Author Topic: Community (NBC)  (Read 74786 times)

Offline Operation Hennessey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Community (NBC)
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »
Anybody been watching this?

It's 18 episodes into it's first season and available in the usual places. Sort of in the same tone as The Office and 30 Rock (though not quite as good as either). Cast includes Chevy Chase, John Oliver and various other familiar faces.

It's better than the premise makes it sound......

Premise

Community centers on Jeff Winger (Joel McHale), a suspended lawyer who is back in school after his college degree is deemed invalid by the State Bar. The show focuses on Jeff's experiences attending fictional Greendale Community College in Greendale, Colorado, and the people he meets there. He has an obvious crush on Britta (Gillian Jacobs), a female student trying to get her life back on track, and receives perplexing life lessons from Pierce (Chevy Chase), an aged moist-towelette tycoon who has been married seven times.

Supporting characters and study group members include Abed (Danny Pudi), a film student, Shirley Bennett (Yvette Nicole Brown), a recently divorced mother attending college for the first time, former high school quarterback Troy (Donald Glover), and straight-laced nerd Annie (Alison Brie), who has had an unrequited crush on Troy since high school. Also recurring is unbalanced Spanish instructor Seņor Ben Chang (Ken Jeong), psychology professor Ian Duncan (John Oliver), whom Jeff represented for a DUI, and the overwhelmed Dean Pelton (Jim Rash), who desperately wants his school to be more like a real university and goes to strenuous and excessive lengths to seem politically correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_%28TV_series%29#Premise

Reviews of episodes so far are here http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/search/label/Community

Not in the league of Curb and Arrested Development, but well worth a watch with plenty of sharp lines etc

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Community (NBC)
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2010, 08:14:50 pm »
Well, this seems like a popular show...

I've just discovered it and it's great, watched the first half of season 1 so far and it's very funny. It's a bit like Arrested Development with broad characters but really sharp writing and the un-pc characters and gags like It's Always Sunny... Ken Jeong's Spanish teacher is just amazing, I was crying with laughter at his introduction. Also great to see Chevy Chase being funny again.

Just been reading up on season 2 and apparently there will be a Halloween special were they are all zombies and the Christmas special will be stop-motion animation, can't wait!

www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Myshkin

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2010, 08:26:22 pm »
I watch/like it too. All the characters in it are funny apart from the black woman.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »
2 episodes into season 2, am surprised this hasn't been picked up by E4 etc yet

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2010, 09:49:40 pm »
Probably my favourite show at the moment. Didn't know there was a thread, was going to start one. Love it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2010, 09:55:25 pm »
I think Abed completely blows Sheldon form Big Bang Theory (which is rubbish anyway) out of the water as the 'hilarious Aspergers Syndrome guy' ("haha, ASS-Pergers").

I think this or Eastbound and Down are the funniest shows around at the moment.

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2010, 03:31:31 am »
:wellin Love it.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2010, 04:02:11 am »
I think Abed completely blows Sheldon form Big Bang Theory (which is rubbish anyway) out of the water as the 'hilarious Aspergers Syndrome guy' ("haha, ASS-Pergers").

I think this or Eastbound and Down are the funniest shows around at the moment.
30rock and modern family beat them both.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2010, 05:19:38 am »
Don't watch Eastbound and Down. But I do agree 30 Rock beats Community by a little, but Modern Family is quite over-rated. It can be really cringe-worthy and predictable. Still very funny though.

For this to not get an Emmy nom for it's first season was robbery.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2010, 08:55:28 am »

If it was two seasons ago 30 Rock would be the winner, it's dropped a bit recently, still funny though. I like Modern Family more than I laugh at it...if that makes sense? The characters are great but it's not that funny to me, might be because of the format.

Do you watch this, Ricky?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 8, 2010, 04:38:38 pm »
Latest episode wasn't that funny. More thoughtful.

Had plenty of Annie and Britta for some excellent eye-candy. They may have blown their wad in the latest episode with the whole "Annie has awesome boobs" thing. Might be hard to continue with the subtle nods to it, which I enjoyed.

Oh and if I had to choose. Annie, hands down, every day of the week.

Offline Myshkin

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: October 8, 2010, 04:47:45 pm »
Latest episode wasn't that funny. More thoughtful.

Had plenty of Annie and Britta for some excellent eye-candy. They may have blown their wad in the latest episode with the whole "Annie has awesome boobs" thing. Might be hard to continue with the subtle nods to it, which I enjoyed.

Oh and if I had to choose. Annie, hands down, every day of the week.

+1!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 8, 2010, 05:03:56 pm »
Oh yeah, I'd welly Alison Brie all over the place!

I watched the Halloween episode again last night, Chevy Chase tripping balls whilst dressed as the Beastmaster is amazingly funny, was crying with laughter. And Abed's Batman speech at the end, haha.

One of my favourite moments is Jeff meeting Abed's dad for the first time, "Hoooooly War!"

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 8, 2010, 05:22:06 pm »
Oh yeah, I'd welly Alison Brie all over the place!
Yep, super smitten.

Luckiest gay man ever?: http://www.nerve.com/features/true-stories/homosexual-schmomosexual

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 8, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »
I watched the Halloween episode again last night, Chevy Chase tripping balls whilst dressed as the Beastmaster is amazingly funny, was crying with laughter. And Abed's Batman speech at the end, haha.
Must say I love the Jeff-Hawkeye Abed-Rader episode. Love MASH and I just loved the comparison. Jack Black making fun of himself with the singing, leg-kicks, and just trying too hard, and the strange Owen Wilson appearance at the end. Brilliant.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:14 am »
Must say I love the Jeff-Hawkeye Abed-Rader episode. Love MASH and I just loved the comparison. Jack Black making fun of himself with the singing, leg-kicks, and just trying too hard, and the strange Owen Wilson appearance at the end. Brilliant.

Yeah, that was a great episode, very funny seeing Jack Black taking the piss out of his movie persona, if you met someone like him in real life you'd hate him straight away, haha.

The Pool class/Abed's love life is another of my favourites. White Abed and Abed's Don Draper impression was amazing. The pool game at the end really had me laughing for ages;

"I choose shorts, I CHOOSE SHORTS!!!!"

"You magnificent SON OF A BITCH!"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 10:51:37 am »
The Goodfellas paraody episode about the corrupting power of chicken fingers and the paintball episode have cemented this as my favourite show of the moment, absolute genius.

*Freeze frame* - "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be in a gangster movie." And they used the piano refrain from Layla perfectly, I was seriously impressed how the Goodfellas moments kept on coming, it's one of my favourite films and the amount of little jokes they squeezed into this was amazing.

I'm quite amazed that someone made a better sitcom episode about paintball than that Spaced episode, the amount of funny, spot on war/action film references was incredible and it was still hilarious in it's own right. Chang's Chow Yun Fat impression and his paint bomb suicide vest is just one of the best things I've ever seen.

"No paintballs, Hans? You think I'm stupid?"

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »
Yep, both fantastic episodes. "Jeff Winger? You son of a bitch, i thought you were dead"

Also Abed's black-chief-of-police impression was great, "agitating my sciatica!"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 03:23:44 pm »
Yep, both fantastic episodes. "Jeff Winger? You son of a bitch, i thought you were dead"

Also Abed's black-chief-of-police impression was great, "agitating my sciatica!"

Haha, and Troy being the black character gets shot first.

I loved how 'LOST' type music starts playing when they all point guns at each other and yap on for ages :D

"Wait! He's just a pawn"..."Checkmate, bitches"

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 03:49:04 pm »
Haha, and Troy being the black character gets shot first.

I loved how 'LOST' type music starts playing when they all point guns at each other and yap on for ages :D

"Wait! He's just a pawn"..."Checkmate, bitches"
Haha, I love abed realising the trap as he pees, seeing the outline.

"Study group! Come out and play!"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:50 pm »
Another example of the genius of this show, the recent episode about accepting death relegated Abed's entire storyline about delivering a baby to the background of other scenes. I didn't even notice all of the scenes first time around, how many other sitcoms have done a subliminal b-plot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tP0ubODOUQ&feature=player_embedded

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #21 on: November 1, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »
This show is great.

Spoiler
IT IS FUNNIER THAN 30 ROCK
[close]
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2010, 07:38:34 pm »
Apparently it's being shown on Viva, a channel i didn't realise existed (or that i had it) Tuesday nights at 10pm. Started beginning of October so it's a few episodes into season 1.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: November 1, 2010, 07:51:15 pm »
Just seen the trailer on youtube and it seems really funny. Anyone have any good links for season 1?

Offline jammy dodger

• Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #24 on: November 1, 2010, 09:24:34 pm »
Mate I watched about 25 episodes of this show last week from here:

http://www.tvduck.com/Community.html

...I couldn't stop.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 1, 2010, 09:59:34 pm »
Just seen the trailer on youtube and it seems really funny. Anyone have any good links for season 1?

http://www.filestube.com/source.html?url=http://www.rlslog.net/community-s01-dvdrip-xvid-clerks/

I agree with Jammy, it's the funniest show around at the moment.

The first few episodes aren't that good but stick with it (I think around the Halloween episode) and it suddenly becomes fantastic once the actors become comfortable. For example, the difference in Troy now from the beginning of the show is remarkable,  I think he is the show's secret weapon now, Glover's comic timing is fantastic.

If you don't love this after watching the 'Modern Warfare' episode then you have no soul.

"Put me in the game..."

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 1, 2010, 10:11:28 pm »
Thank you both^, loading up the pilot episode right now, trailer was hilarious so im quite looking forward to it.

Offline jammy dodger

• Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2010, 11:05:34 pm »
As a warning, i'll agree with Rusty here that the show does take a few episodes to warm up properly, but you'll see straight away that, at times, the writing is head and shoulders above everything else out there. It is lightning quick and so ridiculous and masked with a straight face (that being a trait I usually use with good english comedy), and the characters are so varied and I actually give a shit about them.

Also, these two don't hurt:

Only downside is that I don't love Joel McHale, but he does the trick allright.  Honestly, I don't really watch television because most of it bores me stiff. At this point, all I can stand is the news, football, boardwalk empire, 30 rock, always sunny, bored to death, and this. I haven't been so stoked on a show in a long time (maybe the first season of dexter aside). Only downside is that I've watched it all now!
« Last Edit: November 2, 2010, 12:04:38 am by jammy dodger »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 2, 2010, 02:36:49 am »

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #29 on: November 2, 2010, 02:46:34 am »
This is my favorite show on television right now.  Love it.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 2, 2010, 05:34:19 am »
Yep...
It is impossible for me to stop watching that. Thank you.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 2, 2010, 05:47:09 am »
I heart Alison Brie.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 2, 2010, 09:21:17 am »
It's great that the show doesn't ignore Annie's boobs, there are lots of veiled references to them throughout the series that get more and more obvious, and then Troy names his pet monkey 'Annie's Boobs' :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: November 2, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
Seems to be picking up pace and attention these days, Guardian's singing its praises now too http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/oct/27/community-sitcom-watching

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 2, 2010, 12:05:28 pm »
It's great that the show doesn't ignore Annie's boobs, there are lots of veiled references to them throughout the series that get more and more obvious, and then Troy names his pet monkey 'Annie's Boobs' :D
I think the Annie vs Britta episode this season may have put an end to it unfortunately with Britta fully calling her out on her posture and increasingly tight tops.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2010, 10:50:56 pm »
Right, just watched 7 episodes of season 1 and i think its great, will definitely be watching this show in the coming weeks.

Abed is hilarious in it, the episode where he was Batman for annie's halloween party had me in stitches, epecially the ending;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHtEpKBZh4&feature=related

His and Troy's exchanges after the credits are also really funny.

It's also nice to see Trudy from Mad Men (another great show) playing Annie and she is fucking hawt, Britta is alright but Annie is my main eye candy for this show.

My only gripe with the show so far is Jeff, find him annoying and unlikeable, having said that im not far in so that i guess that could change.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 12:26:24 pm »
Annie's boob bump. Yes please.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 04:51:55 pm »
Annie's boob bump. Yes please.

Just watched that one today, I also hope it will catch on.

I loved the flashback to the gardener having a swastika tattoo :D

Also;

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:38:09 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 04:16:03 pm »
Just watched that one today, I also hope it will catch on.

I loved the flashback to the gardener having a swastika tattoo :D

Also;

Haha yeah that was brilliant. I really liked Britta more than usual in this episode, but cant remember why.

'Its going to be a maze'

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »
Last night's was amazing. I was very happy seeing the return of Annie's Boobs... as well as Annie's boobs.

Loved the black women only pregnancy test, 'You Know, Girl" :lmao