Author Topic: 70,000 seats my arse  (Read 368058 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: 70,000 seats my arse
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2010, 10:20:52 am »

Stay at Anfield and expand.

More pies?...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2010, 10:21:01 am »

It's not gonna happen

hoonin

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2010, 10:24:03 am »

3    Barcelona            73,913    Camp Nou     

If that's accurate then Barca averaged around 25,000 EMPTY seats. Cant be right, can it?

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2010, 10:27:58 am »
If that's accurate then Barca averaged around 25,000 EMPTY seats. Cant be right, can it?

Thats right mate.

Apart from the big games Barca dont sell out on a regular basis.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2010, 10:29:39 am »
and they are increasing there capacity 15,000 more to 113,000!!

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2010, 10:38:18 am »
and they are increasing there capacity 15,000 more to 113,000!!

They'll fill it....I'd say about 5-7 times a season.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:57 am »
Part of the problem some people have is believing that they can't get a ticket so why bother trying.

Nice to see someone talking sense.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:43:50 am by redprodigal »

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:00 am »

Oh yeah, that'll solve all our problems.

hoonin

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2010, 10:51:46 am »
Thats right mate.

Apart from the big games Barca dont sell out on a regular basis.

Wow.

There were a lot of empty seats in the upper sections when I went years ago, but surprised they only avg 74K. 'Only' :P

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:16 am »
Anybody who even thinks about building a 70,000 plus capacity stadium will have guarantees that permission will be granted before they start the build. If it means upgrading the infrastructure then they will take into account the cost of this. So if permission is granted and they can afford the cost then they will go ahead. You do not need to guarantee a full house every week to justify a stadium this size. As it's been said, if we are a successful team (by that I mean challenging for honours up to the final stages of the two main competitions) then most weekend games will be full to capacity or very near. Even now, after we are out of the running for those two comps and have played shite boring football for most of the season, our weekend games have been sold out, and earlier in the season when we were still in contention for fourth place and still in the ECL the demand for tickets was huge and in a bigger stadium the tickets will become freely available to those who want to go. The difference in cost between having 60,000 and 70,000 capacity will surely soon be recuperated by the increased number of seats and corporate packages if we get investment in the team so I don't see what the issue is.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2010, 09:13:38 pm »
But whats stupid about the yanks plans are they plan on leaving 1 stand half built until they have permission to build up to 73,000!

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2010, 09:35:04 pm »
70,000 might work if they had plans on other potential uses I suppose. If we get things right on the pitch more people will come.

Now, whether or not its the 70,000 full capacity  every day game I doubt it. Especially with teams like Wolves and West Brom in the league.

You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2010, 10:50:35 pm »
But whats stupid about the yanks plans are they plan on leaving 1 stand half built until they have permission to build up to 73,000!

The plans showed the away end with only a small portion of the seats in, but the idea was that by the time the stadium was finished, the planning permission would have been granted for the larger capacity so this smaller capacity stadium would never actually happen. That, I think, was the idea they had.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2010, 10:59:16 pm »
The plans showed the away end with only a small portion of the seats in, but the idea was that by the time the stadium was finished, the planning permission would have been granted for the larger capacity so this smaller capacity stadium would never actually happen. That, I think, was the idea they had.

It's the idea but there are a whole host of reasons why we could end up with a joke of a stadium. It's been done that way because the American architects simply don't understand the way a "soccer" ground works.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:33 pm »
It's the idea but there are a whole host of reasons why we could end up with a joke of a stadium. It's been done that way because the American architects simply don't understand the way a "soccer" ground works.

What do you mean by a joke of a stadium Alan?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2010, 11:14:57 pm »
Apart from the stands sloping down towards the away end, the fact that we could end up with a 3,000 seater "away" end. If you're going to phase a project for construction reasons and you know you have the planning consents and cash to build it then you accept that the stadium looks daft during construction.

If you phase a project because there is doubt over planning or finance, you make sure the first phase still makes sense if the next phase doesn't go ahead.

What we've got is a design that takes the first approach when in fact our situation is the second.

It's just bad project planning.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2010, 11:45:22 pm »
Apart from the stands sloping down towards the away end, the fact that we could end up with a 3,000 seater "away" end. If you're going to phase a project for construction reasons and you know you have the planning consents and cash to build it then you accept that the stadium looks daft during construction.

If you phase a project because there is doubt over planning or finance, you make sure the first phase still makes sense if the next phase doesn't go ahead.

What we've got is a design that takes the first approach when in fact our situation is the second.

It's just bad project planning.

Don't mind the stands sloping away from the Kop, but the rest I agree with.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2010, 07:54:07 am »
check the other thread Alan ;)

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2010, 10:11:29 am »

Is it possible to rebuild a 60k seater at Anfield? Read in some thread that the club has bought houses - so its possible?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:14:12 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:12 am »
Apparently theres a design by an architect, that spoke with SOS at the Football Quarter, that says Anfield could be redeveloped with no reduction in capacity whilst it was done, and the architectural designs have been available. I'm not sure if it was for upgrading to 60,000 now, with  70,000 eventually.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:33 am »
If that was the case then where are the plans?

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2010, 11:08:55 am »

No idea. Maybe someone from SOS can dig them up. 

But I doubt/hope SOS wouldn't be calling up a bag of shite on a national sports radio debate if they didnt exist. I cant remember the guys name, but he didnt come across too well , not in a bad way, more of it sounded like he wasnt used to public speaking and seemed to be away in his own architectural world, instead of forcefully saying that there are existing feasible designs that allow Anfield to be expanded withouit losing existing capacity that have been overlooked/rejected/ignored.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:11:34 am by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2010, 11:31:20 am »

The trouble is that expanding Anfield's seats capacity is not the only thing that the club desires. It wants to expand the corporate boxes and hospitality suites and facilities by the power of X to match the mancs and Arsenal. That will be the great revenue generator for the new stadium.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2010, 03:23:03 pm »
Apparently theres a design by an architect, that spoke with SOS at the Football Quarter, that says Anfield could be redeveloped with no reduction in capacity whilst it was done, and the architectural designs have been available. I'm not sure if it was for upgrading to 60,000 now, with  70,000 eventually.
Would be worth considering if it's a feasible plan.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does anyone know roughly how many extra corporate boxes could be built in a redeveloped Main Stand/Anfield Rd end? The 'corporates revenue' issue is one of the valid arguments in favour of a new stadium (as is disruption during construction), but just wondering how big an issue it is. Surely demand for corporates could be met in a redeveloped Anfield? And if it can be done without disruption, and would be cheaper than a new stadium, and it meant us staying at our spiritual home, maybe it should at least be reconsidered.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2010, 05:37:09 pm »

Didn't see this posted anywhere else, apologies if it has been. Just saw it on the Liverpool pages of skyscrapercity.com

A presentation by someone from the architects firm HKS about the new stadium design.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dkc-nAclLg&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2dkc-nAclLg&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1</a>

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2010, 07:22:56 pm »

Didn't see this posted anywhere else, apologies if it has been. Just saw it on the Liverpool pages of skyscrapercity.com

A presentation by someone from the architects firm HKS about the new stadium design.
Very interesting that. Thanks for posting.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2010, 10:47:02 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dkc-nAclLg&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2dkc-nAclLg&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1</a>

Do you know when that presentation was Stussy?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »

I emailed him and he won't release them. Seems they're his designs not SOS and aren't for public consumption:

Peter McGurk. The plans have been there from him a lot longer than SOS has. Obviously we can push it, but we have to respect his wishes.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »
Do you know when that presentation was Stussy?

edited:

The video itself was posted on youtube 11 December 2009.

I googled his name and the college faculty which is at the start of the video and he gave a presentation at this University on December 8th 2009:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=207345593328

So it looks to be about 6 months ago. The fella who uploaded the video is a Red and I guess you could enquire further to him:

http://www.youtube.com/user/anfieldroaduk

Here he is, Bryan Tubey, talking about the Dallas Cowboys stadium which he also designed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ek-pAosmfLg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ek-pAosmfLg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1</a>

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:55:57 pm by Stussy »

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:13 pm »
The video itself was posted on youtube 11 December 2009.

I googled the name and institution he lectured at which is given at the start of the video and came up with this report of his presentation at the college which is only dated in the url as Spring 2008:

So it could be a full a couple of years back. I can only find one other trace of him giving a presentation at this University and that is from December 8th 2009:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=207345593328

So its either two years ago or about 6 months ago. The fella who uploaded the video is a Red and I guess you could enquire further to him:

http://www.youtube.com/user/anfieldroaduk

Here he is, Bryan Tubey, talking about the Dallas Cowboys stadium which he also designed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ek-pAosmfLg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ek-pAosmfLg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1</a>

Cheers mate.

Ever thought of opening The Stussy Detective Agency?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2010, 12:00:02 am »

They call me Phillip Marlowe on the mean streets where I come from Shanklyboy.

Amended my post though - the first article I quoted doesn't seem to have been a lecture, just an interview he gave, I only speed read it originally, so that is incorrect.

So it looks to certainly be from December 2009. Either something was brewing or he seems to have been as much in the loop as we are (ie clueless or was just bullshitted to by Hicks) when he says 'we're finally going to get our financing for Liverpool'

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2010, 11:20:51 am »
Interesting video, thanks for finding & posting that.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2010, 01:17:11 pm »
Have to agree with Alan F. 

I cant see us having a full 70,000 ground week in week out. I have never been convinced by the argument that we have xyz thousands on the waiting list, so it naturally follows that they will take up the tickets.

The waiting list is probably full of dead people anyway and some of our season ticket holders are aged 90+.

Perhaps the novalty of the first year or two will have a massive effect, but when things settle down, I very much doubt that we will average 50,000.

I too remember the glory days, empty seats in the Kemlyn and main stand except for the big games, European attendances were a joke, how many time did we see whole sections empty ? The Kop was hardly ever totally full, and we were the best team around.

Can any historians tell me when we had a capacity of 56,000 how many times did we reach 56,000 ? and how many times did the average exceed 50,000.

I know there are loads more OTT's but when was the last time we actually had a full house ? what is the average now ?

70,000 we are deluded

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2010, 02:04:03 pm »
then what do you want to build then? 55? Coz in my eyes thats just silly.I we are going to build a stadum surely we build it or 70k because i we are successul down the line it will get illed.And we dont want to be in the position of looking to increase the capacity of a newly built gound do we?
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2010, 03:17:36 pm »
then what do you want to build then? 55? Coz in my eyes thats just silly.I we are going to build a stadum surely we build it or 70k because i we are successul down the line it will get illed.And we dont want to be in the position of looking to increase the capacity of a newly built gound do we?

Silly ? Not really, look at the economics in the game now, the ever increasing costs of going to the match, the dependence on Sky for revenue that the clibs have. Its a recipe for disaster, why have 70,000 with the additional debt and interests when you not going to fill it ? I think 60 is more than enough.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2010, 03:18:21 pm »

While im more inclined to go for th 70,000 myself, it needs to be thought out sensibly.

What if we aint successful? What if we carry on as we are, fighting for 4th for the next 10 years? The top 4 doesnt change very often, and once your out its very hard to get back in, ask Leeds and Newcastle.

PS I think you need a new 'F' key on your keyboard.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »
While im more inclined to go for th 70,000 myself, it needs to be thought out sensibly.

What if we aint successful? What if we carry on as we are, fighting for 4th for the next 10 years? The top 4 doesnt change very often, and once your out its very hard to get back in, ask Leeds and Newcastle.

PS I think you need a new 'F' key on your keyboard.

He ucking does, doesn't he?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »
f! get in  ;D

Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2010, 12:53:57 pm »
Have to agree with Alan F. 

I cant see us having a full 70,000 ground week in week out. I have never been convinced by the argument that we have xyz thousands on the waiting list, so it naturally follows that they will take up the tickets.

The waiting list is probably full of dead people anyway and some of our season ticket holders are aged 90+.

Perhaps the novalty of the first year or two will have a massive effect, but when things settle down, I very much doubt that we will average 50,000.

I too remember the glory days, empty seats in the Kemlyn and main stand except for the big games, European attendances were a joke, how many time did we see whole sections empty ? The Kop was hardly ever totally full, and we were the best team around.

Can any historians tell me when we had a capacity of 56,000 how many times did we reach 56,000 ? and how many times did the average exceed 50,000.

I know there are loads more OTT's but when was the last time we actually had a full house ? what is the average now ?

70,000 we are deluded

We won't fill the ground every week to capacity but we don't need to, and as for the glory days, we have many more OOT supporters now and many more OOC fans also. Did you ever see Irish, Scandanavians and people from Asia in the seventies and eighties in the numbers you see these days? Our support has grown immensely in the last 20 years and if we became successful again (which the correct investment would hopefully bring) you would see a much greater demand for tickets.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2010, 03:21:38 pm »
We won't fill the ground every week to capacity but we don't need to, and as for the glory days, we have many more OOT supporters now and many more OOC fans also. Did you ever see Irish, Scandanavians and people from Asia in the seventies and eighties in the numbers you see these days? Our support has grown immensely in the last 20 years and if we became successful again (which the correct investment would hopefully bring) you would see a much greater demand for tickets.

Agree with that totally. But not just OOTs and OOCs, what about women? How many women went to watch football in the 70's and 80'? Im sure it was a lot less then go now.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.