Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 156327 times)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Believer
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1560 on: May 10, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »
Probably been posted I'm sure but 'Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond' about Jim Carrey's portrayal of the great Andy Kaufman is superb!

Where he...
It's on Netflix.

On my list to watch

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Believer
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1561 on: May 16, 2020, 02:34:43 AM »

https://www.netflix.com/title/81106517?preventIntent=true

Apache: The Life of Carlos Tevez

Just finished the first of eight episodes. Subtitled in English. Great cinematography inside the shantytowns.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #1562 on: May 16, 2020, 11:38:43 PM »
If your into real life police stories..
This is a great listen. Podcasts with "Gary Jubelin"  a Retired copper who interviews other high profile detectives.. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/i-catch-killers-with-gary-jubelin/id1506667049?fbclid=IwAR1-5pqgvlH8CujS9yjPislGxW6ORfQeiGcsTKuiNNeLmQ05uYiX5o0IYjk
JFT 96

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Believer
« Reply #1563 on: May 19, 2020, 01:12:50 AM »
The Last Dance on Netflix is brilliant.

I'm not really even a basketball fan (though this has made me want to follow it more). But you don't need to be. It's just a really good in depth look at a successful team (though very Jordan centric obviously) over a number of years. There's a bit of drama surounding the whole thing but they have so much behind scenes footage across the years it's hard not to be interested in.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Believer
« Reply #1564 on: May 21, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »
Given Zuckerberg has given an interview regards US election interference today; The Great Hack on Netflix is a good watch.

Offline Ziltoid

• Believer
« Reply #1565 on: May 28, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
The Jeffrey Epstein one that's just been released on Netflix.

Prince Andrew... I'll let you decide!

Online fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #1566 on: May 28, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
The Last Dance on Netflix is brilliant.

I'm not really even a basketball fan (though this has made me want to follow it more). But you don't need to be. It's just a really good in depth look at a successful team (though very Jordan centric obviously) over a number of years. There's a bit of drama surounding the whole thing but they have so much behind scenes footage across the years it's hard not to be interested in.

Binged this today

Fantastic documentary. Like you say, very Jordan focussed but I guess that’s to be expected. Comes across as a bit of a dick but absolutely phenomenal sportsman. The ‘clutch’ thing must have been invented to describe him. Would have been cool to see more about the coach and the likes of Pippen and Rodman but I guess it’s a Michael Jordan documentary more than a Bulls one.
Trent is pretty poor at free kicks. Said it for a long time. One decent free kick a few years ago and the commentators think he's Beckham

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1567 on: May 30, 2020, 04:36:42 AM »
Is the Epstein documentary on Netflix worth it or is it tawdry?

Unrelated: I'd love a proper, in-depth, no-holds-barred Queen documentary (band).
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Believer
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1568 on: May 30, 2020, 07:43:51 AM »

We watched the first episode last night. As you can imagine, very tough viewing. Certainly worth a watch.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1569 on: June 1, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
The Jeffrey Epstein one that's just been released on Netflix.

Prince Andrew... I'll let you decide!

Finished this last night. He was definitely murdered, had far too much dirt on a number of powerful people.

Offline elsewhere

• No new LFC topics
  • Believer
« Reply #1570 on: June 1, 2020, 09:47:07 PM »
I'll probably start watching and finish all episodes until weekend but good God those things just boil my blood and I become unhealthy while watching it.

Offline Ziltoid

• Believer
« Reply #1571 on: June 4, 2020, 10:16:39 PM »
Enjoyed Life after Flash, documentary about Sam Jones and the Making of Flash Gordon. Lots of the actors are interviewed apart from Timothy Dalton and Ornella Muti (which was a shame). Brian Blessed excellent as usual.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1572 on: June 6, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »

Unrelated: I'd love a proper, in-depth, no-holds-barred Queen documentary (band).

Well worth a watch. Tawdry but not deliberately shocking or graphic. Personally there was loads in it I didn't know. Another case of a true story way too far fetched to be fiction.
I never go for conspiracies but I would be surprised if he wasn't murdered. It would have been arguably the greatest shock to elite society ever seen if he turned state witness

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1573 on: June 6, 2020, 11:26:48 AM »
Yes we watched it this week. It's pretty gruesome in highlighting the sheer scale of what the man did.

Offline IgorBobbins

• Believer
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1574 on: June 7, 2020, 10:01:30 PM »
Currently watching The Last Dance.

My one main observation so far is.....Americans have very white teeth.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • Believer
« Reply #1575 on: June 7, 2020, 10:28:04 PM »
Currently watching The Last Dance.

My one main observation so far is.....Americans have very white teeth.

Great observation. Keep us updated :)

Just watched half of " the act of killing" from 2012.  Bizarre, gruesome and fascinating.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1576 on: June 9, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
Sky Arts' Battle of Brass Bands.

If you like Brassed Off, or just brass music, you don't have to pay attention to the plot, you can just enjoy the Saddleworth Whit competitions.

Offline Ziltoid

• Believer
« Reply #1577 on: June 10, 2020, 04:34:52 AM »
Blackdyke Mills band and Brighouse & Rastrick brass band very local. I'll look out for that one.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1578 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:51 AM »
Finished this last night. He was definitely murdered, had far too much dirt on a number of powerful people.

That makes no sense. He 'had dirt' on powerful people which is why he was allowed to plea bargain down to a Minor charge and get a ridiculously light jail sentence. Trump can pardon convicted war criminals and traitors, is clearly not concerned by sexual indiscretions and pardoning Epstein would make no difference to his base. If 'powerful people' were really concerned they could have told him to keep his mouth shut and quietly pardon him when things settle down.

You're also missing the point that the evidence against Epstein and other figures didn't come from Epstein himself but from his victims. There is no indication that Epstein was going to give evidence - he never did before - and the investigation is still ongoing after his death.

It's the change in attitude following #MeToo and the overwhelming weight of evidence from his victims that most likely pushed him towards suicide.

As for the people who say that he couldn't have committed suicide because he was under guard - he was an incredibly manipulative figure who was able to take the piss when he was 'incarcerated' before and the US legal and penal system is a shambles.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1579 on: June 10, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
Conspiracy Theorists Lie. A superb piece of film-making by James K. Lambert who shows where everything that people say about the JFK shooting came from and how the conspiracy theory built up over the years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conspiracy-Theorists-Lie-Alex-Jones/dp/B082WNCVZC

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1580 on: June 10, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
That makes no sense. He 'had dirt' on powerful people which is why he was allowed to plea bargain down to a Minor charge and get a ridiculously light jail sentence. Trump can pardon convicted war criminals and traitors, is clearly not concerned by sexual indiscretions and pardoning Epstein would make no difference to his base. If 'powerful people' were really concerned they could have told him to keep his mouth shut and quietly pardon him when things settle down.

You're also missing the point that the evidence against Epstein and other figures didn't come from Epstein himself but from his victims. There is no indication that Epstein was going to give evidence - he never did before - and the investigation is still ongoing after his death.

It's the change in attitude following #MeToo and the overwhelming weight of evidence from his victims that most likely pushed him towards suicide.

As for the people who say that he couldn't have committed suicide because he was under guard - he was an incredibly manipulative figure who was able to take the piss when he was 'incarcerated' before and the US legal and penal system is a shambles.

What about the first autopsy concluding that the hyoid bone damage in his neck being rare for a suicide and more common in victims of homicide? What about the second autopsy by the independent pathologist concluding that the evidence points more to homicide than it does suicide?

Also a bit of a strange coincidence that the two cameras in front of his cell malfunctioned? The two guards creating false records and not checking on him for eight hours before his death?

Offline Ziltoid

• Believer
« Reply #1581 on: June 10, 2020, 09:05:00 PM »
Malcolm is a little unwell

Amazon

About a BBC foreign correspondent who goes psycho after having a yellow fever jab.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #1582 on: June 14, 2020, 02:50:41 PM »
Short documentary about Cage football in London, an environment that has shaped talents such as Joe Gomez, Jadon Sancho, Tammy Abraham etc. The list really does go on!

Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1583 on: June 24, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
Watched one the other night on SKY Docs called 'Meth Storm'. 

Following a family in rural Arkansas who are all addicted to Meth (along with the majority of the town).

Holy shit. I know the term "trailer trash" isn't too PC but if you didn't know any better you'd think this was a parody.

Really sad stuff to be honest.

Offline Ziltoid

• Believer
« Reply #1584 on: June 25, 2020, 12:42:43 AM »
Athlete A - Netflix

Another doc about Larry Nassar and the whole US Gymnastic setup. Shocking stuff.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1585 on: July 1, 2020, 02:14:58 PM »
Watched one on SKY Docs last night called 'The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley'.  All about the rise and fall of 'Theranos' health technology company in Silicon Valley.

Its CEO and founder Elizabeth Holmes became the youngest and wealthiest self-made female billionaire in America.

Turns out their revolutionary blood testing technology was built on one big lie.

Loads of political and legal heavyweights were invested including George Schultz.  They were eventually outed by the Wall Street Journal and then shut down by the FDA.

Fascinating story and well worth a watch.

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1586 on: July 1, 2020, 02:56:22 PM »
Pele, Argentina and the Dictators on BBC.

Deals with the 1970 and 1978 World Cups when Brazil and Argentina were under military rule.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1587 on: July 3, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
Finished ‘The Last Dance’ earlier. One of the best sports documentaries I’ve ever seen.

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1588 on: July 5, 2020, 10:42:07 PM »
four days in october - Red sox V Yankees is a good watch...espn 30 for 30.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Believer
« Reply #1589 on: July 5, 2020, 10:56:02 PM »
McMillions is a brilliant watch.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1590 on: July 6, 2020, 01:25:06 AM »
McMillions is a brilliant watch.
not a bad watch.. but like other 'Docs'.. about a 1/3 too long (minor gripe) nice twist at the end  8)
Also 'FBI Special Agent Doug Mathews'   ..  ;D .. Always just about to soil himself.. Harmless lad to be honest.  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1591 on: July 8, 2020, 09:40:30 AM »
Finished Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle a couple of days ago. How did I go through 30 years of my life having never heard of this massacre until now? Absolutely insane. Fuck Jim Jones.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1592 on: July 8, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »
Finished Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle a couple of days ago. How did I go through 30 years of my life having never heard of this massacre until now? Absolutely insane. Fuck Jim Jones.

AH yes, I need to watch this. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1593 on: July 10, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
If you like Guitars/Makers.. just watched a nice docu called 'Carmine Street Guitars'..  8)

Greenwich Village guitar-maker Rick Kelly, who builds his custom-made instruments from repurposed wood scavenged from historic New York City buildings.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5c-i1oYmGk
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1594 on: July 10, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »

And cult leaders are still fooling the gullible.

And to much greater effect.

Offline mallin9

• Believer
« Reply #1595 on: Yesterday at 02:29:56 AM »
Student Athlete, about the NCAA.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1596 on: Yesterday at 10:17:32 AM »
Logged on to Netflix and saw a trailer for 'the devil next door' looks good ... added!

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1597 on: Yesterday at 03:24:37 PM »
Finished watching it. I highly recommend it. Although you'll want to put your fist through the screen at points. It just underlines how unfair the world is -- the rich can do almost anything and get away with it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-j0rjlfmDx4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-j0rjlfmDx4</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski