Author Topic: Hicks - Texas Rangers Sold...  (Read 180600 times)

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Re: Hicks - Texas Rangers Sold...
« Reply #920 on: August 20, 2010, 02:01:32 pm »
Just meant that he'd divided things up so one part going under would still mean he'd see some cash from another part mate.

Things like:

Texas Rangers was under HSG
The land used for parking etc and various other bits and bobs a Texas Rangers owner would want are scattered about amongst various other companies not legally linked to HSG

Dallas Stars and his 50% share in their stadium under HSG
The feeder clubs for Dallas Stars owned outside of HSG but obviously something a new Dallas Stars owner would want control of

Both the Rangers deal and the Glorypark deal have seen allegations of him playing shell games, so I guess we'll wait and see what happens with the case over Glorypark and whether the creditors will file suit again against him over the Rangers deal once the Stars sale has been wrapped up.

Could he do the same with us?
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #921 on: August 20, 2010, 02:17:52 pm »
Is this another sign that the HSG empire is finally crumbling?

Dallas Stars To Be Sold For $275 Million To $300 Million
By MIKE OZANIAN

Tom Hicks is very close to selling the Dallas Stars and his 50% interest in the American Airlines Center for between $275 million to $300 million. A previous bidder was offering $250 million.

The sale of the Stars  tells me two things: creditors of Hicks Sports Group will recoup some $150 million on top of what they will receive from the sale of the Texas Rangers and that despite the troubles of the Phoenix Coyotes, Atlanta Thrashers and Nashville Predators hockey can sell in the right southern market. Even the lower enterprise value for the Stars works out to  a rich 2.8 times revenue and 23 times operating income. Those are NBA-like multiples. (full disclosure: a few weeks ago I speculated on this blog that Hicks would be lucky to get $250 million for the Stars because the delayed sale of the Texas Rangers was making cash-strapped HSG desperate to sell the hockey team).

http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/2010/08/18/dallas-stars-to-be-sold-for-275-million-to-300-million/

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #922 on: August 20, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »
Could he do the same with us?

Not without risking doing time. I can't see how it would be possible to either split off assets into new companies (as Liverpool's assets are RBS' collateral and Hicks is not sole owner of a private company) or to purchase something a new owner of Liverpool would consider to be 'essential'. The US stuff seems more because he's essentially had things thrown at him for free for owning the Stars and the Rangers and for making big promises about regenerating areas. In contrast, have the city council even trusted him and George with the Stanley Park lease yet? The closest thing him and George have got with Liverpool is the rolling 10% interest on the inter-company loans. But even that's not guaranteed to be paid back even if it turns out that they did use their own money to provide the loan.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #923 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:39 pm »
Not without risking doing time. I can't see how it would be possible to either split off assets into new companies (as Liverpool's assets are RBS' collateral and Hicks is not sole owner of a private company) or to purchase something a new owner of Liverpool would consider to be 'essential'. The US stuff seems more because he's essentially had things thrown at him for free for owning the Stars and the Rangers and for making big promises about regenerating areas. In contrast, have the city council even trusted him and George with the Stanley Park lease yet? The closest thing him and George have got with Liverpool is the rolling 10% interest on the inter-company loans. But even that's not guaranteed to be paid back even if it turns out that they did use their own money to provide the loan.
that lease links to a  major chunk of the apparent value of liverpool fc.
if there was any way we could nick that off them,surely,we would be in a better position,to dictate to RBS who the best buyer is?...a meeting with the estates department wouldnt cost anything but an hour of anyones time.
If they say no for political reasons,ie anfields regeneration etc,then ok,weve asked the question,but until that happens,we will never know what effect it could have had.
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline jonnygeeart

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P L.F.C
« Reply #924 on: August 21, 2010, 05:19:24 pm »
we should organise an email campaign directed at the US Justice dept and IRS to urge them to investigate/audit the grifter hicks

Offline jonnygeeart

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P L.F.C
« Reply #925 on: August 21, 2010, 05:23:07 pm »
in fact we should hound that fucker till the day he dies even if hes sold up.privacy go **** yourself

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #926 on: August 22, 2010, 05:46:52 am »
in fact we should hound that fucker till the day he dies even if hes sold up.privacy go **** yourself

I would say he and his kids should be hounded to the day they die..i am sure his sons have had a massive input on how to screw people over...
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #927 on: August 24, 2010, 11:47:33 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/24/manchester-city-uefa-spending-rules

Hicks in hunt for finance

Interesting that Liverpool's co-owner Tom Hicks is on the look out for some fresh financing – $230m according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing in the US. Digger wonders what Hicks Acquisition Co II could need that sort of money for. Hicks Acquisition Co I was set up in 2007 and was at the time the biggest ever market launch of a "special purpose acquisition company" — ie one set up specifically to complete a purchase. A press releaseat the time said: "Hicks Acquisition was formed for the purpose of acquiring, or acquiring control of, through a merger, capital stock exchange, asset acquisition, stock purchase, reorganization or similar business combination, one or more businesses or assets." Might it be that, with administration potentially looming for Liverpool, Hicks is looking for co-investors to buy the club anew?
http://www.sec.gov/news/digest/2010/dig062910-sar.txt

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #928 on: August 24, 2010, 06:43:20 pm »
Detailed Texas Rangers accounts leaked: http://m.deadspin.com/5619951/
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline muffins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Well done, lads.
« Reply #929 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:05 pm »
Detailed Texas Rangers accounts leaked: http://m.deadspin.com/5619951/

Was just about to post the same link, mate.

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #930 on: August 28, 2010, 12:11:56 pm »
Myth #3: The sale of the Dallas Stars could be headed in the same direction as the Texas Rangers sale.

Fact: The sale of the Stars is proceeding normally, albeit a bit slower than expected

Any fan of the Dallas Stars witnessed what happened with the Rangers and grew wary. The sale of Tom Hicks' baseball franchise lasted nearly 14 months and was dragged into a nasty battle in bankruptcy court. Meanwhile, the Rangers were unable to conduct operations as normal while severely restricted in the moves they could make.

With the Stars looking at a bright future (yes, it is bright), could this be a possibility for Hicks' hockey franchise?

The short answer is no. I understand I jumped the gun a bit myself on this but after doing some extensive research (and also just reading Mike Heika) it's become very apparent that the sale of the Rangers and the sale of the Stars will be two completely different events.

For one, it's important to remember that the debacle surrounding the sale of the Rangers is unlike anything that has ever happened before in baseball, and likely in all of sports. The sale of the Phoenix Coyotes comes close.

From the very beginning, the sale process was incredibly complicated and was compounded by the fact that Tom Hicks was doing everything he could to sell the team yet still keep control of the franchise. While there were three bid proposals from three different ownership groups back in December, Hicks didn't choose the bid that would pay the most for team: he picked the bid that would benefit him personally the most.

Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan were able to secure exclusive negotiating rights with Hicks by promising him a piece of the pie; Hicks would remain a minority owner of the team, he would still be involved and he would personally profit by selling real estate around the Ballpark as part of the deal. Looking back at the reports from over the winter, it's obvious that this is where everything went wrong. Hicks picked not the highest bid, but the bid that was best for him.

The Texas Rangers financial situation was incredibly more complex and certainly more damaged and disorganized than the Stars' will ever be. There were two outside entities with a vested interest in the sale of the team: the unsecured creditors that were owed money directly from the Rangers and the secured creditors that are tied to both the Rangers and the Stars, and in some cases just the Rangers.

When it became known that Hicks had picked a bid that benefited him more than the creditors that were owen $525 million in defaulted loans, that's when the problems started to arise. The creditors were concerned that the Greenberg bid wouldn't maximize the amount they would be paid, which is certainly understandable. Greenberg and Nolan Ryan attempted to alter their proposed deal to appease all sides, but now it's clear that Hicks and HSG were playing both sides.

So we go into in bankruptcy, we have an auction and Greenberg and Ryan end up purchasing the Texas Rangers for nearly $600 million.

Nothing anywhere close to this will happen with the Stars.

This first concern is whether the sale price of the team will be enough to appease the remaining creditors. Since the unsecured creditors for the Rangers were paid off first, there is still around $200 million owed to the secured creditors, which would presumably  be covered by the Stars sale.* While there is more than just the team involved in the sale (AAC lease, Starcenters, etc), there is nowhere close to the complex situation that existed with the Rangers.

*Especially since it appears the sale of LIverpool FC won't help at all.

There is also the fear that the creditors could get involved in this sale in the same way they became involved with the Rangers sale. While the creditors are certainly going to be paying very close attention to this deal, there are a couple of very important factors to keep in mind on why the creditors won't have as much of an argument as they did with the Rangers sale.

For one, Tom Hicks will be able to pick the highest bid. Jim Crane supposedly had the best overall proposal for the Rangers but was forced to drop out when it became known that the MLB would not approve him as an owner. Second, Hicks won't have a personal interest; he picked Greenberg over Dennis Gilbert because that was the bid that kept him involved the most. Between Bill Gallacher and Tom Gaglardi, Hicks will be choosing between two owners that are guaranteed to be approved by the NHL and who have deep enough pockets to pay a significant price for the team.

This is the important part. The rumored sale price for the Stars will be anywhere between $275 and $300 million, which is certainly more than anyone thought the team would be worth. Considering the sale prices of the Coyotes and Tampa Bay Lighting, $300 million is an extremely high figure for a "southern market franchise". While the creditors could technically try and force the sale to cover the remain money they are owed, it's going to be tough for them to prove that this sale a) wasn't fairly bid between prospective buyers and b) that the final sale price wasn't fair.

There are still many factors at play here, especially when it comes to the payroll and salary cap, but for now this is how these current situations are shaking out as I see them.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2010/8/28/1655222/mythbusting-breaking-down-the
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: August 28, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »
Thanks Ali, much appreciated.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #932 on: August 28, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »

Interesting piece. Just a general comment from that article - it's dangerous to assume that two superficially similar sets of circumstances will automatically go the same way and have the same outcome.

All those who hope to watch Hicks descent into bankruptcy and poverty are likely to be disappointed. The same with the prospect of the Justice Department or IRS prosecuting him and sending him to jail. It's almost certainly not going to happen.

Hicks is pulling out of sports and getting back into the the type of business that made his fortune. Once he's finally out of Liverpool and seen the back of Hicks Sporting Group, Hicks will probably go back to making tens or hundreds of millions for himself and his family. I won't be wasting my time on him once he's finally out of Liverpool.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #933 on: August 28, 2010, 01:41:56 pm »
Interesting piece. Just a general comment from that article - it's dangerous to assume that two superficially similar sets of circumstances will automatically go the same way and have the same outcome.

All those who hope to watch Hicks descent into bankruptcy and poverty are likely to be disappointed. The same with the prospect of the Justice Department or IRS prosecuting him and sending him to jail. It's almost certainly not going to happen.

Hicks is pulling out of sports and getting back into the the type of business that made his fortune. Once he's finally out of Liverpool and seen the back of Hicks Sporting Group, Hicks will probably go back to making tens or hundreds of millions for himself and his family. I won't be wasting my time on him once he's finally out of Liverpool.

Agree with all of that especially the last bit!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: August 29, 2010, 10:18:27 am »
I'm with you, Jack; nothing like a good gloat to cleanse the system. However, we will also be more concentrated on holding any new owners to account. I think the days of just innocently enjoying the football are gone. Gone damn quiet on the takeover front, hasn't it?

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: August 30, 2010, 08:58:49 pm »

* August 30, 2010, 11:56 AM ET

Texas Rangers End Bankruptcy In The Black

By Eric Morath

The Texas Rangers finished the last full month under former owner Tom Hicks’s control as a profitable ballclub.

Fueled by a slate of 17 homes games, the first-place team took in $111 million in revenue in July and cleared a $3 million monthly profit, according to papers filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Fort Worth, Texas.

That’s a strong month for a team that lost $11.9 million last year, according to Deadspin’s leak of Major League Baseball financial information.

Mounting financial losses caused Hicks to put the team up for sale and then into bankruptcy in May. He ultimately sold the Rangers for $593 million to a group led by Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan and sports attorney Chuck Greenberg. The sale closed on Aug. 12.

The team saw its revenue, largely dependent on ticket sales, jump 40% in July from June, court papers showed. In June, the team lost $4.8 million.

Under new ownership, the team’s prospects for continued profitability should improve. The bankruptcy allowed the Rangers to dispense with debt obligations connected to the team’s partial guarantee of a $525 million loan taken out by Hicks’s HSG Sports Group LLC.

The team spent $6 million on interest payments in July.

The filing also showed that the team never tapped the $21.5 million bankruptcy loan MLB extended to the Rangers. That loan was intended to ensure the Rangers could continue to pay its players, vendors and other creditors while it reorganized.

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2010/08/30/texas-rangers-end-bankruptcy-in-the-black/
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »
Texas Rangers' Latest Court Filings Reveal That It Sure Does Pay to Be in First Place
By Robert Wilonsky, Tue., Aug. 31 2010 @ 8:22AM

​The Texas Rangers are out of Chapter 11 and Tom Hicks's hands, but that website devoted to the prepackaged bankruptcy remains alive and well weeks later. New filings are being added to Texas Rangers Baseball Partners Information Site every day, including two docs detailing how well the team's doing -- not only on the field but off.

As in: For the month of July, the Rangers pulled in $111,048,530 in net revenue -- an uptick "fueled by a slate of 17 home games," as The Wall Street Journal points out. After all expenses were paid (including $15 thou to Hicks and $132,000 to Nolan Ryan), the team still managed to rake in $3.5 mil in profit -- which is quite the turnaround from June's $4.826-million loss. (There were 13 home games in June, resulting, in part, in $78 million in revenue, much of which comes from ticket sales.)

You could spend the morning comparing and contrasting the court filings, including an early look at August, with the Deadspin docs, released last week, which reveal $11-million and $10-million losses during the last two seasons. Me, I found a new band name: The Hicks Overdraft.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2010/08/texas_rangers_latest_court_fil.php

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: September 1, 2010, 06:37:29 pm »
Zeb mate - do you know if Georgy filed those accounts due on August 31?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #938 on: September 1, 2010, 08:06:52 pm »
Booth Creek Management Corporation is still currently listed as delinquent in Colorado. No accounts filed since 2008.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2010, 08:13:03 pm by Zeb »

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: September 8, 2010, 08:28:01 pm »

Updates on sale of team, free agents
   12:55 PM Wed, Sep 08, 2010
Mike Heika / Reporter   

With everyone back from the long Labor Day weekend, it was time for a bunch of phone calls, texts and e-mails in regards to the negotiations for the sale of the Stars, as well as the negotiations between the Stars and restricted free agents James Neal and Matt Niskanen.

And what I have learned after a day and a half is that everyone is talking, and nothing is ``imminent.''

First on the sale, Canadian businessmen Bill Gallacher and Tom Gaglardi still are the two most interested parties in purchasing the Stars, but the people who are involved in selling the Stars (Galatioto Sports Partners, the NHL, Tom Hicks, Monarch Investment Group) would like to see if they can draw in more investors. Bottom line, they would like to get a spirited auction the way they did with the Rangers, and there is not that sort of interest right now. Still, there has been enough talks with a couple of other groups that they would like to see if more ``official'' bidders want to enter the fray.

One person I talked to said that at this time and with the pace of the sale going as it is, ``it would be fair to assume'' the sale would not get done before the start of the Stars season on Oct. 8 (as was previously predicted). That said, several insiders have confirmed that the Stars are operating as usual on their internal budget (believed to be near $45 million) and have no cash problems at this time.

Back when Norman Green sold the team to Tom Hicks, there were severe cash flow problems that hurt the day to day operation of the team. The Stars right now (insiders say) have no problem paying the bills and have even taken on greater expense to fly to Prince Edward Island for training camp.

The loan covenants that protect the team from bankruptcy have expired, and the lenders could at any time try to take the team into bankruptcy court for non-payment of the loans that Hicks Sports Group defaulted on. However, indications are that the NHL, Hicks and the lenders do not want to do that at this time. The relationship between the Rangers and MLB forced that decision on the baseball side, but the people I talked to said the best solution for the lenders (again, at this time) is to work through the sale of the team with Hicks, SGP and the NHL.

That's about all the news. They are working at it and are confident it can get done eventually at a price that makes everyone happy. We'll see if they have to lower that price at some point in the future if economic pressures begin to push on the negotiations.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/09/updates-on-sale-of-team-free-agents.html

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: September 9, 2010, 08:33:06 am »
Thanks ali.

Question: Do you or any of the other superb diggers on here know what happened about Gillett's NASCAR tie-up with Prince Faisal bin Fahd bin Abdullah al-Saud? Did it ever progress?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #941 on: September 9, 2010, 11:25:27 am »
The company with the agreement with Gillett (acting on behalf of Richard Petty Motorsports and Liverpool) is called F6. The building of Liverpool branded academies was the main part of the deal, the funding of the Nascar team/building a NASCAR track in Saudi Arabia was apparantly secondary. There were rumours it was intended to be a minority investment in the club itself at one point, but that could have been nonsense. It's been silent almost since the deal was done - their website has some pics of the Prince with Gillett and Purslow but couldn't find anything recent or relevant about what they're actually doing.

F6 website: http://www.f6world.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=53

edit: urgh. more coffee needed.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2010, 11:33:24 am by Zeb »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: September 9, 2010, 11:56:20 am »
Those pix of the prince with gillett make me feel sick. like it's something to be proud of. just wondering about a little email campaign to the prince - pointing out some of GG's history and how he is held in contempt by Liverpool fans the world over and asking him why such a fine, dynamic businessman as himself would want to be involved with such a controversial figure? Nothing libellous, strictly sticking to the facts - but hitting Gillett's reputation with the people who matter.
Thoughts?

Offline RedTexan

• Main Stander
  • Don't do that. This might be someone's life
« Reply #943 on: September 10, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »
More publicity of our picture here in Dallas

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/

Hit it, Lozninger: Baby, can't you see what the Royal Bank of Scotland just did -- it moved Tom Hicks and George Gillett's £237 million debt in Liverpool FC to the totally-teffed-list. Meaning: After asking somewhere between £600 and £800 million for the Reds (which, I believe, translates into $932 billion U.S., which looks high) and finding no takers, Hicks and Gillett could be forced to sell at a much, much lower price. Either that, or they'll have to pay back the money owed, which they've been putting off for more than a year. The bank has set October 6 as the put-up-or-sell-out date.

They could have already sold the club at a discount if they wanted: Last month Chinese businessman Kenny Huang and a "Syrian businessman" made significantly lower offers. But Hicks said thanks but no -- because how else is he going to recoup his losses on the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars, remember?

Barclays Capital's Martin Broughton, brought in to find a taker for the team, keeps insisting he'll find someone willing to pay what Hicks wants (because, look, Gillett would have gotten out for Ed Monix and a washing machine at this point). But as The Independent puts it this morning: "There are doubts as to whether he can compel the Americans to sell at a price unacceptable to them, which has been the underlying cause of the failure to find a buyer. Now RBS may be preparing for an endgame in which, with the bank unwilling to refinance their loans, the Americans really will have no choice but to sell at a realistic market price of perhaps £300m."

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: September 10, 2010, 04:51:32 pm »
Brilliant RT - you should put it in the Not Welcome Anywhere thread on the main board. It's only the sad die-hards who mosey in here.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #945 on: September 10, 2010, 05:16:17 pm »
Brilliant RT - you should put it in the Not Welcome Anywhere thread on the main board. It's only the sad die-hards who mosey in here.

Speak for yourself lad ;) I like to think of ourselves as visionaries who predicted a few years back much of what has subsequently happened, shame so few listened to us back then!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

royhendo

« Reply #946 on: September 10, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »
Tremendous mate :)

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #947 on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:17 pm »

I'm sad, very very sad.  :'(

;)

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: September 11, 2010, 06:58:36 pm »
I'm sad, very very sad.  :'(

;)

you're definitely not alone in that one. 

I like to think of ourselves as visionaries who predicted a few years back much of what has subsequently happened, shame so few listened to us back then!

Ain't that the truth. Suffering in honour of our club, like all good spiritual practice. But that's the thing with visionaries, see-ers often aren't so good at doing, and it took time and folks like SOS, then later the likes of Roy and FS to manifest the raw energy into action. Now, three years on, every one of us comes up eventually against the wall of "so few listen", which shocked us back then, as the realisation set in that we were but a merry band of Cassandra's. It seems like a chain to me, a chain of fighters, and as each gets exhausted, another picks up the challenge. A marathon relay team. Slouching towards Bethlehem. Or is it towards crucifixion? ...... and, come judgement day, will it be Tom and George up there on the cross, or Liverpool FC. ho-hum.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #949 on: September 13, 2010, 12:40:29 am »
Very true.  However, if I was a Stars fan, I wouldnt be counting any chickens just yet.  It's reasonable to assume that Hicks was aware of the likelihood of HSG's liquidation well before March/April 09 when it defaulted on its loans.  We'll have to wait and see if there are any assets in disputed ownership, with Hicks saying that they belong to him personally, and HSG creditors opposing that and claiming the asset belongs to HSG or to the Stars franchise.

He is a rich and influential man, and I dont think we'll see him going to jail.  He knows where too many bodies are buried for a start.

As for his "success", there's been several articles about him posted on here, many by journalists that he hand picked himself.  As far as I can tell, he's been very unsuccessful this century. 

Anyway, once he's gone, we'll have much more important things to worry about: namely, are our new owners any better, and how are they gonna clean up G&H's mess.

Nonetheless, if Hicks's downfall continues  (and there is at least a 50:50 chance that it will), then I'm sure I'll be able to spare some time from busy schedule to gloat unashamedly, and hopefully to dance on his grave (metaphorically speaking, of course)

Having an ex president as a mate will keep the legal boys away, but so long as he gets out of this club I don't care what happens to him!

Got to say as well I think at times the loathsome Gillet gets an easy ride on the back of our hatred for Hicks!

To use a shakespearian analogy to me Gillet is to Hicks is what Iago is to Othello! Hicks is arrogant, bullish and loathsome, whereas the real major evil is Gillet hiding behind Hicks pomposity all the time!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #950 on: September 13, 2010, 02:22:52 am »
Liverpool owners face tough decision has bank deadline looms

By Paul Carbray

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Liverpool+owners+face+tough+decision+bank+deadline+looms/3514132/story.html

George Gillett Jr. made a lot of money when he sold the Montreal Canadiens and the Bell Centre. It appears he’ll lose plenty when Liverpool soccer club is finally sold.

Gillett and partner Tom Hicks have been skating on the edge of the financial abyss since they bought Liverpool just before the worldwide financial crisis hit.

They promised to build a new stadium immediately, but the first shovel has yet to be put into the ground and they’ve tightened the purse strings as the team plunged in the standings. They’ve been the target of abuse from fans, angry that they weighted the cub with debts to finance the purchase.

Now those debts have come back to haunt them.

Reports in British media last week said the Royal Bank of Scotland, which is owed close to $350 million by Gillett and Hicks, has placed the loan into its toxic-assets division. That’s a strong indication the bank won’t agree to refinance the loan when it comes due.

The due date is Oct. 6 and if the loan isn’t extended and Gillett and Hicks can’t repay it, the bank would take over the club and sell it, possibly at a knock-down price, as soon as possible after Oct. 6.

Gillett and Hicks have put the club on the market, but their asking price, believed to be more than $1 billion, is wildly optimistic.

It’s obvious there are no buyers at that price and recent negotiations with a couple of groups came to naught. So the owners are caught between a rock and a very hard place. Do they wait until Oct. 6 and hope to refinance the loan somehow, or try to make a quick sale at what is sure to be a massive loss?

The Guardian newspaper quoted one source as saying: “If (the loan) has been taken out of the hands of the corporate banking department, they’ll have a much more ruthless approach on Oct. 6.”

The minimum sale price the bank would accept would be enough to ensure the repayment of its debt. That would mean Gillett and Hicks would make nothing from the sale.

They could use the cash.

Hicks has already sold baseball’s Texas Rangers and the hockey’s Dallas Stars in an attempt to raise money. It’s pretty obvious Gillett had to sell the Canadiens and hope that money would enable him to hang on to Liverpool.

We all know how that worked out.

The fans have made no secret of their joy at seeing Gillett and Hicks being forced to sell the club. The Kop Faithful group wrote an open letter to the bank last week saying Gillett and Hicks have “proved to be no more than a pair of liars,” and likening their purchase of the Liverpool club to the Glazer family’s purchase of Manchester United, which weighted that team with massive debts.

But in contrast to United, which makes so much money it has been able, so far, to repay the loans, Liverpool is saddled with a much smaller stadium and is unable to generate enough cash to lessen its debts.

“The promised ‘no Glazer-style buyout,’ ” the Kop Faithful’s open letter noted, “was all of a sudden (a leveraged buyout, enabling) — a club ($500 million) in debt to effectively buy itself, when it had effectively been sold for less than $300 million (to Hicks and Gillett) in what seemed no time before.”

But Liverpool fans should be careful what they wish for. There are plenty of cases of last-minute sales failing to work out. Heck, they have only to cast their minds back to Gillett and Hicks’s purchase of the club.

Promises — as Gillett and Hicks proved — are easy.

It’s performance that’s hard.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: September 14, 2010, 08:33:59 pm »
Restructuring officer sheds new light on contentious Rangers auction
Posted Tuesday, Sep. 14, 2010

By Barry Shlachter

barry@star-telegram.com

It was midnight Aug. 4 and Chuck Greenberg threatened to remove himself and partner Nolan Ryan from the marathon Texas Rangers auction unless Mark Cuban's bids were discounted by $20 million or more, arguing that major league owners might not approve his purchase for months if at all.

The dramatic closing hours of the team's bankruptcy included remarkably angry outbursts of profanity, said William Snyder, the team's court-appointed restructuring officer.

"It was incredibly contentious... the fight was horrendous," said Snyder, speaking after a hearing with the U.S. Trustee's office in the Fritz Lanham federal building in Fort Worth.

The heated exchange poured into the hallway with Greenberg's attorney Tom Lauria and Lou Strubeck, representing Snyder, attracting a small crowd.

But the barrage failed to dissuade Snyder, who rejected Greenberg's demand, as he had done at 8:30 p.m. The Pittsburgh sports attorney then came back with a large overbid shortly before 1 a.m. Cuban and his partner, Jim Crane of Houston, folded.

The CRO shed light on Cuban's dilemmas during the auction, saying that the team's major creditors who had promised to extend him loans tried to scuttle the Mavericks owner's efforts by striking a deal with Greenberg the night before the auction. The judge ordered the auction be held. Then the lenders supplied financial documents that didn't clearly bind them to deliver on the promised loans, Snyder said.

At this impasse, Cuban and Crane of Houston agreed to personally put up $100 million to bridge any shortfall in funding, Snyder disclosed. The auction went ahead despite Greenberg's argument that his rivals missed the bid deadline.

Snyder said sports commentators got it wrong by asserting that Cuban connived with the banks to pump up the value of Rangers debt, which he had admitted buying some in late 2009.

In fact, the Dallas billionaire's investment was not in first-lien Hicks Sports Group debt, but in far less valuable second-lien paper -- and nowhere near $2 million as some reported.

"I understand he bought just enough to have standing in court," the CRO said. "You could have bought the entire second-lien debt for that."

While some first-lien debt sold as low as 40 cents on the dollar, second-lien loans probably could have been snapped up for much less, he went on.

Greenberg did not respond to a request for comment while Cuban declined to comment.

Snyder also said that if former owner Tom Hicks had funded an escrow account as required by Major League Baseball for ex-players' deferred pay, upwards of $47 million more could have gone to pay off creditors.

The restructuring officer figured that Hicks took home $60 million of the $525 million when he refinanced in 2006, but had put all of that back into the Rangers plus plowed in another $40 million more by the time he defaulted on the debt in March 2009.

With the Rangers sold out of bankruptcy and a Dallas Stars sale for about $150 million or more possible in the coming months, first-lien holders should end up being fully repaid while second-lien holders would receive a "nice dividend," he said. (The amount of financial pain or gain depends on how much the banks and private equity firms paid for the debt, which fluctuated widely in value.) A source close to the hockey team's sale efforts said he expected no major developments for about six weeks.

"They are now at each others' throats," Snyder said of the two groups of lenders, but added: "I think it will fix itself."

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/13/2465605/restructuring-officer-sheds-new.html#ixzz0zXAHwkNq

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: September 14, 2010, 10:02:57 pm »
ali, you know what businesses Hicks has got left? Want to find out his business associates...

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #953 on: September 14, 2010, 10:26:19 pm »
Few months old this but some good info at the end.

Tom Hicks beginning a new chapter in his business life

08:35 PM CDT on Sunday, May 30, 2010
By GARY JACOBSON and BRENDAN CASE / The Dallas Morning News
gjacobson@dallasnews.com
bcase@dallasnews.com
His reputation badly bruised by his debt-laden sports teams, Tom Hicks is beginning a new chapter in his business life at an age when many think about retiring.

Colleagues say the 64-year-old private-equity pioneer hasn't lost any zest for the acquisition game. Indeed, in recent years, he put together multimillion-dollar deals in energy, technology and health care.

Also Online Link: Hicks Holdings

Full coverage: Tom Hicks

Blog: Rangers
And, after a short drought, more deals are in the works, he said in a wide-ranging interview with The Dallas Morning News.

"This year, we're back on offense," said Hicks, flanked by two of his sons at a conference table in his offices at the Crescent in Uptown Dallas.

He said he expects to close on a "sizable" buyout of a consumer-products firm this summer. He's also exploring the creation of a second special-purpose acquisition company – a "blank-check" company in which investors essentially bet on a management team's deal-making ability.

His first special-purpose company combined with an energy firm last year, generating paper gains of more than $100 million so far for Hicks and his key employees.

Within the next two years, he also could initiate a public stock offering for a specialty steel company he bought in 2006.

Amid those successes, he's still trying to extricate himself from his troubled pro sports business, a process that is becoming increasingly costly in reputation and money.

The Texas Rangers filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last week, hoping to expedite a sale to a group led by Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg and Rangers president Nolan Ryan. Angry creditors, who say they should be getting more money, are fighting the move.

Hicks also is in a legal battle with a former partner and vendors over the failed Glorypark project, once envisioned as a sprawling development including restaurants, retail and office space near Rangers Ballpark in Arlington and Cowboys Stadium.

Efforts to sell the Dallas Stars  and the Liverpool F.C. soccer team are progressing, Hicks said. He expects to lose a "couple hundred million" dollars on the Rangers and Stars but make it back on Liverpool, although estimates of the soccer team's worth range widely.

If fans of his U.S. teams are angry at his stewardship, Liverpool supporters are absolutely livid. They have organized protest marches, threatened a ticket boycott and accused Hicks and co-owner George Gillett of ruining their team because they saddled it with debt.

"Get out of our club, You lying b*stards," one Liverpool loyalist wrote in an online comment to a recent story in The News.

Hicks said he once didn't mind the high-profile glare that comes with team ownership. But now he is tired of it, especially the abuse. "I've had all the publicity I want to have," he said. "I want some privacy for my family."

Boom and bust

Those following Hicks' problems with his sports teams might think he has lost his investing touch.

Not so, says Dallas developer Harlan Crow, son of the late Trammell Crow.

"My family continues to invest with Tom, so I wouldn't agree with that characterization," Crow said.

Whatever else, Hicks is resilient. Over three decades of business cycles, he has been declared a buyout genius as well as a bust. In 2002, D Magazine ran a cover story asking, "Is Tom Hicks Going Broke?" In 2006,  BusinessWeek declared that Hicks, the dealmaker, was back.

One adviser described Hicks early in his buyout career as a smart guy who got things done with his wits, bluffing and poker-playing. His style hasn't changed much, the adviser said.

Hicks grew up partly in Dallas and partly in Port Arthur, where he spun records in the 1960s as a teenage disc jockey at his father's radio station. He said he was a big fan of the Beatles and Bee Gees.

Educated at the University of Texas at Austin  and the University of Southern California's business school, Hicks began his career with stints as a venture capital executive in New York and Dallas.

Then came his transition from financial executive to buyout artist. He minted his first fortune in the 1980s with partner Robert Haas, using a "buy and build" approach in which two or more companies would be combined into a more valuable whole.

In perhaps their most celebrated deal, they assembled the pieces of what would become Dr Pepper/Seven Up Cos., which later sold for $2.5 billion.

"With Hicks & Haas, that's one of the all-time best-performing buyout funds ever," said Steven Kaplan, a University of Chicago professor who follows the private-equity business.

Hicks did it again in the 1990s, at least for a while. With another group of partners, he led Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst Inc. to the upper echelons of the private-equity world, raising more than $12 billion from investors and closing more than $50 billion of leveraged acquisitions.

He also made missteps. The firm lost about $1 billion of its investors' money by buying into telecom and Internet companies shortly before markets peaked in 2000. Hicks took another blow in Argentina, when the firm's investments soured amid a 2001-02 economic crisis there.

"Hicks Muse had a few good funds, but it turned out to be too big," Kaplan said. "They did some deals that were off strategy."

'A lot of fun'

Now Hicks is exiting the sports business, but you wouldn't know it walking into his firm's offices. The lobby features piles of books on baseball and hockey.

A replica of the Stanley Cup stands in front of a photograph of a jubilant Hicks posing with Dallas Stars players after their 1999 championship. Another photo shows Rangers players dousing the team owner with beer after they won a division title.

"The whole sports investment in the U.S. has been a lot of fun," he said. "It hasn't been a successful financial investment."

He never exited the private-equity business. After leaving Hicks Muse, he launched Hicks Holdings LLC in early 2005 and later that year began a flurry of deals before world markets went into freefall in 2008.

There was a North Texas liquid crystal display maker, a Pennsylvania specialty steelmaker and a San Diego data analysis company that may be poised to cash in on the nation's need to deliver better medical care for less.

The Rangers sale includes about 150 acres around the Ballpark, but even after that, Hicks will continue to control potentially valuable real estate  there. He has land in Frisco and Cedar Park (near Austin), plus substantial acreage in Argentina, where he is developing residential and resort projects and maybe even a winery someday.

He has sold his stake in the W Dallas project, but still holds a small share of the W Hollywood development in Los Angeles . He remains proud of his role in developing American Airlines Center, one of the most successful sports arenas in the country.

"It's changed the whole personality of downtown Dallas, Uptown," he said.

Last year, he pulled off a major deal, engineered largely on the strength of his name. It began in October 2007, when Hicks Acquisition Company I raised about $550 million in a public offering. The company had two years to acquire or merge with another company, or otherwise dissolve.

A deal for a packaging company, announced in mid-2008, fell apart with the world markets later that year. Then, just before the dissolution date last September, Hicks Acquisition merged with a Colorado oil company to form Resolute Energy. Talks began over the Fourth of July weekend and the deal closed Sept. 25.

As the economy has improved, Resolute's stock price has increased, bolstering Hicks' gains.

Now, he's on the prowl for more deals, he said.

"You want to invest in times when good prices can be obtained," he said. "This is one of the better times we've seen right now. Our motto around the firm is, 'We want to shoot fish in a barrel.' We think this environment is good."

For years, Hicks pursued a high-risk, high-reward business model that paid off during an era of easy credit. His biggest successes – and failures – were built on mountains of debt.

Those days of easy credit and high leverage are gone, he acknowledges. But he says he and his investing team, which includes sons Tommy and Mack, have learned to play by new rules.

Dary Stone of Cousins Properties, a longtime Hicks adviser, acknowledged that the commercial real estate industry is on hold for the near future. But Hicks' real estate holdings are "stable and not under stress," largely because they "don't have much leverage," Stone said.

The Argentine businesses, including a pet food and animal feed company called Grupo Pilar, with $60 million in annual revenue, have little debt.

"And if we do borrow, it's in local currencies," Tommy Hicks said.

The elder Hicks – who lives in what's considered Dallas' most expensive home, a $41 million compound on 25 acres on Walnut Hill Lane – said he has largely avoided making personal guarantees for business loans. He said he's personally on the hook for only about $80 million in Liverpool F.C. debt.

Stepping back from private-equity megadeals and professional sports ownership may leave more room for family. Hicks is eager to talk about how closely he's working with Tommy and Mack, who are both veterans of New York financial firms. He insisted on having his photograph for this story taken only with them.

His third son works for the Rangers, while his fourth son is in the Navy's officer candidate school. His fifth son is about to enter Princeton University and his sixth child, a daughter, is in high school. She can drive a golf ball farther than he can, he says.

He downsized from a Gulfstream V to a more economical Gulfstream IV a few years ago, and Tommy and Mack say they fly on American Airlines when they go to Argentina. With a net worth estimated by a Forbes editor at $900 million to $950 million, Hicks dropped off the magazine's list of billionaires earlier this year.

"I'm not sure I ever should have been on," he said.

HICKS' BUSINESS LIFE CYCLE 1984: Tom Hicks co-founds Hicks & Haas Inc. with Robert Haas. Their signature deals include A&W Brands, Dr Pepper/Seven Up Cos. and Thermadyne Corp. Hicks and Haas later split up.
1989:  Hicks co-founds what would become Hicks Muse Tate & Furst Inc. Over the next 15 years, its signature deals include Capstar Broadcasting, Chancellor Media, Pinnacle Foods, Triton Energy and a significant stake in Clear Channel Communications.

1996: Hicks buys the Dallas Stars for $84 million. The Stars win the Stanley Cup in 1999.

1998: Hicks buys the Texas Rangers for $250 million. Two years later, he signs superstar Alex Rodriguez to a landmark 10-year, $252 million deal.

2002: After Hicks Muse's Internet, telecom and Latin American investments lose big, D Magazine runs a story headlined: "Is Tom Hicks Going Broke?" The infamous cover illustration shows Hicks with empty hands outstretched and his pockets turned inside out. It isn't really Hicks in the picture.

2004: Hicks says he will leave Hicks Muse to spend more time with his family and teams.

2005: Hicks forms Hicks Holdings LLC. Its first acquisition is Ocular LCD Inc.

2006:

•Hicks Holdings launches Glorypark, a 75-acre urban town center adjacent to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington; forms a company to provide bundled TV, voice, data, security and other services to apartment complexes; acquires Greatwide Logistics Services for $730 million (it owns about 20 percent) and Latrobe Specialty Steel Co. in a deal valued at $250 million (it invests $16 million for a 51 percent stake).

•BusinessWeek magazine declares that Hicks, the dealmaker, is back.

2007:

•Hicks and George Gillett acquire the Liverpool F.C. soccer team in a deal equivalent to about $430 million at the time. The team's debt quickly escalates.

•Hicks Acquisition Company I raises $550 million in an initial public offering, making it the largest IPO of its kind.

2008:

•Hicks Sports Group retains advisers to assist with restructuring or selling the Rangers.

•Greatwide Logistics Services files Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

March 2009: Hicks stops making interest-only payments on $525 million in loans related to the Rangers and Stars as he renegotiates the teams' debt.

April 2009:  Hicks sells the Mesquite Championship Rodeo after a decade of ownership.

January 2010:

•Hicks sells his three-acre Aspen estate for $18.5 million.

•Hicks Sports Group reaches agreement to sell the Rangers to a group headed by Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan.

April: Hicks and Gillett announce they're trying to sell Liverpool F.C. Hicks says the team is worth $860 million to $1.15 billion at current exchange rates. Other estimates are much lower.

May: The Rangers file prepackaged bankruptcy in an effort to speed the sale to the Greenberg-Ryan group. The filing indicates the team still owes A-Rod nearly $25 million in deferred compensation.
RECENT DEALS Tom Hicks has made numerous deals since forming Hicks Holdings LLC in 2005. Among them:

OCULAR LCD INC.: In late 2005, Hicks Holdings bought a majority stake in Ocular, a North Texas maker of liquid crystal displays. Christina Weaver Vest, a Hicks partner in equity ventures, said Ocular grew "very strongly" in 2009 and is poised to grow again this year.

GREATWIDE LOGISTICS SERVICES: At the end of 2006, Hicks Holdings made what turned out to be a mistake when it teamed with Investcorp to buy Dallas-based Greatwide for $730 million. The trucking company declared bankruptcy when the economy tanked in 2008, making Hicks Holdings' 20 percent stake worthless. Hicks and his investors probably lost between $20 million and $30 million, one Hicks adviser says. Greatwide exited bankruptcy in 2009 with new owners.

LATROBE SPECIALTY STEEL CO.: In late 2006, Hicks Holdings and a Massachusetts firm bought Latrobe for $215 million in cash plus about $35 million in assumed liabilities. Hicks put in $16 million in equity for 51 percent of the Latrobe, Pa.-based company, which serves aerospace customers and other specialty markets. In the first nine months of 2006, it brought in $42 million in earnings before interest and taxes, on sales of $266 million. In a cyclical industry, Hicks said Latrobe was especially hurt by the economic crash in 2008. But that's past and the company has invested $50 million in new capacity and is growing, Hicks said. "I think it will likely be a public company in the next two years," he said.

GAMMALOY HOLDINGS LP: In April 2007, Hicks sold oilfield equipment rental company Gammaloy Holdings LP to National Oilwell Varco Inc. He got nearly $200 million after acquiring Gammaloy from his wife's family in the 1990s and building it up through investment and other acquisitions.

ANVITA HEALTH: In June 2007, Hicks Holdings acquired a 40 percent stake in San Diego-based SafeMed Inc., which is now called Anvita Health. The company offers data analysis designed to foster better, more cost-effective medical care. Hicks said Anvita has global potential and is translating some of its software into Chinese for one client. Hicks Holdings has increased its stake slightly, Vest said.

Gary Jacobson and Brendan Case
[
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:42 am »
That's not journalism, that's pr. But as you say, useful info in one place.

Offline storey1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #955 on: September 16, 2010, 12:50:26 am »

This article on Hicks dealings at Texas Rangers appeared in real gm baseball on 12th sept, I copied and pasted the Hicks bit there s a link to it all below worth a read, it has nothing new but it shows how well they are doing so quickly after they got rid that it makes you feel positive that if only we could do the same we could be back on track pretty soon too. Hey we live in hope.

The Ghost of Rangers Past

The fact that Tom Hicks can now be called “former owner of the Texas Rangers” has got to be a delight to the team’s fans. What it took for that to happen is a story that began what must seem like a long, long time ago. To say that bad financial decisions were made under Hicks’ watch would be like saying the folks at Enron simply bent the rules a tad. The vast number of zeroes preceded by dollar signs that were doled out while Hicks was running the team was mind-boggling given the lack of success the team experienced.

In the order of least to most financially crippling, here are a sampling of the contracts handed out by Hicks and company coupled with a few stats to compare performance versus pay:

Mark Clark (who?) – two years, $9.3 million, 1999. In what turned out to be his last two seasons in professional baseball, Clark produced an 8.37 ERA in 27 games (23 starts) over two seasons whilst laughing all the way to the bank.

Ken Caminiti – two years, $9.5 million, 2001. The late Caminiti cashed in on his Houston and San Diego days, but didn’t even make it to August of 2001 before he was released by the team after posting a slash line of .232/.318/.432.

Juan Gonzalez – two years, $24 million, 2002. Long a suspected user of steroids, Gonzalez broke down physically during the life of this contract, producing what seems like a respectable 32 home runs over 642 plate appearances until you realize that it was over two seasons.

Kevin Millwood – 5 years, $60 million, 2006. In his nine years prior to signing with the Rangers, Millwood had six seasons with an ERA above 4.00. Hicks was obviously paying for the other three.

Chan Ho Park – five years, $65 million, 2002. While Park wasn’t the only starting pitcher signing an exorbitant contract during this time period (Mike Hampton, anyone?), in his three full seasons in Texas, he ended up compiling an ERA that was nearly 2.5 runs higher than his previous two seasons with the Dodgers.

Michael Young - five years, $80 million extension, 2007. Young is different from those that precede him on this list, as he had a proven track record of success. However, he is now a full time third baseman, not a shortstop, providing slightly above average offense, but being paid like a superstar.

Alex Rodriguez – ten years, $252 million, 2001. A-Rod performed exactly as you would have expected him to before the Rangers traded him to the Yankees for Alfonso Soriano. The residual effect of this contract/trade continues to haunt the franchise as they still owe close to $25 million to the Yankees’ third baseman.

While, admittedly, all of the contracts listed were not solely Hicks’ doing, as he had the “help” of his General Manager at the time, contracts of this magnitude require the man at the top to sign off on the deal. What we eventually found out is that player payroll was not the only financial trouble that Hicks was in. He had racked up over $500+ million in debt, which led to a nasty sequence of events.

In an attempt to get out from under the mountain of debt, Hicks was forced to put the team up for sale. While attempting to complete a deal with an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg and Rangers legend Nolan Ryan, his creditors were not willing to sign off on the deal under the suspicion that there was a more lucrative offer out there. Hicks then decided that claiming bankruptcy was the answer to all of his problems, forcing Major League Baseball to seize control of the team for the time being. All the while, the Rangers were proving themselves to be one of the top teams in the American League and felt that they had significant holes to fill in order to be a legitimate World Series contender, but more on that later.

The legacy of Tom Hicks will live on, but he will no longer be rubber stamping any more deals in the lone star state. The sale to Nolan Ryan and Chuck Greenberg eventually was approved via an auction overseen by a bankruptcy judge. Needless to say, it was a messy end to a messy era in Rangers baseball.

Read more: http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_teamarticle/662/20100912/texas_rangers_in_flux/#ixzz0ze2jzPvs
Slowly but surely the cogs of the red machine are beginning to turn again.

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: September 17, 2010, 03:57:23 pm »

Any news on whether Hicks sold that land in the end, or held onto it?

Offline Seantheprawn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #957 on: September 17, 2010, 06:40:07 pm »
I'm not sure he has Jack - was it not part of the courts' repossession order or was it seperate?
I have a question for Tim, if he's about?
How is it possible that a man who defaults massively in the U.S and more recently here too is still somehow able to get finance; unsecuritised or securitised at a better rate than the one he had initially with RBS before the reneg???
WHEN BUSH WAS TALKING ABOUT  "THE EVIL DO-ERS OF THIS WORLD" HE WAS TALKING ABOUT OUR PREVIOUS SHITE-ARSED CUSTODIANS!!
THE SO-CALLED "AXIS OF EVIL" IS FOUND ACROSS THE FURROWED BROW ON HICKS' FAT HEAD.

Twitter: @seanmck75

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: September 22, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »
Stars Sale: Gallacher Out, Hicks Possibly Back In?

by Art Middleton on Sep 22, 2010 10:29 AM CDT

So you're probably feeling a little down over the Stars first loss last night but still you're not feeling too bad as to be fair it's only pre-season and the sun is still out (well at least it is where I am living) and it's the first day of fall.

Well, John Shannon of Sportsnet up in Canada is ready to sour your morning a little more with a pair of tweets...

Confirmation today from League source, that Calgary Billionaire Bill Gallacher is out of running in purchase of Dallas Stars.

That was his first tweet this morning.  That in itself is kinda disappointing for Stars fans who were hoping to have a dedicated hockey fan as the next owner of their hockey team.  Of course this is a rumor from a league source and it should be taken with a grain of salt until we hear something official from the Gallacher office if we hear anything at all.  For all we know it could be posturing... that's how these things sometimes go when it comes to negotiating.

But four minutes later Mr. Shannon had an even more ominous tweet...

There is expectation that local groups will re-emerge to buys Stars,including a possibility that Tom Hicks will form group to buy team back.

Oh boy.

Now before you all start rushing for the closest bridge, again this is all just speculation.  This is not to say for sure Hicks will be back in the picture and even if he is it doesn't necessarily mean as majority owner.  It may be a case where - like in the Rangers sale - he has a very small sliver of involvement with a local ownership group.

Not to mention, Hicks was just recently shut out of additional funding that he sought in his ownership of Liverpool FC to give him an additional two years to sell that club.  So it's not like his financial issues are getting any better or are any better than they were a year or two ago.

And not to be forgotten in all of this, maybe with Gallacher out this opens up things Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi to purchase the team.  Again, it's all speculation right now.  About the only thing we know for sure is that this sale is turning into a more drawn out process than I am sure most of us had expected it to be.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2010/9/22/1703937/stars-sale-gallacher-out-hicks

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #959 on: September 22, 2010, 09:41:12 pm »
Surely the MLB would not let him buy the club back?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.