Author Topic: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction  (Read 69587 times)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction
« Reply #600 on: August 16, 2009, 10:04:40 pm »
Is "no Xabi Alonso" the new "zonal marking"?

Hilarious.

I don't think we were missing Xabi today. We were missing a few other players who were actually on the pitch. And I think that Lucas Leiva was present and played well.

We played the worst I've seen us play in a while and Spurs played like a team with something to prove. Yet we didn't get blown-out and if the ref had been a bit more attentive, we could have got out of there with a draw. Now that is shocking.

Hopefully the sting of this loss gets some blood flowing.

Oh ya, that kid Ayala didn't do half badly and his confidence has been raised I'm sure. That should make him a bit more reliable if he has to get some games soon...

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:15 pm »
Hilarious.

It wasn't supposed to be funny. And you actually agreed with me anyway  ???

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #602 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »
Ironically if we beat Stoke on Wednesday we will be ahead of our last season's head to head points tally...
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #603 on: August 16, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »

Two home games in a row now, Stoke & Villa, then Bolton away then Burnley at home.

We'll set ourselves up ripe and sweet for the season with those games.

Nice run of games to get the fire burning, trust me.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #604 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:48 pm »
that reminded me of watching us under houllier, aimless balls just hoofed upfield from the keeper and centre halfs for our strikers to chase after.
i`m not a big fan of lucas but he played well today, he didnt control the game like alonso but he certainly didnt let the team down either.

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: August 16, 2009, 10:10:37 pm »
so lucas is now a world class player. mate u need to wake up as well. did u listen to sky after the match. oh thats right them boys are stupid as well?

Post of the season........

Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #606 on: August 16, 2009, 10:11:36 pm »
Riera's a million times better than Babel. Which says as much about Babel's never ending capacity for shitness as it does about Riera.

Riera is a decent player actually, we'd all like John Barnes back on the left wing but unfortunately that's not gonna happen so Riera it is, and the Spaniard deserves more credit than he gets around here.

Babel however, deserves none. He's fucking rubbish and we should've already got shot of him.

Agree with ALL of this, but I'll say again, why the fuck does Rafa persist with him on the left wing when it's never going to work?
Babel has been shit for a good 12 months, and yet Rafa picks him again on the left wing.

I know Riera was injured today, but still.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #607 on: August 16, 2009, 10:12:16 pm »
Ironically if we beat Stoke on Wednesday we will be ahead of our last season's head to head points tally...

Exactly. Stunned by the people on here panicking already.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: August 16, 2009, 10:14:39 pm »
Has this "no strength in depth" thing come directly from Martin Tyler and his pet monkey? Fact is, we have injuries, without the injuries we have plenty of depth.

Not enough quality though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:17:33 pm by Fordy »

Offline WordF0o

• Kemlynite
  • Support LFC
« Reply #609 on: August 16, 2009, 10:15:23 pm »
that reminded me of watching us under houllier, aimless balls just hoofed upfield from the keeper and centre halfs for our strikers to chase after.
i`m not a big fan of lucas but he played well today, he didnt control the game like alonso but he certainly didnt let the team down either.

I think he could be more vocal though. There were times that I thought he was the better to choice to pass to, but no one seemed to pass it to him. Lucas should be more confident to call for the ball and also maybe make more attacking runs.
Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.

Rafa B.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:05 pm »
Agree with ALL of this, but I'll say again, why the fuck does Rafa persist with him on the left wing when it's never going to work?
Babel has been shit for a good 12 months, and yet Rafa picks him again on the left wing.

I've now reached the unusual conclusion that I would rather see Dossena play as a left winger than persist with Babel (when Riera is unavailable)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:13 pm »
It wasn't supposed to be funny. And you actually agreed with me anyway  ???

As Homer Simpson says: "It's funny cause it's true". I was laughing with you not at you. I do agree with you.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #612 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:25 pm »
I just don't get babel, he's got all the attributes to be a top player, but just bottles it. I don't understand how a professional player cannot have mental strength!! He needs a right bollocking and a kick up the backside!! 
There's something either missing or not quite right with Ryan. I still think he is better down the middle rather than out wide but he didn't take his chance today and his performance made Rafa's decision to play him before Yossi all the more difficult to understand.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #613 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:34 pm »
I think he could be more vocal though. There were times that I thought he was the better to choice to pass to, but no one seemed to pass it to him. Lucas should be more confident to call for the ball and also maybe make more attacking runs.

Can't expect a 21 year old lad to be confident though, when his every touch or misplaced pass is greeted with sighs and moans from a lot of LFC fans, especially at Anfield...

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: August 16, 2009, 10:17:01 pm »
Would this work?

Reina

Johnson   Carragher   Skrtel     Aurelio 

Macherano       Agger
Kuyt                                        Bennayoun
                          Gerrard
                Torres

Could Agger play the Xabi role.... He's the only CB that plays the ball out no Hoffing. He's also quite an attacking player remember his getting forward one game and setting up a goal once he made a defensive mistake Agger also likes to have a shot from range as well. 
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #615 on: August 16, 2009, 10:17:28 pm »
Exactly. Stunned by the people on here panicking already.

And a better goal difference..
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: August 16, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »
If gerrard, nando, babel, kuyt turn up against stoke we will be fine

oh and carra not to KO himself and our other CB

defeat out of the way nice and early the only way is up

oh and masch needs to step it up
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:20:03 pm by LFCfan4Life »
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #617 on: August 16, 2009, 10:19:37 pm »
Would this work?

Reina

Johnson   Carragher   Skrtel     Aurelio 

Macherano       Agger
Kuyt                                        Bennayoun
                          Gerrard
                Torres

Could Agger play the Xabi role.... He's the only CB that plays the ball out no Hoffing. He's also quite an attacking player remember his getting forward one game and setting up a goal once he made a defensive mistake Agger also likes to have a shot from range as well. 

Omg... how bad rated has to be Lucas for you to think about playing a CB in CM position.

If you don't like Lucas at least put Yossi in midfield and a proper left winger like Riera.
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun.

Offline WordF0o

• Kemlynite
  • Support LFC
« Reply #618 on: August 16, 2009, 10:19:49 pm »
Can't expect a 21 year old lad to be confident though, when his every touch or misplaced pass is greeted with sighs and moans from a lot of LFC fans, especially at Anfield...

True but hopefully when he gets more game time, he will be more confident. Now is the time for Lucas to step up especially with Aqualini (sp?) not fit yet. 
Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.

Rafa B.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #619 on: August 16, 2009, 10:20:28 pm »
Yes but because of Benni not because Gerrard was in midfield. He didn't offer anymore than Lucas did there and gave away the ball a lot more. And I believe Yossi is just as much of a threat cutting in from the left as he is centrally.
I agree, but it's a question of numbers. We play a 5 man midfield (4-2-3-1) and benni has to play in the form he's in. Gerrard, Mash and Kuyt are going to play. So it's a choice between Riera and Lucas for the fifth spot. I'd choose Riera. Again, just my opinion.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:55 pm »
Omg... how bad rated has to be Lucas for you to think about playing a CB in CM position.

If you don't like Lucas at least put Yossi in midfield and a proper left winger like Riera.

I know that was the kind of reply I would get.......

All i'm saying is I think Danny would make a fairly good CM

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #621 on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:26 pm »
At least it's put the 'if Gerrard and Torres aren't fit, Liverpool won't win the title' cliche to bed for a bit, because even if they DO stay fit, if they play like that again, we'll win fuck all anyway!
 ;)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:34 pm »

I think it is the shape of the team with Babel in it. I'm not disagreeing that he looked terrible and was easily ganged-up on. But I think Rafa put him out there to run. I think he also put him out there for confidence. Unfortunately it didn't work, but I don't question Rafa doing it.

If Rafa isn't going to start Babel when Riera is injured, then there is no point having him on the team. Rafa wants him on the team, or he would have sold him over the summer. The kid didn't just suddenly hit his head and forgot how to play.

I'm still hopeful that Babel gets another start Wednesday and gets a chance to make-up for his for his sins in this match.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:36 pm »

and lucas is a better one
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: August 16, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »
Just got back home from the game.

Really disjointed first half, we looked like a team of strangers. Was better in the 2nd once Yossi came on.

Babel was shocking. Torres looked off the pace. Defence was shaky.

Not sure if the camera picked up the bollocking that Torres gave Babel.

Reina was our best player which says it all.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: August 16, 2009, 10:24:23 pm »
Not enought quality though.

Reina

Johnson
Agger
Skrtel
Aurelio

Masch
Lucas

Kuyt
Gerrard
Babel

Torres

Is one team.

Cavalieri

Degen
Carragher
San Jose
Insua

Spearing/Plessis
Aquilani

Dossena
Benayoun
Babel

Voronin/Ngog

I think that aside from the 2nd team's forwards and centre back, we've got two very strong teams.

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #626 on: August 16, 2009, 10:24:32 pm »

Up against Corluka who is slow and turns like an ocean liner Babel could have had him for breakfast.  Spurs were shrewd in cutting off the supply and doubling up on Babel.  Benayoun when he came on used his quick feet to make space and open up the play.

Offline AmericanPoolFan

• RAWK's Gay Dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • why am I that
« Reply #627 on: August 16, 2009, 10:25:07 pm »
Where was Degen?

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #628 on: August 16, 2009, 10:25:24 pm »

Probably... but I am sure a proper CM would do a better work and Liverpool has Lucas who can play there or even Benayoun and Gerrard.

What you are doing placing Danny there is loosing a great CB and the only one who can move the ball up.
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: August 16, 2009, 10:26:17 pm »

I couldn't agree more. I was screaming at the TV for Masch to look sideways or upfield for someone to pass it to. Too many times Lucas was free, but the ball went back to Carra to be sent upfield without a prayer.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #630 on: August 16, 2009, 10:26:57 pm »

I'm still hopeful that Babel gets another start Wednesday and gets a chance to make-up for his for his sins in this match.

How many times can we keep on saying that? Hes now in his 3rd year with us and I dont think there has been any improvement.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:10 pm »
we will beat Stoke 3-0 and everything will be fine. Villa on the 24th and 6 points in the bag

Offline Chicken Wow Wows

• Main Stander
« Reply #632 on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:26 pm »
Today i suddenly thought, we need to play 2 up top, i think Teams are working out how to deal with the torres/gerrard combination

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:52 pm »
Because people are generally lazy fuckers and won't be arsed reading all this thread, what happened was people weren't slagging lucas off at all, but a few staunch supporters came on praising him. When it was pointed out playing well might well be considered a fucking standard for someone on tens on thousands a week, the lucas defenders camp went into completely unnecessary overdrive which prompted multiple posts with the usual rolling eyes bollocks and smartarse comments. Those same defendents castigate Babel and I'm struggling to see the difference between the two in terms of IMPACT. The fact is, were Lucas shipped out tomorrow for someone more glamorous/expensive/hi profile his camp would fall silent overnight.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: August 16, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »
There's something either missing or not quite right with Ryan. I still think he is better down the middle rather than out wide but he didn't take his chance today and his performance made Rafa's decision to play him before Yossi all the more difficult to understand.

His problem seems to be that he can hold the ball and draw defenders, but he can't pass the ball away once he has created the space for others. I can't see how this will work any better with him doing that in the middle with Torres.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: August 16, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »
Reina

Johnson
Agger
Skrtel
Aurelio

Masch
Lucas

Kuyt
Gerrard
Babel

Torres

Is one team.

Cavalieri

Degen
Carragher
San Jose
Insua

Spearing/Plessis
Aquilani

Dossena
Benayoun
Babel

Voronin/Ngog

I think that aside from the 2nd team's forwards and centre back, we've got two very strong teams.

I dont think our 2nd 11 matches up to what Utd can put out there.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:01 pm »
The shove on Voronin could easily have been a penalty. I wonder about the penalty we were given though. Johnson touched the ball past Gomes and was taken out, but we were not denied a goal scoring opportunity. There was no way Glen would have been able to do any thing constructive with the ball, given that it was running out of play. I do feel a penalty is harsh, even though it was the correct decision.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #637 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:07 pm »
I think it is the shape of the team with Babel in it. I'm not disagreeing that he looked terrible and was easily ganged-up on. But I think Rafa put him out there to run. I think he also put him out there for confidence. Unfortunately it didn't work, but I don't question Rafa doing it.

If Rafa isn't going to start Babel when Riera is injured, then there is no point having him on the team. Rafa wants him on the team, or he would have sold him over the summer. The kid didn't just suddenly hit his head and forgot how to play.

Yes, but whenever he's been given the chance on the left over the last 12 months (it's not just today), he's failed miserably. There's the odd game when he plays ok, but have you ever looked and Babel and thought 'he was great today'. Seriously?

I'd agree with you if it was just today like you say, but it's not, it's over the last 12 months, he's been pretty abysmal, and did nothing today when he had the chance to.
I blame Rafa simply because it's been well documented Babel himself has said that he doesn't like playing on the left, and yet even though he's been poor there for a while, he still gets a game.

It's like when Kuyt was playing badly, but Rafa would never drop him, Rafa is persisting with Babel.
Saying that, it wasn't just him today, a lot of players didn't put the effort in.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:14 pm »
How many times can we keep on saying that? Hes now in his 3rd year with us and I dont think there has been any improvement.

I agree. I just can't see him making it with us.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:28 pm »

We've got to show him some love at Anfield. Ah, the Beach Boys in August...