward) below is what I am proposing and will discuss at our next meeting.

1. Direct Action – Led by Pat, to collect the ideas and names and availability of people.  In particular, action regarding RBS, Broughton and any other related meetings in and around London.

2. Use of IT – how can we best use this, e.g. website, virals, mail shots, etc.  Do we need an IT Team?

3. Information Officer – To build a team and an organised campaign to inform fellow Reds in and around London of the club’s situation, Share LFC, etc.  This would include putting together a structured set of facts and information and distribution of the material, i.e. internet, flyers at tube/train stations/away games, posters etc.

4. People’s skills and availability – Both the branch and the main body need people’s assistance.  I would like us to build a quick and simple database of everyone including their skills, connections and availability
of when and how they can help both for branch and the main body.   If we
make this work, we could discuss with the main body if they would like to adopt it for all their members.

5. Assisting the Main body – they need help with answering queries, stuffing envelopes, etc.  How can we help?  And who would be willing to do so?
Raising funds – How can we raise funds to do some of the above, e.g. sell t-shirts, but I am sure we can come up with other ideas.

There were other very good suggestions, such as getting fans from other clubs involved.  However, whatever we do needs to dovetail with the main Committee, and at a general meeting any formal links with other Clubs was ruled out for now.

It isn’t to say we cannot discuss it with the main Committee and see if this decision cannot be re-evaluated.  Maybe if we can come up with a specific viable campaign which we can run without taking up too much of their resources, we can make this fly.

When the committee meet, a decision will be made about what will actually be discussed, but If you have something else you would like to add to above, please let me or Steph know so we can see where it can be added.

I was extremely proud to be the chair, albeit for a short period and thank everyone who lent me their support during my time in the position.

I am also very grateful to Steph for agreeing to take over the Chair and am sure you will all join me in wishing her and the other elected committee members the best of luck and all our support.

Regards

Chris
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline The 5th Benitle

  • Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 45,290
  • Read, then post...
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »
Congratulations to Steph on deservedly winning the election for secretary and for volunteering to become Chair.
 
Very much looking forward to the first committee meeting.

Offline Ryde-On

  • Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Believer
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,831
  • Aye.
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #277 on: July 21, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »
I'd like to know when the next meeting is...I'll attend, if not on tour.

Online Minore

  • Late Night Cruiser of Swedish *ahem* "TV" Channels.
  • Kopite
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2010, 12:47:09 PM »
London, how many members do you have right now?

Offline OldRed1

  • Main Stander
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
  • All generalizations are false, including this one
Re: SoS London: Discussion and new members in here
« Reply #279 on: July 21, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »
69 confirmed, with possibly about 20 more if we get their SOS membership numbers
J496