Author Topic: Gross Negligence Manslaughter in NHS  (Read 2881 times)

hoonin

Gross Negligence Manslaughter in NHS
« on: February 9, 2010, 10:50:21 am »
Daniel Ubani inquest: NHS failings allowed killer doctor to work

Systemic failings in the way the National Health Service provides out-of-hours care led to the death of a pensioner at the hands of “incompetent” German locum Daniel Ubani, a coroner ruled.

By Caroline Gammell
Published: 7:30AM GMT 05 Feb 2010
Previous

Inherent “weaknesses” in the vetting procedures meant that Dr Ubani was allowed to treat patients despite the fact he had failed an English language test and had no experience of the NHS, an inquest found.

On Feb 16, 2008, working his first out-of-hours shift and “tired out” after only arriving in the country the day before, Dr Ubani gave 70-year-old David Gray up to 20 times the recommended amount of diamorphine to treat pain in his kidneys.

The pensioner died at his Cambridgeshire home just a few hours later.

Dr Ubani escaped prosecution in Britain after police missed two chances to arrest him. He was prosecuted in Germany where he never had to appear in court and was given a fine and a nine-month suspended sentence.

After a 10-day inquest into Mr Gray’s death, which has highlighted serious concerns over the standard of out-of-hours GP care provided by the NHS, William Morris, the coroner for Cambridgeshire North and East, recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.

He said Dr Ubani was not of an “acceptable standard” and had committed “gross negligence manslaughter”.

He also called on Andy Burnham, the Health Secretary, to introduce 11 measures designed to make sure such a “tragic situation” did not arise again.

After the verdict, Mr Gray’s family condemned the “serious failings” at the primary care trust that employed Dr Ubani.

He was hired through a private out-of-hours care provider called Take Care Now and the family said there were no adequate checks on his abilities.

They also said they felt “let down” by the failure of British police to bring Dr Ubani to justice.

Nigerian-born Dr Ubani, 67, continues to work as a doctor in his home town of Witten, northern Germany.

Mr Gray’s sons, Rory and Stuart, fought “tirelessly” for two years to uncover the series of blunders which led to their father’s sudden death.

Their determination helped lead to an independent review of the out-of-hours system nationwide, which was published last night.

The review found widespread failings, a lax approach to interviews and misunderstandings about language testing responsibilities.

It also found that NHS trusts had been failing to carry out thorough checks on GPs providing out-of-hours care.

A series of new measures, tighter regulations and new guidance is to be brought in by the end of the year, ministers said.

Stuart Gray, 50, a GP himself, said: “The whole system is just abysmal.”

His younger brother Rory, 45, a mission control engineer at the European Space Agency, added: “It has been a long hard struggle.”

Dr Ubani, whose ability to be responsible for out-of-hours care was first questioned by a hospital boss 35 years ago, admitted in a letter to the family that he was “exhausted” while treating Mr Gray’s renal colic, having had just four hours sleep.

He also admitted having never come across diamorphine before.

Concerns have also since been raised over Dr Ubani’s treatment of two other patients in Britain.

He also saw Iris Edwards, 86, who died of a heart attack a day later and Sandra Banks, 59, who was admitted to hospital for two days.

Delivering his verdict at Wisbech magistrates’ court, Mr Morris said: “It is clear to me that Dr Ubani in his dealings with patients of that fateful weekend was incompetent, not of acceptable standards.’’

Peter Walsh, the chief executive of Action Against Medical Accidents, said there were “systemic failings” which could affect anyone using out-of-hours care.

It emerged during the inquest that Dr Ubani had failed an English test for Leeds Primary Care Trust and simply applied to another where the rules about language were not enforced.

After the verdict, the Gray brothers said they were taking civil action against Dr Ubani, the Primary Care Trust and Take Care Now.

They have also lodged a complaint with the European Court of Human Rights over the way the British and German justice systems dealt with the case.

Norman Lamb, the Liberal Democrat health spokesman, said: “It is scandalous that Dr Ubani will not face a court in this country.’’
« Last Edit: February 9, 2010, 10:54:38 am by Gareth »

hoonin

Re: Gross Negligence Manslaughter in NHS
« Reply #1 on: February 9, 2010, 10:53:45 am »
How is is that it's acceptable for an ill-qualified and incompetent "doctor" to act as a GP in the UK, kill a man, get away with it and continue practising as a Doctor in Germany?

I thought that in cases of murder/manslaughter in this country, British law says somebody must be held accountable for the death?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2 on: February 9, 2010, 11:10:29 am »
There was a legal cockup in Germany effectively allowing him to walk away.

I believe he's practicing Cosmetic Surgery now. Hmmm.

Ubani certainly leads a charmed life, unlike his patients...

I suppose it's a peril of contracting out NHS work to companies that seek profit...They don't seem to always ask the right questions or probe into the past.
But it really was a terrible error on behalf of the Government when it allowed the GPs to get out of 'out of hours' cover a few years ago, leading to this sort of provision.
I wouldn't mind, but I understand the GPs didn't even request for it to be dropped.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2010, 11:12:05 am by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

hoonin

« Reply #3 on: February 9, 2010, 11:42:08 am »
There was a legal cockup in Germany effectively allowing him to walk away.

Not so much a cock-up. The Germans refused a European extradition warrant issued by the UK.

I believe he's practicing Cosmetic Surgery now. Hmmm.

He was before hand too, hence serious questions about how he was allowed in the UK as a locum GP.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4 on: February 9, 2010, 11:46:30 am »
The Out of Hours GP system is a nightmare. My daughter suffers from recurrent ear infections. Usually at the weekend / bank holidays. Nothing too serious, but it is very painful and requires antibiotics to clear - which usually means braving the out of hours GP. The quality of doctors is very variable. I don't think we have ever seen an out of hours GP who was a native English speaker. Most this is not an issue with, but I have had consultations with a doctor where I only understood every 3rd word. In my circumstances as I know what is wrong with my daughter, it's not a problem. For something more serious, it would be a major issue. The worst one we had was antihistamine being prescribed for an ear infection. Which we decided not to give to our daughter. Our GP was not impressed the following Monday - and yep - more antibiotics which solved the problem.

A 2nd set of Grommets have spared us the agony of NHS direct for the moment - until they fall out again...

I would avoid the out of hours GP wherever possible. Generally I'd rather wait in A&E for longer but get seen by someone I am fairly sure is competent.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5 on: February 9, 2010, 11:59:44 am »
Dr Ubani, whose ability to be responsible for out-of-hours care was first questioned by a hospital boss 35 years ago, admitted in a letter to the family that he was “exhausted” while treating Mr Gray’s renal colic, having had just four hours sleep.
Bit slow off the mark aren't they really. 35 years to be discovered as someone who has difficulty grasping the language let alone the medical profession. Blame is such a nasty word but you have to look no further than the NHS for this.
I just wish they were as slow on the uptake to bill me on the rare occasions I've had to get a prescription from them.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »
You'd be surprised how many lethal doses are prescribed by doctors, from GP to consultant. The pharmacists are the ones who usually spot something awry and correct it. They usually verify the correct amount is prescribed and correct the dosage accordingly. This is from first hand experience as well. Don't get me wrong, I think it's probably the correct way to do things as it's unreasonable to expect a doctor to remember dosage limits for every conceivable drug out there.

I have no opinion on the NHS at the moment. Luckily I never need to see my GP and obviously therefore never get referred to hospital. Last time I went to A&E was when I was 14/15. It seems to be that when you actually need it, you cannot rely on it. The trusts can tick all the boxes like waiting times, budgetary controls and hanc cleansers being available on wards, but it's a different real world story.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2010, 06:19:37 pm »
I suppose it's a peril of contracting out NHS work to companies that seek profit..

Sadly that's not the only issue. My missus is working agency at the moment, she's been in one hospital where the whole ward was being run by the agency because an entire shift (or however it works for the NHS) had been suspended pending investigations of mistreating patients and in another hospital three different agency girls reported the same NHS nurse for mistreating patients, casual xenophobia (about my missus being Irish, amongst other things) and general cuntishness in the same morning.

Agency workers can cause problems but so can NHS staff. Our local hospital seems to kill more people than they fix and after she's done a few shifts in there I can understand why - I keep my dog in better conditions that she saw patients being kept in, and that's not down to agency staff.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2010, 08:50:37 pm »
The situation with Urbani is unforgivable but not uncommon. I seem to recall a similar issue in Liverpool in the last 5yrs or so where an out of hours GP failed to diagnose or misdiagnosed meningitis which has left the patient in a wheelchair. That situation has been rumbling along for a while now.

The majority of GPs, like the majority of NHS clinical staff, work extremely hard for patients doing a job that they love, but they don't want to be working 5 days a week and evenings and weekends so it is right that OOH care is spread out. The problem is partly down to the way OOH care is organised, with PCTs having tendered it out to whoever wanted to bid for it (bearing in mind that consortia of local GPs are more than welcome to submit tenders) and pick a winner. Once the service level agreements and contracts are in place, it's up to the care provider to abide by the terms of the contract e.g. checks on medical professionals and ensuring appropriate working hours and conditions. The PCTs have done their bit in putting the contract out for tender and basically wash their hands of the clinical side of the situation unless, for example, a complaint is made in which case the PCT can require the contractor to launch an investigation, but only in the most serious of circumstances would they investigate the provider themselves and that's usually with a view to terminating the contract rather than anything else.

The bottom line is that these private care providers are businesses and so they act as such. If locally-based GPs don't want the work, they'll outsource to those who do, which frequently involves foreign GPs flying in to do shifts at weekends. They'll also look at how many calls, on average, they think they'll receive and plan their services accordingly, hence how you can end up with only 1 or 2 "on call" GPs for populations into the hundreds of thousands.

The entire NHS needs reforming from the top down, with care being put back in the community where it belongs. If that means that GPs have to do the occasional night shift or weekend shift, so be it. Unfortunately many GP services seem unable to fathom the simplest of things, like ensuring there are same-day appointments available as, unfortunately, most patients can't plan to be ill 2 weeks in advance.

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #9 on: February 9, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »
The problem is partly down to the way OOH care is organised, with PCTs having tendered it out to whoever wanted to bid for it[...]

Let me guess, lowest bidder wins?
It is most odd.

Offline kopite@m45

• A frightening peek inside the mind of a Tory voter... fuck me its roomy in here
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 03:45:48 am »
Pleased to tell all you lot that this is all down to Tony Blair.

When re-negotiating GP's pay and out of hours cover not only did he send their salary into orbit, but he took away the need for weekend cover.

Nevertheless anyone who knows him would tell you he is 'a pretty straight kinda guy'.
A legendary dickhead, no less.

hoonin

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:28:58 pm »
There'll be some more on this on BBC news at 6pm tonight. The two sons of Mr Gray were arrested by German police for confronting Dr Ubani at a cosmetic surgery conference in Germany.

It’s incredible they’re now under investigation, yet a man guilty of manslaughter and gross negligence walked away free and is STILL practising medicine.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 10:19:20 pm »
Saw this earlier. Have they got any legal help out there? From what I can gather they were arrested on suspicion of trespass.

hoonin

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:35:21 pm »
They had a ticket for the conference, so don't know how they were trespassing to be honest.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 02:55:20 pm »
They had a ticket for the conference, so don't know how they were trespassing to be honest.

I hope they don't take ill at the conference. They might have chest pains, explain their symptoms to Ubani in English and wake up with a massive pair of tits.  :o
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »

Latest seems to be something about using threatening language. Probably just anything to get them hauled out of there.