Author Topic: International Cricket 2022 - 2023 - General Thread  (Read 913689 times)

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: International Cricket 2009-2010 - General Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 12, 2010, 02:29:53 pm »
Cant help but lol

They've got a nation of billion, but cant find a replacement for a couple players. Fine if it was a in a country where it's not the No1 sport. But it is there

One of the replacement who finally played was a replacement to the guy who was the replacement to the first team player.  ;)

You don't know what you are talking about, there have been lots of players who stepped up. Just this particular instance the new guys didn't. Nothing taken away from SA of course, they were too good. But the selectors are doing a fine job anyway.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: February 12, 2010, 02:42:02 pm »
Cant help but lol

They've got a nation of billion, but cant find a replacement for a couple players. Fine if it was a in a country where it's not the No1 sport. But it is there

To be fair mate, Dravid and Laxman are two of the best players from their generation. Two of the best in the world. Replacing them will not be easy no matter how big your population is.

Agree that we really fail to find fast strike bowlers, but that's probably due to the pitches that are prepared.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #362 on: February 12, 2010, 06:22:41 pm »
Has Sharma regressed then? Or choked on his ludicrously sized Adams Apple?

Offline sat

• urday's my half day off, and off to the match I go
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »
Has Sharma regressed then? Or choked on his ludicrously sized Adams Apple?
He hasnt played any test cricket so difficult to assess whether he has regressed, he was due to make his debut during the last test but was taken ill on the day of the match so they had to play the Bluenoses no 8. Agreed about his adams apple :)
I still dont understand why the selectors dont play Kohli, I think it will be just a matter of time given his 1 day performances. be interesting to see what type of pitch is prepared for the second test on Sunday.

Offline sat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2010, 09:58:42 am »
The test match is looking quite interesting now, what a collapse by SA almost on par with India's in the first test.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
Fucking Harbhajan Singh!!!  :no
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:52 pm »
yeah he was due a big performance a long time coming. SA were in total control of the game but few minutes and all changed.  ;D still I'd think they could have stopped the rot at that. To lose 7 for 30-40, that's how you end up losing matches. SA still have to bowl though and you never know what happens.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2010, 03:23:01 pm »
Really enjoyed Kieron Pollard's innings earlier today.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #368 on: February 14, 2010, 03:24:41 pm »
Mid and tail collapse which is something SA tend to be good at sometimes. Wickets tumble and we just can't stop it. Need a big day from the bowlers tomorrow.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2010, 03:38:18 pm »
Mid and tail collapse which is something SA tend to be good at sometimes. Wickets tumble and we just can't stop it. Need a big day from the bowlers tomorrow.

It's the Eden Gardens and Laxman is playing.  :D He has always been consistent and good for India but it's been a long time since we've have a truly very very special innings from him. A win here would mean we'll stay no.1 and it's his magical ground so the script is all set.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: February 14, 2010, 03:40:12 pm »
It's the Eden Gardens and Laxman is playing.  :D He has always been consistent and good for India but it's been a long time since we've have a truly very very special innings from him. A win here would mean we'll stay no.1 and it's his magical ground so the script is all set.

Certainly set up for a good test match! Will be interesting to see how SA respond to the late crumble of wickets. But we definitely have the bowlers to play a good game! And come back strong

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »
Really poor effort from the rest of our batsmen bar Amla and Pieterson, we were well set to post a really good first innings score and then poor shot selection let us down. India bowled alot better in the last session, a good pitch though, there is movement for the quicks and spin too so should be an interesting match
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline sat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »
The first session tomorrow will be the key, if India get off to a flyer and can negotiate Steyn then I am expecting a decent first innings lead but a few wickets for SA then the match will be in the balance. As someone said earlier this is Eden gardens and Harbhajan/Laxman have fantastic records here. Harbhajan has started off well, now over to VVS...

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #373 on: February 15, 2010, 09:19:31 am »
Solid batting by India. Went out all guns blazing and are now 40 behind with 8 wickets left. Sachin and Sehwag in the middle and have played really well so far. I reckon India could get a lead of about 80-odd tonight without losing more than 2 wickets.
C'est la vie.

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2010, 12:47:42 pm »
Tendulkar got his 47th century and after that a mini collapse to end the day at 340 odd for 5.Both Sehwag and Sachin gone.Need to grind out atleast a 150 run lead tomorrow.

Offline sat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2010, 09:03:27 pm »
Hopefully the last 5 batsmen can muster another 160 odd. Just waiting for VVS to show his class at Eden Gardens again

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:10 am »
VVS and Dhoni have taken the game away from SA now.

VVS on 97 and Dhoni on 85 at tea. India 252 ahead on 548/6.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:48 pm »
SA playing for the draw! Need to hold on for 2 days of batting.

Does anyone know if we draw this game what happens to the number 1 spot? Do they still retain it if we draw this game? I know they retain it if we draw the series.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »
SA playing for the draw! Need to hold on for 2 days of batting.

Does anyone know if we draw this game what happens to the number 1 spot? Do they still retain it if we draw this game? I know they retain it if we draw the series.

I believe SA have to win the test to go level with points with us at the top of the rankings.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2010, 02:57:47 pm »
I believe SA have to win the test to go level with points with us at the top of the rankings.

Ah ok so you guys still no 1. Fair enough, SA are not winning this test, it's draw or lose now.

Offline sat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2010, 09:54:53 pm »
I actually thought a win in the series would be good enough for SA to become no.1. So India need to get those 10 wickets over the next day and a half to retain number 1 spot, over to you Mr Singh to show your class at Eden Gardens again.....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:56:26 pm by sat »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »
If SA win this 1-0, both teams are number 1. If it's an India win, and thus 1-1 in the series, India are number 1.
C'est la vie.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2010, 10:02:04 pm »
Neither of them should be number one frankly.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:01 pm »
I would prefer SA to be number 1 as they actually care about Test cricket.  I feel a little bit dirty saying that :(

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2010, 10:11:17 pm »
I would prefer SA to be number 1 as they actually care about Test cricket.  I feel a little bit dirty saying that :(
To be fair, they probably deserve to be. But it's a sad indictment of the standard of the other teams if they are. If they had any balls at all - or if Smith had a clue about declarations - they would have smashed England.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2010, 10:11:31 pm »
Neither of them should be number one frankly.

Says the Englishman..  8)

The BCCI is hardly representative of the entire country though, is it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:19:01 pm by Una cerveza, por favor »
C'est la vie.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #386 on: February 16, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »
Says the Englishman..  8)
Give it a rest, I didn't say England were better, nor do I think that.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:18 pm »
Give it a rest, I didn't say England were better, nor do I think that.

I'm not saying that you think England should be number 1, just that it sounds like sour grapes.. :) Who should be number 1 then?
C'est la vie.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:04 pm »
I'm not saying that you think England should be number 1, just that it sounds like sour grapes.. :) Who should be number 1 then?
Well it wasn't fucking sour grapes so don't assume!

As I said, probably SA, but that says more about the deficiencies of all the teams than about SA's strengths.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2010, 10:27:14 pm »
Well it wasn't fucking sour grapes so don't assume!

As I said, probably SA, but that says more about the deficiencies of all the teams than about SA's strengths.

OK, if you say so. Sorry  :-[

So tell me, what teams have deficiences that are preventing them from rightfully, according to you, displacing SA from the No. 1 spot (assuming they were, which they aren't).
C'est la vie.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #390 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:10 pm »
OK, if you say so. Sorry  :-[

So tell me, what teams have deficiences that are preventing them from rightfully, according to you, displacing SA from the No. 1 spot (assuming they were, which they aren't).
Fine

Australia are rebuilding and need a quality spinner. Ponting also an appalling captain.
Pakistan mercurial and inconsistent
India unconvincing away from home and when conditions are not set up for them, and batting lineup ageing
England need a quickie and another class bat, progressing though

WI, NZ way off

If SA had a spinner worthy of the name, and an ounce of bottle, they'd be streets ahead.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: February 16, 2010, 10:36:35 pm »
This test series, and the previous ones between England and SA, as well as the Ashes, goes to show their isn't much between the four teams. For me, that's a great thing for Test cricket.

I think the standard of batting is still very high. Test run rates of 3.5+ is brilliant for the game.

I don't think anyone would argue that the standard of fast bowling is still very good.

As for India at the top, why shouldn't they be there? They don't lose test series' at home and have won test away from home all over the world in recent years. They have probably the best batting line-up and a decent attack.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:58 pm »
Fine

Australia are rebuilding and need a quality spinner. Ponting also an appalling captain.
India unconvincing away from home and when conditions are not set up for them, and batting lineup ageing

WI, NZ way off

If SA had a spinner worthy of the name, and an ounce of bottle, they'd be streets ahead.

Still no reasons why India shouldn't be top though, Mate.

It's not India's fault that the Aussies are rebuilding (would take some serious work to get to their previous heights), and that England are two players short, and that SA can't find a spinner. India have their own deficiencies.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #393 on: February 16, 2010, 10:41:06 pm »
Still no reasons why India shouldn't be top though, Mate.
None at all. Don't think there is much to choose between the top 4 as you said. I also never said SA should definitely be No. 1.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #394 on: February 16, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »
Fine

WI, NZ way off

Finally, something to debate.. :P

Pakistan, NZ, England and WI belong nowhere near the mantle of best test team, in my humble opinion.

Australia, India and South Africa are the best teams in tests and there could be arguments for either of the 3 to be in there.

Australia is on the wane. I am not a fan of Ponting but their problems lie deeper than that. Been on the decline since the legends of Aussie cricket retired. What a team Steve Waugh had!

South Africa need a spinner, yes. But to say they would be ahead of India on if's and but's remains to be seen.

India has some senior members in the side but to say they only win - a) at home; and b) when the conditions are tailor-made for their batsmen is ironic considering SA won the 1st test on a batsman's paradise and the current Test in Calcutta, which India lead, had a decent cover of grass and there were fear's by the BCCI that India would lose again (in fact, they were at loggerheads with Jagmohan Dalmiya and the CAB for this very reason).

Having said that, South Africa are probably an inch ahead of India as a test team, in my opinion. You also have to remember that India have had some serious injuries and the last time the entire squad was together, they were well on their way of beating England 7-0, albeit in ODI's.
C'est la vie.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #395 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:52 pm »
We're not discussing ODIs so you can leave that right out  ;D

Don't know how you can leave England a tier below the other 3 when their record against the other 'Top 4' stands comparison with everyone elses, is in fact probably superior to some. Beat Australia, drew with SA in SA.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: February 16, 2010, 10:52:27 pm »
I know it's 15 months away but can't wait for India to tour next summer. 4 tests and it's going to be epic.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: February 16, 2010, 10:52:38 pm »
So Una, if we asked Indian fans if they would prefer to be ranked number 1 in Test cricket or win the Twenty20/One day world cup, which would be more popular?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #398 on: February 16, 2010, 10:52:51 pm »
We're not discussing ODIs so you can leave that right out  ;D

Don't know how you can leave England a tier below the other 3 when their record against the other 'Top 4' stands comparison with everyone elses, is in fact probably superior to some. Beat Australia, drew with SA in SA.

I've got to be honest here. The 7-0 was simply a mean little dig at you people. *devilish smiley*

Not saying England are a tier below, just that they are closer to Pakistan as a test team rather than SA. And yeah, we all know how England got the draw in SA.  :nirnir
C'est la vie.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2010, 10:54:08 pm »
And yeah, we all know how England got the draw in SA.  :nirnir
Yep, by having bigger balls than South Africa.