Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 4355 times)

Online Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Believer
Re: The Boys
« Reply #80 on: September 6, 2019, 11:46:19 PM »
Doesn't matter about his accent, really. Urban in this is so watchable, that you don't notice it too much. He absolutely nails Butcher's character and mannerisms. In the comic, he's been living in America for about 20 years, and you don't get a full impression of what he actually sounds like unless Hughie is doing an impression of him. Speaking of which, Quaid's accent sounds nothing like a Glasgow accent at all.

Online vivabobbycurmudgeongraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #81 on: September 7, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
Karl Urbanís Ďcockneyí accent is fucking terrible though. Iíve never read the comics but thought he was supposed to be an Aussie, until my friend told me no Butcher is a cockney. Managed to overlook it given how good the rest was, but I just donít understand why they cast him if he canít do a proper cockney accent, or even just a general English accent. So bad, really winds me up.
#
His accent has been explained in an earlier post  ;)
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Believer
« Reply #82 on: September 7, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
Whatís annoying though is for a series that is genuinely funny, why didnít they just include a 20 second dialogue where theyíre taking the piss out of his accent and explain he was between London and Oz/NZ growing up, anything to at least highlight its a mess!

Anyway the twat from Green Street still has the worst accent though, yankish-cockney was fucking atrocious.

Offline Something Worse

• Believer
« Reply #83 on: September 7, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
Whatís annoying though is for a series that is genuinely funny, why didnít they just include a 20 second dialogue where theyíre taking the piss out of his accent and explain he was between London and Oz/NZ growing up, anything to at least highlight its a mess!

Anyway the twat from Green Street still has the worst accent though, yankish-cockney was fucking atrocious.

The English guy, you mean?

Online Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Believer
« Reply #84 on: September 7, 2019, 05:06:13 PM »

They hint at it a couple of times with some mundane dialogue. Like when Butcher turns up at a crime scene and the cop at the door says "What's with the accent?" Butcher says "What's with yours?" Sort of an inside thing where they knew it was a bit odd, so they addressed it that way.

Online Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Believer
« Reply #85 on: September 7, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
The English guy, you mean?

No, the one from New Zealand  ;D

Online Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Believer
« Reply #86 on: September 7, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »

Offline Something Worse

• Believer
« Reply #87 on: September 7, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »
No, the one from New Zealand  ;D

Charlie Hunnam? Or am I missing yet another ridiculous accent in that movie

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: September 8, 2019, 07:18:37 AM »
Charlie Hunnam? Or am I missing yet another ridiculous accent in that movie

Think he means Elijah Wood.

Offline Something Worse

• Believer
« Reply #89 on: September 8, 2019, 07:32:57 AM »

I thought he played an American in it? I only remember Hunnam sounding awful but it's been a while.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats!
  • Believer
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://twitter.com/CaponsSausages
« Reply #90 on: September 8, 2019, 08:02:31 AM »
Eljah Woods an American playing an American in it.
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://twitter.com/Kabu_Dracus

Online Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Believer
« Reply #91 on: September 8, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
No Hunnam, said the New Zealand one as I thought he was referencing The Boys. Obviously not Elijah Woods he played an American!

Read this earlier as well thought it was funny given the discussion around accents:

Toronto 2019: How US star Beanie Feldstein learned Wolverhampton accent

Offline CHOPPZBOT

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock.
  • Believer
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #92 on: September 8, 2019, 01:00:01 PM »
The dolphin and lobster scenes are incredible :lmao Could watch an entire series just of him trying and failing to save sea creatures
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: September 8, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »
I thought he played an American in it? I only remember Hunnam sounding awful but it's been a while.

Right you are, my mistake. Been a long, long time since I last watched it.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Believer
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #94 on: September 8, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
Fucking brilliant series. Roll on S2

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #95 on: October 2, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
This series deserves much much more love.  My brother introduced me to it and I thought I'd give it a go when I got back from a few days working in Luxembourg.  Started the first one at around 11:30 and at 3:30am I was still up!

So much nuance in the characters, comedy, gore, sex...I mean, what's not to love? Brilliant stuff!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Never Forget
« Reply #96 on: October 3, 2019, 08:53:21 AM »
Been a binge with it too. Absolutely fantastic. No idea what accent Karl Urban was aiming for but he's so watchable.

Given thatís all most of us seem to comment on itís not bad is it. Accent from East London to rural kiwi (from earlier) seems about right to me.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. SeŮor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #97 on: October 3, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »
Karl Urbanís Ďcockneyí accent is fucking terrible though. Iíve never read the comics but thought he was supposed to be an Aussie, until my friend told me no Butcher is a cockney. Managed to overlook it given how good the rest was, but I just donít understand why they cast him if he canít do a proper cockney accent, or even just a general English accent. So bad, really winds me up.
Honestly find this crazy

It's a bad accent, but you can understand what he's saying, and he's watchable and endearing as fuck. Loved the series, thought it'd be more self-contained than it actually is though so was a bit disappointed by the final episode.

Offline Zimagic

• Believer
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »
Wow, just finished Ep8.

Amazing adaptation, given the source material. They've taken the heart of the comics and put it on a frame that would be coherent on screen, really well done.

The accents are strange. You've talked about Butcher's but Frenchie's as well. It's mostly good except when he curses and he pronounces a couple of words off. Not something a non-french speaker would notice but drove me mental.

They didn't go into the "teams" concept that's in the comics. Seems like here there's the 7 and jst some random dudes. Wonder if they will ramp that up in season 2. It's a big deal in the comics. There's no dog which is understandable but a pity.

I think it'll work as long as they keep doing what they did here and focus on the characters not the story.

Homelander is just brilliant casting. How he slips so seemlessly from his public persona to all the different fascades of his real personality, the slightly imbalanced facial structure, just perfect.
Boney's high on China White, Shorty found a punk.
Don't you know there ain't no devil, that's just Screamin' Jay when he's drunk.
Well this stuff will probably kill you, let's do another line.
What you say you meet me down on heartattack and vine.

Online Macphisto80

• Believer
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2019, 12:07:16 AM »
Wow, just finished Ep8.

Amazing adaptation, given the source material. They've taken the heart of the comics and put it on a frame that would be coherent on screen, really well done.

The accents are strange. You've talked about Butcher's but Frenchie's as well. It's mostly good except when he curses and he pronounces a couple of words off. Not something a non-french speaker would notice but drove me mental.

They didn't go into the "teams" concept that's in the comics. Seems like here there's the 7 and jst some random dudes. Wonder if they will ramp that up in season 2. It's a big deal in the comics. There's no dog which is understandable but a pity.

I think it'll work as long as they keep doing what they did here and focus on the characters not the story.

Homelander is just brilliant casting. How he slips so seemlessly from his public persona to all the different fascades of his real personality, the slightly imbalanced facial structure, just perfect.

I think they'll go back and explore the teams, and introduce some of the other main characters from them in the second series. Popclaw was in the show, but she was part of Teenage Kix, so not sure if they'll do that one. Hopefully they will, because that story in the comic was hilarious in parts. They'll surely introduce the "Legend" and Stormfront is confirmed to be in series 2, albeit he is now a she, apparently.

You're right about Homelander, and it's one thing the show improves on drastically over the comic. In fact, the show does a better job with every member of the Seven apart from Starlight, who is pretty much the only developed character of them from the pages.

Offline Something Worse

• Believer
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2019, 01:58:28 AM »
You should all try Banshee, Homelander is the main guy and it's hyper violent.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2019, 08:44:12 AM »
You should all try Banshee, Homelander is the main guy and it's hyper violent.
Holy shit !!! So he is !
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2019, 01:53:02 PM »
Itís great. Anthony Starr went from playing an anti hero to a hero thatís a massive c*nt.

Offline Something Worse

• Believer
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2019, 12:49:42 AM »
Itís great. Anthony Starr went from playing an anti hero to a hero thatís a massive c*nt.

A severely underrated actor.