Author Topic: New Managing Director Appointed - Christian Purslow  (Read 70934 times)

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New Managing Director Appointed - Christian Purslow
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:22:11 am »
LFC APPOINTS MANAGING DIRECTOR
Paul Eaton 22 June 2009 

Liverpool FC Co-Chairmen, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, today announced the appointment of Christian Purslow as Managing Director of the Club. 
Christian Purslow will assume overall management of the Club until the appointment of a new Chief Executive, and will then continue as a Board Director. As Managing Director, Purslow will represent the owners and oversee all financial and operational aspects of the Club, working with Rafa Benitez on player transfers and with the Club's Group Chief Financial Officer, Philip Nash and Commercial Director, Ian Ayre on Club and commercial management.

George Gillett said: "Tom and I felt that it was important to put a highly experienced and respected executive in place to run the Club and support the senior team and the Manager. There's a lot to get done over the summer to build on the great season we just had and Christian will be a valuable addition to the team."

Tom Hicks added: "Christian has been a great supporter of the Club for many years and he's already built up good relationships at Anfield. His strategic and commercial acumen will be a real asset and we're delighted that he has made a long term commitment to the Club."

Christian Purslow, 45, a long time Liverpool season ticket holder, is an Executive Board member of MidOcean Partners, a private equity firm which he co-founded. He was previously a director of Morgan Grenfell Private Equity. Prior to his private equity career Purslow was Head of Media, Cable and Entertainment for Schroder Salomon Smith Barney in Europe and head of UK Mergers and Acquisitions for Credit Suisse First Boston. Purslow is a fluent Spanish speaker, has a modern Languages degree from Cambridge University and an MBA from Harvard Business School.

Executive search firm Odgers Berndtson is conducting the CEO recruitment process and an appointment will be made in due course. 

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New Managing Director Appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:34 am »
Just been on ssn!
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:25:51 am »
Does he post on here??? ;D
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:34 am »
No surprises then that his background is financial, with regards to our current circumstances and future challenges.

At least we'll have somebody who you'd expect to be prudent with our pennies. Not entirely sure he has much experience with qualities such as brand awareness, marketing and delivering in a diverse market to one that he is used to.

Still.. Good Luck Christian, we wish you all the very best!
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:29:02 am »
Seems like he will move on to the board as well once we appoint a chief executive. Will be good to see Liverpool supporters in the boardroom.

We will have to get used to the fact the americans are going nowhere.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:30:53 am »
No surprises then that his background is financial, with regards to our current circumstances and future challenges.

At least we'll have somebody who you'd expect to be prudent with our pennies. Not entirely sure he has much experience with qualities such as brand awareness, marketing and delivering in a diverse market to one that he is used to.

Still.. Good Luck Christian, we wish you all the very best!

Surely the quality we are most interested in at the moment is player negotiations :P.  Can he bring Rafa who he wants or will he be another Parry?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:32:42 am »
Sounds good on paper.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:35:52 am »
Surely the quality we are most interested in at the moment is player negotiations :P.  Can he bring Rafa who he wants or will he be another Parry?

Well success on the pitch usually is suffice to get any players attention, coupled with our history... we really don't need to be locking players in rooms (ala Harry Redknapp) to get them to sign.

I'm more interested in how he can exploit the commercial opportunities that Parry clearly had missed, an extra £40m a year would be useful, no doubt G+H would also agree.

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:26 am »
He looks a reet smooth fucker too - hope he is a good negotiator.

Should be straight into work today with Rafa back from his holidays - get some fucking deals done lads.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:46 am »
A very impressive CV.It looks like a good appointment, and a Spanish speaker too..........
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:40:14 am »
Very interesting.

This was the guy who Hicks brought to the Arsenal game iirc and has been advising on financing matters.

The comment "will represent the owners and oversee all financial and operational aspects of the Club" is the nub of this one.

I'd say the odds of the club being sold have reduced somewhat.

EDIT: actually, I'm going to qualify that - if G&H wanted to sell the club (or part of it), then putting someone like this into the club to tidy it up would be entirely logical, especially given his background. This guy, I guess, is the replacement for Foster Gillett, with the difference being that Purslow is actually qualified for the job. The plot, it seems, thickens.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:44:37 am by vanoord »
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:42:52 am »
I think there is virtually nil chance of the club being sold to be honest, especially if Hicks manages to raise some money from sales of his sports clubs. Would like to think they will both be investing some of their money (around 200mill or so between them) into the club to help fund the new ground. Would go some way to right many of their wrongs.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:44:10 am »
Sounds good on paper.
A very impressive CV.It looks like a good appointment, and a Spanish speaker too..........

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:44:16 am »

I'd say the odds of the club being sold have reduced somewhat.

I think we all sadly know that. I generally dont trust his kind, but thats just my left wing anti-capitalist nature i suppose.

Lets see what he can do, but unless its water into wine type miracles, i cant see much changing.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:45:26 am »
i guess it's good he's a liverpool supporter, there's nothing else to comment on i guess.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 09:49:39 am »
Lets hope he gets along with Rafa otherwise more in house fighting.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 09:51:00 am »
"continue as Board director". Does that mean he gets a place on the board? Would the chief exec get one too when he comes? Might make more sense of Moores resigning from the board if so. 2 places freed and 2 places taken. So we have a chief financial director, a commercial director a managing director, a ceo (no doubt all money men) and Rafa as top brass? I remember when it was all about football. Gotta move with the times tho, yeah.   :-\

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:26 am »
Well he does speak fluent spainish apparently Lyndsey so at least Rafa should be able to get his point across if he can't word it properly in English
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline koppper

• Berrg
  • Kopite
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:41 am »
This makes is a lot more/less likely that we will be sold - I haven't decided which yet.
My postillion has been struck by lightning

I am the berrgman

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 09:56:01 am »
Anyone else think he looks like Alan Hansen?
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 09:59:12 am »
"continue as Board director". Does that mean he gets a place on the board? Would the chief exec get one too when he comes? Might make more sense of Moores resigning from the board if so. 2 places freed and 2 places taken. So we have a chief financial director, a commercial director a managing director, a ceo (no doubt all money men) and Rafa as top brass? I remember when it was all about football. Gotta move with the times tho, yeah.   :-\

It potentially opens up for the resignation of Foster Gillett and Tom Hicks Jnr, with a couple of spaces on the board being given to new investors - with the sixth being taken by the new CEO (potentially appointed by the new investors). That would give a board split 3/3 between the Americans and A.N.Others.

Pure speculation, but the point of Purslow being appointed to look after the interests of the Yanks on this side of the pond is interesting.

The slightly worrying aspect of this is that Purslow is an expert at borrowing money - what we need is equity, not debt.

It's probably good news for the stadium development and we'll have to hope that his love of the club as a season ticket holder makes him more likely to look after the long-term future of LFC rather than maximising profits for the Yanks.
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 10:08:28 am »
He looks a reet smooth fucker too - hope he is a good negotiator.

Should be straight into work today with Rafa back from his holidays - get some fucking deals done lads.

Wasn't he in the A-team?
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 10:13:19 am »
I think if anything it points to a new ownership structure moving forward. 

It's odd that a new CEO hasn't been appointed yet - they've had 3-4 months to figure it out since Parry's announcement. 

This appointment smells of the strategy of new investment coming in with H&G retaining a stake. 

I wish I had more news about the previous Kuwaiti interest (which was real) but I don't have a sniff :(

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:12 am »
I dont see this as a good thing.  Based on being a H+G appointment.   
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:59 am »

It's odd that a new CEO hasn't been appointed yet - they've had 3-4 months to figure it out since Parry's announcement. 

This appointment smells of the strategy of new investment coming in with H&G retaining a stake. 

I wish I had more news about the previous Kuwaiti interest (which was real) but I don't have a sniff :(

Interesting take on things. It does seem odd that they've taken so long to change the structure of the club.

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 10:18:47 am »

I hope that this is right and we are the club with 60% ownership being talked about.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 10:20:08 am »
I find it's a bit odd that they've created this temporary managing directors roll.

Why not make this Christian Purslow our new CEO if he ticks all the boxes like G&H say. Something's afoot.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 10:21:30 am »
CV is impressive. A Liverpool fan. Can't be that bad I guess
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 10:23:07 am »

Wasn't he in the A-team?

isn't it that mush off Emmerdale?

Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:00 am »
sounds good, I always feel better when a boardmember have a conection to the club, like being a season ticket holder. He knows the problems with the atmosphere, ticket scheme/sales etc etc etc, at least I hope so, you never know in this football world.
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:09 am »
I hope that this is right and we are the club with 60% ownership being talked about.

It is looking quite possible now, but if it does happen and G & H keep 20% each there will be 3 people with their fingers in the pie, its just not going to work out.

What we do know is this fella from RAK is big in the construction business thats where they made their money, wouldnt rule it out that he will be building and funding the stadium, this tied in with Moores stepping down tells me somethings a foot.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:33 am »
Just done a quick google on him and a trawl through the non lfc results.
Found this, which I think is him...http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/pdf/A172161P.pdf
Can anyone confirm that it is him and if so, anyone any ideas what this was all about as I can't decide if it is a good or bad thing?
Generally looks like he has been involved in various buy outs and venture capital stuff over the years and maybe that's what his experience is for?
Seems well qualified.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:49 am »
Christian Purslow sounds good on paper, like someone mentioned. Season-ticket holder for long, fluent Spanish speaker and his previous job posts all point towards a very good appointment. Hope he brings in a fantastic CEO, who we deserve after a joker called Parry.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:14 am »
Its a massive coincidence that he happens to be a liverpool fan.  Appeasement appointment.
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:42 am »
It does seem odd that they seem to have added a role, so to speak, we've just needed a ceo I thought since we already have a commercial and finance director, plus rafa is now football director (or somesuch). If it is new investors then I just hope G&H are minority shareholders from then on. And these new investors are not worse than they were. I'd stiil be very wary of them if only for the fact they're willing to be partners to the 2 idiots though.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 10:29:43 am »
It does seem odd that they seem to have added a role,

Not really, P&M were lame ducks.Bringing some quality to the board is welcome.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 10:31:26 am »
Weren't the two blokes who sold the club recently Liverpool fans?

Not being funny, but I guess we'll have to wait and see whether he's a Liverpool fan like us who wants to see the club be the best it can be, or whether he's a fan who likes the opportunity to buy more nice, new cars etc.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 10:36:41 am »
Weren't the two blokes who sold the club recently Liverpool fans?

Not being funny, but I guess we'll have to wait and see whether he's a Liverpool fan like us who wants to see the club be the best it can be, or whether he's a fan who likes the opportunity to buy more nice, new cars etc.

I doubt it would be the latter - sounds like he already has plenty of money for the cars.  Also, it doesn't sound like he's a shrinking violet either, so I'm not expecting him to be a patsy or pushover in the board. 

He's clearly there to oversee investment coming into the club.  The format that it takes is going to be the interesting thing.

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 10:37:43 am »

I'm more interested in how he can exploit the commercial opportunities that Parry clearly had missed, an extra £40m a year would be useful, no doubt G+H would also agree.

We already have someone for that role in Ian Ayre don't we?

Offline adamreadthis

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42:00 am »
Anyone else think he looks like Alan Hansen?

Johnathon Dimbleby