Author Topic: Luis Garcia  (Read 169817 times)

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
Re: Luis Garcia
« Reply #640 on: January 14, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »
He's going to be on the Sangrias night and day now. Some great memories, hope he enjoys retirement.

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
  • Neo, its about time you free your mind.
« Reply #641 on: January 14, 2014, 02:11:18 pm »
Although gerrard's goal against olympiakos was the most crucial one in our 2005 CL campaign, if it wasn't for this goal by Luis Garcia we would have never won the CL imo.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NBsraNDmuBU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NBsraNDmuBU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
I still remember the odds were completely against us to beat Juventus, they were among the top three teams in europe at that time having been the finalists just two seasons back.
This goal brought in incredible faith and confidence in the team. And what a goal it was, I don't think I've seen a better volley in my life.
Thank you Luis Garcia, you were marvelous and a top top player. Hope you return to our club someday.  :-*
Your intelligence is my common sense.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #642 on: January 14, 2014, 02:31:53 pm »
Great player, great memories. All the best in your retirement Luis! YNWA
XBL: Flash6289

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: January 14, 2014, 02:34:19 pm »
Legend.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #644 on: January 14, 2014, 02:48:58 pm »
In an age where every player and his agent will be off as soon as his ambitions (or inflated view of salary) aren’t being met, Luís García was a breath of fresh air.

The first I think we knew of him was when his mate, Spanish Fan, told this site that LG was on an Easy Jet flight to Anfield. I remember Spanish Fan arranging for Luís to answer questions here – done with honesty, humour, humility and obviously no fee.

He will be remembered a lot longer and with greater affection than all the mercenaries who may have earned more or picked up more medals. I’d like to think he got his priorities right. A credit to the game.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #645 on: January 14, 2014, 02:56:07 pm »
He really did come from Barca to bring us joy.
I don't any goal gave me such a moment of pure unadulterated joy as his goal at OT vs Chelsea in '06.
Not only was it the sweetest of volleys, but at that instant I knew they were beaten. 

His goal in the semi in '05 was way too early - we had 85 or so minutes to go, what was he trying to do to us??   :P

And I loved his song getting endless airings at Wigan last season. 

Enjoy your retirement Luis. Not surprising that his statement had an extra touch of class about it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #646 on: January 14, 2014, 02:59:47 pm »
And I loved his song getting endless airings at Wigan last season. 

Got a feeling you may be hearing it quite a few times this weekend, too.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #647 on: January 14, 2014, 03:01:14 pm »
One of my all time favourite players, enthusiastic and totally unpredictable, just wish he'd stayed a little longer.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #648 on: January 14, 2014, 03:03:52 pm »
good luck luis

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: January 14, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »
Good luck Luis and YNWA.
Thanks for that header, the volley against Juve and last but not least making maureen's rent-boys cry.

Hopefully his song will get a good airing against Villa.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #650 on: January 14, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »
:(

Cult hero, top song!

Offline stststst

• Anny Roader
  • We won it 5 times..
« Reply #651 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:34 pm »
Ill never forget him, gave me one of my favourite footy memories in FA Cup Semis at OT vs the rentboys when we lobbed Cech.. Atmosphere that day wasnt bad either

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: January 14, 2014, 03:17:08 pm »
Best of luck my man, thanks for the memories.

Offline aedge659

• Legacy Fan
  • Through wind and rain..
« Reply #653 on: January 14, 2014, 03:22:23 pm »
Even though the CL Semi against Chelsea was one of the best nights of my life. My Luis moment I'll always remember is his goal in the FA Cup Semi against the same opponents at OT, mainly because the bloke in front of my got that excited he punched me right in the chops, hell of a right hook...and hell of a finish from Luis!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-lChkOewQ

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #654 on: January 14, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »
A legend.

Best of luck to him in his retirement, hopefully we'll see him back at Anfield to watch a game soon.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #655 on: January 14, 2014, 03:37:55 pm »
Those were the days my friends...

All the best Senor Garcia, he was the best Luis we ever had until El Pistolero came along.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: January 14, 2014, 03:38:35 pm »
Ône of those players that you will talk fondly of forever. Only with us for a short time but a legend of the club and a part of some truly special moments.

Good luck to him going forward.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #657 on: January 14, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »
Lovely player, tap-ins were definately not his thing!  His goal against Juve in 2005 was a watershed moment and lead to me and my arl fella sticking 500 on us winning the whole thing.  Thanks Luis lad.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Dingle Red

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in the red and white kop
« Reply #658 on: January 14, 2014, 03:41:39 pm »
All the Best Luis fucking love you Lad.

You helped in making us Dream.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #659 on: January 14, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »
All the best you wonderful man, thanks for the memories...

Ha, me too, just randomly around the house!

Me too. ;D

Offline ctyapt

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #660 on: January 14, 2014, 04:03:46 pm »
Great little player with a massive heart..
Really lit up that Liverpool side with his flashes of skill and audacity.

Also still find myself singing his song. El Padre should be rich from royalties from that gem

All the best Luis
YNWA

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: January 14, 2014, 04:20:38 pm »
Fucking class act. Love that guy.

YNWA Luis!

~~~~

As an aside, I saw a pic of a (real) banner on twitter that said something like "OK we admit it never crossed the line" Anyone have a pic of it? Finding it hard to search for :P

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #662 on: January 14, 2014, 04:34:40 pm »
Loved him. He wasn't 'world class' but he was capable of things only the world class could manage. He had a wit and an imagination up there with Suarez, for me. Was he as good a player? No. But fucking hell, he was genuinely capable of the most unexpected things.

The goal away to Norwich at the back end of the 04-05 season. I think it was Gerrard who knocked a diagonal over the top for him to chase, and he manages to lob it with the deftest touch over the keeper, when he looks for all the world to be off balance.

The headers against Fulham and Anderlecht.

The 'other' Chelsea semi-final goal. That was so audacious, so quick.

Seven years on and I still don't know which was his preferred foot. He took corners with both!
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: January 14, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »
I'll remember Leverkusen, Chelsea (CL & FA Cup), header against Anderlecht, playing on and scoring in the Merseyside derby when he could barely run and we'd already used up our subs, Didi and Warnock had come off injured if I remember correctly, last minute winner against Arsenal on Valentine's Day night and of course the wonder goal against Juventus.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: January 14, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »
That Chelsea goal in the FA Cup semi final was beautiful - it was sort of like the Juve goal in that he's on the right side of the goal, lets the ball go across him, and unleashes one with the outside of his left foot. As you say, world class stuff.

Brilliant scoring record for us by the end of his Liverpool career, and of course, some key goals in the run up to Cup finals.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: January 14, 2014, 04:43:42 pm »
Lovely bloke.All the best Luis

Offline gmcw9

• Main Stander
  • @g_mc9
« Reply #666 on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »
One of my favourite ever Liverpool players. Scored some magnificent and crucial goals. Pity his Anfield career ended as it did, was never the same player after that injury. YNWA King Luis.
25-05-05

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #667 on: January 14, 2014, 05:10:02 pm »
Loved him. He wasn't 'world class' but he was capable of things only the world class could manage. He had a wit and an imagination up there with Suarez, for me. Was he as good a player? No. But fucking hell, he was genuinely capable of the most unexpected things.

The goal away to Norwich at the back end of the 04-05 season. I think it was Gerrard who knocked a diagonal over the top for him to chase, and he manages to lob it with the deftest touch over the keeper, when he looks for all the world to be off balance.

The headers against Fulham and Anderlecht.

The 'other' Chelsea semi-final goal. That was so audacious, so quick.

Seven years on and I still don't know which was his preferred foot. He took corners with both!

Yeah that Norwich lob was great. Remember reading at the time that he used to think why score in routine fashion when the difficult will do! Scored a great goal at home to Charlton that season too.

The FA Cup Semi showed how speed of thought can beat speed of legs. When he broke clear he probably knew he'd be caught if he took it on further but backed himself to beat one of the best keepers in the world with a dipping volley from 25 yards. As you do. :D

Was he afflicted by injuries in his last season? He seemed to fall down the pecking order a little although he still scored a great goal at home to Villa amongst others.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: January 14, 2014, 05:23:23 pm »
We would still be on 4 European Cups without Luis. He was incredible in that campaign.

YNWA.

Offline Istanbulievable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: January 14, 2014, 05:33:42 pm »
Hero.

Miss him, miss his song. Will always have the fondest memories of him as it was a great time to be going the match and he scored some spectacular and vital goals.

Hope we see him at Anfield soon.

All the best Luis.

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: January 14, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »
Have a Happy Retirement Luis.

Offline Nut/ella

• do!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:23 pm »
Probably the best example for a Jekyll and Hyde type of player. Unbeatable on his day.

Loves the club with all his heart. Good luck Looooiiiisssss

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: January 14, 2014, 05:37:27 pm »
No, no. Thank you Luis.

Good luck with whatever comes next for you.

And hope to see you at Anfield soon.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #673 on: January 14, 2014, 05:43:00 pm »
Love the man to Death, absolutely love him. A gentleman and a true Red.

Happy Retirement Luis
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #674 on: January 14, 2014, 05:43:14 pm »
Good luck Luis - hero status forever assured.

..and it was in
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: January 14, 2014, 05:46:32 pm »
I imagine his song might get an outing in the second half if we're up against Villa on Saturday.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #676 on: January 14, 2014, 06:19:39 pm »
Hahaha. Good point about what is his natural foot from Juan. For some reason I always thought he was right footed but opted to control the ball and shoot most of the time with his left.

Oh well, little does it matter since he was like Nedved on that one. Equally adequate with both feet.

Wish him all the best and thank him for what he offered to us. CL run and not only that, with some memorable goals and moments.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #677 on: January 14, 2014, 06:23:18 pm »
Still got goosebumps from the reception he got at Anfield when he first came back with Atletico...

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #678 on: January 14, 2014, 06:35:15 pm »
Loved his goal when he came back for Carragher's testimonial - big daft smile on his face, big daft smiles on our faces - like old happy times :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSpmwEeq_qA?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TSpmwEeq_qA?fs=1</a>

He helped give us possibilities, no?

:)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #679 on: January 14, 2014, 06:36:04 pm »
Will never forget him.  Some unbelievable moments as a Liverpool fan were produced by Little Luis.  Class.