Author Topic: Possible asset stripping  (Read 40716 times)

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Possible asset stripping
« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2010, 12:00:30 am »
When one, or both, of our owners seem to celebrate the work of Gordon Gecko then it's hardly rocket science to work out that they are going to squeeze every last drop of juice out of this rotten apple before they close their file on us.
Do you think they're both sat at home wondering how to win us trophies, or do you think they're sat at home trying to work out how best to carve this bird up?

Offline mickp80

• Kemlynite
  • man im pretty
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2010, 01:41:55 am »
Scary stuff really,at the end of the day.LFC os now seen as a business and unfortunately all assets are sellable and NO-ONE is untouchable to the yank pricks.I seriously hope it doesnt come to this
As long as L.F.C exists,i will love it

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2010, 09:55:12 am »
They've each had dozens of failures.  Does that make them stupid? You discount the 3rd possibility:  that they miscalculated &/or rushed into quickly, especially Hicks, because they were desperate to beat DIC.You discount the 4th possibility:  that the credit crunch did indeed affect them.  Not by thwarting their non-existent intentions to build a stadium, but by making it much harder than they anticipated to get a long term loan on favourable rates when their emergency 12 month loan expired in Jan 08.You discount the 5th possibility.  That they might even turn out to be right.  Maybe they can sell us for a lot more than they paid.  I dont think so at all.  But I have rarely, if ever, seen any newspaper articles which say "Liverpool Football Club,  valued at around £220m..."  The figures quoted are always £350m, £400m, £500m, £600m, £800m.   The newspapers are wrong, IMHO.  We arent worth those sums.  My point is simply that G&H have succeeded, by their lies and bluster, in getting the media to write the story that they, G&H, want written.Question for you.Do you believe that G&H tried to sell the club, or part of it, in 2007?  In 2008?  In 2009?  In 2010?If so, do you agree that they have always demanded that the buyer pays a price which is far higher than the price that they, G&H, paid?  And that they (or TH at least) have always referred to the potential profit to be made from LFC with a new stadium as justification for the high price sought?I completely agree, btw, that Rhone was the only offer which is confirmed and genuine.  But my question is whether you believe that G&H were trying to sell or not.  Not whether they found the sucker they were hoping to find.

Jack, we are not as far apart as your questions imply.

G&H have had dozens of failures, it’s part of what they do. They either milk successful businesses dry, or deny failing purchases more cash. That is not stupid, it is smart.

Could they have miscalculated their purchase of Liverpool? Yes. And I think that is at least part of their problems.

The evidence is overwhelmingly that they intended to build a new stadium, and that has been well documented. Of course it is possible that really they didn’t, but no evidence exists for that. We disagree.

I agree that the Credit Crunch hit them, made the Stadium project unviable and also hit their prospects of long term loans.

I do not discount the possibility that over time the value of LFC will increase, indeed I suspect that is the reason why they are hanging on to us so tightly. I also agree that the Club has been up for sale from the moment they bought it, if a buyer was able to pay a acceptable premium, new stadium or not.

So the only thing we disagree on is the new stadium. Others can make their minds up on the basis of the evidence. Our cases are well stated previously.

More generally, their tactics on alleged sale prices has mystified me. The circumstantial evidence is overwhelmingly of owners under pressure. Their unrealistic pitch on value though does not reflect that. The argument that you start high and  come down is not good enough. If you pitch your price too high genuine buyers will not think you are serious.

So, are G&H hoping to price buyers out of the market, really intending to sit tight? Or are they just making a pigs ear of the sale? I really don’t know. Thoughts?
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:40 am »

G&H have had dozens of failures, it’s part of what they do. They either milk successful businesses dry, or deny failing purchases more cash. That is not stupid, it is smart.

Could they have miscalculated their purchase of Liverpool? Yes. And I think that is at least part of their problems.

The evidence is overwhelmingly that they intended to build a new stadium, and that has been well documented. Of course it is possible that really they didn’t, but no evidence exists for that. We disagree.

I agree that the Credit Crunch hit them, made the Stadium project unviable and also hit their prospects of long term loans.

I do not discount the possibility that over time the value of LFC will increase, indeed I suspect that is the reason why they are hanging on to us so tightly. I also agree that the Club has been up for sale from the moment they bought it, if a buyer was able to pay a acceptable premium, new stadium or not.

So the only thing we disagree on is the new stadium. Others can make their minds up on the basis of the evidence. Our cases are well stated previously.

More generally, their tactics on alleged sale prices has mystified me. The circumstantial evidence is overwhelmingly of owners under pressure. Their unrealistic pitch on value though does not reflect that. The argument that you start high and  come down is not good enough. If you pitch your price too high genuine buyers will not think you are serious.

So, are G&H hoping to price buyers out of the market, really intending to sit tight? Or are they just making a pigs ear of the sale? I really don’t know. Thoughts?

Given that Broughton was appointed with the sole remit of selling the club, & considering G&H's track record whilst being 'custodians' of our club I'd say it was pretty clearly the latter.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2010, 11:44:20 am »

So, are G&H hoping to price buyers out of the market, really intending to sit tight? Or are they just making a pigs ear of the sale? I really dont know. Thoughts?

I thought the same about the stadium, up to recently.  But if you look at Corinthians and the Texas Rangers Hicks seems to follow the same modus operandi.

Borrow the money to buy the club

Promise investment - Stadium for Corinthians & Liverpool, redevelopment around rangers ballpark
Buy big name players initially

Rack up debts - in the sale of corinthians he mortgaged the future transfer rights of the players (makes you wonder what security the Kop Holdings Cayman loan has and why they cant promise to reinvest money from players sales!)

His real play is for property and asset sale

Split the organisation into various companies to facilitate an exit and safeguard himself

Leave with bags of money in his pocket and leave chaos behind.  Note- Leaving chaos behind is not his plan, just co-lateral damage.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2010, 04:33:36 pm »

The evidence is overwhelming that they said they were going to build a stadium. There is no evidence that they actually intended to build one.

The stadium was designed and permission in place to start building when they took over.

They brought in their own designers and allowed them to charge a ridiculous sum to re-design the stadium. Where those sums went nobody knows but its clearly not on the stadium. So is this the only clear evidence?

The more obvious truth is the Liverpool can be sold with a lot less grief and far less risk
for the owners on the promise of a stadium than actually trying to build one.

Hicks would only ever have built a stadium with somebody else's money - there is clear evidence of that - he's never had that money - so how can he ever have intended to build one?

He's a sham - his intent purely to hike up the price and then move on - Gillet I think would have taken a small profit and gone - Hicks is a different breed.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »
I just hope the power is with the banks and with Broughton, if its still G&H then this could have years to run. Can someone explain what is meant by mortgaged the future transfer rights of the players please?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:13:22 pm by J Molby »
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »
As above.

Good post X1 especially in that it brings a focus on some of the key points – though again I’m not sure why nobody else seems prepared to take a stab like myself – beyond gentle hints in that direction - as to what the pair have already bled out on the back of the club.

I think it depends which aspect of the purchase you’re referring to.

Miscalculated the depth of mistrust, antagonism and hostility? Yes. I’m sure they will not have expected to find themselves quite so accountable for their actions or lack thereof. I think disdain and contempt for others is so engrained within their psyche and modus operandi that they feel they can get away with virtually anything without being questioned by those they regard as merely the plebs they are milking.

Miscalculated the profitability? No. I don’t think so. In line with what I’ve posted I really do believe they have been able to profit quite handsomely so far from the surplus loan and the increased turnover. I don’t mind being shown that I’m wrong on this. But so far nobody has been able to explain why as a club we’ve been acting as if we’re borrassic for the last 2 years or so [since the heel dragging over the Barry signing] yet a quick take on the overall loan monies and the increased turnover reveals the exact opposite. We should have been able to at least have afforded some quality playing additions without compensating quality playing resources  heading out in the opposite direction. But no such quality ADDITIONS to the overall playing strength/depth have arrived.

...the Credit Crunch hit them, made the Stadium project unviable and also hit their prospects of long term loans.

I looked back through the timescales on this and it looks as if you’re right about the timing of the credit crunch. But only in so far as the chronology of it ties in with the way things turned out. So I will hold up my hands on that score.

However, thinking back as to why I feel so definite in my own mind as to why the use of the credit crunch was more of a convenient excuse as distinct from a genuine reason for their failure/inability to proceed with the stadium.

I do admit it did have me a bit confused on it for a while because there’s no doubt that the credit crunch does have relevance to the feasibility of any such projects.

However, the more I reflected so the true picture began to re-emerge in my mind. The reason I and those who followed the events closely at the time they evolved became so firmly convinced that no matter what posturing they perfected they never had really genuine intention of providing us with the new stadium that their architect’s had seduced us all with.

It was to do with the monetary numbers simply not adding up. Neither their original [admittedly stunning and exciting] design nor its moderately scaled down – yet still stunning – version could be made to come anywhere near to stacking up financially. They were white elephants as individual projects in their own right their own right, let alone within the context of the entire H&G financial model for LFC.

I’m not going to dredge up all the costs but I think I’m right in saying that the figures talked about for the original design were over £500 million – a figure some reliable old school QS buddy of mine looked closely into at the time and was able to confirm – and the scaled down version over £400 million. So even at pre-credit crunch interest rates/money availability [which was still about when the designs first emerged to wow everyone] the short and long term interest/capital debt of their stadium design had - even when viewed alone - priced itself beyond the realms of feasibility.

When viewed in the context of the huge loan already taken out to purchase the club and the club's previous debt the ability to afford such interest charges and run the club as a going concern simply didn’t exist. In fact, it was probably something around £40 million per annum away from being able to do so.

The fact was the credit crunch was nothing more than a convenient smokescreen that H&G have deployed since as its global implications for the financing of construction projects has hit home. The crazy thing is that they’ve spouted it so many times that they themselves now appear to believe it actually carries credibility and that it was the reason the project never went ahead. It seems too, X1 – and believe me I do say this with respect – that there are now many decent Reds who have also lapsed into believing it. I’m delighted to have conveyed the reality to dispel the myth without attempting to score any childish points on the matter.   

I agree with this. They seem to have got the room to manoeuvre for the foreseeable future in that by limiting the annual expenditure so that it falls within income – which may involve asset stripping of certain top players – they can carry on bleeding us as they await the arrival of a buyer beguiled by the name and reputation of LFC who is prepared to go that little bit further towards meeting their ridiculous pricing demands than anybody else to date.

The RBS/Barclay role in all this – I have formed absolutely no opinion on despite all the fabulous posts and info from the likes of yourself, Jack, manila, Titch et alia
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:23:32 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2010, 11:24:23 pm »
What hasn't been calculated into the equation is. The last time we had a Tory primeminister after a failed Labour goverment. The interest rate went up as far as 15%, running at 10 % for long periods, years infact. What will be the outcome if this lot do simular? Makes one wonder!

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2010, 12:14:53 am »
What hasn't been calculated into the equation is. The last time we had a Tory primeminister after a failed Labour goverment. The interest rate went up as far as 15%, running at 10 % for long periods, years infact. What will be the outcome if this lot do simular? Makes one wonder!

The interest rate is controlled by the bank of england now...

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2010, 01:43:15 am »
I think the plan was to build the stadia(certainly from GG's point of view).They soon realised they come suck as much as possilbe for the club in various costs rbs can't stop them.then they put a stupid figure on the club and if it sells great stuff they are up huge.If not they can continue the suck as much as possible.if Rbs pull the plug the bank will sell the club and that shuold help cover some of the personal(110) liability the two put in(am i right in saying if rbs take over it would be kop holding they would take and they would then have to pay the caymen group the loan back if the club was sold...hence offsetting the personal liabilities the two made.)
Jack is this wrong.
Can Rbs take the club over without having to pay the caymaen group.As i see it they would hve to pay the group.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2010, 02:13:54 am »
The interest rate is controlled by the bank of england now...

This is significant agreed.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Twitch

• Boys Pen
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2010, 08:20:36 am »
Having said that, AFAIK, the headlines have misrepresented the actual quotes.  At one time TH said he would get back 4 times his investment.  Even leaving aside all jokes about 4 times 0 = 0, TH didnt say what his investment was.  He didnt say that LFC would be sold for £600m to £800m.  Indeed, a short time later, he apparently said he was angry that his remarks had been portrayed in that way.  Later, he said to SSN, that he did think that £600m to £800m would be a fair price  (can't blame him for that.  No seller is going to talk down the price) BUT he said [/i]"the market is the market"[/i].  That last bit is the most significant comment of all.  There's no denying that it is an exact quote, because we have heard the audio recording.  It is a fairly unambiguous acknowledgment that the price is negotiable.  (Regardless of who negotiates on the seller's behalf).

Or it could be a statement to convince the banks that he intends to sell when in reality he has no such intention.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2010, 10:47:30 am »
Jack S.

Any reason why you're not making any comment on the points I'm hammering about the very real possibility of quite handsome profitability of the club since G&H took over? That is, as distinct from the prevailing image of abject poverty that we have all been impregnated with for so long.

I'm not arsed if I'm right or wrong regarding this aspect as the only thing that matters to me is trying to gain the maximum understanding about what has been going on.

So - if you think it's bollocx then please do say so - and explain why you think it is bollox. Or vice versa.

Cheers mate.

;D

In essence I guess if what I'm saying has any credibility then the sole reason for the closer RBS involvement is that they [RBS] want to see more of that profitability directed back towards RBS via managed repayment of the overall capital debt rather than H&G's back pocket and NOT because we're struggling to cover payment of the interest on that borrowed capital debt. 

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2010, 11:33:06 am »
He may try to shaft the banks.  (cf Texas Rangers).

But trying, and sucdeeding, are 2 different things.

Either the banks are insisting on a sale, or they arent.  (I think they are).

If the banks are insisting on a sale, then they arent going to stop inisting just because Hicks says  "Well I wanted £800m and no-one offered that; so the sale is off."

Whereas if the banks are not insisting on a sale, then Hicks can ask for whatever amount he wants, and the banks wont care.

Thanks jack.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2010, 11:54:23 am »
That's my point.......etc
Jack, how I enjoy your posts.

We agree that G&H could have misjudged the financial realities of buying LFC. I believe that the payback at LFC was in the capital growth in value that would have resulted from a new stadium. You believe that they simply hoped it would increase in value. It’s a view.

You are correct that generally turning around failing businesses offers the greatest profit – and risk.LFC was not a failing business. On and off the park it was outperforming the stadia size. So why buy it? To build a new stadium and increase its capital value.

At their peak G&H’s collective wealth was valued at $2.5bn by Forbes. Forbes may be rubbish, that figure may have been overstated by  a factor of 1, 2, 3,4 times. I don’t know. But factually they had made a lot of money, how? By getting it right financially more often than they got it wrong. That some , or many, of their acquisitions failed is irrelevant. The result is the result.

It is simply not true to say that G&H’s business model is not to milk successes, and allow failures to fail. That is not incompatible with the fact that a failure may cost them money. The point is they do not throw good money after bad .

They did say they wanted to build a new stadium. A new stadium would have generated  significantly enhanced cash flow (which they love because they can siphon it off)and improved capital values. They did reappraise the original scheme and spent money on getting a consent for it in very quick time. Four months to application, 12 months to consent is VERY good going for a major project. The old scheme was not "oven ready".

Now I accept they could have lied. You may feel that the improved revenues  and capital values from new / redeveloped stadia at Old Trafford/ Emirates/ Bayern Munich are a “blip” and unrepresentative, I don’t. Your call. The £45m allegedly attributed to stadium development costs are unexplained and outrageous.

I specifically said that I believe that the Club has been up for sale since the day G&H acquired us if an acceptable profit to G&H existed. That is not inconsistent with believing that they thought  that significant profit was to be had from a building a new stadium.

is it more likely that they believed, pre-takeover, that they could sell the club for much more than £220m a short time afterwards?  Or is it more likely, that pre-takeover, they believed that there was no chance of getting more than £220m without a new stadium; BUT then the credit crunch hit and they suddenly decided that the value of LFC had shot up, and it was worth asking for hundreds of millions of pounds?

Neither is true. It is more likely that they bought the club hoping to grow the capital value with a new stadium. The credit crunch wrecked not only their stadium plans but also weakened their entire business empire with revenues and values falling – and they have been holding on ever since.

I don’t think that Hicks's media comments have any relevance at all, because it is BarCap who is seeking buyers, and discussing numbers with interested parties.  It is Broughton who is the conduit between BarCap and RBS, and who will (probably) be the face of LFC in any sit down talks with serious bidders.No potential buyer needs pay attention to Hicks's remarks, and BarCap will make that clear.

This is simply wrong. Hicks ( and Gillet) still own the club. They say what deal they will or will not take. Barcap are simply messenger boys.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:57:15 am by xerxes1 »
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2010, 12:56:04 pm »
But X1

Neither of their schemes stacked up financially in the context of their situation with LFC mainly because they'd already borrowed to purchase us.

The notion of increasing revenue to unprcedented amounts via the income from a new stadium was great. But only as a notion. problem was it was never going to stack up. It was many millions - possibly £40 million per annum - from so doing. Simple fact is it was pie in the sky to beguile us.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2010, 03:58:16 pm »
Neither of their schemes stacked up financially in the context of their situation with LFC

I agree that none of their schemes ever stacked up financially. They did their due diligence in no time at all.

Hicks seemed to be motivated soley by the potential for capital gain and he thought that could be achieved simply by increasing revenue. He said as much. If LFC could get their revenues up to that of an NFL team then they would have a comparable market value. It's true that there are people who think that the value of an enterprise can be expressed in multiples of revenue or EBITDA. It's also true that these tend to be the same people who screwed up the world economy.

I think they intended to build a stadium as that would have increased revenues and, according to Hicks, the market value of the club. I don't think the amount of any additional debt concerned them as they never felt any personal responsibility for it. I also agree with Timbo that a new stadium would probably do little more than pay for itself. We get seduced by Man United's extra £50M but forget that they averaged more than the capacity of our "new stadium". The interest and principal repayments would swallow up the majority of additional income.

I would like to see the accounts for the years of G&H ownership as an increase of about £130M in total debt wouldn't surprise me (without knowing how that debt is distributed between RBS, Kop Cayman and Uncle Tom Cobbley...). As I recall, we've lost about £30M, £40M and £50M since they took us over - so around £100M. The stadium design may well have accounted for $50M of cash which wouldn't have impacted the losses. On the other hand, you can subtract £10M for the write-off of previous design costs (as these would have no impact on cash). That would take us into the ballpark of the increase. We don't know enough about other cash movements without seeing the full accounts.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2010, 04:21:27 pm »
Quite interesting doing research for something atm: back in February the Independent said that if they didn't secure 100m of investment RBS would insist the club is sold this summer, with a resulting fire sale of players. The first part of that report has come true...

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2010, 05:52:55 pm »
Neither of their schemes stacked up financially in the context of their situation with LFC mainly because they'd already borrowed to purchase us.

The notion of increasing revenue to unprcedented amounts via the income from a new stadium was great. But only as a notion. problem was it was never going to stack up. It was many millions - possibly £40 million per annum - from so doing. Simple fact is it was pie in the sky to beguile us.

I don't accept that, pre-credit crunch, they could not have borrowed to get the stadium purchased. That's just an opinion which I cannot prove, in the same way that they couldnt also cannot be proved.

A new stadium was likely to generate between £30m-£37m extra matchday income per season.Naming rights may have generated up to £100m. So a Special Purchase Vehicle ( a new company formed to own and build the stadium) may only have needed to borrow £200m of the £300m build cost with an extra £30m-£37m a season to pay for it. That is manageable. Now of course you can argue the toss on the specific figures, but the principle demonstrates that it was do able.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2010, 07:28:47 pm »
I don't accept that, pre-credit crunch, they could not have borrowed to get the stadium purchased. That's just an opinion which I cannot prove, in the same way that they couldnt also cannot be proved.

A new stadium was likely to generate between £30m-£37m extra matchday income per season.Naming rights may have generated up to £100m. So a Special Purchase Vehicle ( a new company formed to own and build the stadium) may only have needed to borrow £200m of the £300m build cost with an extra £30m-£37m a season to pay for it. That is manageable. Now of course you can argue the toss on the specific figures, but the principle demonstrates that it was do able.

yeah but the build cost of their fabulous looking stadium was over £500 million not £300 million. Nothing will ever convince me they ever had any intention of building it. Certainly not the one they beguiled us with.

I take on board your point at the figure of £300 million with naming rights. But not the £500 million design. Don't forget by the time your additional stadium revenue begins to roll in on a scheme of that expense you've already incurred an additional £125 million or so in interest charges financing the construction. And then, based upon the sort of profit margins the appear to be seeking even now they'd have been looking for over a billion pounds in a sale of the club with that new stadium. NO FUCKIN WAY jose were they ever going to build.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:50:36 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2010, 07:39:24 pm »
I agree that none of their schemes ever stacked up financially. They did their due diligence in no time at all.

Hicks seemed to be motivated soley by the potential for capital gain and he thought that could be achieved simply by increasing revenue. He said as much. If LFC could get their revenues up to that of an NFL team then they would have a comparable market value. It's true that there are people who think that the value of an enterprise can be expressed in multiples of revenue or EBITDA. It's also true that these tend to be the same people who screwed up the world economy.

I think they intended to build a stadium as that would have increased revenues and, according to Hicks, the market value of the club. I don't think the amount of any additional debt concerned them as they never felt any personal responsibility for it. I also agree with Timbo that a new stadium would probably do little more than pay for itself. We get seduced by Man United's extra £50M but forget that they averaged more than the capacity of our "new stadium". The interest and principal repayments would swallow up the majority of additional income.

I would like to see the accounts for the years of G&H ownership as an increase of about £130M in total debt wouldn't surprise me (without knowing how that debt is distributed between RBS, Kop Cayman and Uncle Tom Cobbley...). As I recall, we've lost about £30M, £40M and £50M since they took us over - so around £100M. The stadium design may well have accounted for $50M of cash which wouldn't have impacted the losses. On the other hand, you can subtract £10M for the write-off of previous design costs (as these would have no impact on cash). That would take us into the ballpark of the increase. We don't know enough about other cash movements without seeing the full accounts.

I take your point about needing to see the 'fund movenment figures' you mentioned in an earlier post MV.  But don't you think there's something not stacking up. Not just marginally but very dramatically. Possibly approaching the huge amounts I've highlighted already in previous posts.

No way can any of the losses you've quoted be genuine over their tenure. No fuckin way. 

Specifically regarding the stadium design. There simply hasn't been enough design work done on all the schemes put together to justify a total fee of greater than £5 million even if the birdbrains [including Moores and Parry] have agreed to compensate professionals for loss of potential earnings/profit - and even including all the compulsory purchases. i work in the industry so i know the score as to what is justified costs.

The initial Parry Moores cost was likely mainly a tax scam and there is not the slightest shadow of doubt that the H&G figure circa £50 million is too.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2010, 09:58:44 pm »
yeah but the build cost of their fabulous looking stadium was over £500 million not £300 million. Nothing will ever convince me they ever had any intention of building it. Certainly not the one they beguiled us with..

The Emirates, in central London, cost £390m. I do not accept that a 60,000 seater ( which I think is too small) could not have been built for £350m- £300m.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2010, 09:59:34 pm »
Found this elsewhere. Very relevant to the initial section of the the thread.

Evidently it is what someone sees as the possible scenerio, though I'm not sure how much of it is opinion and how much is informed.

Rafa was forced out - his position was made untenable.

Purslow was instrumental in forcing him out.

The owners gave their backing to Purslow in forcing Rafa out.

Broughton comes in once a week - so he is at best a mediator in any board discussion, with his impressions largely shaped by the media. So he basically facilitated Rafa being forced out.

Basically - Rafa loved Liverpool and would have made it very difficult for the management to carry out their agenda. As I see it he saw the following scenario:

(1) G and H would not sell the club unless they got an offer of about 700 million. This would allow them to make a profit of about 250 million.

(2) If they could not get what they wanted for the club as is, they would force a sale of several top players - Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano, Reina etc - all in all collecting about 150-200 million with which they could pay down a huge chunk of the debt. Also the annual wage cost would go down drastically. So the remaining debt would become serviceable. Of course the value of the club would go down - but they expect that a club of Liverpool's stature and history, would have a premium on its value anyway - so with a serviceable debt, they could easily still ask for 400 million from a buyer, and still make a profit of about 250 million.

So either way they think they can sell the club, with option (2) being the more likely option - meaning Liverpool will be stripped of it's assets, become a mid-table club in the short term, with a so-so manager at the helm, and still be sold for about 400 million. After that it will be up to the new owners to turn things around - G and H will ride off with the profits and would not have to care less, Purslow and Broughton would get their cut of the sale and disappear. So all in all, Liverpool taking at least 3 years or more to be competitive again - with new owners.

Rafa saw it, tried to fight these STDs and was effectively kicked out. He loved the club and still loves the club, but now has Inter Milan to occupy his mind.

We the loyal fans, on the other hand will have to suffer a long and painful journey down the slippery slope that the  current management are gradually forcing the club to take.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2010, 10:09:40 pm »
Found this elsewhere. Very relevant to the initial section of the the thread. Evidently it is what someone sees as the possible scenerio, though I'm not sure how much of it is opinion and how much is informed, etc......................

The blaming and scapegoating of Broughton and Purslow is becoming tedious and embarrassing. The ownership and financial situation had made Rafa's job impossible. Does anyone think that he wanted to hang around with gormless owners who want to, but cant sell the club , a board with a knowledge of footaball which would be trumped by the average 13 yo in their bedroom playing Chamionship Manager, and no  money?

How stupid do some people think Rafa is? Oh and by the way the managers job at the reigning CL Champions with an experienced Board and a decent transfer pot is available.....................

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »
I fear that summation by Timbo unfortunately will prove to be entirely accurate.  It's been on the cards since shortly after these two took over.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2010, 10:17:21 pm »
The blaming and scapegoating of Broughton and Purslow is becoming tedious and embarrassing.

What positives have they brought?  And given one of Purslow's core outputs was to secure investment by Easter (his words) should he really remain in post?  Given that he's failed.

Bit early to judge Broughton as he stated 6 months like, but really, what positives do any of the two of them bring to Liverpool Football Club?

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »
What positives have they brought?  And given one of Purslow's core outputs was to secure investment by Easter (his words) should he really remain in post?  Given that he's failed.Bit early to judge Broughton as he stated 6 months like, but really, what positives do any of the two of them bring to Liverpool Football Club?
None that I can think of. But they are simply G&H's pawns. Let's get our focus right.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2010, 10:26:26 pm »
None that I can think of. But they are simply G&H's pawns. Let's get our focus right.

The fact that they are pawns of the owners surely legitimises any action against them?  The owners sit 6k miles away and don't stick their heads up.  But these two cnuts are paid pawns. 

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2010, 10:31:10 pm »
The fact that they are pawns of the owners surely legitimises any action against them?  The owners sit 6k miles away and don't stick their heads up.  But these two cnuts are paid pawns. 
It's a view, but doing away with footsoldiers who are easly replaced won't make much difference.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2010, 10:32:47 pm »
It's a view, but doing away with footsoldiers who are easly replaced won't make much difference.

Yeah but keeping quiet and letting them get on with pursuing the owners agenda will be much worse.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »

but this completely misses the point

they could have done a lot of things but where is the evidence that they intended to other than the words of two repeatedly proven liars?

the club is worth more to hicks with a potential stadium than with him attempting to build one

the apalling scam he has undertaken at the rangers about the parking lot is a disgrace - it may be legal although thats still being challenged but it shows him for what he is - I'm sure he's attempting to do somethiong similar with Stanley park - he wants the money for a stadium that hasn't even been built

hicks has never intended to put any money in - its an anathema to him - its not the way he operates -

building a stadium is risky - look at wembley

Liverpool was massively under developed commercially - Hicks himself stated that were we had one sponsor we should have had 10 - there was a massive TV deal coming along - there was and still is talk of huge international tv deals in the offing - his whole modus operandi is to identify underpriced companies move in leverage up the price and walk away with a massive profit

he's screwed up in sports because they eat money - its not easy to maintain turnover without investing on the playing side and even if you do there is always luck and the opposition investing more -as Robert Kraft said without a control on costs its just unworkable- Hicks got lucky with LFC - a truly gullible owner, and a massively underdeveloped company and he's still fucking it up - if he's spent 20 million last summer - we'd probably have finished 2nd again, made the CL and the anti H&G movement would have been stalled - instead he was cheap didn't invest and now its costing him a lot more - he's an idiot and a rubbish business man

just because he's rich doesn't make him smart - frankly with the 'friends' he has and his complete lack of morals if he wasn't rich he'd be dead.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2010, 10:37:49 pm »
frankly with the 'friends' he has and his complete lack of morals if he wasn't rich he'd be dead.

If only

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2010, 10:55:28 pm »
they could have done a lot of things but where is the evidence that they intended to other than the words of two repeatedly proven liars?
A new stadium would have generated  significantly enhanced cash flow (which they love because they can siphon it off)and improved capital values. They did reappraise the original scheme and spent money on getting a consent for it in very quick time. Four months to application, 12 months to consent is VERY good going for a major project. The old scheme was not "oven ready".

the club is worth more to hicks with a potential stadium than with him attempting to build one

Not true.They havent had a single confirmed offer that even matches what they paid for the club (Rhone's was a part bid) as it stands. A 60,000 seater stadium would have significantly improved revenue streams and the clubs capital value.

hicks has never intended to put any money in - its an anathema to him - its not the way he operates -
Not true. Hicks and Haas invested shrewdly in Dr Pepper and 7 up, they did pump money into those brands converting $88m in, into $1.3bn out.
Liverpool was massively under developed commercially - Hicks himself stated that were we had one sponsor we should have had 10 - there was a massive TV deal coming along - there was and still is talk of huge international tv deals in the offing - his whole modus operandi is to identify underpriced companies move in leverage up the price and walk away with a massive profit

But LFC, relative to stadium size was performing well on and off the pitch. Despite the commercial improvements you mention they have yet to be offered a penny more than they paid for the club. We were not underpriced, DIC saw to that.The area that we were underperforming in was the stadium.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2010, 10:58:04 pm »

Despite the commercail improvements you mention they have yet to be offered a penny more than they paid for the club.

What did they pay for the club?  I mean, what cash did they pay personally, excluding the loans?

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2010, 11:02:48 pm »
What did they pay for the club?  I mean, what cash did they pay personally, excluding the loans?

I don't think that you have been paying attention over the past three years..........................................

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2010, 11:06:34 pm »
I don't think that you have been paying attention over the past three years..........................................

So enlighten me then

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2010, 11:30:17 pm »
This is a serious thread.If you don't know. Look it up.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2010, 11:37:18 pm »
Do the tabloids read these forums? even they are hinting at asset stripping.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »
Xerxes - At least go to the bother of quoting if you're answering a post.

You made the claim that the owners have never been offered what they paid for the club.  I'm trying to find out what this amount was that they personally paid.  Given that all the loans are being repaid by LFC revenues. 

I'm well aware of the history of this thread and indeed others like it.  I have never read anything which categorically states what the owners personal contribution was to the buy out.  Oh there have been some figures mentioned, but nothing concrete that I know of.

As you claim to know of this amount I was simply interested to find out what it was, and in effect you also know that no potential buyer has offered them in excess of this amount that they personally put into the club.

So you obviously know a hell of a lot more than me.  I'm simply asking what these amounts are;

1.  What personal contribution they put in
2. What the value of offers to buy the club have been given that you stated they've been below the level of personal investment which the owners have put in.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:41:44 pm by TSC »