Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 354618 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**
« Reply #4800 on: July 15, 2017, 07:24:55 pm »
If the guy off My Family gets it then I shall stop watching,I will give it a go if a Lady gets it,not arsed about race or age just not him.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4801 on: July 16, 2017, 12:54:34 am »
My only concern with the idea of a female Doctor is visions of a Janeway-like character, who the Voyager producers felt had to always be the best at everything as they didn't want to have male characters be seen to talk down to her... That might work in Who actually, where usually the Doctor is genuinely the best, most knowledgable person in the group.

Sod it, I'm in. As long as it's not literally Janeway.

Spoiler

I don't think Comic Book Guy could handle it...
[close]

But what character archetype would the (presumably male) companion be? Unless we're bringing Bill back for more 'young companion pines after the sexy older Doctor' scenarios.

Voyager's EMH Doctor would be a better Doctor Who than her mate (some very bad writing, stories and continuity in there on Voyager for Janeway - and others - shudders...)

Clara it is then ;)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4802 on: July 16, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
The shout for Matt Berry was the best, make it happen!
Read that as Mary Berry...

Thought she might struggle with bits of it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4803 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:03 pm »
I heard it's going to be...

Spoiler
[close]

;D

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4804 on: July 16, 2017, 12:31:52 pm »
I don't care if it's a woman as long as they're right for the part. Michelle Gomez was great as the Master. Don't think you can write it off until you've seen it. I'm not suggesting you're being sexist as I know there's been plenty of debate about whether having a woman play a 'male' character is appropriate or desirable but I don't see his manliness being so intrinsic to the plot or the show. Would hope any actual fans of the program would give it a chance before writing it off completely.

Maybe, if they have picked a woman, it's because she's the best for the part? Or suits the stories? Not just because of political correctness.

Nah if he ends up being a woman, then that's it - wouldn't even watch it if they changed it back again later. It's being politically correct for no reason.

I can just about put up with the stupidity with minor characters being afflicted, but it makes no sense. It wasn't even a suggestion until recently.

Stupid idea. How about the next Star Wars, Han Solo is a 5' 2" blonde 14 year old girl, Princess Leia is a 34 stone semi-pro Wrestler, Darth Vader is a bucket, Chewbacca is a tin bath and C3PIO is a starfish that can levitate.

I mean, what's the actual point?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4805 on: July 16, 2017, 12:38:12 pm »
Nah if he ends up being a woman, then that's it - wouldn't even watch it if they changed it back again later. It's being politically correct for no reason.

I can just about put up with the stupidity with minor characters being afflicted, but it makes no sense. It wasn't even a suggestion until recently.

Stupid idea. How about the next Star Wars, Han Solo is a 5' 2" blonde 14 year old girl, Princess Leia is a 34 stone semi-pro Wrestler, Darth Vader is a bucket, Chewbacca is a tin bath and C3PIO is a starfish that can levitate.

I mean, what's the actual point?

That was George Lucas's initial plan for the prequels.

Dr Who is a fantastical story, where anything can, and often does happen. There should be no limitations on the creative freedoms driving the story. If the story is good, I'll forgive anything. Of course casting a woman doctor would heap the pressure on. They would have to deliver.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4806 on: July 16, 2017, 01:08:23 pm »
That was George Lucas's initial plan for the prequels.

Dr Who is a fantastical story, where anything can, and often does happen. There should be no limitations on the creative freedoms driving the story. If the story is good, I'll forgive anything. Of course casting a woman doctor would heap the pressure on. They would have to deliver.

That's my point. If the writing is good enough and the story is good enough, then why bother with this absurd concept? What does it add?

I can think of one thing it does right off the top of my head. How many male role models have kids had that did exciting things, saved people, helped people and used their brains instead of blowing things the fuck up in every episode?

I can think of one.

Mind you, when he changes into being a women than you can rightly say - see every role model that you ever saw as a male - was was basically killing things, acting like a tit and waving his dick around is how things are. That's how boys are SUPPOSED to be - dick waving, angry, shooty gobshites. We can now say that with all seriousness because the one lasting role model that wasn't like that - was actually a woman all along.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4807 on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:45 pm »
Any guesses then? Not long till the big reveal judging by how Federer is getting on. I'm going Ben Whishaw.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4808 on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:05 pm »
Any guesses then? Not long till the big reveal judging by how Federer is getting on. I'm going Ben Whishaw.

I'd like to see Martin Freeman and he's worked with the people that produced Dr. Who as well.

If we make the Doctor not a man, then I'd like to see him recast as a splendidly animated slug with a monocle and a Top Hat, a Toaster (based on the one from Red Dwarf) or a floating jellybaby.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4809 on: July 16, 2017, 04:09:05 pm »
I'd like to see Martin Freeman and he's worked with the people that produced Dr. Who as well.

If we make the Doctor not a man, then I'd like to see him recast as a splendidly animated slug with a monocle and a Top Hat, a Toaster (based on the one from Red Dwarf) or a floating jellybaby.

or

(Mr Flibble - not Rimmer)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4810 on: July 16, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
Jodie Whittaker

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:32:06 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4811 on: July 16, 2017, 04:31:11 pm »
Well people will say that she has big shoes to fill & she does have big feet for a lady of her height.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4812 on: July 16, 2017, 04:31:40 pm »
Good luck to her.  Better choice than Kris Marshall, let's see what she does with it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4813 on: July 16, 2017, 04:34:09 pm »
And that's me done. Watching it since I was a kid. They can fuck off now. Won't even bother watching the Christmas one. What's the point?

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4814 on: July 16, 2017, 04:35:31 pm »
*shrugs*

Not overly impressed, but can't say it's a huge issue. The writers are the ones in desperate need of regenerating anyway.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4815 on: July 16, 2017, 04:35:40 pm »
Good luck Jodie, you will need it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4816 on: July 16, 2017, 04:37:04 pm »
Good luck to her.  Better choice than Kris Marshall, let's see what she does with it.

1000% He would've killed it for me.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4817 on: July 16, 2017, 04:38:50 pm »
And that's me done. Watching it since I was a kid. They can fuck off now. Won't even bother watching the Christmas one. What's the point?

I'm sure they will miss you dearly.

Why don't you judge the quality of the program before you make a series of pronouncements about their reasons for choosing her and the resulting quality of the Doctor going forward?

Maybe she was the best person for the job.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4818 on: July 16, 2017, 04:40:08 pm »
I've got no idea who she is, but I'll give it a go whatever. I remember thinking Matt Smith would be fucking terrible because he was too young for the role, and now he's amongst my top 3 doctors ever. I learnt my lesson.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4819 on: July 16, 2017, 04:40:14 pm »
It was always going to happen if it wasn't this time it would have been the next.

I wonder what her first line will be?

"Ive got Tits I will be back in an hour"
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4820 on: July 16, 2017, 04:43:32 pm »
I'm sure they will miss you dearly.

Why don't you judge the quality of the program before you make a series of pronouncements about their reasons for choosing her and the resulting quality of the Doctor going forward?

Maybe she was the best person for the job.

Because its stupid. People have been watching it for five decades and they've shat on them. Missus will be happy she hates it and thought the idea of a woman doctor who was fucking stupid.what's next Brian Blessed being cast as Florence Nightingale. Anyway bollocks to them. Obviously don't want an older audience

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4821 on: July 16, 2017, 04:45:24 pm »
Because its stupid. People have been watching it for five decades and they've shat on them. Missus will be happy she hates it and thought the idea of a woman doctor who was fucking stupid.what's next Brian Blessed being cast as Florence Nightingale. Anyway bollocks to them. Obviously don't want an older audience
Sexist

:lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4822 on: July 16, 2017, 04:48:03 pm »
Yes, a women playing an alien who can regenerate into different bodies is the same as Brian Blessed playing Florence Nightingale.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4823 on: July 16, 2017, 04:48:41 pm »

Well it's a kids/family show at heart.

I'm sure they like the older audience and there's plenty of nods to old Who for the keen fans but they're not the target market, and indeed never were.

I'm not bothered enough to have some protracted debate about it but the old fans have hardly been "shat on". He's an alien with two hearts who repeatedly takes on a new form in a sci fi show with monsters, aliens etc etc. It's hardly the craziest thing for him to take the form of a woman.

Matt Smith, Christopher Ecclestone, Tom Baker, Sylvester McCoy, William Hartnell. All hugely different Doctors in terms of personality, attitude, character.

I wonder if Hartnell fans complained like this when Tom Baker was the Doctor. "They've shat on the fans, the Doctor is supposed to be a cantankerous old fellow, not a zany jelly baby obsessed loon."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4824 on: July 16, 2017, 04:49:21 pm »
Who would've thought that Michelle Gomez would turn out to be one of the best Masters.I know that I didn't and she certainly was.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4825 on: July 16, 2017, 04:51:55 pm »
A lot of hoo haa (who haa?)

Let's see what she's like before castigating the poor woman..
W

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #4826 on: July 16, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »
These kinds of decisions are always interesting to me because it shows a side of posters I might not normally have suspected or seen. (Religion and politics threads are also good for this kind of discovery.) In an era where we're having a hell of a time accepting the simple idea of a black James Bond, it's no surprise that there's already ugly crying about Jodie Whittaker's casting and not-so-secret hopes that she fails so that the dissenters can point and say, "Told you." Here's the thing: I haven't watched Doctor Who since Tom fucking Baker, but I will definitely be checking it out now, and I assure you, for every one viewer taking their Tardis and going home, there will be someone to step in to take your place. If it fails, it will be on the merits of the writing and storytelling, not because the Doctor is a woman.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:55:19 pm by coolbyrne »
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4827 on: July 16, 2017, 04:54:10 pm »
These kinds of decisions are always interesting to me because it shows a side of posters I might not normally have suspected or seen. (Religion and politics threads are also good for this kind of discovery.) In an era where we're having a hell of a time accepting the simpleidea of a black James Bond, it's no surprise that there's already ugly crying about Jodie Whittaker's casting and not-so-secret hopes that she fails so that the dissenters can point and say, "Told you." Here's the thing: I haven't watched Doctor Who since Tom fucking Baker, but I will definitely be checking it out now, and I assure you, for every one viewer taking their Tardis and going home, there will be someone to step in to take your place. If it fails, it will be on the merits of the writing and storytelling, not because the Doctor is a woman.

Brilliant post my thoughts entirely.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4828 on: July 16, 2017, 04:55:30 pm »
My 12 year old daughter is happy.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4829 on: July 16, 2017, 04:57:48 pm »
These kinds of decisions are always interesting to me because it shows a side of posters I might not normally have suspected or seen. (Religion and politics threads are also good for this kind of discovery.) In an era where we're having a hell of a time accepting the simpleidea of a black James Bond, it's no surprise that there's already ugly crying about Jodie Whittaker's casting and not-so-secret hopes that she fails so that the dissenters can point and say, "Told you." Here's the thing: I haven't watched Doctor Who since Tom fucking Baker, but I will definitely be checking it out now, and I assure you, for every one viewer taking their Tardis and going home, there will be someone to step in to take your place. If it fails, it will be on the merits of the writing and storytelling, not because the Doctor is a woman.

You can't change things like this though.

People won't stand for it.

People remember the Doctor being a man, pounds and ounces, shillings and guineas, back when we had the Empire, back when Britain was great before the EU started meddling in it, back when men were men and women were in the kitchen. It's political correctness gone mad, Beryl.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4830 on: July 16, 2017, 05:01:13 pm »
Regardless of who they picked, the most crucial person in new Who has been shown to be the show runner rather than the doctor after Capaldi was badly let down by things getting too Moffaty.

Hopefully they will go for a larger group of companions/assistants than recent years to avoid the tedious relationship rubbish, sort of like early Peter Davison where he had about 3 or 4 with him at one point.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4831 on: July 16, 2017, 05:01:58 pm »
I'm out.
Let's have Pippi Longstocking as a middle age man.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4832 on: July 16, 2017, 05:02:54 pm »

People remember the Doctor being a man, pounds and ounces, shillings and guineas, back when we had the Empire, back when Britain was great before the EU started meddling in it, back when men were men and women were in the kitchen. It's political correctness gone mad, Beryl.

Why did I even bother voting for Brexit...
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4833 on: July 16, 2017, 05:04:01 pm »
People seem to forget that fluid gender roles in acting have been around since before Shakespeare's time.

It's only a few hundred years old as a concept.

Some astonishingly backwards views (mainly on Twitter, of course) ;D

I'm out.
Let's have Pippi Longstocking as a middle age man.

Did I miss the bit where Pippi Longstocking is an alien capable of regenerating into many different forms?

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4834 on: July 16, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »
The reaction has been as amusing as I was expecting. I haven't watched the show in a few years, but this is interesting enough to pull me back in.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4835 on: July 16, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »
Why did I even bother voting for Brexit...

;D

All that good work getting us out of the EU, ruined by a BBC casting decision. I don't pay my licence fee so they can go around trying new things out on poor unsuspecting viewers!

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #4836 on: July 16, 2017, 05:08:51 pm »

Very true. I've heard Peter Dinklage has been cast to play Anne Frank. But that's what happens when you cast a woman in the role of an alien time lord who travels through time and space in a phone box.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4837 on: July 16, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
Who would've thought that Michelle Gomez would turn out to be one of the best Masters.I know that I didn't and she certainly was.
There have been four full time masters.
She's not better than Simm, certainly not better than Anthony Ainley.
Roger Delgado? Don't be absurd.

So I'd say that no, she wasn't one of the best masters.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4838 on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:14 pm »
;D

All that good work getting us out of the EU, ruined by a BBC casting decision. I don't pay my licence fee so they can go around trying new things out on poor unsuspecting viewers!
Disgusting behaviour! They'll want the vote next.

I haven't watched the series since Baker was the Doctor. I just might check it out. The last time I watched The Master was a man...I read that the last Master was a woman, yeah?  Iirc, are not Doctor Who and Master the same race? Therefore...at the end of the day, it's Dr Who...and wasn't it primarily a kids programme like...Captain Scarlet.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4839 on: July 16, 2017, 05:14:56 pm »
My 12 year old daughter is happy.

My 11 year old daughter is unhappy. It is easy to just decide that anyone against the concept is a middle aged Daily Mail reading sexist, but like most things there are more layers than that..
For my kid and me this is probably our biggest bonding thing, watching Dr who together. She wasn't a particular fan of Capaldi, but she stuck with him, I'm hoping she hangs on for a totally different dynamic before bailing, because before long she is a teenager with no desire to hang out with her dad anyway.
in terms of rating popularity, not just in the UK, but around the world has been dropping steadily, and it's because the new incarnation is, for better or worse, defined by having chemistry between young(ish) Drs and companions. Capaldi threw that off and people bailed. I honestly don't think a female dr, even if you give her an attractive young male companion, is going to create the dynamic that brings audiences back, at least not past an initial curiosity bounce.

***oh and for context, I live in the US and have for 20 years, so the show is more a niche thing, than embedded into popular culture***

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:17:21 pm by MolbyLovesGravlax »
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones