Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 354244 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #320 on: May 11, 2010, 04:30:09 am »
I really enjoyed it overall. Smith is really excellent, I'm not missing Tennant half as much as I thought I would. It was a lighter one, and my favourite two moments were the cake and the Hartnell card.

Next weeks looks superb, I must say.

So, the 'there were cracks and some we saw silence and the end of all things' the start of the clues to the final episode?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2010, 01:07:59 pm »
Meh, fairly solid episode.

Next weeks looks the nuts, been ages since there was a proper mindf*ck episode.
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2010, 08:45:28 am »
Being interviewed on Radio 1 now.  Blackburn Rovers fan.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: May 16, 2010, 04:46:03 am »
I thought Amy was top notch in this one, and also looked great pregnant. The twist was nice, too. I hope the Dream Lord comes back (or rather, an entire episode as a dream), even if they have an easy out when they realise now.

Next weeks looked okay, but not great, so hopefully the teaser didn't do it justice.

Online gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: May 16, 2010, 05:13:41 am »
I thought Amy was top notch in this one, and also looked great pregnant. The twist was nice, too. I hope the Dream Lord comes back (or rather, an entire episode as a dream), even if they have an easy out when they realise now.

Next weeks looked okay, but not great, so hopefully the teaser didn't do it justice.

I thought it was very good. I live in Aus and we're 2 weeks behind so I have to watch them on the net and the quality is sometimes not great.

We'll have to wait and see on next weeks. It's a 2 parter so you have to hope it's one of the stronger story lines.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2010, 05:57:54 am »

It would be even better if next season the "recurring theme", is the dreams, however, they just insert, say 5 scenes, that fit in with the episodes, but at the end it is revealed as being dream sequences.

Shame they've limited the 'Dream Lord', by having him be part of the Doctor himself, hopefully he can break out (a la Rose's Tennantclone), and become a long standing villain. As I've said before, the new series hasn't really established a big villain, that is a real threat to the Doctor.

They've brought back a lot, and the Slitheen may now be a recurring alien race, but other than that, most of the baddies are just monsters of the week.

The Dreamlord could be in a new series in 20 years time, just like the Master, and still be threatening and relevant.
PSN: DHitchers

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:37 am »
Great episode, but what a f*cking wank ending. He just had space hayfever...
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #327 on: May 17, 2010, 10:31:05 am »

Could be a long game. The present of the dark side in the Doctor that can manifest itself through psychic things. It could be interesting to revisit later...

There are interesting parallels to the Valeyard in the Trial of a Time Lord season.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #328 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:10 am »

Ah, but that's just what he told his companions.

Did you see Toby Jones's reflection in the console of the Tardis at the end? The doctor underwent a psychotic break, basically. The Dream Master is some weird id-version of his psyche.

And Toby Jones was brilliant. A great episode in a great series.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:25 pm »
The present of the dark side in the Doctor that can manifest itself through psychic things. It could be interesting to revisit later...

See, to me that just sounds daft. It's just re-writing things too much. It's be like the Starship Enterprise landing on a planet made of chocolate and cheese. Just doesn't fit in with the ideas.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2010, 02:12:49 pm »
See, to me that just sounds daft. It's just re-writing things too much. It's be like the Starship Enterprise landing on a planet made of chocolate and cheese. Just doesn't fit in with the ideas.

The Choclovians have gone to war with The Federation over lesser insults.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:47 pm »
I thought the ending was fine, particularly once they threw in this bit:
Did you see Toby Jones's reflection in the console of the Tardis at the end? The doctor underwent a psychotic break, basically. The Dream Master is some weird id-version of his psyche.

Enjoyable episode, felt somewhat different and I liked the Dream Master, do hope he emerges from the Doctor at some point

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2010, 06:59:54 pm »
I thought it was a fairly decent ep overall, ending could have been better, but the little reflection at the end leaves the door ajar a bit I suppose.

Matt Smith was excellent again, Amy was quite good as well, and Rory always gets a laugh.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2010, 07:13:50 pm »
The granny wielding a lawnmower over her head had me in stitches.

I hope the corn from that planet or whatever it was, was just bullshitting by the doctor could be why he is getting angrier in this series.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2010, 11:02:22 am »
The granny wielding a lawnmower over her head had me in stitches.

I hope the corn from that planet or whatever it was, was just bullshitting by the doctor could be why he is getting angrier in this series.

my kids were pissing themselves when he threw the granny off the roof!  :-\

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2010, 05:28:50 pm »
I'm still enjoying this new series immensely and Matt Smith continues to be outstanding. Good pace and tension building up the story nicely for the conclusion next week. I wonder what's up with Amy and Rory waving to their past selves.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2010, 09:50:44 pm »
got to admit, i think matt smith is absolutely fucking awesome.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:47 am »
Matt Smith is a feeble copy of Tennant, and it's not really his fault.
All the producers have done is keep a Tennant style doctor in a younger man's body. But every action he makes is a knock off of the real thing.
When the Doctor's regenerated previously you always knew it was going to be different, this time round they've just made him younger.

If it ain't broke I suppose.

The boy could be a truly great doctor if they just changed him a bit, for example stop his use of intimidation he can't carry it off, that's not a criticism it's just a fact the same way Patrick Troughton or William Hartnell could never make someone as terrified as Jon Pertwee. That's not a sleight against them, it's just their Doctor's had different strengths.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #338 on: May 24, 2010, 10:59:44 am »
Matt Smith is a feeble copy of Tennant, and it's not really his fault.
All the producers have done is keep a Tennant style doctor in a younger man's body. But every action he makes is a knock off of the real thing.
When the Doctor's regenerated previously you always knew it was going to be different, this time round they've just made him younger.

If it ain't broke I suppose.

The boy could be a truly great doctor if they just changed him a bit, for example stop his use of intimidation he can't carry it off, that's not a criticism it's just a fact the same way Patrick Troughton or William Hartnell could never make someone as terrified as Jon Pertwee. That's not a sleight against them, it's just their Doctor's had different strengths.

Give him time. Every new Doctor starts off differently than they end up.

The last three have all been different than (most) of their predesessors - in that they have all started their new role in a borderline manic state. Once they feel their character out and the writers get a chance to tailor the scripts more closely to what the actor is and has to offer, they tend to settle down and offer something far more than their first series.

I think Smith is doing quite a good job - his intimidation, I think, is a byproduct of his mania and borderline psychosis - he's more trying to hold himself back than the people around him - he's also making rash decisions and promises - which is different than the other two - if something was potentially beyond their power then they'd never promise something they couldn't deliver - he is doing it all the time.

He's got potential - but so far no one has got near Tom Baker.

At the moment, in order of how good they wer ein the role, It's probably;

1. Tom Baker

2. Eccleston, Pertwee, Davidson, Hartnell, Troughton, Smith
McGann
McCoy
Colin Baker

And an Honourable menton to Peter Cushing who was ace in the films.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:22 am »

Give him time. Every new Doctor starts off differently than they end up.

The last three have all been different than (most) of their predesessors - in that they have all started their new role in a borderline manic state. Once they feel their character out and the writers get a chance to tailor the scripts more closely to what the actor is and has to offer, they tend to settle down and offer something far more than their first series.

I think Smith is doing quite a good job - his intimidation, I think, is a byproduct of his mania and borderline psychosis - he's more trying to hold himself back than the people around him - he's also making rash decisions and promises - which is different than the other two - if something was potentially beyond their power then they'd never promise something they couldn't deliver - he is doing it all the time.

He's got potential - but so far no one has got near Tom Baker.

At the moment, in order of how good they wer ein the role, It's probably;

1. Tom Baker

McGann
McCoy
Colin Baker

And an Honourable menton to Peter Cushing who was ace in the films.
I have it right now:
1) Tom Baker/David Tennant
2) Peter Davison
3) Patrick Troughton
4) Jon Pertwee
5) Matt Smith
6) Christopher Ecclestone
7) William Hartnell
8) Colin Baker
9) Paul Mcgann
10) Sylvester McCoy

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2010, 12:40:45 am »

1. Tom Baker

McGann
McCoy
Colin Baker

I have it right now:
1) Tom Baker/David Tennant
2) Peter Davison
3) Patrick Troughton
4) Jon Pertwee
5) Matt Smith
6) Christopher Ecclestone
7) William Hartnell
8) Colin Baker
9) Paul Mcgann
10) Sylvester McCoy

No no no no....

1. Jon Pertwee
2. The rest
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #341 on: May 25, 2010, 01:54:43 pm »

No no no no....

1. Jon Pertwee
2. The rest

Nah. Tom Baker was easily the best. Pertwee was excellent as well - but not quite as good.

Tom Baker wins as well cos he's a scouser.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #342 on: May 25, 2010, 07:19:28 pm »
Nah. Tom Baker was easily the best. Pertwee was excellent as well - but not quite as good.

Tom Baker wins as well cos he's a scouser.

Fair enough, Tom Baker is second to Pertwee then ;)

Theres been two scouse Dr Who's. Baker and McGann.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #343 on: May 26, 2010, 09:58:46 am »
Fair enough, Tom Baker is second to Pertwee then ;)

Theres been two scouse Dr Who's. Baker and McGann.

McGann doesn't really count as he was in that one-off film. They threw quite a few spanners in the works with that - the Canon got a boot in the wibblies.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2010, 02:20:57 pm »
Liz Sladen was a scouser as well

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #345 on: May 29, 2010, 10:48:54 pm »
They nailed the ending on that last one. Loved it.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: May 29, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »
The end was the best part.
Absolutely fucking shit. The worst two parter since they brought it back.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2010, 10:26:55 am »
It suffered as a 2 parter. The stuff at the end which is clearly vital for the ark of the season shortened the available time so they could not do the Silurians justice in what was left of one episode. Unfortunately they did not add enough meat to make it a 2 parter. Probably should have been an extended episode like the 1st episode of the series. Escaping that, it needed a bit more meat and depth. 

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: May 30, 2010, 10:55:55 am »
It was probably the weakest episode of this season plot wise but the Chibnall written ones usually aren't that good. It really felt like he was still writing for Tennant which didn't suit Smith and there were a lot of crappy RTD style moments like the overuse of the screwdriver, real time dramatics that didn't work and the scientist lizard going from evil Dr Mengele to super good guy at the drop of a hat.

However the last ten minutes were fantastic and I actually felt a bit sad when Rory got deleted, the scene with the Doctor and Amy on the Tardis was very well done and acted. Smith is really owning the role and I much prefer him over Tennant already, I love the flashes of anger in him and how humans are continually pissing him off and letting him down.

They'll definitely be bringing Rory back though as it makes Amy plotline totally pointless as they have replaced with nothing and from what I've read about the final episodes and series arc it sounds mental.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »
The double parter was not a classic but was somewhat nice, probably was the weakest of the series but wasn't bad. The ending made me feel quite sad, well acted by all three of them

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:07 am »
Silurian girls are HOT.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2010, 01:42:52 pm »
The end was the best part.
Absolutely fucking shit. The worst two parter since they brought it back.

I thought it was quite good. Thought the first episode was great and loved the ending. Really emotional stuff. Matt Smith is just getting better and better. Not a fan of all Amy's quips but the stuff with the mum killing the Silurian was great.

It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the Dalek two-parter in series three, Daleks in Manhattan and Evolution of the Daleks, with the human Daleks. That was dire.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2010, 09:39:23 pm »
I quite enjoyed it - some good moments and the ending was really tragic. Not just for Amy to have lost Rory but for him never to have existed - you could see it wrenching the Doctor's emotions.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2010, 09:45:03 pm »
McGann doesn't really count as he was in that one-off film. They threw quite a few spanners in the works with that - the Canon got a boot in the wibblies.

I think McGann would have been a great Who if given the TV format. RTD made a big point of saying he did count and including him and Moffatt has continued that too, showing his face in the first episode when Matt Smith said 'is Earth protected?' he was one of the Doctors that came up.

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: June 1, 2010, 01:11:32 am »
Why didn't they just pull Rory into the tardis and get going. The "crack" was taking an age to pull him in. They could have atleast tried.

Possible big spoiler below...
Spoiler
And don't expect it to be the last of Rory. Remember what he left of his on the Tardis? ;)
[close]
PSN: DHitchers

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 1, 2010, 01:29:48 am »
I didn't care for either episode, unfortunately.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: June 1, 2010, 11:14:27 am »
Why didn't they just pull Rory into the tardis and get going. The "crack" was taking an age to pull him in. They could have atleast tried.

Possible big spoiler below...
Spoiler
And don't expect it to be the last of Rory. Remember what he left of his on the Tardis? ;)
[close]
But if he never existed....
Well you know the rest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #357 on: June 1, 2010, 12:01:47 pm »
But if he never existed....
Well you know the rest.

I'm sure the TARDIS is exempt from Causuality

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: June 1, 2010, 12:06:24 pm »
I'm sure the TARDIS is exempt from Causuality

Except Amy was inside the Tardis when she forgot.

I'm sure that Doctor Who is exempt from continuity.

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: June 1, 2010, 01:06:02 pm »
the scientist lizard going from evil Dr Mengele to super good guy at the drop of a hat.

Worst bit. This was definitely the worst of the series so far. Good ending though.

My theory (don't think this needs spoilers) is that the crack removes things from existance so they never existed yea? So I reckon he'll just reverse it somehow, so that it swallows itself, then boom, the cracks never existed.

Easy ;D