Author Topic: Albert Riera  (Read 339089 times)

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Albert Riera
« Reply #3240 on: April 12, 2009, 04:52:55 pm »
He played 19 minutes against United FFS!
Where are you getting this idea that he tore Brown to shreds?
That's bollocks...Riera was oustanding in the same game...man of the match.

He tore Brown to shreds. He beat him atleast twice coming in from the left, and put in an excellent cross once and he also created an absolute sitter for Kuyt.

And most importantly, he got the winning goal. Babel was the difference in that game.

You don't rate Riera.
We get the point...and you're entitled to that view.
But don't try to paint Babel as some sort of wing master.
He isn't, and never has been, a left winger, so why are you dwelling on it?

So why is Rafa playing him on the left? Why did Rafa buy him as a left winger?

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #3241 on: April 12, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »
He played 19 minutes against United FFS!
Where are you getting this idea that he tore Brown to shreds?
That's bollocks...Riera was oustanding in the same game...man of the match.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1753955/albert_rieras_first_game_for_liverpool/

Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #3242 on: April 12, 2009, 04:56:10 pm »
You'll be mincing your words come next season. Riera has the ability to skillfully take players on, get crosses in. He needs better stamina and fitness, which will happen after a full pre-season at Liverpool.
Reira has ability, but he's always been  inconsistent and always will be. what bothers me most is the lack of end product as measured by goals and assists
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3243 on: April 12, 2009, 04:56:23 pm »
Cisse is superior to both Riera and Babel, look at his stats when he was here..... And he played most games out wide as well...

Cisse was also playing as a striker that season. he got those 19 goals as a combination of both positions.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3244 on: April 12, 2009, 04:58:08 pm »
I wrote that in response to someone who said Riera consistently beats his man, when he doesn't, unless its a makeshift full back.

And this idea that Babel doesn't offer cohesion or good interlinking with teammates isn't true. Last year, he provided it very well when he got his solid run in the team when our 4-2-3-1 formation was gettign all the headlines. The Madrid game is also another example of him providing good cohesion and teamplay.

Fair enough. There's no stats to show who's best at this teamplay/cohesion (total passes/pass completion % maybe?) but from what I can see Riera seems to be executing these short midfield passes more, slowly building our attacks, but who knows.

I'm actually a big Babel fan and hope he has a big future at Liverpool (not necessarily at Rieras expense) but at times like this you just have to assume Rafa knows best. He has his vision for the team and he makes decisions to implement it. Whatever Rafa's doing seems to be working so if it means accepting his decisions blindly, I'm willing to do it until its obvious we're not progressing (which certainly isnt the case now)

hoonin

« Reply #3245 on: April 12, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »
Albert Riera, the man who according to a minority of 1:

* Doesnt beat defenders
* Doesnt score any goals
* Doesn't make any assists

Even youtube seems to disagree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGjwDPPvksY

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #3246 on: April 12, 2009, 05:07:51 pm »
He tore Brown to shreds. He beat him atleast twice coming in from the left, and put in an excellent cross once and he also created an absolute sitter for Kuyt.

And most importantly, he got the winning goal. Babel was the difference in that game.

So why is Rafa playing him on the left? Why did Rafa buy him as a left winger?

The only person who torn Wes Brown to shreds that day was Riera, who was outstanding on his debut.
By the time Babel came on Brown was fucking all over the place.
Babel was the difference? Complete bullshit
At least talk sense
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #3247 on: April 12, 2009, 05:09:13 pm »
At the game yesterday i thought Riera had a good game. He seemed to be hugging the touchline and beat his man a fair few times, especially in the first half. Watched Match of the Day and noticed Motson slagging him off a bit. Wierd cos i honestly did think he had a good game.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

hoonin

« Reply #3248 on: April 12, 2009, 05:11:20 pm »
That was quick.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3249 on: April 12, 2009, 05:15:54 pm »

* Doesnt beat defenders
* Doesnt score any goals

Riera's always had the confidence to take on a player- something that can't be said for Babel- whenever he tries it's almost always half-arsed. That video shows it... another thing, was it directed by Michael Bay that clip  ???
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

hoonin

« Reply #3250 on: April 12, 2009, 05:23:33 pm »
That video shows it... another thing, was it directed by Michael Bay that clip  ???

Last post on this from me as its going round in circles - Riera is not perfect, but some of the comments today in here are pure revisionism, hence the quick youtube clip to show what we all know he can do.

No doubt we'd *all* be happier if the consistency of final ball improved. Same for Ryan Babel.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3251 on: April 12, 2009, 05:23:43 pm »

* Doesnt beat defenders
* Doesnt score any goals

That video was posted in December 2008. Riera started of the season really strongly, no doubt, but since 2009, he has been wank. he is living of his good start.

He only has 5 goals this season. That is half of what babel got last season.  He has 2 assists. that is a third of what babel had last season. Babel on form is far more productive than Riera on form. Babel off form, is as productive as Riera on form.

I could post a video of Ryan Babel from youtube making him look like a world beater.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:25:19 pm by LFC_4_life »

hoonin

« Reply #3252 on: April 12, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »
You really dont get it do you? You've turned it into a "Riera Shite, Babel Ace" topic whilst every one else seems to have taken a balanced view that both have obvious flaws.