Author Topic: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction  (Read 69721 times)

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2009, 07:31:22 pm »
EXACTLY. Thank you.

I mean, it was kind of reasonable in the transfer thread but it's pretty fucking useless now, isn't it?

Not really cos it has left a fucking gaping hole in our fucking team. Oh wait I should get over it. Alright then it doesn't matter now.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #281 on: August 16, 2009, 07:31:35 pm »
Lucas and Mascherano aren't the types of players who are going to dictate the tempo, type, direction and control of a football match. The manager was aware of the potential loss of Alonso for months. To counter this, he buys some fucker no-one has ever heard of and who isn't even fit.

The only player we have who can bring some direction to our play is Steven Gerrard. Now a lot of people on here were quick to jump on anyone who dared propose that SG & FT should be split up but it is clear that we have to think of playing Gerrard in midfield. Yes they are a formidable partnership................but you could play Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost up front but they'd do fuck all without the ball and a platform to perform on.

Amen!

People seem to carry on as if Gerrard will be playing in goal if hes not right behind Torres. Im sure they will still be able to pass to each other if Gerrard drops back and Yossi plays in the hole.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2009, 07:31:45 pm »
Lucas look good ?

I am sorry but that lad is anything but, a good central midfielder is someone who demands the ball and takes responsibility. Instead Lucas tries to get rid of the ball ASAP and most of the time plays his teammates into trouble. He lacks pace and a general football brain. A brave player is someone who takes the games by the scruff of the neck and digs out others who are not playing well. Look at Mascherano he can't pass but at least he demands the ball and tries. Lucas can pass but will not demand the ball and take responsibility.

The problem is he has the confidence in nothing games like pre-season when he was good but in the Premier League, he has not performed and constantly failed. He wasn't the only one today ? But when has he had his day ?

You are so full of shit, you made me laugh

Ta
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Linton

• Kopite
« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2009, 07:32:22 pm »
Didn't we get 86 points last season with pretty much the same squad bar alonso ? We've played ONE game and you're writing us off already, i give up sometimes.

I think our squad is too thin compared with Man U and Chelsea. Im not writing us off, but I think it will be extremely difficult to win the PL as it stands.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »
I wonder what we did in preseason. Half the squad injured or not ready yet. Mascherano, Gerrard, Skrtel, Carragher and Torres not 100% ready... Riera out, our new signing out for 2 month....

The PL is starting, this is not preseason anymore. If the players come back too late from holiday or are injured than they shouldn´t play. You cannot afford playing a PL game away at Spurs with a half-ready squad.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #285 on: August 16, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »
Put Stevie back in the middle, I know he gave it away constantly today but there was a lack of presence and incisive balls forward from Lucas and Masch. No point in having Stevie and Nando up there if we're not getting the ball forward to them at the right times.

Gutted on the whole but it's a tricky game to start the season with.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #286 on: August 16, 2009, 07:32:39 pm »
Pepe, Lucas, Johnson 2nd half and Benny not much else today.

As a team we were poor, Spurs could and should have won by more 2-1 flattered US. Thank fuck Keane is still out of sorts

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #287 on: August 16, 2009, 07:32:54 pm »
lad were all disappointed byu the result but stop talking shite. noone ever heard of him? gimme a break...italian international, ffs

Oh yes, my apologies. He's well known. He's a household name in Old Swan. As soon as we thought we were losing a top class international player like Alonso, everyone I know was saying " I hope we buy that bloke from Roma"

Offline paranoidmike

• They're watching me, I swear.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2009, 07:32:59 pm »
after watching us in pre season I always thought this game was coming too early. Spurs away now that Harry's there will be a tough game for anyone. The best I hoped for was a draw which maybe we could have got if the penalty was given. Thought Lucas did OK nothing spectacular,but ok. Babel was awful and does not desrve to start until he starts putting in good perfomances after coming off the bench, he has to earn the right to play for this club. We started off so slow like we always do, and  I don't think Carraghers challange on Skirtel helped things as it seemed to unsettle us more. If I'm honest we got we deserved today.  two homes games now and we must get 6 points.

Offline Misholino108

• Anny Roader
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:04 pm »
Lucas and Mascherano aren't the types of players who are going to dictate the tempo, type, direction and control of a football match. The manager was aware of the potential loss of Alonso for months. To counter this, he buys some fucker no-one has ever heard of and who isn't even fit.

The only player we have who can bring some direction to our play is Steven Gerrard. Now a lot of people on here were quick to jump on anyone who dared propose that SG & FT should be split up but it is clear that we have to think of playing Gerrard in midfield. Yes they are a formidable partnership................but you could play Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost up front but they'd do fuck all without the ball and a platform to perform on.

Exactly what I said to my bro today while watching the game, Benny should play Gerrard role until Alberto is fit there is no platform to perform for SG a FT.
YNWA

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:06 pm »
Wish i could say only first game etc but was evident how much we need other players esp. a striker, We cannot rely on Torres all of the time, the game was crying out for a change in formation but the option simply wasnt on the bench. I wasnt at the game so wont slag anyone off, people need to keep in mind carra and skrtel went into the game less than 100% plus injuries didnt help so they were ok for me. Just need to get mentality back where we left off in may ASAP.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:23 pm »
EXACTLY. Thank you.

I mean, it was kind of reasonable in the transfer thread but it's pretty fucking useless now, isn't it?

What should we never mention it? Today we got to see why we missed him and how it affected the team in general play.

Offline carraggeriise

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »
Ive absolutely no idea why Yossi isnt starting. The lad is unplayable when he gets going

Cant stress it enough

If fit these people select themself:

Reina
Mascherano
Benayoun
Gerrard
Torres

We need to decide on the centre back positions aswell. This is going to upset a few but you notice Carras not on that list I mention. He goes round sorting everyones problems out for them, which only causes disruption and that culminated today in nearly knocking Martins head off.  You need a centre back partnership. Dont think you can rotate them, who is it? Agger/Skrtel Carra/Agger Skrtel/Agger Carra/Skrtel ? Got to decide by the time Agger gets fit.

Overall today I think we were fucking tripe in the first half. New season, can forgive that. Got better in the 2nd and lost to a wonder strike and a headre where I think another day and Skrtel and Agger dont nut each other gets cleared
Instant Karmas gonna get you

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:43 pm »
I still remember how Barcelona started last season! This can be a memorable season once all the players are settled in. The pre-season tour to Asia was not the best preparation.
now were talking
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:57 pm »
Lucas look good ?

I am sorry but that lad is anything but, a good central midfielder is someone who demands the ball and takes responsibility. Instead Lucas tries to get rid of the ball ASAP and most of the time plays his teammates into trouble. He lacks pace and a general football brain. A brave player is someone who takes the games by the scruff of the neck and digs out others who are not playing well.

I can't argue with that assessment, its exactly what we want in our team, but I think the general consensus is that Lucas was better than usual and shone today in a shite side.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:57 pm »
Was completely against the idea of dropping Gerrard back to midfield before today but I think you can definitely make a case for it now. It relies on the likes of Kuyt, Benayoun, Babel and Riera consistently being able to create and take chances though. Kuyt and Benayoun are capable but i'm not convinced by the other two. I like Lucas but I don't think he's ready yet to try and fill Xabi's boots, we don't want him thrown in the deep end now.

I said today that we didn't miss Xabi, we were just plain shite. But if you look at what was wrong with our game today ie no tempo, poor passing, an inability to hold onto the ball and nothing for Gerrard and Torres to feed off you could tell we missed him.

Offline rafasredman

• Boys Pen
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2009, 07:34:05 pm »
for me, rafa totally got his tactics wrong today, i just hope he doesnt carry on being stubborn again.
mascherano and lucas were just playing the usual sidewards and backward balls (not taking risks) lucas has had a decent pre season, but when it matters most ,like today they need to be more positive. the only time for me were we were ok was once yossi was on and gerrard was in midfield again. untill we get to see how aqualani plays i think we should start playing kuyt up with torres and put stevie g back in midfield,(untill aqualani can play and go forward ) then put stevie g back in his forward position.
people are saying torres looked not fit, but for me he had nothing to feed off. because of lucas and javiers sidewards,backwards routine, liverpool were just knocking up long s**te useless balls up.
we need more positivity in midfield.
rafa you got it wrong, dont be stubborn, for the good of the team , bring stevie back into midfield untill aqualani is fit. then we might have a more positive midfield.

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »
btw, about the injuries to Carra, Skrtel and Mascherano, as well as the free kicks that led to their goals all arose from desperate defending, players caught out of position, or having to put their body on the line to make a challenge. 

I don't think it was bad luck.  It was a measure of how little control of the ball we had in those periods of the game, players making desperate challenges and conceding free-kicks.  Lennon was running riot, Lucas and Masch couldn't get hold of it or distribute the ball against pretty average opponents.

Their winning goal, straight after the equaliser (from a run out of the blue) was especially annoying.  The key thing after getting back into the game would be to pile pressure on them not just take a pot shot on goal and surrender possession for them to break up the field.  Carra gave away the free-kick cynically (because he can't keep up with most forwards) and then made a token effort to defend his zone from the free-kick.
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2009, 07:34:16 pm »
Oh yes, my apologies. He's well known. He's a household name in Old Swan. As soon as we thought we were losing a top class international player like Alonso, everyone I know was saying " I hope we buy that bloke from Roma"

No one had heard of Alonso before we bought him

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2009, 07:34:24 pm »
btw the mancs lost there 1st 3 games when they 1st won the prem inc a 3-0  home drubbing by the bitters, the manc goalie looked shite, his name peter smichael (sp).
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline booty

• Main Stander
« Reply #300 on: August 16, 2009, 07:34:26 pm »
You are so full of shit, you made me laugh

Ta

Why because the truth hurts.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: August 16, 2009, 07:34:49 pm »
why didnt rafa think of the alonso solutions found here?

White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »
Not really cos it has left a fucking gaping hole in our fucking team. Oh wait I should get over it. Alright then it doesn't matter now.

Yeah, but moaning about how it would be so much better if Alonso wasn't here isn't going to bring him back.
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: August 16, 2009, 07:36:05 pm »
Yeah but you can't criticise him today DE...
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #304 on: August 16, 2009, 07:36:21 pm »
Plenty of the usual whoppers in I see, new season, same old story, people writing the players off after the first game.

:boring
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2009, 07:36:30 pm »
for me, rafa totally got his tactics wrong today, i just hope he doesnt carry on being stubborn again.
mascherano and lucas were just playing the usual sidewards and backward balls (not taking risks) lucas has had a decent pre season, but when it matters most ,like today they need to be more positive. the only time for me were we were ok was once yossi was on and gerrard was in midfield again. untill we get to see how aqualani plays i think we should start playing kuyt up with torres and put stevie g back in midfield,(untill aqualani can play and go forward ) then put stevie g back in his forward position.
people are saying torres looked not fit, but for me he had nothing to feed off. because of lucas and javiers sidewards,backwards routine, liverpool were just knocking up long s**te useless balls up.
we need more positivity in midfield.
rafa you got it wrong, dont be stubborn, for the good of the team , bring stevie back into midfield untill aqualani is fit. then we might have a more positive midfield.

aquilani mate, aqualani makes him sound gayish
White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:12 pm »
Ive absolutely no idea why Yossi isnt starting. The lad is unplayable when he gets going

Cant stress it enough
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:13 pm »
It'll take time people. We can't expect to start playing to a top level of football straight away, we can only hope for it and for a bit of luck until we get upto speed.

There were some promising flashes of football though- brilliantly fluid football at the end when Yossi, Gerrard and Lucas started interchanging. Yossi was far more confident on the ball than Babel, and the players around him had more confidence in him than Babel too. Also, Gerrard dropped deeper to try and link the attack with the rest of the team, because for the first hour, everyone in front of Lucas and Mascherano were pretty useless because the ball just wasn't sticking there and the support wasn't coming.

It changed by the end though and it was promising for parts of the match.

Reina kept us in it, but Yossi was MOTM for me- he gave us hope we could score goals. In my opinion, he's one of the players on which the responsibility of effective possession football after Alonso rests on. He carries on playing like he did today and we'll be sound.

So, keep the faith, be patient, wish for some luck. The lads and Rafa will work hard and fight hard. It'll take time but it'll come in the end  :wave

A bit of sanity at last. We've changed our whole system from relying on the best midfielder at the club to (hopefully playing a new fluid and mobile style). This will take time and we'll get worse before we get better. But that's the place we're at.

If I could pick a man to change it all around -t hen Rafa would be that man and we have some terrific players - they just need to pick themselves up and get back into it again.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:18 pm »
but Yossi was MOTM for me- he gave us hope we could score goals. In my opinion, he's one of the players on which the responsibility of effective possession football after Alonso rests on. He carries on playing like he did today and we'll be sound.

When I saw Babel got the nod over Yossi I thought OK.. fair enough... obviously there's a plan there... come on you Mighty Reds... but I was burying the fact that Yossi would have been the more sensible idea... so maybe this will be a good thing in games to come. i.e.. the realisation that Babel is fucking shite maybe not up there and Yossi can actually bring a bit of brains to our game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:41:48 pm by Filler. »

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:19 pm »
Don't panic, yes, Yossi should have started, but GJ looked good. We will soom settle down.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:29 pm »
On a positive note.

Lucas played very well today compared to all our other midfield players.

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:36 pm »
one thing for sure is that Gerrard has to go back into Midfield and Yossi has to play his role. makes the team look so much stronger.

Offline FryBaconFace

• Main Stander
  • ~~sizzle~~
« Reply #312 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:36 pm »
Unpleasant day, but it's worth noting that

Barca lost their first league game of last season to Numancia. 

A lot of the problem today was that our two center backs tried to kill each other early on.  I mean what a doomsday scenario that was... what was Carra doing going for that header?  After that they seemed woozy and all over the place.

Johnson and Insua played well, Lucas was OK.  No one seems to know why Benny doesn't start. 

Babel should leave the team to focus on his music career.

God kills a kitten every time Gerrard takes a corner. - Juan Loco

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #313 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:37 pm »
Worrying performance but some of the reactions are way over the top.Its the first game of the season.I agree we need to improve a hell of alot though.Torres and Gerrard looked absoloutely lost today,even though the service to them was far from impressive.Johnson and Reina were good though.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:41 pm »

give it a rest lad, getting a bit too late at night for you maybe?
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE £20 BET

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:45 pm »
Why because the truth hurts.

Truth? Genius...
Oh, and you asked when he has had his day? Newcastle away last year, he was great.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:58 pm »
Look at it this way - we've started better than Everton :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2009, 07:38:15 pm »
No one had heard of Alonso before we bought him

speak for yourself mate. i (and many others on here) had heard of him. he was linked heavily with both man utd and real madrid the summer before he signed for us.
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline smitlick

• Main Stander
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2009, 07:38:16 pm »
you do realise there are other leagues out there on tv. Just because some are ignorant to the existence of the serie a doesnt mean it doesnt exist or that there aren't good players outside of the milans and juves.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »
442 with Torres and Kuyt up top.

Stevie and Masch with Riera and Yossi on wings.

It wont happen but would work.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.