Author Topic: The Apollo moon landings thread  (Read 53016 times)

Offline charlie farley

• UGGly Feet
  • Kopite
Re: The Apollo moon landings thread
« Reply #240 on: July 28, 2009, 02:01:42 pm »
I watched a docu where they asked the question did it happen?
Think about it... If we travel to the equator it gets bloody hot coz we are nearer the sun. And if we go to the n/s poles it fookin freeeezin coz we are further away. How can u stand on the moon which is sometimes thousands of miles nearer or further away and not freeze or melt

just a thought ....
Suarez is going to nutmeg the fuck out of ya!!!!

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #241 on: July 28, 2009, 03:41:56 pm »
The next user to pollute this thread with the c*nspiracy word will receive a free holiday from RAWK. Mankind has repeatedly been to the moon and back on a series of well documented missions. Anyone who has cause to take issue with that fact can FUCK OFF. :wave

Doesn't quite fit the criteria but

Think about it... If we travel to the equator it gets bloody hot coz we are nearer the sun. And if we go to the n/s poles it fookin freeeezin coz we are further away. How can u stand on the moon which is sometimes thousands of miles nearer or further away and not freeze or melt

just a thought ....

:wave
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: July 28, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »

just a thought ....

The only thing about to freeze or melt is your posting ability I reckon.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:43 pm »

just a thought ....

Jesus wept! Do you really think that it's hotter at the Equator because it's closer to the Sun than at the poles?  The average distance from the Earth to the Sun is 92.5 million miles and the diameter of the Earth is only 8,000 miles. So by that reckoning the poles are 4,000 miles further away or about 0.0043% of the distance.

If that really made a difference we'd be totally fucked because the Earths orbit isn't circular and the difference between the closest and most distant points on our orbit is 3.5 million miles...

Maybe you should stop watching bollocks and read some grown-up books (ones that explain that it's the angle of incidence that affects the temperature and how the angle of the earth's axis creates the seasons).

...just a thought...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2009, 07:25:50 pm »

just a thought ....

your profile says you are 34, if you really are, then its never late to learn reading a 6th form geography book or learn to google :)
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2009, 08:15:13 pm »

just a thought ....

That must be why me feet always feel cold but me head doesn't.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #246 on: July 28, 2009, 08:29:13 pm »
Geeks.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2009, 11:23:04 pm »
This thread is the finest source of unintended humor I have read in a long week.

Thank you, Charlie Farley.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2009, 12:50:07 am »
This thread is the finest source of unintended humor I have read in a long week.

Thank you, Charlie Farley.

I reckon he's a goddam rusky.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:00 pm »

Lovely place Athens...

Istanbul is better.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2009, 03:14:33 pm »
"Send Your Name To The Moon"  was the name of a little project that nasa did with the LRV

satellite. basically you submitted your name, it goes on a memory stick/card they stick it

on the craft and viola, your name is orbitting the moon. You then print out a little certificate

with your name on it, simple and nice.

I did it for my 2 kids and when they seen their names on an official looking piece of paper

they got curious, "ehhh da, whats that all about?"...."oh yea...I signed yis up, yis are going

to the moon". Tears, pandemonium....wifey wants to kill me. I tell yas i have the best behaved

kids ever, this summer. best parenting skills ever."BE GOOD OR ITS TO THE MOON WITH YIS"

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2009, 09:33:23 am »
A rat done bit my sister Nell
With Whitey on the moon
Her face and arms began to swell
And Whitey's on the moon

I can't pay no doctor bills
But Whitey's on the moon
Ten years from now I'll be paying still
While whitey's on the moon

You know, the man just upped my rent last night
Cause whitey's on the moon
No hot water, no toilets, no lights
But whitey's on the moon

I wonder why he's uppin' me?
Cause whitey's on the moon?
Well i was already given him fifty a week
And now whitey's on the moon

Taxes takin' my whole damn check
The junkies make me a nervous wreck
The price of food is goin up
And if all that crap wasn't enough
A rat done bit my sister nell
With whitey on the moon

Her face and arm began to swell
And whitey's on the moon

With all that money i made last year
For whitey on the moon
How come I ain't got no money here?
Hmm, whitey's on the moon

You know I just about had my fill
Of whitey on the moon
I think I'll send these doctor bills
airmail special
(To whitey on the moon)
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline lurganboy

• Legacy Fan
  • Look! It's that bellend from 606!
« Reply #253 on: December 28, 2009, 10:32:42 pm »
For anyone interested this is on in half an hour - probably available on demand thereafter.

For All Mankind

Monday 28 December
11:00pm - 12:20am
BBC4

In July 1969, the space race ended when Apollo 11 fulfilled President Kennedy's challenge of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to earth. No-one who witnessed the lunar landing will ever forget it. Breathtaking both in the scope of its vision and the exhilaration of the human emotions it captures, Al Reinert's classic 1989 documentary is the story of 24 men who travelled to the moon, told in their words, in their voices and using the images of their experiences.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #254 on: December 28, 2009, 11:13:53 pm »

just a thought ....

Just stumbled across this. Classic. Reminded me of a girl I worked with, dead now God bless her. She joined a gym on County Road because they had a sunbathing area on the roof, the mad cow thought she would get a better tan because she would be "nearer to the Sun".

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #255 on: December 29, 2009, 01:27:44 am »
That must be why me feet always feel cold but me head doesn't.

Haha!  ;D

(sorry mods, just have to say this) You only had to see the astronaut on James May's programme to see that going to the moon had a powerful effect on some of the blokes who went up there. The guy who has literally painted moon paintings for years now. And the documentary In The Shadow of The Moon and the interviews with the guys who went there and how it's affected them, to see that any and all c*nspiracy books about the moon should be burned now.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:34:40 am by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #256 on: December 29, 2009, 01:28:39 am »
For anyone interested this is on in half an hour - probably available on demand thereafter.

For All Mankind

Monday 28 December
11:00pm - 12:20am
BBC4

Is this repeated? Missed it... :(
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline sunny_LFC

• Internet Terrorist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: December 29, 2009, 01:41:49 am »
Quote from: liverpoolway forum user
They lock everything on RAWK, unless it's some long winded, pretentious 'tactical' assessment or a pithy in joke from one of their mates.
"my secretary Sheila said to me that the ball had crossed the line,  that was good enough for me"

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 1, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »
Russia and China will fight to send someone on the rock now
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #260 on: February 1, 2010, 01:08:16 pm »
New Scientist is tipping Phobos as the next big target:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527451.100-destination-phobos-humanitys-next-giant-leap.html

Logic is that as it is tiny, there is negligible gravity, so the complications of needing huge fuel reserves to get back disappear - a gravity dimple rather than a gravity well.

Offline SpenceUK1968

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: February 1, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »
New Scientist is tipping Phobos as the next big target:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527451.100-destination-phobos-humanitys-next-giant-leap.html

Logic is that as it is tiny, there is negligible gravity, so the complications of needing huge fuel reserves to get back disappear - a gravity dimple rather than a gravity well.

I bought that issue.  It reminded me of playing "Leather Goddess of Phobos" way back in the day ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #262 on: February 1, 2010, 01:14:48 pm »
your profile says you are 34, if you really are, then its never late to learn reading a 6th form geography book or learn to google :)

Geography? Surely Physics or Astrophysics would be a better idea?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #263 on: February 1, 2010, 01:21:01 pm »
I bought that issue.  It reminded me of playing "Leather Goddess of Phobos" way back in the day ;D

So did I, I too was travelling to some barren wilderness; my plane landed in Newcastle.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline finchie

• It's the truth I tells ya!... the truth!...
  • Kopite
« Reply #265 on: February 1, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQDZbFM62M
Watch this for about 10 seconds at 4 min 23s.
Who's operating the camera at the Moon's surface? I'm puzzled at this.

I think the landings happened by the way (but am open minded to US deceptions!).

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #266 on: February 1, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »
Nothing to be puzzled about. It's on a motorised tripod and switched to automatic.
This sort of automatic pan/scan & focus had been in use for the previous 30 odd years for weapons development and had been pretty much perfected by the 60's after all the rocket tests over the previous 20 or so years.
The camera wasn't just haphazardly dumped on the surface, but placed at a reasonably precise location to fit in with covering the planned experiments including the escape ascent.
The escape acceleration of the LEM had already been calculated, it had to be to calculate fuel load and rock samples etc, so the angle of track and focussing if needed were reasonably predictable. A simple two axis clockwork drive with a simple telemetric trigger from the launch countdown could do that very easily, and look Ma, no hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_TV_camera
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19730010465_1973010465.pdf
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 1, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »
If only they had the iPad on the moon

Offline finchie

• Kopite
« Reply #268 on: February 1, 2010, 02:23:21 pm »
Thanks for answering that, The Gulleysucker.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 1, 2010, 03:31:36 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQDZbFM62M
Watch this for about 10 seconds at 4 min 23s.
Who's operating the camera at the Moon's surface? I'm puzzled at this.

I think the landings happened by the way (but am open minded to US deceptions!).

Gulleysucckers not quite right - it was controlled by a chap called Ed Fennell from Houstion ground control...

Read the Lunar Surface Journals - there's one for each mission with every second documented transcribed with all of the video, audio and still photography. There are even anaglyph 3d images of various sites.

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/

Journal Text: 188:01:27   MPEG Clip: (36 seconds; 4.7 MB) by Kipp Teague.

Lunar lift-off film. (Freeze-frame picture series: a visual dissection of ignition and lift-off; 395KB) The television camera was mounted on the rover which Gene parked about 145 meters east of (behind) the lunar module. The ascent stage ignites and climbs, spacecraft foil and dust flying in all directions. Ed Fendell in Houston anticipates exactly the timing of ignition, lift-off, and the rate of climb, and the camera tilts to follows the ascent. At pitchover, the throat of the ascent engine points down at the camera and its combustion is visible as a small bright light. The clip ends as Challenger reaches an altitude of 1,500 feet.

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17.html

Journal text:

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17.launch.html#1880127

Video Clip:

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17v.launch.mov

Ascent map:

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/A17_Asc.jpg
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #270 on: February 1, 2010, 03:37:57 pm »
Thanks Alan.
I didn't bother looking that bit up, it was just a very quick response I did to the 'puzzled' question as to how it could have been done.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: February 1, 2010, 03:51:42 pm »
Thanks Alan.
I didn't bother looking that bit up, it was just a very quick response I did to the 'puzzled' question as to how it could have been done.

I don't know if you've ever studied the Journals - they are amazing resources. The sheer amount of information on there is staggering. I found an old pair of 3d specs over Christmas and had a look at some of the anaglyphs (red-green 3d stereo-photography) and they were breathtaking. Never mind Avatar - seeing the moon's surface and images of the astronauts and the LEM in 3d was mind-blowing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline finchie

• Kopite
« Reply #272 on: February 1, 2010, 04:01:13 pm »
Thanks Alan_F also. Some good stuff to look at tonight. I'll get my 3d specs out also-quite excited about this!

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: February 1, 2010, 04:06:10 pm »
The camera was on the Moon Rover.  The panning up was operated by hand by a technician back on Earth.  Due to the time delay, he had to start panning up before the LEM actually took off, so that when the command reached the camera on the moon it would lift up at the right time to track the LEM taking off.  When they did it on Apollo 15 (the first mission with a rover), they cocked it up.  16 wasn't much better, but on Apollo 17 they nailed the timing...and so whenever you see video of that, it's actually Apollo 17's LEM taking off.

Edit: bah too slow.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: February 1, 2010, 04:10:36 pm »
The camera was on the Moon Rover.  The panning up was operated by hand by a technician back on Earth.  Due to the time delay, he had to start panning up before the LEM actually took off, so that when the command reached the camera on the moon it would lift up at the right time to track the LEM taking off.  When they did it on Apollo 15 (the first mission with a rover), they cocked it up.  16 wasn't much better, but on Apollo 17 they nailed the timing...and so whenever you see video of that, it's actually Apollo 17's LEM taking off.

Edit: bah too slow.

Haha - you didn't allow for the time delay...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: February 1, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »
Haha - you didn't allow for the time delay...
;D

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #276 on: February 1, 2010, 05:17:06 pm »

just a thought ....

http://
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #277 on: February 2, 2010, 08:00:27 pm »
Mythbusters did a good episode on the moon landing if people want to watch them answer few questions

PS:

just a thought ....

Oh dear..
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #278 on: February 2, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »
I don't know if you've ever studied the Journals - they are amazing resources. The sheer amount of information on there is staggering. I found an old pair of 3d specs over Christmas and had a look at some of the anaglyphs (red-green 3d stereo-photography) and they were breathtaking. Never mind Avatar - seeing the moon's surface and images of the astronauts and the LEM in 3d was mind-blowing.

Geek. 

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 2, 2010, 09:37:11 pm »
Geek. 

Most definitely... To know that you're looking at something photographed by humans a quarter of a million miles from home... to look up at that amazing object hanging in the sky and realise men actually went there... you'd have to be made of stone not to be touched by the immensity of it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)