Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 288658 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2520 on: July 1, 2021, 09:35:24 pm »
Swifts are going crazy above the house tonight. I loved 'em as a kid, but the older you get the more amazing they seem.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2521 on: July 2, 2021, 04:11:56 am »
Not into killing anything unless you intend to eat it, but reading up on Magpies and how they go into songbird nests and just kill the chicks or smash the eggs does make you think nah fuck em serves you right.

They've be been co-existing for many years, without seriously impacting numbers.

I can write a long list of things you can do to help wildlife, and killing magpies wouldn't be on there.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2522 on: July 2, 2021, 11:03:41 am »
Not into killing anything unless you intend to eat it, but reading up on Magpies and how they go into songbird nests and just kill the chicks or smash the eggs does make you think nah fuck em serves you right.

Yeah I'm with you and Chopper. Magpies were fairly rare when I was a lid. Would only see them we we went out to the canal at Lydiate fishing. Literally can't move for them now. Can't stand them...and noisy as fuck.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2523 on: July 2, 2021, 11:06:29 am »
We have tons of crows (as well as magpies) around at the moment. They’re also really noisy and obviously having some kind of turf war. Quite disconcerting most mornings, get woken up by something pattering about on the roof and at times sounding like someone trying to open a window! Don’t know if they’re nesting up there or something!

And the other day saw two large crowd and then a much smaller one, don’t often see young/juvenile ones around do you?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2524 on: July 2, 2021, 06:12:23 pm »
We have tons of crows (as well as magpies) around at the moment. They’re also really noisy and obviously having some kind of turf war. Quite disconcerting most mornings, get woken up by something pattering about on the roof and at times sounding like someone trying to open a window! Don’t know if they’re nesting up there or something!

And the other day saw two large crowd and then a much smaller one, don’t often see young/juvenile ones around do you?

We have seagulls living on the top of our work base and most of the time it sounds as though they have boots on they make so much noise when they moving about. There is one which seems to use a stone on something, as every now and then you hear bang, bang, bang going on. It's quite amusing at times as we can see the top of the roof through the ceiling so you
catch these legs shuffling about every now and then. I swear they are going to join us one day though.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 2, 2021, 06:16:38 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2525 on: July 2, 2021, 06:17:50 pm »
Swifts are going crazy above the house tonight. I loved 'em as a kid, but the older you get the more amazing they seem.

I used to love watching the swallows and swifts around Leasowe Lighthouse you used to get loads around there, loved watching them glide about on the breeze catching the insects as they soar about, wonderful birds.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2526 on: July 2, 2021, 06:30:39 pm »
We have seagulls living on the top of our work base and most of the time it sounds as though they have boots on they make so much noise when they moving about. There is one which seems to use a stone on something, as every now and then you hear bang, bang, bang going on. It's quite amusing at times as we can see the top of the roof through the ceiling so you
catch these legs shuffling about every now and then. I swear they are going to join us one day though.  ;D

We stay in a caravan at Haven Prestatyn about once a year and about 4am the seagulls land on the roof, the racket is ridiculous.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2527 on: July 2, 2021, 08:20:14 pm »
We stay in a caravan at Haven Prestatyn about once a year and about 4am the seagulls land on the roof, the racket is ridiculous.

Did they attack you rob? The first time we moved into our place when the chicks were around the men in our place were getting chased across the car park. But they just ignored the rest of us. I've never seen our guys move so quick.  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2528 on: July 2, 2021, 08:41:18 pm »
Did they attack you rob? The first time we moved into our place when the chicks were around the men in our place were getting chased across the car park. But they just ignored the rest of us. I've never seen our guys move so quick.  ;D

Luckily no, but we did see them did rob the food out of some kids hands though.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2529 on: July 2, 2021, 09:26:56 pm »
Stayed in a cottage in the middle of nowhere in Norfolk and last night I was walking down a lane at around 7pm and as I turned a corner I startled a huge pristine white owl about 10 foot in front of me and it flew off over me and I watched it fly gracefully about 500 metres low over a corn field. Massive slow wingspan. Fucking magic. I’ve seen all sorts of animals all over the world but that was really up there.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2530 on: July 2, 2021, 10:30:26 pm »
Stayed in a cottage in the middle of nowhere in Norfolk and last night I was walking down a lane at around 7pm and as I turned a corner I startled a huge pristine white owl about 10 foot in front of me and it flew off over me and I watched it fly gracefully about 500 metres low over a corn field. Massive slow wingspan. Fucking magic. I’ve seen all sorts of animals all over the world but that was really up there.

There's something magical about seeing a barn owl mate, it's something you'll never forget.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2531 on: July 2, 2021, 10:53:32 pm »
There's something magical about seeing a barn owl mate, it's something you'll never forget.

I don't like to pry when they're mating.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2532 on: July 3, 2021, 05:35:28 am »

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2533 on: July 3, 2021, 08:59:31 am »
I don't like to pry when they're mating.

Back of the net!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EPJEg6R3SM

I watched some of those and got recommended loads of videos of hawks and owls and sparrows etc bringing up their little brood. Was lovely. Unfortunately the algorithm has descended into 'WOODPECKER OBLITERATES BLUE TIT NEST' and 'KESTREL SWALLOWS ROBINS BABY WHILE SHE WATCHES IN HORROR'. Typical Youtube.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2021, 09:05:18 am by meady1981 »

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2534 on: July 3, 2021, 10:21:15 am »

Walk the pond at least three times a week. First time these three made an appearence. Within no time the flock of ducks was fighting off the corvids.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2535 on: July 4, 2021, 04:29:10 pm »
Went into the kitchen earlier to do tea and there's a sparrowhawk sat on the fence plucking a bluetit but couldn't get a good enough camera shot through the window to video it!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2536 on: July 4, 2021, 05:22:33 pm »
Went into the kitchen earlier to do tea and there's a sparrowhawk sat on the fence plucking a bluetit but couldn't get a good enough camera shot through the window to video it!

Shame you couldn't get that. Its brutal but fascinating at the same time.

One question, why are Wood Pigeons so stupid? Left the house at half 5 yesterday to go to work, end of our roads there are five of them walking down the road, they just bloody stood there like they wanted to be flattened. Then on the M1 I actually hit one, it flew out of the trees about 4 foot off the air, straight into lane one, then turns and tries to outrun the truck. Heard it bang on the front, but when I looked in the mirror I saw it flying up into the trees so I think it survived.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2537 on: July 4, 2021, 05:48:42 pm »
Shame you couldn't get that. Its brutal but fascinating at the same time.

One question, why are Wood Pigeons so stupid? Left the house at half 5 yesterday to go to work, end of our roads there are five of them walking down the road, they just bloody stood there like they wanted to be flattened. Then on the M1 I actually hit one, it flew out of the trees about 4 foot off the air, straight into lane one, then turns and tries to outrun the truck. Heard it bang on the front, but when I looked in the mirror I saw it flying up into the trees so I think it survived.

Some birds just are mate, pheasants are as bad.  We have loads round us and the stupid bastards just run along the road before finally flying off.

I got my phone but the zoom wasn't clear enough to get a good shot as it was slightly obscured by a rose bush. 

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2538 on: July 4, 2021, 07:12:39 pm »
Some birds just are mate, pheasants are as bad.  We have loads round us and the stupid bastards just run along the road before finally flying off.

I got my phone but the zoom wasn't clear enough to get a good shot as it was slightly obscured by a rose bush. 

Pheasants are a nightmare, especially betweem Formby and Hightown. A fella I used to know had £1500 worth of damage done to the fairings of his ZZR1100 when he hit one of the bloody things. One of the lads who worked for him went and collected the body and it was eaten for tea.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2539 on: July 4, 2021, 07:29:36 pm »
Pheasants are a nightmare, especially betweem Formby and Hightown. A fella I used to know had £1500 worth of damage done to the fairings of his ZZR1100 when he hit one of the bloody things. One of the lads who worked for him went and collected the body and it was eaten for tea.

That's the only good thing if you hit one and don't totally squish it.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2540 on: July 4, 2021, 08:11:49 pm »
My dad's mate's partner had a bad experience with a pheasant some years ago. It flew straight through her open window and into the car as she was driving. Luckily a serious accident was averted, but a really scary experience.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2541 on: July 5, 2021, 09:20:46 pm »
I posted on here a few weeks ago about a pair of mergansers on the estuary near us and today when we took the dogs down to the beach they've had babies 😁

About a dozen of them and probably only a few days old looking at the size of them.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2542 on: July 8, 2021, 10:07:34 am »
A question folks - we have an injured female blackbird (but not too badly injured - it seems to have a problem with standing on one of its legs, and it does seem to be in shock). It's not a fledgling. Am I right in thinking we should keep it in a covered cardboard box till it recovers?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2543 on: July 8, 2021, 10:33:39 am »
A question folks - we have an injured female blackbird (but not too badly injured - it seems to have a problem with standing on one of its legs, and it does seem to be in shock). It's not a fledgling. Am I right in thinking we should keep it in a covered cardboard box till it recovers?

Somewhere safe and quiet is fine but not for too long as she'll more than likely have young somewhere needing feeding.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2544 on: July 8, 2021, 10:46:59 am »
I saw a white headed blackbird in our garden as I left for work this morning.
It flew out of the tree where we have some bird feeders, and stopped on top of the fence for about 3 seconds, so I got a good look at it.
I'll keep an eye out for it in future and try to get a picture.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2545 on: July 8, 2021, 10:47:58 am »
Somewhere safe and quiet is fine but not for too long as she'll more than likely have young somewhere needing feeding.

She seems to have quietly passed away, sadly.  :(
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2546 on: July 8, 2021, 10:54:25 am »

Awe no 😔 blackbirds don't cope with shock very well, bless her.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2547 on: July 8, 2021, 10:55:59 am »
I saw a white headed blackbird in our garden as I left for work this morning.
It flew out of the tree where we have some bird feeders, and stopped on top of the fence for about 3 seconds, so I got a good look at it.
I'll keep an eye out for it in future and try to get a picture.

There are albino blackbirds and occasionally you do get them where they're not fully white like the one you saw but well done spotting it as they're quite rare.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2548 on: July 8, 2021, 10:57:28 am »
Little story from last week. Our neighbours found four ducklings hiding under a car and a bit panicked. No sign of mummy duck anywhere. After quite a bit of deliberation and no sign of an adult duck appearing they took them in. One escaped and ran off into some dense bushes where we know foxes live. Not ideal. One died overnight but the RSPB came and took the others away and rehoused them at the Wetlands Centre. They sent a picture of the two of them nestled in with another mother and family of ducklings.

Quite a nice little story, can’t imagine they’d have lasted too long on their own.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2549 on: July 8, 2021, 09:26:25 pm »

Aww, that is sad.  :(

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2550 on: July 10, 2021, 10:08:51 pm »
Went for a run along the canal earlier and saw a smallish mainly yellow bird hovering above the water. I’ve had a search but the only thing I could think it might be is a yellow wagtail. I’ve seen plenty of pies wagtails before and this seemed a bit different so not really sure it’s that. Any other ideas?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2551 on: July 10, 2021, 10:28:00 pm »
Went for a run along the canal earlier and saw a smallish mainly yellow bird hovering above the water. I’ve had a search but the only thing I could think it might be is a yellow wagtail. I’ve seen plenty of pies wagtails before and this seemed a bit different so not really sure it’s that. Any other ideas?
Wish I could help with the flying pies Nick, but I'm not sure a wagtail would hover above a canal. Its usually a ground bird, but someone who knows more about pies will be along shortly to tell us.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2552 on: July 11, 2021, 09:31:51 am »

'Pies' wagtail.

Can't comment on the hovering behaviour, but another predominantly yellow bird is the siskin - bit smaller than a sparrow, quite often has a black cap.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2553 on: July 11, 2021, 01:41:53 pm »
It could possibly be a Grey Wagtail. Despite the name, they have an awful lot of yellow in their plumage. We see them all the time  at the edge of Sefton Park lake, fluttering just over the water where I assume they are taking insects. We are going for a walk along the canal this evening so I'll keep a lookout for anything similar.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2554 on: July 11, 2021, 01:58:03 pm »
It could possibly be a Grey Wagtail. Despite the name, they have an awful lot of yellow in their plumage. We see them all the time  at the edge of Sefton Park lake, fluttering just over the water where I assume they are taking insects. We are going for a walk along the canal this evening so I'll keep a lookout for anything similar.

I once saw a yellow wagtail land in my back garden in London. The nearest water was a mile away. That's unusual I think.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2555 on: July 11, 2021, 04:23:14 pm »
I once saw a yellow wagtail land in my back garden in London. The nearest water was a mile away. That's unusual I think.
Going by what I've read, they do tend to favour damp areas like river valleys, marshes and wet meadows.

On the other hand, the Grey Wagtail can, at times, even be seen in city centres. Just reading up on the Grey, it says they take midges and suchlike over water. That ties in with the Greys I've seen around Sefton Park lake. Lots of insects hovering around and above water there.

Lovely little birds they are too. 🐤

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2556 on: July 13, 2021, 09:48:10 am »
Well I’m well and truly getting into birds this spring/summer and especially the nesting period. Baby birds are fascinating. I’m also mesmerised/disgusted by parents swiftly yanking out the fecal sacks of shite and gulping them down. Like a little anal vending machine.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2557 on: July 13, 2021, 09:51:10 am »

'Pies' wagtail.

Can't comment on the hovering behaviour, but another predominantly yellow bird is the siskin - bit smaller than a sparrow, quite often has a black cap.

Oops, sorry about the typo! Don’t think it was a Siskin, definitely looked a bit bigger. Only other bird it looked like it resembled was an oriole but looking at how rare they are her and where they’re sighted it almost certainly wasn’t that!

Wish I’d stopped to have a better look but once I stop I can’t start running again. Might need to work on that!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2558 on: July 13, 2021, 09:52:44 am »

'Pies' wagtail.

Beer gut on that
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2559 on: July 13, 2021, 12:16:24 pm »
Well I’m well and truly getting into birds this spring/summer and especially the nesting period. Baby birds are fascinating. I’m also mesmerised/disgusted by parents swiftly yanking out the fecal sacks of shite and gulping them down. Like a little anal vending machine.

Virtually every parent on the planet that raises their young will do it, as do domestic animals like cats and dogs.

Thankfully humans developed a much healthier method of waste disposal 😁