Author Topic: Everton 0-2 Liverpool, Post Match Chat  (Read 86339 times)

Offline VintageRed74

• or perhaps Vladimir or even Estragon. Best fiends with Maggie..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Everton 0-2 Liverpool, Post Match Chat
« Reply #760 on: September 28, 2008, 08:56:30 am »
What a weird derby that was, i cant recall ever seeing a derby as tame, we coasted to 3 points and deservedly so, comon u reds.
I never normally forget a face, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception.

Offline simmo

• D cup - Carragher's just a stopper, Gerrard's not a great player, Torres is a mercenary opportunist, Mascherano's not very good, Rafa's a clown... oh and Liverpool aren't a great club... opinion or wind-up?... you decide...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2008, 08:59:14 am »
looks like
Felliani played a good character in "saved by the bell" though .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:21:07 am by simmo »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #762 on: September 28, 2008, 09:02:14 am »
he played a good character in "saved by the bell" though .
thats also why he is highly rated!! :P

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: September 28, 2008, 09:05:10 am »
We were the better side. Very good that Torres scored, because I think he was losing his focus in the first half. He spent a lot of energy on the ref. Then he got everything served for the first. The second was just class. His third was even better. Shame it didn't count.
It's great that we have found our way right from the start this season. We're not playing at our best, so we can still improve. But we've beaten the Mancs and Everton and we're joint top of the league. It's looking good!

21 more wins to go for a title challenge...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #764 on: September 28, 2008, 09:07:09 am »
A boring game but we got the three points.

The Everton players didn't look motivated or interested to put up a good fight. We simply destroyed them without playing anywhere near our best.

If Everton don't play better than this then they will go down.
I always believe in our team, always.
Sheikh Mo will own the club very soon.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #765 on: September 28, 2008, 09:10:28 am »

The Everton players didn't look motivated or interested to put up a good fight. We simply destroyed them without playing anywhere near our best.

i didnt think it was boring at all, enjoyed seeing us run ragged over them, surely a confidence booster, and looking like we are picking up a bit of form

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
« Reply #766 on: September 28, 2008, 09:11:46 am »
MOTD highlights don't do justice to the one-sidedness of the game.  N'or to Kuyt.  I usually don't rate the guy but have to say yesterday he was excellent.  Including his first touch, which in my opinion is often his weakness.  Nothing negative to say about Kuyt yesterday. 

Where I think Rafa could change things is to have him on the bench for home games against the like of Stoke, where we need a bit of magic to open them up.  For all other games though the manager wants his type of performance re helping out the defence & tracking back etc.

Watching the replay now and people who don't think Kuyt shows compossure should take another look at his goal that got dissallowed cause it already crossed the line. Rolling a ball in the corner when it comes on the volley like that ain't easy. Shame it crossed the line.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:13:51 am by gollne »
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #767 on: September 28, 2008, 09:16:59 am »
After having watched a replay of the game, something i forgot to mention previously was the commitment that all our lads showed from the very start. They all looked hungry, all wanted the ball, all went into tackles hard and all were willing to bust a gut to run 50 yards in support.

I think a large part of our win came from us winning the mental battle... we made them think we were willing to do anything to win and i don't think they had the same willingness or hunger.
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #768 on: September 28, 2008, 09:17:38 am »

I don't think it was boring at all, just not as blood and thunder as previous derby games are, but that was down to them not us. I thought we played some lovely one touch stuff at times and we looked calm and assured on the ball throughout. Much better then that hoof the ball football we where playing earlier on in the season. Damn even Carra was makin Alan Hansen type runs foward yesterday.

It was a very good and confident performance from our lads yesterday, but it was just a shame Nandos hattrick goal was chalked off. :(

I'm a very proud red today. :)

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #769 on: September 28, 2008, 09:18:42 am »
This Cahill red card thing annoys the hell out of me. Two feet off the ground, reckless challenge, straight red. Then we get the Lord justice Andy Gray handing down his judgement ("Not even a yellow for my beloved toffee!") on the spot.  Then all the other media outlets follow his line willy nilly without any attempt to apply the laws of the game or develop an opinion of their own (in ma day... barely makes contact... etc.)

The idea of such rules is to deter dangerous tackles that could potentially have much more serious outcomes. Unfortunately pundits only want to see red for tackles where a dangerous tackle has terrible consequences. Judement is passed without rationale or logic. Most irritating.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:22 am »
Love the way Kuyt and Torres handle the Arbeloa and Cahill situation.

Fucking sound people Kuyt calming him down and Torres gives Cahill a pat on the shoulder as Riley talks with Arby. Rolemodels.
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #771 on: September 28, 2008, 09:28:45 am »
I am not one of Kuyts biggest fans but he was superb today, and has been one of our best players so far this season.

Anyone who knows their footy, knows what he brings to a team.

Every player today played their part.
We won it 5 times........

Offline paulsi

• Kopite
« Reply #772 on: September 28, 2008, 09:29:40 am »
when cahill jumped 2 footed the ball was no where to be seen ,i said straight away it was a red .blue sat by me said he got sent off foe walking away ,knobhead
betfair refer and earn its simple free £20 each when you use this code  w4wvdxlph

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #773 on: September 28, 2008, 09:40:36 am »
Went to the game thought all our players were outstanding - good atmosphere and a good time had by all.

No suprise another shithouse ref disallows one of our goals for fuck all.

Also no suprise that there are some fuckwits on here ripping into Kuyt once again - and I bet the fuckers never even went to the fucking match.

Well, all the people I was with thought the whole team had a good game.

But I'm sure a bunch of people that saw 5 minutes of highlights on MOTD know fucking far more than us anyway.

And for those claiming they went and ripping into Kuyt - if you've just been to a Merseyside derby and as you're leaving - if all you're thinking about after a demolition of our main rivals is having a go at our players and not the manner of our brilliant victory - then you're just a cock.

Is right!

Some of our 'so called fans' astound me, they really do!  We've just taken the piss out of our biggest rivals, on their own ground, and all they can do is bleat about how shit some of our players are!!

Give it a fuckin rest!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #774 on: September 28, 2008, 09:43:39 am »
I am not one of Kuyts biggest fans but he was superb today, and has been one of our best players so far this season.

Anyone who knows their footy, knows what he brings to a team.

Every player today played their part.

He was directly involved in both goals. He freed up the space for Torres, the first, and got tackled with the ball ending up on a plate for Torres to score the second.
I always believe in our team, always.
Sheikh Mo will own the club very soon.

Offline jean paul

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #775 on: September 28, 2008, 09:45:55 am »
Just put my thoughts on it all here: http://jplfcramblings.blogspot.com

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #776 on: September 28, 2008, 09:48:09 am »
This Cahill red card thing annoys the hell out of me. Two feet off the ground, reckless challenge, straight red. Then we get the Lord justice Andy Gray handing down his judgement ("Not even a yellow for my beloved toffee!") on the spot.  Then all the other media outlets follow his line willy nilly without any attempt to apply the laws of the game or develop an opinion of their own (in ma day... barely makes contact... etc.)

The idea of such rules is to deter dangerous tackles that could potentially have much more serious outcomes. Unfortunately pundits only want to see red for tackles where a dangerous tackle has terrible consequences. Judement is passed without rationale or logic. Most irritating.

eduardo da silva anyone? perfect example of what can happen. definitely no doubt of it.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: September 28, 2008, 09:51:24 am »
He was directly involved in both goals. He freed up the space for Torres, the first, and got tackled with the ball ending up on a plate for Torres to score the second.

A typical Kuyt performance.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: September 28, 2008, 09:55:30 am »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: September 28, 2008, 10:02:27 am »
Seriously though, the more I see refs, the more I fucking hate the way they're clearly inept at dealing with football games. Today's decision was shite but of no consequence. Which can't be said for many decisions we've witnessed these last few seasons. Instead of this shite 'respect' campaign, more should be done on actually improving the way officials control the game rather than masking their incompetence with 'campaigns'. If the human element of a ref is the problem, bring in technology.

Refs have cost us two points and two legit goals this season. Refs just gave the Mancs a penalty that changed the game yesterday so possibly gifted them three points. FA brings in a respect campaign and the standard of referee-ing just deteriorates. Someone in the media ought to highlight this.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #780 on: September 28, 2008, 10:02:35 am »
Still smilin'
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #781 on: September 28, 2008, 10:09:26 am »
Unfortunately I missed the match. Can anyone help me out and let me know how many shots on target Everton had?
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline crouch

• Main Stander
    • Peter Bamuhigire
« Reply #782 on: September 28, 2008, 10:12:53 am »
Bring on City! If we can get ten points off the league champions, a tricky promoted side, our bitter blue shit rivals and the league's richest team, we can sure as hell win the league
Pride in our past, Faith in our Future

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #783 on: September 28, 2008, 10:14:12 am »
So Gerrard to hit his goal 100, which will be our 1000th in the Prem league.  What odds would you have had on that in 1999.

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #784 on: September 28, 2008, 10:14:50 am »
Unfortunately I missed the match. Can anyone help me out and let me know how many shots on target Everton had?

One shot by Saha which was narrowly off target, that's it all I can remember.
However, Cahill missed a possible tap in because he could not adjust his feet and the ball just rolled pass by him.
Fellaini and Yak should have done better from a low cross from Lecott, that chance went begging for a touch.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #785 on: September 28, 2008, 10:18:02 am »
Nice to see the fuckers stopped booing Torres after he smashed in the 2 goals. They never learn, do they?  ;D

People are always afraid of what's different and boy, did he make a difference.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Mr. Miyagi

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #786 on: September 28, 2008, 10:38:46 am »
I think Dirk Kuyt may possibly be the most underrated player in the Premiership, not only by rival fans but from some of our own (which is the really depressing part).

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: September 28, 2008, 10:40:15 am »
Everton had no shots on target.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #788 on: September 28, 2008, 10:42:17 am »
dossena put a great cross in for torres goal that was disallowed

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #789 on: September 28, 2008, 10:43:55 am »
So Gerrard to hit his goal 100, which will be our 1000th in the Prem league.  What odds would you have had on that in 1999.

Football didn't start in 1992 - so the 1,000th goal is just a fiction that I personally don't care about.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: September 28, 2008, 10:56:32 am »
Just taken Riley's report.

Cahill off for "serious foul play", and judging by the report he has NO chance of getting off which is just right!

Also Everton have been reported for throwing missiles at players and "unacceptable provocation of the Liverpool players", so hopefully they'll get some kind of fine!

Oh, and he was adamant Gary Neville was cautioned, not Phil Neville, he reiterated the fact on several occasions, so who am I to argue?

Offline jolabode

• Main Stander
« Reply #791 on: September 28, 2008, 10:58:20 am »
i thought dossena was good today as he was against stoke

kuyt does not give enough to the liverpool team in my view
i am honestly shocked that so many fans thought he had a good game today

robbie keane will score more goals and get more assits than kuyt this season!

Liverpool fans are known as one of the most knowledgeable but we have a few like u that makes the rest of us shake our heads.

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: September 28, 2008, 10:59:14 am »
Was amused to read these on one of the blueshyte forums earlier, (followed a link from this thread)

"Isn't that a suprise - Moyes' after match report focuses on a refereeing mistake and not the fact that we were absolute shite. Be a man and admit that it wasn't the ref's fault we lost today Moyes. "

1) That was never a sending off. Although it just wouldn't be a derby without an Everton player getting sent off.
2) Torres is a good player who finished while Cahill and Yakubu failed to.
3) We played alright (considering our start to the season), but they are a better side.

lets just face it were shit and were in a relegation battle, the game on sunday is crucial, if u cant beat newcastle who you gonna beat

We were beaten twice by a poor,poor Blackburn side. We struggled beyond belief against Stoke and Hull who are 2 crap sides and played one of the most negative derby games in living history. We have lost all of our home games and our football is shite. Add to that probably going out of Europe at the first hurdle and we have a crisis.

never mind this he never got backed bollocks in the tf market
he sent out today the wrong side
he played defensive at home in front of us and insulted us with the team selection (neville)
add to that the team looked uninterested and second best
it took a silly red card to spark us to life not the managers team talks
for me enoughs enough
sign or do one your the reason we got beat today david

The club needs a shakeup from top to bottom kenwright has been banging on about searching for investment '24/7'.....this fool has been searching for investment for the past 10 yrs!!!..since he was bragging on about the NTL deal being close. He's a liar and nothing but a con merchant..When the club DOES change ownership be it if its forced to due to Moyes resigning or whatever the reason, then perhaps new owners may look at the likes of bringing in a continental manager...bilic perhaps? or maybe the villareal coach, pelligrino.

imo moyes has done a wonderful job with barely any help off the board, however i too feel that maybe he needs a fresh challenge. he looks put out this year and i think things happened in the summer that may not be repairable. kenwright as always is to blame but moyes is taking the stick, he should leave us and join a club with ambition, same with one or two of our better players. we looked awful today and the players havent looked right all season, time for big sam me thinks. no better, probably a step or two down from moyes but at least he could work with peanuts for money and kick a few of them redshites in the process. by the way this aint knee jerk i have felt like this from the summer.
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #793 on: September 28, 2008, 10:59:17 am »
Everton had no shots on target.

So, just to confirm again, Everton had no shots on target?

:D
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #794 on: September 28, 2008, 11:01:45 am »
Went to the game thought all our players were outstanding - good atmosphere and a good time had by all.

No suprise another shithouse ref disallows one of our goals for fuck all.

Also no suprise that there are some fuckwits on here ripping into Kuyt once again - and I bet the fuckers never even went to the fucking match.

Well, all the people I was with thought the whole team had a good game.

But I'm sure a bunch of people that saw 5 minutes of highlights on MOTD know fucking far more than us anyway.

And for those claiming they went and ripping into Kuyt - if you've just been to a Merseyside derby and as you're leaving - if all you're thinking about after a demolition of our main rivals is having a go at our players and not the manner of our brilliant victory - then you're just a cock.
I did go to the match, absolutely loved it, got pissed in the Albert and town afterwards BUT didn't think Kuyt or Dossena were particularly great. Riera too went out of the game as it went on after a bright start.

I don't work on the basis, "we won so everyone was great or we lost so everyone was shit".

I repeat, Kuyt worked hard, kept possession reasonably well but when he got the chance to produce a quality telling final ball or cross it did not come.

He did get involved in the first goal by occupying their defender with a decent near post run that allowed Torres to run in behind but I'm sorry he was not great.

Dossena too was very nervy early doors. Keane had his best game without ever being a goal threat and Skrtel too was superb.

Alonso/Gerrard/Carra excellent also. Nando was a menace and won us the game.

The same problems remain in the team though, if it's not Gerrard or Torres scoring then who is it.

Chelsea broke the deadlock at Stoke with their right back, Deco did it at Wigan, Joe Cole v Pompey etc.

We draw 0-0 regularly because nobody else (Kuyt included as he is a regular starter inn the front 4) ever makes the difference.

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: September 28, 2008, 11:02:24 am »
So, just to confirm again, Everton had no shots on target?

:D

So Carra didn't block a shot on target, I imagined that?

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: September 28, 2008, 11:03:54 am »
So Carra didn't block a shot on target, I imagined that?

The whistle had been blown for a "foul" on Pepe hadn't it?

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: September 28, 2008, 11:05:21 am »
The whistle had been blown for a "foul" on Pepe hadn't it?

'Pepe didn't actually have a save to make' is probably a more accurate statement.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:14:49 am by DaveLFC »

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: September 28, 2008, 11:11:54 am »
Sorry if already posted

Clinical Torres kills off Everton
David Moyes keeps saying Everton are edging closer to the top four with each passing year but results keep insisting otherwise.

Liverpool won the 208th Merseyside derby more comfortably than the score might suggest, Fernando Torres's reliable finishing consigning Everton to a third successive home defeat in the league - they will enter October without picking up a single point at Goodison - and leaving Moyes still waiting to join Harry Catterick and Howard Kendall as the only Blue managers to win three times against the old enemy. The fact Rafa Benitez has already won six derbies in a shorter time shows the reality of Everton's position.

Results do not tell the whole story though and the feeling persists that Moyes has only himself to blame for not winning more games against big clubs. He left Louis Saha on the bench here at the start and sent out his team with five midfielders and Yakubu on his own up front, a strategy that looked more like an attempt to avoid defeat than secure victory, especially as the solo striker seemed unhappy in the role and wasted much of his limited service by flinging himself to the floor in search of free-kicks. Referee Mike Riley booked him for diving in the second half after he had beaten Martin Skrtel and got himself into a position where a shot at goal might have brought a better reward. All too predictably, Moyes decided to send Saha on when Everton went a goal down, but by the time the substitute took the field the home side had shipped another and the cause was lost.

Joe Royle used to say the ball was an optional extra for the first hour or so of a Merseyside derby and that the only chance of any football was when the fighting had stopped. Liverpool adopted exactly the sort of patient approach that was required, waiting until all the sound and fury had died down then picking Everton's pocket with two clinically taken goals in three minutes. The visitors hardly threatened Tim Howard's goal in the first half, yet once Torres struck Everton's confidence evaporated to the extent that Liverpool could have ended up winning by three or four. After failing to score since the opening day of the season Torres could have had a hat-trick, he had the ball in the net in the 68th minute as well but was recalled by a linesman.

'You really need to use your brain in these type of games' said Benitez. 'Of course passion is important in a derby, but you win with your brain and with your muscles as well.'

The day might have panned out differently for Everton had Tim Cahill accepted a close-range chance after 14 minutes. The Australian is normally deadly close to goal but could not adjust his feet quickly enough when a corner came straight through to him. The miss seemed to bother him and he completed an off-colour afternoon by collected a red card for catching Xabi Alonso after the ball had gone. It was not the most reckless of two-footed tackles, but Cahill did not do himself any favours by refusing to acknowledge Riley's whistle and by the time his manager had urged him to turn round it is possible the referee took a more severe view of his offence. By Merseyside derby standards of controversy this was pretty insipid stuff, particularly as it occurred when the result was beyond doubt.

A cutting edge as surgically precise as Torres allows them to do just that and Moyes must surely rethink the wisdom of aiming for goalless draws when up against such a lethal finisher. 'We wanted to be harder to beat than we have been,' Moyes said revealingly. 'But in the end Torres was clinical.' Indeed he was. He scored his first at the far post after Robbie Keane sent over a deep cross from the left, and an absurdly easy second minutes later when Phil Jagielka dispossessed Dirk Kuyt in the area and Everton stood around instead of clearing the loose ball.

Two goals, three minutes, game over. Everton were never going to come back, and all they managed before the end was a shot from Saha that missed and a chance for Yakubu that Marouane Fellaini, making a promising home debut in difficult circumstances, inadvertently deflected away from his team-mate.

By that stage the Liverpool fans in the Bullens Road stand were belting out 'You'll Never Walk Alone', while the home support attempted to drown them out with whistles. This is not a gulf that is being bridged. 'You could see the difference £100m can make,' Moyes said grimly. 'But whatever the cost I expect my teams to compete.'

THE FANS' PLAYER RATINGS AND VERDICT

Simon Paul, NSNO.co.uk

Very disappointing, especially after the first half, when we had the better chances - Cahill tried to be too clever with his, when he should have put his lace through the ball. After the break we tried to play more football, which was our downfall. Cahill should not have been sent off - as Moyes said, it wasn't even the worst tackle in the match and their guy went down as if he was shot. Gerrard was again trying to referee the match - I'm sure Riley was going to send Arbeloa off, but Gerrard had a quiet word and it was yellow. Saha looked lively when he came on and has a wicked shot, it was a shame he didn't start and it is disappointing to approach a home game with just one man up front. Yet again Liverpool could celebrate at Goodison, it's not nice - especially when they are sat next to you

The fan's player ratings Howard 6; Hibbert 7 (Saha , Yobo 8, Jagielka 9, Lescott 5; Arteta 7, Neville 7, Fellaini 6, Osman 6, Cahill 7; Yakubu 6

James Carroll, ShanklyGates.co.uk

It's not often we get a derby where we're so comfortably on top - I can't remember Everton having a meaningful shot on target. We absolutely dominated midfield, Alonso and Gerrard were awesome and the only doubt was creating chances. Torres has been a little off recently, the Everton fans were singing 'Who are yer?' at him - well they know now. What a finish for the first - and he was harshly denied a hat-trick. Their supporters started to leave after the second goal and were streaming out when Cahill got set off. Still no goal for Keane, but he works so hard and has had his best games against Man United and Everton, so no one is complaining.

The fan's player ratings Reina 6; Arbeloa 8, Carragher 8, Skrtel 9, Dossena 6; Kuyt 8, Alonso 9 (Lucas n/a), Gerrard 9, Riera 7 (Aurélio 6); Torres 9, Keane 8 (Pennant n/a)

Fernando Torres regains form

LIVERPOOL have never won the Premier League but in those distant days when they used to monopolise the old First Division they had the happy knack of claiming maximum points when not playing particularly well. They have got the habit back, and it augurs well for their prospects of making a genuine challenge for the title for the first time since 1997. The latest Merseyside derby — the 208th — will not linger long in the memory, neither team having played anywhere near their best, but two goals in the space of three second-half minutes from Fernando Torres gave Liverpool a deserved victory which took them back to the top of the table at lunchtime yesterday.

Everton have now lost each of their first three home games in the league. Tim Cahill’s red card after 80 minutes, for a bad foul on Xabi Alonso, had no effect on the outcome, and manager David Moyes has more serious matters than that unsigned contract to concern him. It worries him that Everton have been beaten four times already this season, and that a defence once renowned for its resilience has now gone 12 matches without keeping a clean sheet. The Everton manager said: “This is the same group of players, in the main, that finished fifth last season, and our performances aren’t matching that. It is my job to try to find that form again.”

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez was relieved that Torres, who rattled in 33 goals last season, is back in the groove, having previously failed to score since the opening-day victory over Sunderland. “His goals enable the team to play with confidence,” the Liverpool manager said. “Fernando thinks he can score even more than last season, but I’ll be happy if he gets 32.”

Derbies may be the biggest games in Everton’s calendar, but Liverpool have bigger fish to fry and are glad to get these local skirmishes out of the way without damage, either physical or arithmetical. It was not atypical when Cahill went through Alonso, whose minor ankle injury could have been a lot worse. Moyes felt the card should have been yellow, not red, but as the fragrant Mandy once said, he would, wouldn’t he?

Everton gave a debut to Marouane Fellaini, their £15m midfield recruit from Standard Liege, and the tall, 20-year-old Belgian made a sound if unspectacular start, passing the ball economically and performing his defensive duties diligently. To his relief, he will not come up against Alonso and Steven Gerrard every week.

There was also a home debut for Louis Saha, as a second-half substitute, but he also found it hard to make an impact. Of Fellaini, Moyes said: “I thought his early booking \ affected him, but for a 20-year-old boy coming into a team not playing at its best, I thought he did well. We should be helping him, rather than the other way around.”

Pepe Reina, in the Liverpool goal, was not called upon to make a single save, but it was Everton who should have taken the lead in the 15th minute when Mikel Arteta’s corner from the left was deflected to the far post, where Cahill, eight yards out, made a horrible hash of an inviting chance, miskicking wildly. Not long afterwards Fellaini had a shot cleared off the line by Jamie Carragher, whose heroics counted for nought when the referee indicated that Reina had been fouled into dropping the ball. That was the extent of it as far as Everton’s attacking threat was concerned.

Liverpool fashioned only one scoring opportunity in a prosaic first half, Phil Jagielka’s timely intervention balking Torres on the edge of the six-yard line. It was a different story, however, once the stalemate had been broken in the 59th minute — a feat accomplished when Robbie Keane did well to chase down a through-ball from Alonso and cut it back from the byline on the left for Torres to volley in from eight yards. Before Everton could steady themselves, it was 2-0 and game over, Torres shooting firmly past Tim Howard from 12 yards. The goal was hard on Jagielka, who had dispossessed Dirk Kuyt with a last-ditch tackle, only for the loose ball to run straight to Spain’s scorer extraordinaire. Torres had the ball in the net again, but the hat-trick strike was disallowed for an earlier foul by Kuyt on Joleon Lescott.

Gerrard might also have made it 3-0, from 25 yards, but was denied by Howard’s flying save, and Everton and their fans were glad to hear the final whistle. Ten minutes from the end, the small visiting contingent launched into some celebratory choruses of You’ll Never Walk Alone, and the disgruntled majority were too deflated to drown them out. Happy days for Liverpool, blue ones indeed for the other half of Merseyside.

EVERTON: Howard 6, Hibbert 6, (Saha 63min), Yobo 6, Jagielka 7, Lescott 6, Arteta 6, Cahill 5, Neville 5, Osman 5, Fellaini 6, Yakubu 5

LIVERPOOL: Reina 6, Arbeloa 6, (Pennant 86min), Carragher 7, Skrtel 6, Dossena 6, Kuyt 7, Gerrard 8, Alonso 7 (Lucas 86min), Riera 5 (Aurelio 67min), Keane 6, Torres 8 

Sunday Telegraph By Derick Allsop
Last Updated: 10:43PM BST 27 Sep 2008

Fernando Torres double strike highlights gulf in class in Merseyside derby
The symbolic divide of Stanley Park has rarely been wider. Liverpool made that short, parochial journey to demonstrate how far apart these two clubs now stand.

Two second-half goals by Fernando Torres confirmed the class distinction, but all over the pitch Liverpool’s players were a notch or more above their counterparts.

This was Everton’s third consecutive Premier League defeat at the hands of their neighbours and if they had grounds for complaints over their fate in the equivalent fixture last season, there can be no arguments this time.

Ironically, Everton had the first opportunity to draw blood and Tim Cahill’s miss signposted the course of the day for player and club. He was sent off by referee Mike Riley, the referee regarded as the “yellow peril” of the Premier League, for a foul on Xabi Alonso 10 minutes from the end, but by then Everton were doomed anyway.

David Moyes, the Everton manager, said: “I don’t think it was a sending-off and I don’t think anybody in the ground thought it was a sending-off. It warranted a yellow, not a red.’’

More worrying for Moyes must be the broader context of his team’s plight. They have lost all three home matches this term, are out of the Carling Cup and will be severely challenged to avoid elimination from the UEFA Cup later this week.Liverpool, in contrast, moved to the top of the table, if only temporarily, and retain a healthy interest in all other ventures, home and abroad.

They dominated possession in the first half without fashioning a genuine chance, their passing game simply exposing the limitations in Everton’s ranks. While Steven Gerrard and Alonso enjoyed the freedom of Goodison Park, Everton’s most creative player, Mikel Arteta, was shackled by his right-side role, unable to flex the full range of his talents.

Phil Jagielka, at least, was deployed in his natural role, in central defence, and for 58 minutes he, more than anyone in blue, contained the menace of Torres.

But then the Spaniard struck twice in three minutes and the contest was over. Only a mysterious “infringement” deprived the Spaniard of a hat-trick. His first goals since the opening day of the season fed an appetite to equal or better his tally of 33 last season.

“I wasn’t worried that I hadn’t scored for some games,’’ he said. ''I feel I can score as many but the important thing is first to stay at the top.”

His manager, Rafael Benitez, maintains he would settle for 32 from his compatriot and the consistent reproduction of the form that eventually suppressed Liverpool’s neighbours.

“In these games you have to play with passion and also with your brains,’’ Benitez said. ''We have confidence now and the team has a balance. We know we can do well.”

For Moyes these are anxious times. “The start to the season does worry me because it is the same group of players in the main that finished fifth last year,’’ he said. ''But the difference of £100 million showed out there.”

Despite Liverpool’s superiority, Everton ought to have been in front after 13 minutes. Arteta sent in a skidding cross but Cahill, normally a clinical finisher, fluffed the chance.

There was to be no reprieve for Everton when Robbie Keane clipped a cross from the left and Torres, arriving unchallenged, swept Liverpool ahead. The Spaniard doubled the advantage three minutes later. Keane was again involved and, although Jagielka barred Dirk Kuyt’s path to goal, the ball rolled conveniently for Torres, who duly dispatched it.

How the derby was won and lost
1 Fernando Torres managed to be the difference between the sides despite not playing particularly well and being effectively shackled by Phil Jagielka. That is what Rafael Benitez paid £24 million for – the best centre-forward in Europe.
2 The defensive weaknesses that have plagued Everton this season re-surfaced. The Everton of David Moyes was traditionally built on defensive solidity. That has evaporated in the early months – they have yet to keep a clean sheet.
3 Everton are not a side who can afford to squander the kind of chance that Tim Cahill missed in the first half but they did not deserve to lose him to a red card from Mike Riley. Of their other key midfielders neither Mikel Arteta nor Marouane Fellaini could drag the match back Everton’s way.

Independent on Sunday By Ian Herbert at Goodison Park
Sunday, 28 September 2008

Everton 0 Liverpool 2: Red-letter day for Torres but it's derby blues for Everton

Perhaps it was Fernando Torres's absence from last season's Goodison derby which led David Moyes to overlook him when asked before this game who he feared most in Liverpool's side. The Everton manager will not be making that mistake again. Three minutes and two touches of the ball were all it took for the Spaniard to condemn Moyes' side to further misery in this fixture and in this season.

Unacquainted with Goodison Park Torres might have been before yesterday, and perhaps still adjusting to life after the euphoria of Spain's glorious summer, but he does not tend to pass up the kind of opportunities which Everton handed him. Other managers will be paying heed too: Liverpool have progressed through much of their best six-game start to a Premier League campaign without a firing Torres, and their threat with him is untold.

Torres's opener, a free volley from five yards after Robbie Keane had controlled a Xabi Alonso ball which seemed just beyond him and chipped the ball over, and his second, a smoothly dispatched shot after Phil Jagielka's challenge on Dirk Kuyt saw the ball fall into his path, were his response to the kind of defensive gifts which were redolent of what Moyes' side have provided all season. "We can go on and win the League," Torres said last night. "And I believe I can go on and score more than I got last season." His manager is inclined to agree – on the last point, at least. "It is possible," Benitez said. "He has confidence, everything. We want to see the team winning, and if he scores 33 I will be pleased too."

The individual who left a less pleasing imprint on the game than Torres was the referee, Mike Riley, whose decision to send Tim Cahill from the field in the 79th minute – the 17th red card in 33 Merseyside derbies – was questionable. Cahill, perhaps incensed by Alvaro Arbeloa's scything tackle on him three minutes earlier, allowed his following leg to fell Alonso after a tackle, but even the Spaniard was unconvinced by Riley's decision. "Xabi said it [the challenge] could have been worse for him," Benitez said.

The six yellow cards Riley issued did not reflect a game in which tempers only periodically flared, but the one he issued to Torres, for his second piece of dissent, was fateful. It triggered a response in the 24-year-old, and within 10 minutes he had scored. An Everton defence which had looked resolute enough until then – Jagielka was a colossus throughout – then looked as if it was about to implode.

Kuyt had the ball in the net minutes after Torres's second but was adjudged to have fouled Joleon Lescott. Then Torres dispatched an angular right- foot volley, but he was adjudged to have handled the ball as he took down Andrea Dossena's cross. It denied Torres the first hat-trick in the fixture since Ian Rush's 24 years ago, as did Jagielka when, after Torres had spun past Cahill and shaped to cut inside him, the defender beat the ball away with an immaculate challenge.

No matter. The comprehensive way Liverpool were dismembering Everton made grim viewing as the visitors raced to their seventh win in nine at Goodison, and Benitez's dance across the pitch at the end – not a familiar spectacle – said everything about what he think it means.

Moyes had asked his side's fans "to be mindful that obscenities directed at opposition players can often spur them on", and none of the bile directedat Steven Gerrard last season was heard, but Liverpool chants of "going down" hurt at a ground where Everton have still not won all season. "Our start does worry me because it's the same group of players in the main that finished fifth last year, but our performances have not matched that," Moyes said.

Liverpool's threat was evident from the start as Keane, who showed good movement, and Albert Riera laid siege to the left flank. Riera eventually managed to round Tony Hibbert and cross, but Torres was not allowed to get a shot in. When Torres returned the compliment, Riera fired over.

Everton might have started as the team with less self-control – Marouane Fellaini was booked for hacking at Arbeloa after eight minutes – but they gradually halted the Liverpool rhythm and created the best opening before the break.

Mikel Arteta's 13th-minute corner somehow skidded across a packed penalty area and fell at the feet of Cahill, who characteristically ghosted in and uncharacteristically executed an air shot. Yakubu might have scored just after the break, too, if he had finished the job after drifting past Martin Skrtel instead of diving in search of a penalty. But defence was all Everton could offer. Pepe Reina did not have a shot to save
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:13:40 am by DaveLFC »

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: September 28, 2008, 11:13:49 am »
Ah, I see, so it never happend then. Thanks that would have driven me mad. So we can't talk about Nando's disallowed goal either then?

Point taken...