Author Topic: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction  (Read 69834 times)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Re: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction
« Reply #560 on: August 16, 2009, 09:27:58 pm »
Yossi and Reina apart we were Fucking awful today.

Offline indi_lfc

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #561 on: August 16, 2009, 09:28:06 pm »
All this negagtivity about lucas is bullshit. He played well today. I agree lucas has not got the passing like alonso but no need to slate the guy or compare him to alonso. There are not many players we could buy that could replace alonso.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: August 16, 2009, 09:30:22 pm »
Babel was given a real chance and a real show of confidence today and simply shat all over it. When you see performances like that today, and being honest you see them more often than the Madrid ones, you begin to wonder if he'll ever cut it here. He was just completely on the periphery and lost the ball when he did occasionally have it. Riera as average as he can be sometimes just doesn't play that badly and at least retains possession.

Basically one …Babel…..may remind you of a shit that was a little runny while Riera has more of a solid shit feeling about him. All told neither  are good enough to be our #1 guy on the left. Benayoun should be that guy even though his best is always on the right thus you have to wonder why is not one of the shits sold at this stage for a new guy?
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline wet echo

• trapped paper puncher in need of a work out
  • Kopite
« Reply #563 on: August 16, 2009, 09:31:15 pm »
He doesn't have to be Zidanesque on the ball, he doesn't even need to be Xabiesque. Look at Roy Keane, not the most naturally gifted or creative on the ball but he was well able to run a game and Masch is more than capable of it too. I've seen him do it for Argentina enough times, especially in the Copa America of 2007.

The fact is we're not replacing the Alonso role, its clear Rafa has other ideas such as one holding player (Masch) and one roaming midfielder with license to support a bit more (Lucas/Aquilani) as opposed to the two deeper lying midfielders we used previously Xabi/Masch/Hamman/Momo/Igor.

I know Lucas is the one that's going to carry the can in the next few weeks and that's very unfair. Masch is going to have to step up and do more as well and like I said I believe he's more than capable, but he didn't show it today and if anything Lucas was the better of the two.
very sensible post my friend

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #564 on: August 16, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »
very good points notayesman-i think if ever we had a luxury that was xabi (doesn't score goals a lot for a midfield but when he's gone you just notice... oh yeah. that's why...). agree with you with our upcoming change in philosophy to a more attack minded one; once albert arrives, you'll probably see gerrard and alberto swapping a lot with an occasional cameo from masch and we'll be much fluid.

think you're a bit hard on masch though- to me he does what makelele did but in a more mobile role- he doesn't use his positioning to break plays as a classic dm would but rather uses his agility and movement to disrupt the opposition. add to that he can carry the ball upwards too, way beyond than claude did in his pomp.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:39:21 pm by buchigo! »
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline AmericanPoolFan

• RAWK's Gay Dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • why am I that
« Reply #565 on: August 16, 2009, 09:34:28 pm »
A lot of our players looked un fit. Players haven't had enough game time in pre season. Gerrard has to play instead of lucas. Yossi needs to play gerrards role.

I don't think he'll do it though, my guess is he'll do a one for one switch Benayoun for Babel.  But I'd much rather have what you recommend.  Benayoun in Gerrard's role behind Torres and Gerrard in for Lucas.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: August 16, 2009, 09:34:33 pm »
But Gerrard is better than him back there. We are in the business of winning games, and many of us feel that Gerrard in central midfield with Yossi in front is better for the team than Lucas in midfield with Gerrard in front. I'm sorry if that pushes Lucas out of the picture but if we send out the same team as last year for 40 games with the only change being Lucas for Alonso then we aren't going to be as good.

Well I don't and Gerrard showed very little when he did drop back there apart from give the ball away more times than Lucas did in the whole game. And surely Aquilani is going to make an appearance at some point.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: August 16, 2009, 09:34:43 pm »
Riera's a million times better than Babel. Which says as much about Babel's never ending capacity for shitness as it does about Riera.

Riera is a decent player actually, we'd all like John Barnes back on the left wing but unfortunately that's not gonna happen so Riera it is, and the Spaniard deserves more credit than he gets around here.

Babel however, deserves none. He's fucking rubbish and we should've already got shot of him.

Offline alan dixon

• Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96 NEVER BUY THE S-N
« Reply #568 on: August 16, 2009, 09:35:20 pm »
lucs ws ok today lpool deserved fuck all they were shit  absoulte bollocks didnt play on the deck and were shite babel fuckin awful had a free headrer and lost it fuckin dreadful !
WERE NOT ENGLISH WE ARE SCOUSE

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: August 16, 2009, 09:39:14 pm »
Well, like us all, I'm fucking depressed.  Here starts the rollercoaster of footy weekends again. This one is the bad kind, where we lose ground, there'll be others when we are euphoric...  its another season.

I actually thought Lucas stepped up really well, bit disappointed in Mascherano and (in a lesser way) Gerrard. Given that Lucas as a young lad was given the anchor role to replace Alonso in the engineroom, and that he was abused by the 'supporters' last year.. I'd have hoped the senior players might try to help him a bit more. Just my thoughts, but Lucas was one of our better performers.  Re Mascherano, I wonder if the Barcelona tap-up has gone away?  Babel was a real disappointment.  Handed the chance to make a starting place in our team for the season, once again he completely shows disinterest and a serious lack of quality and desire. I don't see a future for that fella. Well, not at Anfield. 

Seems to me we need Aurelio, Riera and especially Agger back fit ASAP.  I really think Agger needs in (sadly ahead of Carra now)..   makes such a difference to the way we set up to play.

Yossi take a bow.  Wonder how he was benched today? Our best player for a big part of last year.  Made us a different team when he came on.

But the thing that disturbs me most.  How the hell can a team, which for the most part has been together for 2 years, look like they were badly prepared and like strangers for the first hour. Can't fathom that.

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: August 16, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »
He doesn't have to be Zidanesque on the ball, he doesn't even need to be Xabiesque. Look at Roy Keane, not the most naturally gifted or creative on the ball but he was well able to run a game and Masch is more than capable of it too. I've seen him do it for Argentina enough times, especially in the Copa America of 2007.

The fact is we're not replacing the Alonso role, its clear Rafa has other ideas such as one holding player (Masch) and one roaming midfielder with license to support a bit more (Lucas/Aquilani) as opposed to the two deeper lying midfielders we used previously Xabi/Masch/Hamman/Momo/Igor.

I know Lucas is the one that's going to carry the can in the next few weeks and that's very unfair. Masch is going to have to step up and do more as well and like I said I believe he's more than capable, but he didn't show it today and if anything Lucas was the better of the two.

The thing is when you had Keane doing his thing you had others piling in the goals from areas we don’t, ie defense, wings (left hand side at least) and one other striker scoring 10 plus league goals. 

I can live with Masch & Aquaman (when he returns) doing what we have seen for the past few years when Alonso was there but I cant stand seeing average lads getting run outs in creative areas where class is required. Our left hand side and back up strikers are aching for improvement and we should do it now when we have the chance.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #571 on: August 16, 2009, 09:41:19 pm »
The only players who turned up for us were Pepe, Glen, Yossi and Lucas ... Yes, Lucas.  Was very solid in midfield, didn't put a foot wrong and cleared up a lot of mess for us. 

Have never been a fan of his, but truly he was good today.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: August 16, 2009, 09:42:19 pm »
The thing is when you had Keane doing his thing you had others piling in the goals from areas we don’t, ie defense, wings (left hand side at least) and one other striker scoring 10 plus league goals. 

I can live with Masch & Aquilani (when he returns) doing what we have seen for the past few years when Alonso was there but I cant stand seeing average lads getting run outs in creative areas where class is required. Our left hand side and back up strikers are aching for improvement and we should do it now when we have the chance.

Which makes it all the more puzzling as to why the Left mid wasn't addressed given that most of us would have identified it as a weak point. The point though is still that Masch needs to step up and take on the role of the senior mid, he didn't do it today.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #573 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43:19 pm »
How do people think Ayala did when he came on? Just out of curiosity. In ll fairness, i thought he handled the game pretty well for an 18 year old making his debut in a team where everyones being a bit shit.

i think he played very well.
#JFT97

Offline Dickie_Mint

• Minty Dick
  • Kopite
  • Cesky Sen!
« Reply #574 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »
Sluggish start. Looked mighty short of ideas and fitness today. This performance reminded me of the one against Marseille at Anfield last year. Lots of hopeful punts down the wing, poor passing, and almost zero in the final third.

Players need a fucking kick up the arse.

How many chances does Babel need?

:)

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43:41 pm »
Basically one …Babel…..may remind you of a shit that was a little runny while Riera has more of a solid shit feeling about him. All told neither  are good enough to be our #1 guy on the left. Benayoun should be that guy even though his best is always on the right thus you have to wonder why is not one of the shits sold at this stage for a new guy?

Maybe the shit wont flush.
Football is a lie

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #576 on: August 16, 2009, 09:45:18 pm »
I really do think the Harlem Globetrotters style pre season tour of Asia did us no favours. Spurs played far more competitive games during their pre season. How that affects the long term I don't know but it certainly helps in the first month getting out of the blocks.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #577 on: August 16, 2009, 09:46:14 pm »
I really do think the Harlem Globetrotters style pre season tour of Asia did us no favours. Spurs played far more competitive games during their pre season. How that affects the long term I don't know but it certainly helps in the first month getting out of the blocks.

Last time, I checked Spurs went to Asia too ::)

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #578 on: August 16, 2009, 09:46:56 pm »
I'll be in the minority again with this, but I didn't think that Voronin looked all that bad when he came on. Interested, ran the channels and should have had a penalty. Not bad considering there was only Yossi giving service to the entire team
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #579 on: August 16, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »
I just don't get babel, he's got all the attributes to be a top player, but just bottles it. I don't understand how a professional player cannot have mental strength!! He needs a right bollocking and a kick up the backside!! 
We won it 5 times........

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #580 on: August 16, 2009, 09:47:21 pm »

you do know riera didn't even play today?
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #581 on: August 16, 2009, 09:47:41 pm »
Last time, I checked Spurs went to Asia too ::)

Look at who they played during their pre season.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline RdJRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #582 on: August 16, 2009, 09:49:00 pm »
Really poor performance as has been said over and over on this thread.  I feel kind of like I did after Boro last season - it was that shite.  When the centre halves have the ball you really notice the difference now the Spanish player (won't mention the name..) has gone.  I don't know what Lucas has been told or the rest of the team for that matter but in Lucas's case, he wasn't looking for the ball from Carra or Skrtel - that's a big difference.  It meant that we were a bit stifled and the long ball was used too often.

I am sure Rafa had his reasons for starting Babel.  He is a different player to Yossi - much stronger and with loads of pace.  I was happy he got a start and seem to remember a few on here were too.  He just didn't perform which was disappointing but there were other more experienced players who were shite today also.

Last year we drew 11 games.  Take 6 of those and replace with 3 wins and 3 defeats we are champions with 92 points.  A defeat is a bitter first day pill but not the end of the world.  I still believe.

I expect a monster atmosphere at Anfield on Wednesday and 3 points.  If we get 3 points we will have done better compared to corresponding games from last year.

Oh yeah - we're still above the Bitters.

YNWA

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #583 on: August 16, 2009, 09:49:07 pm »
Dissapointing but game for game we are in the same place as last season, no points at Tottenham.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: August 16, 2009, 09:49:36 pm »
We were awful in every way possible

Fucked right off

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #585 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:12 pm »
Well I don't and Gerrard showed very little when he did drop back there apart from give the ball away more times than Lucas did in the whole game. And surely Aquilani is going to make an appearance at some point.
But surely you can't deny we looked more threatening as a team when Benny came on and Gerrard dropped back, just as we did against Atletico? You could argue that we can play Gerrard behind Torres, Benny wide and keep Lucas in the team but my belief is that Benny plays best centrally, in fact in Gerrards role. I'm not having a pop at Lucas, I'm really not, I thought he played well today, but I'd just rather have Gerrard and Benny dictating things in the middle than Gerrard and Lucas. Sorry, it's just my personal opinion.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: August 16, 2009, 09:52:01 pm »
Didnt think today was as bad as people are making out. Tentative start against a vastly improved Spurs team.
We still need to work on defending and taking set pieces and we can be much sharper in the final third.
Lucas actually played ok today but is going to get stick every time we dont win, so no change there.
Man of match: Reina.

Offline lauy

• born just one letter earlier than lauz
  • Kopite
« Reply #587 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »
Yossi was fantastic when he came on.

Should have started imo.

The ref didn't help today, but we really didn't play well so I guess we got what we deserved in the end.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #588 on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:40 pm »

Actually, made up with that result, got our loss out of the way, now its a red torrent and tsunami for the rest of the season believe me. League is ours. Well happy about that.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Notayesman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: August 16, 2009, 09:56:46 pm »
But surely you can't deny we looked more threatening as a team when Benny came on and Gerrard dropped back, just as we did against Atletico? You could argue that we can play Gerrard behind Torres, Benny wide and keep Lucas in the team but my belief is that Benny plays best centrally, in fact in Gerrards role. I'm not having a pop at Lucas, I'm really not, I thought he played well today, but I'd just rather have Gerrard and Benny dictating things in the middle than Gerrard and Lucas. Sorry, it's just my personal opinion.

Yes but because of Benni not because Gerrard was in midfield. He didn't offer anymore than Lucas did there and gave away the ball a lot more. And I believe Yossi is just as much of a threat cutting in from the left as he is centrally.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:16 pm »
Its only one game so no panic just yet but what does worry me is our strength in depth - we have none and for whatever reason yet again we have a weaker squad than the mancs and chelsea , even spurs had a stronger bench than us today . Here's hoping Rafa can buy some players soon.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2009, 09:58:45 pm »
Dissapointing but game for game we are in the same place as last season, no points at Tottenham.

True and it's a new season as well. What we did last season does not count now. Many negatives to find if we look for them though. We didn't play well, this was a game where we could have "gained points" from l last season etc.

But the game is over and we can't change anything now. If we look forward: we'll need 25+ wins to win the title. We have 37 games to go still. It's time to start putting things right on Wednesday. It's well within our reach.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: August 16, 2009, 09:58:51 pm »
you do know riera didn't even play today?

He was not out out there? Thought he was doing an impression of what we saw from Nov – May last season pretty much., ie pretty much non extistent.

Kidding aside our best bet for the left hand side is Benayoun and Rafa has already showed his preference to go with someone else already. Lets hope he sees what we all see and makes Benayoun one of our must plays by the next match.

Offline Morientes-19

• Kopite
  • 61 matches / 12 goals
« Reply #593 on: August 16, 2009, 09:59:41 pm »
Twelfth in the table, level on points with the likes of Hull and Everton and outside the European places.

We're done for!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:48:23 pm by Morientes-19 »
18 League Titles • 7 FA Cup Titles • 8 League Cup Titles • 15 Community Shield Titles • 5 European Cup Titles • 3 UEFA Cup Titles • 3 European Super Cup Titles

Offline GoldenFleece

• Anny Roader
« Reply #594 on: August 16, 2009, 10:00:26 pm »
Gerrard always the same when half carrying an injury. Defence looked frail (thank god they didn't start crouch) Babel woeful.. wants half an hour when he gets the ball, instead of knocking it ten and letting the full back know he has his work cut out. Benny was great when he came on. Torres was isolated the whole game cos the skipper had one of his rare bad uns!
The bench was shit to look at... Rafa must feel incredibly let down again by the owners, we needed to spend this summer to win the league and we are in profit from sales??? A shit day at the office almost all round... hope there is better to come.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #595 on: August 16, 2009, 10:01:24 pm »
Actually, made up with that result, got our loss out of the way, now its a red torrent and tsunami for the rest of the season believe me. League is ours. Well happy about that.

That's the spirit mate. I'm with you. We'll get things going on Wednesday night.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: August 16, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »
Has this "no strength in depth" thing come directly from Martin Tyler and his pet monkey? Fact is, we have injuries, without the injuries we have plenty of depth.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #597 on: August 16, 2009, 10:01:46 pm »
                                                               REINA

JOHNSON                        CARRA                           AGGER/SKRTEL            FABIO (WHEN FIT)

KUYT                            STEVIE                                MASCH                            ALBERT

YOSSI

NANDO

That's not a bad shout actually, as an option. Gerrard will still make the runs, if Mash is in dominating form, and with two mobile targets in front of him (one who likes to dribble), he might even be better than he is playing level with or in front of Yossi. But I don't think it will come to that.

That's because The squad appears barer than it really is. With Aquilani, Riera, and Aurelio as starters or options off the bench, with Yossi starting matches, we're a much more technical and dangerous side. Add Agger into the mix as a mobile central defender with ball skills, and the sort of cluelessness we saw out there today should dissipate, and Rafa's favourite 4-2-3-1 formation still looks the business.

We had everything going against us today - the lacklustre preseason preparations, midweek international friendly, key injuries, the collision, the peno shout - and we still came close to a result. Add in the technical nous of this team, and we'll be eating teams for brekkie.

It's just a shit start, that's all.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: August 16, 2009, 10:03:16 pm »
It just had the feel of one of those games when, near the end of the season the chance of winning the league has gone and we've got a big CL game mid week.

Johnson looked OK along with Yossi and Pepe.......should have been a second penalty but we didn't deserve to win. If losing today means no home draws I'll take it on the chin but somehow I'm not so sure.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Jonny J

• RAWK Kit Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • it's cyclical
« Reply #599 on: August 16, 2009, 10:04:03 pm »
One game in and already some spectacularly knee-jerk posts; brilliant.

We were poor. Piss poor. IMO because our shape was awkward and rigid, with little genuine creativity until Yossi; but that doesnt mean we should be calling for heads or writing off our payers lads.
The fact that Reina was clearly our mom sums it up, but we're going to have off days.
Lets hope a couple of good sessions at melwood get the lads fired up, and just as importantly we're all fired up behind them for 3 points vs Stoke.

If we can't manage that then we need to get shot of that fat Spanish twat, along with anyone he's signed. Pronto.
 ;)