Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1054346 times)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition
« Reply #8600 on: August 29, 2021, 09:06:02 am »
Best moment of Jamie Redknapp's punditry career by far.

https://twitter.com/hudDESIfield/status/1431724920678064132?s=19

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8601 on: August 29, 2021, 09:35:17 am »

Gary Neville putting on a hollow “I’m in on the joke, it’s just bit of fun, what great banter” laugh there because he didn’t think for one moment anyone on Sky would call him out on it and so hasn’t come up with one of his bullshit excuses as to why it was all fine really.

Give him a couple of weeks to come up with some ridiculous justification for his actions and he’ll be responding to those comments little differently.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:39:39 am by Kekule »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8602 on: August 29, 2021, 09:57:43 am »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8603 on: August 29, 2021, 10:03:49 am »
Loved the way Jimmy Floyd pissed himself at that too. Fuck off Neville you little weasel. Redknapp had him bang to rights there.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8604 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:40 pm »
Danny Mills know f**k all. Absolute tube. So so unprepared. European round a little earlier in the radio and he spent the half hour dodging questions and talking in cliches. He was asked about Saul, what kind of player Chelsea are getting? Good player, played for Atletico, won leagues there. Where will he fit in for Chelsea Danny ?  He plays centre mid and gives them another option in there. Will he play alongside Kante Danny ? Chelsea have so many options now, they have strength in depth. They can replace one international with another.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8605 on: August 31, 2021, 11:15:11 pm »
No James Richardson or Chris Coleman?

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8606 on: August 31, 2021, 11:22:05 pm »

This is fucking excellent, only seeing this now.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8607 on: September 5, 2021, 03:51:06 pm »
Danny Mills know f**k all. Absolute tube. So so unprepared.

I’m shocked he still gets work. Influx of new younger ex players and knowledgeable female pundits or ex players should mean dinosaurs like mills should be shit canned for good

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8608 on: September 5, 2021, 04:36:53 pm »
I like Ian Wright. More of him than the likes of Shearer, Keane, Sutton, Savage and most of the rest please.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8609 on: September 5, 2021, 06:58:18 pm »
I like Dan Walker, nice fella too.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8610 on: September 5, 2021, 06:58:44 pm »
I like Ian Wright. More of him than the likes of Shearer, Keane, Sutton, Savage and most of the rest please.

Yeah I do like Wright, good crack for a few pints too i'd say.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #8611 on: September 5, 2021, 09:35:49 pm »

. Love it Jamie lad. The manic false laugh from ratboy is priceless. Fucking fuming he is
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8612 on: September 6, 2021, 04:09:32 pm »
Did Trent Alexander-Arnold kill Lee Dixon's cat or something?  During the England game this weekend Dixon had just finished a diatribe about how Trent needs to work on his defending (and how it obviously "isn't a priority in a Klopp side"...) when he picked the ball up on the right touchline just over the halfway line and pinged an inch perfect ball into Bellingham's stride on the left corner of the penalty.  Dixon never said a word.  If that would have been Kane playing that pass he wouldn't have shut up about it.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8613 on: September 6, 2021, 09:38:02 pm »
Did Trent Alexander-Arnold kill Lee Dixon's cat or something?  During the England game this weekend Dixon had just finished a diatribe about how Trent needs to work on his defending (and how it obviously "isn't a priority in a Klopp side"...) when he picked the ball up on the right touchline just over the halfway line and pinged an inch perfect ball into Bellingham's stride on the left corner of the penalty.  Dixon never said a word.  If that would have been Kane playing that pass he wouldn't have shut up about it.

See that's exactly the kind of line so many of these lazy lazy pundits come out with. If a team play attractive football there's a bizarre perception that defending isn't important. They say these things, someone else repeats it and before you know it its fact. 
Let me see, off the top of my heads memory, the last 3 years our defensive record "in a Klopp side" Lee was 3rd best (with no defenders all season), 1st and 1st. But never mind, defending isn't a priority huh. Dear God. Idiot he is

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8614 on: September 9, 2021, 12:34:51 am »
Reading through that list just makes me pine for the finest ever to grace the genre. Whether it be footy or athletics David Coleman was supreme and nobody for me has ever come close. His commentaries were works of great art laced with orgasms of pulsing excitement. Peerless. Pity he was a fucking Manc like but you’d never have known plus it didn’t matter so much back then.  :)

edit: Ha ha just voted for Ally and Pat Nevin and seen they’re runaway winners. I do like them but it really does show the paucity of pundits to match the likes of Coleman, wolstenholme and Peter Jones. Christ even Motson and Hugh Jon’s knock spots off the current mob.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2021, 12:46:59 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #8615 on: September 9, 2021, 01:13:34 am »
Reading through that list just makes me pine for the finest ever to grace the genre. Whether it be footy or athletics David Coleman was supreme and nobody for me has ever come close. His commentaries were works of great art laced with orgasms of pulsing excitement. Peerless. Pity he was a fucking Manc like but you’d never have known plus it didn’t matter so much back then.  :)

edit: Ha ha just voted for Ally and Pat Nevin and seen they’re runaway winners. I do like them but it really does show the paucity of pundits to match the likes of Coleman, wolstenholme and Peter Jones. Christ even Motson and Hugh Jon’s knock spots off the current mob.

Some great legends of sport broadcasting named there, pal...Motson wouldn't make my list. I'd have Barry Davies way above him. Carpenter, Arnott, Allis, Benaud. Pleasure to listen to their commentary. They were integral to the sport they commented on
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #8616 on: September 9, 2021, 01:26:59 am »
See that's exactly the kind of line so many of these lazy lazy pundits come out with. If a team play attractive football there's a bizarre perception that defending isn't important. They say these things, someone else repeats it and before you know it its fact. 
Let me see, off the top of my heads memory, the last 3 years our defensive record "in a Klopp side" Lee was 3rd best (with no defenders all season), 1st and 1st. But never mind, defending isn't a priority huh. Dear God. Idiot he is
Not surprised. He is a Manc (City fan), after all.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8617 on: September 9, 2021, 10:16:52 am »
I love the fact that Emma Hayes offering more insight in 60 seconds than most male pundits do in a year winds so many people up online. It was evident again last night. In fact people had to resort to having a go at the sound of her voice by the end.

Didn't see any of the WSL over the weekend but I presume it was all female presenters and pundits?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8618 on: September 9, 2021, 12:09:26 pm »
I love the fact that Emma Hayes offering more insight in 60 seconds than most male pundits do in a year winds so many people up online. It was evident again last night. In fact people had to resort to having a go at the sound of her voice by the end.

Didn't see any of the WSL over the weekend but I presume it was all female presenters and pundits?
I was channel surfing and flicked over as they were dissecting the Man U vs. Reading game.  I can't remember the pundits but I do remember "Bruno" Heskey had landed a gig on it.  He was introduced as a Leicester City Ambassador so I wasn't too sure what the connection was or if he was just there as a one-off.

I mentioned on an earlier page that I think Emma Hayes is really good.  I'm glad she's getting invited back during the season as I thought it might be one of those whereby managers only pop-up for pundit duties during the summer tournaments.

(Off topic but they evidently don't use goal-line technology as Reading had a clear goal not given.  That seemed to be the main topic of debate and I didn't feel the need to put my foot through the TV so that's a generally good indicator on the quality of the punditry.)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8619 on: September 9, 2021, 12:48:27 pm »
Some great legends of sport broadcasting named there, pal...Motson wouldn't make my list. I'd have Barry Davies way above him. Carpenter, Arnott, Allis, Benaud. Pleasure to listen to their commentary. They were integral to the sport they commented on

So true P. Never really understood the Motson appreciation. For me he was always more of a trainspotter who mistook footy for trains. And yeah Barry Davies was streets ahead for me too. As for your other names you’re spot on. Each of them became the voice of their respective sports. Each of them a master of their art. Which was your fave P? For me David Coleman towers over them all, though I know each of them has their champions. Oh Ted Lowe and Murray Walker and Sid Waddell too eh mate.  :)
« Last Edit: September 9, 2021, 12:57:01 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8620 on: September 9, 2021, 01:18:21 pm »
So true P. Never really understood the Motson appreciation. For me he was always more of a trainspotter who mistook footy for trains. And yeah Barry Davies was streets ahead for me too. As for your other names you’re spot on. Each of them became the voice of their respective sports. Each of them a master of their art. Which was your fave P? For me David Coleman towers over them all, though I know each of them has their champions. Oh Ted Lowe and Murray Walker and Sid Waddell too eh mate.  :)
Agree, always irritated me with that stupid excited voice he put on when coming out with some obscure coincidence.
I could have tolerated that had he not joined the media pile on with Rafa. Remember hearing him on 5 live one Monday night and the vitriol from someone supposed to be a "gent" of the game was quite something.

The pundits that recognise that they are not the main event and display impartiality and professionalism are the best.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8621 on: September 9, 2021, 01:30:55 pm »
Barry Davies had much more memorable commentary lines aswell, not just in football either (look at his face, Gazza free kick vs Arsenal, Fowler UEFA Cup final). He did Hockey (where were the Germans?) and Wimbledon aswell. Did the Germany game at Euro 96 but only one World Cup final (1994).

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8622 on: September 9, 2021, 02:50:23 pm »

Ray French on the rugby league too.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #8623 on: September 9, 2021, 02:52:10 pm »
Let's not encourage them to have Jermaine Jenas on the 110m hurdle analysis and Chris Sutton commenting on Roger Federer's backhand.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #8624 on: September 9, 2021, 02:58:17 pm »

Peter Jones for me was the best. Listening to his commentary on our matches on the radio in the 70’s in my formative years. Pure class
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8625 on: September 9, 2021, 03:35:27 pm »
Ray French on the rugby league too.

Yeah great shout - he was a schoolteacher at Cowley Grammar or West park I think. And let's not forget his mentor the great Eddie Wareing.

:)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8626 on: September 9, 2021, 03:39:04 pm »
Peter Jones for me was the best. Listening to his commentary on our matches on the radio in the 70’s in my formative years. Pure class

Oh yeah. Peter jones radio 2 footy commentaries were just the best and coincided with our finest years too.

:)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8627 on: September 9, 2021, 03:40:52 pm »
Agree, always irritated me with that stupid excited voice he put on when coming out with some obscure coincidence.
I could have tolerated that had he not joined the media pile on with Rafa. Remember hearing him on 5 live one Monday night and the vitriol from someone supposed to be a "gent" of the game was quite something.

The pundits that recognise that they are not the main event and display impartiality and professionalism are the best.

Never knew that re Rafa. Just shows I guess our base instincts to not rate him were on the mark.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8628 on: September 9, 2021, 03:47:12 pm »
I hate Steve McManaman
An enormous mingebag, I met him, God and McAteer at a Liverpool event in the Limelight in Belfast, missus bought me VIP tickets so I could go backstage and get things signed, photos etc, Peter McDowall (the LFC TV fella) is a nice fella too, he was hosting it, but while backstage I chatted away to McAteer and God, and ignored that other twonk, despite his millions in the bank and truckload of winners medals he'll never forget me snubbing him that night ha!

I did get outbid by £20 at the end for Daniel Aggers boots from Athens 2007 though for fuck sake.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8629 on: September 9, 2021, 03:47:30 pm »
Made up I spotted this thread. Good on yer Andy lad for starting it. It's given me an amazing hour on You Tube watching the superb four part David Coleman tribute which for those of a certain vintage and hopefully for anyone else who might not understand all the fuss about the fella is a fantastic trip down sports memory lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34zTxEPpXg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8630 on: September 9, 2021, 03:50:13 pm »
Made up I spotted this thread. Good on yer Andy lad for starting it. It's given me an amazing hour on You Tube watching the superb four part David Coleman tribute which for those of a certain vintage and hopefully for anyone else who might not understand all the fuss about the fella is a fantastic trip down sports memory lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34zTxEPpXg
Was it Coleman or Davies that uttered the unforgettable "and you have to say that's magnificent" after Maradonas goal against the Brits?, I've a feeling it was Davies, but you just don't get commentators like those two now.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8631 on: September 9, 2021, 03:55:21 pm »
Was it Coleman or Davies that uttered the unforgettable "and you have to say that's magnificent" after Maradonas goal against the Brits?, I've a feeling it was Davies, but you just don't get commentators like those two now.

That was Davies.  "There is no debate about that goal. That was just pure football genius"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8632 on: September 9, 2021, 03:58:50 pm »
An enormous mingebag, I met him, God and McAteer at a Liverpool event in the Limelight in Belfast, missus bought me VIP tickets so I could go backstage and get things signed, photos etc, Peter McDowall (the LFC TV fella) is a nice fella too, he was hosting it, but while backstage I chatted away to McAteer and God, and ignored that other twonk, despite his millions in the bank and truckload of winners medals he'll never forget me snubbing him that night ha!

I did get outbid by £20 at the end for Daniel Aggers boots from Athens 2007 though for fuck sake.

Ha ha. Pity you don't have a video!!

To be honest I've mellowed re McManaman. I remember being incandescent when he fucked us off and writing this real vitriolic piece for the RAOTL fanzine which split opinions. I guess i must have mellowed with age on players who shit on us and tend to recall only how amazing he was for that 2 or 3 year spell when he became our main attacking threat. With more than a little help from Robbie, Jonesy and the ageing Barnesy of course. As a co-pundit he is shite tho with that awful fucking Fletch geezer and like so many ex-Reds cannot seem to get over a subliminal compulsion to try to appear neutral and end up leaning the other fucking way.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8633 on: September 9, 2021, 04:01:32 pm »

David Coleman would have spotted the hand before the replays. And would have called it and run on the pitch and nutted the fat argie twat!!  ;D

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8634 on: September 9, 2021, 04:14:23 pm »

I went to one of them few years ago here in Derry too it was some night. McAteer was class by all accounts (each table had a Liverpool player and a Derry City player at each). Mike Marsh was there, absolute bellend, disappeared to his room right after dinner, came back and ignore everyone.  An absolute gentleman though was Bob Boulder ! Bought a few rounds and all. Working for Charlton in the community at the time.

David Coleman - he was great. I dont remember him that well but my father really liked him too, he always said he came across as a proper good fella too and down to earth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8635 on: September 9, 2021, 04:23:09 pm »
Ha ha. Pity you don't have a video!!

To be honest I've mellowed re McManaman. I remember being incandescent when he fucked us off and writing this real vitriolic piece for the RAOTL fanzine which split opinions. I guess i must have mellowed with age on players who shit on us and tend to recall only how amazing he was for that 2 or 3 year spell when he became our main attacking threat. With more than a little help from Robbie, Jonesy and the ageing Barnesy of course. As a co-pundit he is shite tho with that awful fucking Fletch geezer and like so many ex-Reds cannot seem to get over a subliminal compulsion to try to appear neutral and end up leaning the other fucking way.
I'm a hard hearted bastard too when it comes to players leaving, but if wee Luis Suarez came back, even at 34 I'd find it in my heart to forgive him, him and Rush leaving were the hardest for me to take, not even Torres hurt as much.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8636 on: September 9, 2021, 04:25:54 pm »
I went to one of them few years ago here in Derry too it was some night. McAteer was class by all accounts (each table had a Liverpool player and a Derry City player at each). Mike Marsh was there, absolute bellend, disappeared to his room right after dinner, came back and ignore everyone.  An absolute gentleman though was Bob Boulder ! Bought a few rounds and all. Working for Charlton in the community at the time.

David Coleman - he was great. I dont remember him that well but my father really liked him too, he always said he came across as a proper good fella too and down to earth
McAteer and God were super super sound, McManaman was OK too but I hadn't forgiven him yet!, McAteer bought a round for a load of lads at the front, I think they were singing that version of Yellow Submarine about "we all live in a Robbie Fowler house", I know it was a Man City (pre Sportswash) song, but Robbie still got a kick out of it.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8637 on: September 9, 2021, 04:35:41 pm »
McAteer and God were super super sound, McManaman was OK too but I hadn't forgiven him yet!, McAteer bought a round for a load of lads at the front, I think they were singing that version of Yellow Submarine about "we all live in a Robbie Fowler house", I know it was a Man City (pre Sportswash) song, but Robbie still got a kick out of it.

McAteer seems like a great fella, pity he's not about in the media more than he is. Every time I see him though I think of the story about lining up for Ireland at the 94 World Cup and the girl with the viking hat  :)

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8638 on: September 9, 2021, 04:52:35 pm »
They've all been shite since Saint n' Greavsie. McCoist is the only one I can listen to. Otherwise I stick a Russian stream on as they make more sense.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8639 on: September 11, 2021, 12:05:39 pm »
Alex Scott now presents Football Focus
 :butt   
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.