Author Topic: John Arne Riise signs for Roma  (Read 66727 times)

Offline Jockies Car

• RAOTL TWAOTL
  • Kopite
Re: John Arne Riise signs for Roma
« Reply #440 on: June 19, 2008, 04:57:10 pm »
I'm just at a loss as to why you persist in having a go at the lad?

He served the club well in his time at Anfield.

It's obvious you didn't think much of Riise who you say has 'done more harm than good'
which I think is a complete misnomer
but he's gone now, you've got your wish, why not let just let it lie?

Most Reds just want to wish him well in his future with his new club which is the decent thing to
do for a man who gave his all for the club when he played and who has contributed to some of our
greatest moments in recent years.

Thats just it though. He DIDN'T give his all for the club, especially over the last two seasons. He was sooooooo lazy. Sure he'd have a run up the left flank, but then amble back, leaving massive gaps, he ALWAYS took the shot on, no matter how stupid or no matter how good a position one of his team mates had got themselves into. The right foot thing. 7 years, 7 to at least practice, work on his weakness, and he never bothered. 

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #441 on: June 19, 2008, 05:01:31 pm »
Thats just it though. He DIDN'T give his all for the club, especially over the last two seasons. He was sooooooo lazy. Sure he'd have a run up the left flank, but then amble back, leaving massive gaps, he ALWAYS took the shot on, no matter how stupid or no matter how good a position one of his team mates had got themselves into. The right foot thing. 7 years, 7 to at least practice, work on his weakness, and he never bothered. 

I agree, he certainly wasn't on top of his game over the last two seasons when he also lost his place to Aurelio / Arbeloa
but my point was you are having a go at people who only wish to say good luck to the lad.

Regardless of the CL own goal or anything else he will always be remembered as one of the heroes of Istanbul,
and for his other memorable moments like his goal v the mancs, at the nou camp, etc etc.

Give the lad credit where it's due, he's gone now, the past is the past, good luck to him.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #442 on: June 19, 2008, 05:03:13 pm »
Ha ha we'll be fine with Aurelio and Dossena.

Not from what i have seen of both these players. Admittadly i havent seen much of Dossena and the games i have seen i barely noticed him. Aurelio is poor. Dont think anyone can argue that really. Compare him to the likes of Evra, clichy, etc and thats obvious.
Something quaint and witty.

Offline azer

• Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #443 on: June 19, 2008, 05:04:44 pm »
Bottom line with Riise, he did more good than bad.
He played the way he was asked to play.
He was the most consistant left back in the PL over the last 7 years.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: June 19, 2008, 05:05:33 pm »
Aurelio is poor. Dont think anyone can argue that really.  and thats obvious.

Er what?

Is this fishing day and I haven't been informed or something?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline reeferjnr

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #445 on: June 19, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »
I cant believe some people consider him to be a legend?? Thats taking it too far! He had some excellent moments in a red shirt - you won't find one person that denies that but over the last two years he has been poor to say the least, and thats in pretty much all areas of his game!! Simply not good enough!

If serving up mediocre shite on a weekly basis grants you legendary status then Captain Birdseye deserves to be up there with the best in fine cuisine!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:11:06 pm by reeferjnr »

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #446 on: June 19, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »
I'm glad we've sold him but am strangely still a little sad to see him go, all the very best John in your new venture.

Offline Jockies Car

• RAOTL TWAOTL
  • Kopite
« Reply #447 on: June 19, 2008, 05:08:11 pm »

you fucking what???????

Hahaha. Consistantly shite.

I think even Silvestre would take issue with that and he is gash! Jesus, Ashley Cole? He is an utter c*nt but I'd have him in the team ahead of Riise anyday.

Offline Le Terrible

• GAJAJ AlbertStubbinsGU
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2008, 05:12:42 pm »
Well said, Jockies Scar lad!

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #449 on: June 19, 2008, 05:14:49 pm »

You're basing your judgements on those final 2 years and you have a problem with those who are considering the totality of his time at Liverpool. Are you consistent with this approach? Is Fowler a c*nt because he had a poor final season, Henchoz a c*nt because by the end he was a liability? Whilst a player is at the club his current form is all important because it impacts on the team for the next game. Once he's gone however its academic and you can look at his career as a whole.

Do his latter poor performances erase his previous contributions?  He was here for 7 years and will be judged on the totality, not the last two.  Lets face it JAR wouldn't have played as many times as he did if Aurelio could stay fit for more than 5 minutes, he had the crowd on his back every game at Anfield and must've known the manager had lost faith in him.  He was a limited player and it was past time he left. No argument there.

I don't think that's the entire story, to an extent he's been hung out to dry by the lack of anything decent in front of him, we've had nothing decent on the left wing for a long time and many a time Riise has had no options to pass to making a hoof inevitable. At which point everyone moans, but few seem to realise the lack of movement and showing for the ball which caused the situation in the first place.

This is all history now as is Riise. You have the choice to remember the last couple of poor seasons or the totality of his career with the club. Others have that choice as well however and even if you've discounted every good thing he achieved whilst at Liverpool others have longer memories and a more balanced outlook.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: June 19, 2008, 05:17:21 pm »
Not from what i have seen of both these players. Admittadly i havent seen much of Dossena and the games i have seen i barely noticed him. Aurelio is poor. Dont think anyone can argue that really. Compare him to the likes of Evra, clichy, etc and thats obvious.

Ha ha I think anybody can argue with it because it's fucking rubbish. He was one of our best players the last few months of the season - and his injury against Chelsea was the beginning of the end of our CL hopes. Aurelio is a class footballer with a bad injury record, when he is fit he has played well for us and Rafa rates him much higher than JAR.

But now your hero has left I understand you must be hurting, and our Brazilian gem Fabio must be an easy target.

:lmao

I think a few players might have something to say about that, Ashley Cole being the most obvious.

You are clearly a terrible judge of a player.

Offline goldman132

• Kemlynite
« Reply #451 on: June 19, 2008, 05:22:03 pm »
He was a great player for us, funny how people forget. Just because he scored an own goal so what?,it could have been anyone. Gerrard,Carragher and countless others have done it in the past its just this match happened to be huge  :P

Offline Hong Kong Phewy

• Main Stander
  • Athens day out
« Reply #452 on: June 19, 2008, 05:22:40 pm »
Sorry, that diving header against Chelsea did it for me and that is what he will be  remembered for then trying to swap shirts. I am not a Manic but Roy Keene would have punched his lights out!!!!!

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #453 on: June 19, 2008, 05:25:15 pm »
:lmao azer
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline azer

• Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #454 on: June 19, 2008, 05:25:41 pm »

But now your hero has left I understand you must be hurting, and our Brazilian gem Fabio must be an easy target.

I think a few players might have something to say about that, Ashley Cole being the most obvious.

You are clearly a terrible judge of a player.

Aurelio will be an easy target for opposing teams. But i dont care about that one, i'll be proved right on that if he starts at left back next season.

As for Riise's consistency.....How short peoples memories are. He was part of a back 4 over the last 7 years that was the best in the country consistently. Add to that his ability to score regularly and compare that to cole and silvestre..... the facts are there fellas, dont let your inept memories blind you.

Offline Le Terrible

• GAJAJ AlbertStubbinsGU
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: June 19, 2008, 05:25:44 pm »
http://www.asroma.it/NewsDoc.aspx?Categoria=ITArchivioNews&Documento=9149

Looking forward to seeing him over here and cheering him. Shame on those of you who cheered him for years then turn on the guy, you fickle @@@@@@

Cheered him for years?  Many wanted shut of him the moment we saw him.  Get a grip will ya.  Riise epitomized everything that has been wrong with this club in recent years.  Everything.  The acceptable of mediocrity as expressed in this thread is disgraceful.   

Offline azer

• Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #456 on: June 19, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »
:lmao azer

we had the best defence in the country for a number of years running he was part of that and a scoring left back.....are people stupid and forgetful or just angry after "that" goal?

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #457 on: June 19, 2008, 05:29:29 pm »
we had the best defence in the country for a number of years running he was part of that and a scoring left back.....are people stupid and forgetful or just angry after "that" goal?

Anyone who thinks Riise has been the most consistant left back in the league for the past 7 years and is a better player than Aurelio is clearly a bit mad.

Offline azer

• Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #458 on: June 19, 2008, 05:29:54 pm »
Cheered him for years?  Many wanted shut of him the moment we saw him.  Get a grip will ya.  Riise epitomized everything that has been wrong with this club in recent years.  Everything.  The acceptable of mediocrity as expressed in this thread is disgraceful.  

yet we will happily settle for...ahem....arbeloa, aurelio, a right back who hasnt played in a few years and a left back who isnt an international.....

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2008, 05:30:56 pm »

That's not the point. At this moment, Riise is a very poor left back. And Aurelio is much, much superior to him. And so is Dossena.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: June 19, 2008, 05:31:31 pm »
yet we will happily settle for...ahem....arbeloa, aurelio, a right back who hasnt played in a few years and a left back who isnt an international.....

Haha
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline azer

• Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #461 on: June 19, 2008, 05:32:02 pm »
Anyone who thinks Riise has been the most consistant left back in the league for the past 7 years and is a better player than Aurelio is clearly a bit mad.

facts are there pal!
Even this season Aurelio has contributed little. gets caught on the ball, doesnt offer threat going forward.....I wont comment anymore on him but this season will see me proved right if he starts.

Offline azer

• Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #462 on: June 19, 2008, 05:33:02 pm »
That's not the point. At this moment, Riise is a very poor left back. And Aurelio is much, much superior to him. And so is Dossena.

agree with the first statement. Thats why i said its time for him to move on.
But aurelio and dossena havent proved that they are liverpool standard either!

Offline Le Terrible

• GAJAJ AlbertStubbinsGU
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: June 19, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »

I am responding to you, although there are plenty here who reference that goal.  Do you really think a Liverpool supporter would get angry about one mistake, however important a game it occurred in.  Of course not.  There has been a vocal anti Riise section for seven years because he was NEVER good enough.  And we haven't had the best defence.  For the best part of the last two decades we have goalkeepers who can't catch, full backs who can't pass or overlap and centre backs who whoof it as a first choice.  SO GET REAL WILL YA.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: June 19, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »
Aurelio will be an easy target for opposing teams. But i dont care about that one, i'll be proved right on that if he starts at left back next season.

As for Riise's consistency.....How short peoples memories are. He was part of a back 4 over the last 7 years that was the best in the country consistently. Add to that his ability to score regularly and compare that to cole and silvestre..... the facts are there fellas, dont let your inept memories blind you.

Errr... okay. Like Riise was you mean? With most of the goals we conceded in 2006-07 from crosses raining down from the flank he failed to protect?

Why do you need to wait until next season? Aurelio came back from injury this year and was superb from February onwards. Did you not watch the games? Did you not see his contribution against the likes of Inter and Arsenal, or his wonder goal versus Bolton? What is it about his game that you dislike? As a fan of Riise I imagine it's his composure on the ball, superb touch and control, vision, passing range and high technical ability.

He was often the weak link in an excellent back FIVE these past three years. He had a couple of great seasons when he arrived. Then in the last two years of Ged's reign he was terrible, and Houllier bombed him out the team. How short your memory is! Or maybe you're just stupid?

Rafa brought him back into the team, and he had a good spell in 2004-05, often at left midfield ahead of Traore. Rafa saw the opportunity to make the best use of his stamina and powerful shot and keep him away from where he could do harm to our defence - a clever move that saw JAR go on a goalscoring spree that Christmas and early January. In 2005-06 he had another good year, before a severe dip in form that has seen him become a squad player these past two years and displaced by both Arbeloa (a right back) and Aurelio (whenever he has been fit).

Your extremely poor judgement is compounded by an inept memory.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: June 19, 2008, 05:42:54 pm »
facts are there pal!
Even this season Aurelio has contributed little. gets caught on the ball, doesnt offer threat going forward.....I wont comment anymore on him but this season will see me proved right if he starts.

Seriously are you insane?

Before we continue with this nonsense and you embarass yourself any further, a little test.

Did you watch us play Arsenal at Anfield in the 2006-07 season? Yes or no.

Did you watch us play Inter Milan in Italy? Yes or no.

Did you watch us play Bolton at the Reebok stadium? Yes or no.

Offline Varun

• Anny Roader
« Reply #466 on: June 19, 2008, 05:43:08 pm »
  I can't help but think/hope you're on a bit of a wind-up with that comment, but this stands for anybody that might think along the lines of your post.
   JAR, has always displayed the type of character that over the years we want from a Liverpool player: Loyal, hardworking, a team player, proud, understanding and grateful of walking under that sign at every home game and of wearing the shirt.
   Maybe towards the end he didn't quite cut the level we want from him, but again, he never once put that shirt on his back without the aim of giving his absolute all in it.
    The lad was a red, one of us, and I for one think he should leave us with our thanks and our best wishes.

ps  Hello good people of RAWK  :wave

well fucking said lad.

Welcome to rawk :)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2008, 05:44:09 pm »
http://www.asroma.it/NewsDoc.aspx?Categoria=ITArchivioNews&Documento=9149

Looking forward to seeing him over here and cheering him. Shame on those of you who cheered him for years then turn on the guy, you fickle @@@@@@

Some on here just love a moan so take no notice.

Hope he does well for you mate.

Offline Rafa The Gaffer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2008, 06:15:09 pm »
Riise was a very good servant to the club. He contributed well over his time at the club. The problem with him was that he is good as a left back and left midfield, but not outstanding in either.

I wouldn't start with Riise in either of those positions in my strongest team, but he would be in the squad.

Riise has primarily been a left back, but yet Rafa prefered Djimi Traore over him in 2005 and played Riise more forward.

A jack of most left hand side trades but a master of none.

If we are strengthening the squad to challenge for the title, we can't afford to have these types of player at the club, therefore must buy players who are masters of the position Rafa wants them to play in.

Good servant. Wish him well. But his time has come. We need to strengthen, and his positions are the main weakness areas.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2008, 06:27:35 pm »
azer, Kaizer maybe? Definitely Norweigen anyway.

Incidentally, Kaizer over on YNWA.tv came out with the funniest reasons for keeping Riise i've read. Something about how terrible idea it was to be getting rid of one of the few players to have won a domestic league.

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #470 on: June 19, 2008, 06:29:34 pm »
:D

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: June 19, 2008, 06:31:57 pm »
  I can't help but think/hope you're on a bit of a wind-up with that comment, but this stands for anybody that might think along the lines of your post.
   JAR, has always displayed the type of character that over the years we want from a Liverpool player: Loyal, hardworking, a team player, proud, understanding and grateful of walking under that sign at every home game and of wearing the shirt.
   Maybe towards the end he didn't quite cut the level we want from him, but again, he never once put that shirt on his back without the aim of giving his absolute all in it.
    The lad was a red, one of us, and I for one think he should leave us with our thanks and our best wishes.

ps  Hello good people of RAWK  :wave

Well said and best of luck to Riise in the future.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Mother.F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: June 19, 2008, 06:35:07 pm »
Bye John, I'm going to try to focus on the good times you silly ginger squid, hope you do the same. With any luck you will find some success in Roma. And now you can rub Italian cream into your muscles.   :P

Offline Toxteth Ogrady

• Main Stander
« Reply #473 on: June 19, 2008, 06:42:25 pm »
Some embarrassing small time comments on here that wouldn't look out of place on a bitters forum.

I don't rate Riise, and I'm glad that he's going, but come on, he's no Diouf or Kewell is he? Whatever you think of his football abilities, he gave us seven years good service, was a model pro, and played an integral role in the Champions League win.

I wish him well.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #474 on: June 19, 2008, 06:56:36 pm »
He could have stayed too...........

...........if he'd been able to use his right foot, looked even remotely arsed once in a while, could defend, wasn't ginger..........

Was alright when he first showed up, went to crap, glad he's gone. Bye bye.

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #475 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:53 pm »

Before we continue with this nonsense and you embarass yourself any further, a little test.

3 games. That's a hell of alot.

Offline Djimi_Case

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #476 on: June 19, 2008, 07:35:02 pm »
Some embarrassing small time comments on here that wouldn't look out of place on a bitters forum.

I don't rate Riise, and I'm glad that he's going, but come on, he's no Diouf or Kewell is he? Whatever you think of his football abilities, he gave us seven years good service, was a model pro, and played an integral role in the Champions League win.

I wish him well.

Spot on.
We are Liverpool... tralalalala...

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #477 on: June 19, 2008, 07:43:42 pm »
What exactly did he achieve apart from Bankruptsy? As already mentioned, he was at fault for the two of the goals scored against us by Milan in Istanbul

Didn't think so then and having just double checked on you tube I can't see how you can blame him for either of Crespo's goals, or Maldini's. Please explain how he was at fault I'm anxious to hear?

and missed his pen

Miss did he? funny I saw it as an almost perfect penalty placed in the bottom corner that was SAVED. Different between a miss and having it saved, at least that's what I've always thought.

and got us knocked out of the Champions League a result of only having one foot at Anfield and failing to track back (again) at Chelsea. Fraud.

He was at fault here and he knows it but you can't place the entire blame of losing a two-leg semi on one single person. He's been out of form for about 18months plus now and that's why Rafa's selling. Fraud? Nah Not good enough for Liverpool? No, not anymore but that's not his fault.

Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #478 on: June 19, 2008, 07:49:23 pm »
I am responding to you, although there are plenty here who reference that goal.  Do you really think a Liverpool supporter would get angry about one mistake, however important a game it occurred in.  Of course not.  There has been a vocal anti Riise section for seven years because he was NEVER good enough.  And we haven't had the best defence.  For the best part of the last two decades we have goalkeepers who can't catch, full backs who can't pass or overlap and centre backs who whoof it as a first choice.  SO GET REAL WILL YA.

Out of interest is that the same vocal section who thought Carra was a pile of shite?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline azer

• Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #479 on: June 19, 2008, 08:19:21 pm »

Facts are there mate, 54 games 1 goal. constantly injured.
Dont know where you can get the stats for assists but i gaurentee he's got maybe 2-3 at the most.
As i said, facts are there.