Author Topic: Viva La Vida (Coldplay) - what's it about? Hip Hop fans might agree with this...  (Read 2296 times)

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
When it comes to music, I quite like songs with some substance or meaning behind the words, even though I may not necessarily be deep enough to understand them :-\. For months now I've wondered what Viva la Vida was actually about (lyrics here) - I know there are suggestions of it being related to the Crusades, fall of the Roman Empire, the American political establishment, George Bush, etc., but I've never really found a definitive answer. I guess like a lot of artistic work, it's open to interpretation.

With the upcoming anniversary of Biggie Smalls' death, and the film Notorious that's out now, I've recently been revisiting some of the Hip Hop material from my school days, and all the East/West Coast rivalry stuff. Then I realised that there's one person who could not be more fitting for that Coldplay Song...

In the mid-90's Suge Knight was a music industry mogul. As CEO and Co-founder of Death Row Records, he was worth hundreds of millions of dollars. He had artists such as Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg and Tupac signed up to his record label. Mansions worth millions, expensive cars, all the gangster rappers showing off their bling on the videos, he sat at the top of the food chain cashing their cheques. And he was a scary-looking guy as well; Black, Bald and 25 Stone, with a street cred backed by a nasty criminal record, he was probably feared more than he was respected - the Godfather of Hip Hop ;D

10 years later he's sat next to Tupac when he's gunned down (but somehow survives), then gets a 9-year stint in jail, ends up getting sued, having property seized and sold for a fraction of the price, assets from Death Row auctioned off, filing for bankruptcy with just $10 in his Account, etc. etc. More recently he was knocked out unconscious for over 3 minutes by some skinny hairdresser, got done again for beating up his girlfriend, and only a few days ago had his face kicked in and hospitalised by some guy claiming to be Akon's manager.

There's videos of him from people's phones on YouTube, getting beaten up, humiliated and turned away from clubs like a nobody, and it just made me realise how far he'd fallen. Back in the day when he owned everything, you'd be scared to even look at him cos you know he'd arrange your hit the next morning, now he's getting treated like a toothless little bitch.

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

I very much doubt the Coldplay song was actually written about Suge Knight ::), but it's someone who fits the bill quite well, but if you know for definite or can think of any other candidates, feel free to share...

THEN...

NOW...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:05:40 pm by love:the:game »
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
Is Suge Knight dead?

Read a superb book based around Death Row Records.  Have gun will travel. Some of the stuff th
at fucker got up to was unbelievable.

I'm sure y'all heard the story of him hanging vanilla ice upside down over a balcony, and demanding he sign over all rights to "Ice Ice Baby" unless he wanted to be dropped.

There was one bit about a new act he had signed, up and coming rap duo. Well one of the fellas was buzzin to get the deal, so he picks up a phone to call a few of his friends and tell them.

He hadn't realised that Suge was waiting on a phone call on that same phone, so being a reasonable man, Suge battered him to unconciousness with the phone.

I reckon Tupac would still be around nwo if it werent for that fucker, not saying he killed him, but it was his influence that caused it all.
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
have you read LAbyrinth about the Tupac/Biggie killings? Good book

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
Maybe Louis the XIV
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
They say you reap what you sow,so maybe he's just got what he deserved for being a horrrible bastard.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
what. the. fuck?
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Really went downhill for him after Fresh Prince of Bel Air finished.... poor uncle phil

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
Really went downhill for him after Fresh Prince of Bel Air finished.... poor uncle phil
;D :-X
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Great lyrics, I love decent song lyrics, they can be as good as any high brow poetry out there ( but without the same recognition )

Did you see their performace of the song on the Brit Awards the other day?

If you know your art ( I don't !) the back drop they used on the show might give you a clue to what's behind the lyrics.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
:lmao
ynwa

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
the early deathrow days were unbelievable, so much talent, some great albums (the chronic, doggystyle etc) and yet the backdrop was mental!
I love listening to dre and snoop and other affiliates talkin about them days, some mad stories of what was going on behind the scenes!

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Odd odd thread
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Here are the full lyrics to this song, personally I'm really intrigued by them.

They have to be about a fallen leader, who because of his lies knows 'St Peter won't call his name'

Plenty of them to chose from history, despite the many biblical references, and revolutionary images  my money's on it being about Bush.

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

Once you go there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

Never an honest word

Never an honest word
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:49:42 pm by Alloy »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
I thought it was a Ricky Martin cover.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
:lmao
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.