Author Topic: Car & mechanics advice thread  (Read 87058 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Car & mechanics advice thread
« Reply #360 on: November 24, 2018, 11:52:01 am »
Right.
 he’s obviously asked what the mileage is on the car as a means to evade the warranty and he’s got lucky in that I’m a rare case of someone who drives to work 90 miles a day.
:lmao
That fucking creased me over, genuinely the best chuckle I've had for weeks.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #361 on: November 24, 2018, 11:53:17 am »
Not trying to blackmail anyone...

Looks like it doesn’t matter anyway as having dug a little deeper the car was sold with an outstanding recall, which is illegal, and can result in a fine of up to 2.5k, so I’ll get him to pay for the repair or I’ll report him for selling a car illegally.

Happy fucking days

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: November 24, 2018, 11:54:54 am »
Of course it isn't, it's impossible for the dealer to prove there was no fault. He's offered a goodwill gesture, that's about as much as you're going to get after ragging the car for 5000 miles.
This is getting fucking bizarre now  ;D

Do you think I’m making it up? This is taken from th AA website;

Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.

It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #363 on: November 24, 2018, 11:59:40 am »
Do you think I’m making it up? This is taken from th AA website;

Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.

It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.

So by that if I buy a car and put 200,000 miles on it within 6 months I can claim any faults existed at time of purchase.

Nah not having that. The use after purchase will 100% be taken into account if you took this to court.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #364 on: November 24, 2018, 12:03:03 pm »
So by that if I buy a car and put 200,000 miles on it within 6 months I can claim any faults existed at time of purchase.

Nah not having that. The use after purchase will 100% be taken into account if you took this to court.

I assume this chain going makes the car undriveable, so pretty sure the fact he's driven another 5000 miles first before it went is pretty undisputable proof that a fault didn't exist at sale :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: November 24, 2018, 12:03:30 pm »

I’m not trying to convince you, you don’t agree one. I’ll revert here when I see how i get on.  If you want to argue in the face of legislation then fine.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #366 on: November 24, 2018, 12:04:06 pm »
I assume this chain going makes the car undriveable, so pretty sure the fact he's driven another 5000 miles first before it went is pretty undisputable proof that a fault didn't exist at sale :D

Indeed.

And signs of it going are apparently loud banging and fairly obvious engine issues.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #367 on: November 24, 2018, 12:05:28 pm »
I’m not trying to convince you, you don’t agree one. I’ll revert here when I see how i get on.  If you want to argue in the face of legislation then fine.

The AA website is not legislation mate.

You’d hope a lawyer knew that and had the ability to read the legistlation directly and interpret the meaning.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: November 24, 2018, 12:34:14 pm »
The AA website is not legislation mate.

You’d hope a lawyer knew that and had the ability to read the legistlation directly and interpret the meaning.

I’m aware that the AA isn’t legislation but the point it’s making is contained within the legislation. Google it, the same point is made repeatedly. Whether you’re ‘having it’ or not is not of my concern. As I said I’ll see how I get on and I’ll revert to here when I do.

Just seen the custom title  ;D that made me laugh.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:35:57 pm by Jm55 »

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: November 24, 2018, 01:11:41 pm »
If you do go down the route of using the recall as leverage, make sure you ask for a cash settlement and get your parts and repair work done at another mechanic you trust.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: November 24, 2018, 01:46:39 pm »
A few things have been driven home to used car buyers in the past couple of days in here :-

Google is your friend - use it to research any car you want to buy, look for known faults and recalls. Learn what to ask and make sure you get confirmation from the dealer that any recalls or work have been done.

Buy a 12 month warranty.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: November 24, 2018, 02:10:22 pm »
A few things have been driven home to used car buyers in the past couple of days in here :-

Google is your friend - use it to research any car you want to buy, look for known faults and recalls. Learn what to ask and make sure you get confirmation from the dealer that any recalls or work have been done.

Buy a 12 month warranty.

All true and good advice but it irks me that the buyer should have to do this. It’s reasomable to expect someone selling a car to do these sorts of checks as standard, it would seem the law agrees as it’s an offence to sell a car with an outstanding recall on it and the onus is on the seller to prove a fault wasn’t there at the point of sale. For people saying you can rag a car for 200k miles within 6 months and claim the fault was there - not if the seller carries out a full service e as standard before sale, which is what I was promised would happen and if it had the likelihood is the chain gets replaced and this doesn’t happen.

It’s absolutely wise advice to be prudent when purchasing and I accept my failure there, it isn’t the right advice to say that sellers shouldn’t have to do your homework for you. They’re taking thousands of pounds off you and claiming a car is totally road worthy - yes they should have to.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: November 24, 2018, 02:15:59 pm »
The car was roadworthy though....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #373 on: November 24, 2018, 02:24:17 pm »
The chain doesn’t get checked and/or replaced on a standard service.

Plus you accepted the car without the service. You agreed to that.

Other than the recall you’ve got no leg to stand on.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: November 24, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »

Was.

What there is no evidence of is whether that chain was on the way out. What the law requires is proof that it wasn’t. There’s no requirement for the fault to have come to a head at the point of sale, just that it exists, or in this case that the seller can’t show that it didn’t.

I’m not repeating myself or going round in circles any longer, as I say I’ll get back when I have an update. The information is easily findable if people want to, and it will say exactly what I have said. Despite what people may want to believe I don’t make a habit of going on Internet forums making up laws and passing them off as fact.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #375 on: November 24, 2018, 02:38:31 pm »
I’d love you to point to the actual legistlation which backs you up.

All it appears you’ve read is something from the AA.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2018, 02:41:07 pm »
Until he screwed it to work and back......

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2018, 02:49:31 pm »
On the balance of probabilities I would say your case is weak, given that you have driven for 5000 miles since purchase.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »
Was.

What there is no evidence of is whether that chain was on the way out. What the law requires is proof that it wasn’t. There’s no requirement for the fault to have come to a head at the point of sale, just that it exists, or in this case that the seller can’t show that it didn’t.

I’m not repeating myself or going round in circles any longer, as I say I’ll get back when I have an update. The information is easily findable if people want to, and it will say exactly what I have said. Despite what people may want to believe I don’t make a habit of going on Internet forums making up laws and passing them off as fact.

Even the stuff you’ve posted yourself says it needs to prove that ‘the fault existed’  :D

‘It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.’

He doesn’t need to prove it wasn’t on its way out at all, going by that. Just that the fault didn’t exist, which it didn’t because you ragged it 5,000 miles first.

So again it goes back to you needing to try and blackmail the guy about the recall which is totally unrelated to your issue, as you don’t have a leg to stand on elsewhere.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2018, 03:56:05 pm »
Got a 1.7 litre diesel Zafira on a 10 plate. Done 76k. Last couple of weeks not long after starting it, feels like it has a loss of power and struggles  to get going (feels like something is pulling the car back). Either have to restart it or drop the clutch and try and get it to rev over 5000 rpm.

Normally after a couple of restarts it’s fine and drives normally. Any ideas as I haven’t got a clue about cars.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: November 24, 2018, 04:04:05 pm »
Dpf is blocked. Go to someone who is a dpf expert. Any attempt to go through the codes and other diagnostics will be a waste of money. They change everything and not fix the real issues which is most probably a blocked dpf.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2018, 04:20:56 pm »
You could try an Italian tune up - ie take it out and rag the tits off it in a lower gear and see if it clears the DPF.

Halfords do a DPF deep clean now - get that done and also ask for an oil and filter change, using the correct low ash oil.

https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/car-care/dpf-deep-clean
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:22:29 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #382 on: November 24, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »
Dpf is blocked. Go to someone who is a dpf expert. Any attempt to go through the codes and other diagnostics will be a waste of money. They change everything and not fix the real issues which is most probably a blocked dpf.

Cheers, but what’s a DPF and is it a pricey job to sort out?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: November 24, 2018, 05:00:51 pm »
Cheers, but what’s a DPF and is it a pricey job to sort out?

A DPF is a diesel particulate filter that is fitted in the exhaust. Its job is to catch the soot particles in the exhaust to keep emissions down. If you do a lot of short trips they can block up. A main dealer will charge at least £100, although you can get a replacement from Ebay for about £160 up to £500 for your car.

Regular runs on a motorway for about 20 to 30 mins helps to keep them clear. I try to take mine out and thrash it once a week.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: November 24, 2018, 06:14:33 pm »
Got a 1.7 litre diesel Zafira on a 10 plate. Done 76k. Last couple of weeks not long after starting it, feels like it has a loss of power and struggles  to get going (feels like something is pulling the car back). Either have to restart it or drop the clutch and try and get it to rev over 5000 rpm.

Normally after a couple of restarts it’s fine and drives normally. Any ideas as I haven’t got a clue about cars.

Take it back to the dealer. Tell him to prove the fault wasn't there when you bought it or you'll take him to court if he doesn't fix it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: November 24, 2018, 06:24:25 pm »
Take it back to the dealer. Tell him to prove the fault wasn't there when you bought it or you'll take him to court if he doesn't fix it.

My mates dads got a Mini Cooper in the garage which doesn’t run, it’s from the 80s I think. Might tell him to take it back to the place he bought it and tell the guy it’s up to him to prove there wasn’t a fault when he bought it.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: November 24, 2018, 06:29:47 pm »
My mates dads got a Mini Cooper in the garage which doesn’t run, it’s from the 80s I think. Might tell him to take it back to the place he bought it and tell the guy it’s up to him to prove there wasn’t a fault when he bought it.

He's got the AA handbook on his side. The dealer has no chance.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #387 on: November 24, 2018, 06:34:56 pm »
A DPF is a diesel particulate filter that is fitted in the exhaust. Its job is to catch the soot particles in the exhaust to keep emissions down. If you do a lot of short trips they can block up. A main dealer will charge at least £100, although you can get a replacement from Ebay for about £160 up to £500 for your car.

Regular runs on a motorway for about 20 to 30 mins helps to keep them clear. I try to take mine out and thrash it once a week.

Cheers mate. I work in Chester so do 60 miles a day on the M53 and M56 so it seees plenty of motorway action.

Thanks for the advice tho mate, appreciated.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: November 24, 2018, 07:08:19 pm »
He's got the AA handbook on his side. The dealer has no chance.

It’s got no tyres or a steering wheel like but I feel the burden is on the dealer to prove it didn’t come like that

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: November 24, 2018, 07:19:00 pm »
It’s got no tyres or a steering wheel like but I feel the burden is on the dealer to prove it didn’t come like that

Its got a wooden bonnet, wooden doors, wooden seats, wooden engine, wooden wheels and wooden tyres.

He took it back because it wooden go.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #390 on: November 24, 2018, 07:21:57 pm »
You could try an Italian tune up - ie take it out and rag the tits off it in a lower gear and see if it clears the DPF.

Halfords do a DPF deep clean now - get that done and also ask for an oil and filter change, using the correct low ash oil.

https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/car-care/dpf-deep-clean
had this once with an avensis. Both ght the cleaner from Halfords. 50 miles of motorway driving and a few big revs finally blew everything out.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #391 on: November 24, 2018, 07:44:01 pm »
had this once with an avensis. Both ght the cleaner from Halfords. 50 miles of motorway driving and a few big revs finally blew everything out.

You think you've had problems? Try this for some classic diesel clearing of the clag ...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UEwg4iRcf60" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UEwg4iRcf60</a>

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: November 24, 2018, 11:37:22 pm »
Spoke with the dealer this afternoon.

He’s paying the entire cost of the repair.
That's a remarkable turn of events in a few short hours, we're all delighted for you :)

What's the dealership? a pm will do fine.

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
Car key stuck in ignition
« Reply #393 on: November 25, 2018, 09:00:04 am »
Wife drives a Suzuki Alto, she gets home last night and we can’t get the key out of the ignition. We can still turn it to switch engine on and off but just can’t remove the key. Any ideas?

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
Re: Car key stuck in ignition
« Reply #394 on: November 25, 2018, 09:03:02 am »
Jiggle it whilest the turning the steeering wheel
YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Car key stuck in ignition
« Reply #396 on: November 25, 2018, 09:04:44 am »
Drive it to the dealer and tell them you want a new car unless they can prove it wasn’t like that when you bo.....

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: November 25, 2018, 09:08:19 am »
At around 3 pm yesterday, I knew he would come on and tell us the outcome has worked in his favour. Funny that isn't it.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #398 on: November 25, 2018, 09:09:33 am »
At around 3 pm yesterday, I knew he would come on and tell us the outcome has worked in his favour. Funny that isn't it.

Inevitable. He ghost lawyered him.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: November 25, 2018, 09:13:31 am »
Bit like the other lad who told that story about his wife going into Sports Direct to try and rob them, I find it hard to not believe a story where you make yourself look a bit of a twat regardless of how unbelievable the version of events is :D

Should definitely be leaving positive feedback for the garage