Author Topic: Is this it, after the storm?  (Read 34159 times)

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
Re: Is this it, after the storm?
« Reply #120 on: July 8, 2008, 07:32:21 pm »
As i mentioned elsewhere, if you look at G&H's other teams, they brought them in the late 1990's, and still havent sold. I dont know where this idea of them selling the club in the next year or two came from, but its not been seen with their other spots investments.

Hicks did try to sell the Stars back in 2002. But guess what? He had no takers for what he was asking for. This is an article, ironically, from a Hicks "fan" from Houston who used to post earlier this year.

Last September Hicks announced that he would sell the Stars and his 50% interest in the American Airlines Center. But after apparently finding no takers at the right price, said to be around $250 million, he pulled the team off the market several months ago.

Just before he disclosed he would try to unload the Stars, sources said Hicks won a financial amendment from his banks to temporarily lower some of the loan's financial hurdles.

So he hasn't sold them yet, but he did try a few years back. So technically, you'd be correct.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2003/07/07/daily9.html
« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 07:34:01 pm by LiverBirdKop »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #121 on: July 8, 2008, 08:39:46 pm »
Hicks did try to sell the Stars back in 2002. But guess what? He had no takers for what he was asking for. This is an article, ironically, from a Hicks "fan" from Houston who used to post earlier this year.

So he hasn't sold them yet, but he did try a few years back. So technically, you'd be correct.

The article needs to be circulated widely. Poor performance, low attendance, inflated asking price........ If this is the Hicks way of running a 'franchise' that carrys the name of his home town, i dont even want to think about what he does with a club thousands of miles away......
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: July 8, 2008, 09:04:36 pm »
The article needs to be circulated widely. Poor performance, low attendance, inflated asking price........ If this is the Hicks way of running a 'franchise' that carrys the name of his home town, i dont even want to think about what he does with a club thousands of miles away......

Maybe that's the problem here. Most of us have read many many articles like this on this vampire, and mistakenly believe that every fan is aware of this man's past. We need to think again and start spreading the message more.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, July 7, 2003
Southwest Sports defaults on loanDallas Business Journal - by Daniel Kaplan

Tom Hicks' Southwest Sports Group, which owns the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars, is in default on $135 million of debt because of steeper than expected financial losses at the teams, four well-placed sources told Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal.

Southwest did make a principal payment last week but has been unable to meet internal financial requirements obligated under the loan from JPMorgan Chase.

Last year, the Rangers, reeling from poor performance on the field and at the gate, lost $35 million on a cash basis, and including interest costs, nearly $50 million, the sources said.

Most loans, in addition to requiring regularly scheduled interest and principal payments, also call on borrowers to maintain certain levels of financial performance, often measured through cash flow and revenue. It is here that Southwest Sports Group stumbled, signaling just how poorly Hicks' sports empire has fared financially and another sign of the ailing sports economy.

"The default is a technical default that has existed only since June 15 -- and is not a principal or interest (payment) default," said one of the sources, a person familiar with the situation who requested not to be identified. "Tom Hicks is in the process of refinancing that loan."

A spokesman for Hicks declined to comment, as did JPMorgan and Bank of America, one of the banks in the financial syndication of the $135 million loan.

Mitchell Ziets, a sports investment banker, said that Hicks' problems may not be unique. In cases where a sports entity suffers steep attendance drops while carrying a lot of debt, he said, more teams may run afoul of financial performance requirements.

When Hicks, who founded the leveraged buyout fund Hicks Muse Tate & Furst, bought the Stars in 1995 for $84 million, he envisioned it as the centerpiece of a Texas sports empire. In 1998, he bought the Rangers, the lease to The Ballpark at Arlington and 270 acres around it for $250 million.

The Rangers reached the playoffs in 1998 and 1999 but have been mired in last place ever since. The club signed shortstop Alex Rodriguez to an astonishing 10-year, $252 million contract in December 2000, the largest player deal in history.

Despite Rodriguez's star power, the Rangers fell fast in the attendance race, dropping 23% at the gate since he signed, while payroll rose 48% and was the fifth-highest in MLB heading into this season. This year, the team is aggressively trying to trim salaries and last week traded away outfielder Carl Everett and his $9.15 million annual salary, though the Rangers reportedly will offset some of that.

At the same time, the economics of pro hockey are reeling, with most teams bleeding money while a labor disturbance looks likely before the 2004-05 season.

Last September Hicks announced that he would sell the Stars and his 50% interest in the American Airlines Center. But after apparently finding no takers at the right price, said to be around $250 million, he pulled the team off the market several months ago.

Just before he disclosed he would try to unload the Stars, sources said Hicks won a financial amendment from his banks to temporarily lower some of the loan's financial hurdles.

That amendment expired June 15. With the Stars and their debt still sitting on Southwest Sports' balance sheet, the company went into default that day. Now the company will look to cure the default through the refinancing, and perhaps by aggressively slashing the Rangers' payroll. The Stars' payroll, ranked fourth in the NHL last season, could take a hit, too.

« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 09:08:09 pm by HarryLabrador »
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: July 8, 2008, 09:08:47 pm »
Can someone tell me what this is or am i just being thick?

no, your just the first to say so.....I have no idea, I was pretending not to be thick in the hope someone would ask and explain it to me too. oh. shit.
something about hicks taking seats away from fans to give them to corporate big spenders I think, but we await.

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: July 8, 2008, 09:24:29 pm »
Maybe that's the problem here. Most of us have read many many articles like this on this vampire, and mistakenly believe that every fan is aware of this man's past. We need to think again and start spreading the message more.

agreed. it occured to me recently that it might be well worth some fine research minded soul to look into Hicks' record back in the eighties and nineties..where he made all the money in the first place..if he was an LBO man during the 'greed is good' 'wall street the movie' period, then there will be a trail of ruined lives that he left behind him. the business model was hostile takeover, break up the assets, close down factories and communities, and sell the remains of the carcass ..... a norman tebbit and the miners deal.
and before he buys the club perhaps let moores and parry know his history....oh, too late.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: July 8, 2008, 09:26:23 pm »
no, your just the first to say so.....I have no idea, I was pretending not to be thick in the hope someone would ask and explain it to me too. oh. shit.
something about hicks taking seats away from fans to give them to corporate big spenders I think, but we await.

I didnt know either til i asked!

This is what the club are trying to replace with corporate seats:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/tickets/devassoc/
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 8, 2008, 09:28:46 pm »
agreed. it occured to me recently that it might be well worth some fine research minded soul to look into Hicks' record back in the eighties and nineties..where he made all the money in the first place..if he was an LBO man during the 'greed is good' 'wall street the movie' period, then there will be a trail of ruined lives that he left behind him. the business model was hostile takeover, break up the assets, close down factories and communities, and sell the remains of the carcass ..... a norman tebbit and the miners deal.
and before he buys the club perhaps let moores and parry know his history....oh, too late.

I would suggest handing out leaflets outside Anfield on match days with articles like this, unless theres a good reason it cant be done.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline dh21974

• Kemlynite
« Reply #127 on: July 8, 2008, 09:31:36 pm »
The idea is excactly that. Taking tickets from REAL supporters and selling them as corporate seats. I was told they want to increase the corporate seats from 5,000 to 10,000. Thats 5,000 less tickets for the like of you and me. The development assoc' is just the first thing to lose out. P.T.S cards are being targeted too along with supporters club allocations being cut by 50%. All this to show an increase in revenue. This might be to make the club look more attractive to any potetial bidders or to aquire more loans from the banks. Who knows? The one thing that is for sure the atmosphere will be shit. Look at Emirates stadium for an example. Half time comes and all the middle rows of seats all empty for the half time corporate hospitality. Some of them not even watching the second half. Don't know about you but I think the time has come for direct action against H+G.

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: July 8, 2008, 10:14:26 pm »
The idea is excactly that. Taking tickets from REAL supporters and selling them as corporate seats. I was told they want to increase the corporate seats from 5,000 to 10,000.

thanks for the clarification, now I can stop pretending not to look thick. 
west london, that suggestion belongs in the SOS ideas thread, ..good one.

Offline zimmy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #129 on: July 8, 2008, 10:24:46 pm »
The idea is excactly that. Taking tickets from REAL supporters and selling them as corporate seats. I was told they want to increase the corporate seats from 5,000 to 10,000. Thats 5,000 less tickets for the like of you and me. The development assoc' is just the first thing to lose out. P.T.S cards are being targeted too along with supporters club allocations being cut by 50%. All this to show an increase in revenue. This might be to make the club look more attractive to any potetial bidders or to aquire more loans from the banks. Who knows? The one thing that is for sure the atmosphere will be shit. Look at Emirates stadium for an example. Half time comes and all the middle rows of seats all empty for the half time corporate hospitality. Some of them not even watching the second half. Don't know about you but I think the time has come for direct action against H+G.

thanks for the update. you should really give this info direct to SOS.

Offline Grizzly

• Main Stander
« Reply #130 on: July 9, 2008, 03:14:44 am »
The debt is quastionable and dont want to go into a full debate on it, as i have done several times before, but simply put, apart from that Ł105m loaded on the club, which is split into Ł65m for stadium costs and Ł40m for transfers.  The other Ł245m is on kop holdings, which was used to refinance the Ł60m of debt already on the club, and the loan used for the takeover.  This Ł245m is supported by the onwers cash, letters of credit and personal guarentees.  So it would seem we are not in the situation that United are in, and if H&G defult of debt payements/interest payement, it will be on them to sort this out.  I understand any debt for the stadium will be put on the club, as that is apparently 'avoidable', but will be mostly payed of by naming rights etc. 

One thing a lot of people appear to have overlooked is the Ł64m inter-company loan between Kop and LFC. If they did default, LFC would have to repay this loan, as well as the Ł105m directly secured against the club. So the club's debt is really closer to Ł170m.

Interestingly, I believe that this is also roughly the amount of cash that G&H had to put in to secure the refinancing?

Whatever that Ł64m relates to (and the accounts don't appear to say), G&H's overall obligations on default would only be about Ł90m each (ignoring any interest accrued since the refinancing last January).

At least that's how I see it - maybe Tim or someone else can confirm.

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: July 9, 2008, 12:47:54 pm »
One thing a lot of people appear to have overlooked is the Ł64m inter-company loan between Kop and LFC. If they did default, LFC would have to repay this loan, as well as the Ł105m directly secured against the club. So the club's debt is really closer to Ł170m.

Interestingly, I believe that this is also roughly the amount of cash that G&H had to put in to secure the refinancing?

Whatever that Ł64m relates to (and the accounts don't appear to say), G&H's overall obligations on default would only be about Ł90m each (ignoring any interest accrued since the refinancing last January).

At least that's how I see it - maybe Tim or someone else can confirm.
Out of the Ł105m available to the club, only Ł14.4m had been drawndown by the club at the end of January.  The club had also received a loan of approx Ł64m from Kop Football Limited to refinance existing loans on the clubs balance sheet.  The majority of the Ł105m available to the club will not be drawndown until the stadium work starts.
;)

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #132 on: July 9, 2008, 02:49:57 pm »

What you mean like the accusations of cronyism and being investigated by the feds due to his Utimco dealings:

“In one case, Hicks insisted that UTIMCO increase by $10 million an investment commitment to a company in which he had an indirect financial interest. The staff halted full funding of the investment when it discovered the conflict.
UTIMCO's investments were made in closed-door, off-campus meetings - including one in Hicks' boardroom at the Ballpark in Arlington. Such meetings have caused state auditors to question the secrecy and potential for conflicts of interest.

The California Public Employees Retirement System was rocked by scandal last year over elected officials who serve on the CALPERS board receiving campaign contributions from people, including Hicks, who wanted investment contracts.

The FBI conducted an inconclusive investigation of Hicks after his investment banking firm won a $100 million investment from the CALPERS board over the objections of its staff. The recommendation to invest with Hicks came from an outside consultant who nine months later sold a yacht to Hicks for a $45,000 profit."

http://www.utwatch.org/oldnews/chron_utimco_3_21_99.html

“What nobody in Austin seemed to realize when Bush signed the UTIMCO bill was that unlike the Board of Regents, this new outfit would not be subject to state laws that man- date open meetings and public records. The regents had always taken advantage of loop-holes in those laws to shield their financial decisions behind a veil of privacy, but UTIMCO would be exempt from public scrutiny. The privatized corporation and its board would not even be listed in the official Texas State Directory. Nor would the non-regent appointees to the nine-member UTIMCO board be required to file personal financial disclosure documents like other appointees to state commissions and agencies.
In many respects, UTIMCO had been empowered to write its own rules, which suited Tom Hicks fine. After UTIMCO officially took over from the regents' investment committees in early 1996, with Hicks as its first chairman, all of its business was done behind closed doors. The directors often gathered for their monthly board meetings at the lavish offices of Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst in downtown Dallas rather than at UTIMCO's own more modest quarters in an Austin building named for Lady Bird Johnson. "It was a hell of a lot more convenient for all of us to meet there," Hicks noted. Largely freed from public accountability, UTIMCO embarked on a series of deals that raised serious questions about conflict of interest and political favoritism. Again, there was nothing unlawful about these decisions, all of which were vetted by the powerhouse law firm of Vinson & Elkins; they merely reflect the way business is often done behind closed doors-even, or especially, when the public's money is at stake. Friends and long-time associates of Thomas Hicks, and his firm's past and future business partners-as well as major Republican contributors and political supporters of the Bush family-received hundreds of millions of dollars from the University of Texas investment funds. In a certain sense, all this apparent favoritism was merely business as usual.”

……..

“But the University of Texas presented a special case because, unlike most public pension or University funds, the UTIMCO board was chaired by a powerful private investor who was making deals for his own firm at a frantic pace while simultaneously overseeing the investment of public money, often with his firm's putative competitors. It was an arrangement that existed nowhere else in the country, and it provided Tom Hicks with some remarkable advantages. Nothing could have been more useful to the chairman of Hicks, Muse than continuous access to confidential information concerning the other buyout firms, partnerships, and companies that approached UTIMCO seeking money. The otherwise unavailable details of who was involved in which deals and on what financial terms were provided to him routinely. And with that knowledge came the authority to award hundreds of millions in financing. The only real constraint on his power was the presence of the governor's other appointees to the Board of Regents. He had little reason to worry about them, however. Under his chairmanship of UTIMCO, nearly every vote on policy and asset management carried unanimously and rarely was any dissent heard. He also had considerable leverage over the senior staff that formally recommended investments to the board because, as chair of the board's compensation committee, he had raised their salaries by tens of thousands of dollars when they became employees of UTIMCO.”

http://www.utwatch.org/utimco/nativeson.html

Hicks was also involved in Viasytems which laid off workers then filed for bankruptcy in 2001.

“But the Chronicle can reveal he is a former chairman of Viasystems Group Inc, the parent company of Viasystems Tyneside Ltd which dumped 1,000 Geordies on the dole in 2001.
And to this day they have still not been paid their redundancy payments worth an average Ł27,000 each, with some payments running as high as Ł50,000.
Under a Viasystems redundancy scheme they should have received a set amount of money for every year they served with the company.
But workers have only ever received a statutory Government payout worth just 2p for every Ł1 they were owed.
Circuit board manufacturer Viasystems Tyneside Ltd went into administration in September 2001.”
……

“Mr Hicks co-founded and became chairman of investment firm Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst in 1989 which in turn founded Viasystems in 1996, with Mr Hicks on the board of directors.
In 2001 the investment firm, of which Tom Hick's was chairman, took majority control of Viasystems and in February 2002 Mr Hicks became chairman of the Viasystems Group.
He eventually retired from the board of Viasystems and the investment firm at the end of 2004.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/tm_headline=tycoon-returns&method=full&objectid=18588846&siteid=50081-name_page.html

Because of laying off staff they ran into trouble with the DTI about a public grant:

“Former trade secretary Stephen Byers may call on Viasystems to pay back Ł17m of government aid after the electronics giant announced 850 redundancies.
The Department of Trade and Industry is reported to be investigating the terms on which it gave the grant.
The money was designed to encourage investment in the North-east of England.
American-owned Viasystems received the cash over five years in a scheme aimed at creating jobs in areas of high unemployment.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1524366.stm

Workers marched in protest at this.

“On Saturday, October 6, over 400 redundant workers, family and friends marched from the Viasystems plant in South Shields to the South Shields Social and Labour Club for a meeting. They marched from the factory in Laygate, South Shields, which still retains 850 workers. It is reported that they are also due to be laid off by Christmas. The march and meeting was organised by the workers themselves to discuss their campaign against the job losses and plant closures. The workers also invited union organisers and the local MP who were due to attend the meeting later.
The receivers had announced the previous day that there were 17 expressions of interest in buying both the South Shields and North Tyneside factories and the workers discussed how this would affect their campaign. The workers called on the government to end the situation where companies like Viasystems can take advantage of huge grants and then pull out. It was revealed the day before in the North East Journal that the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) was prepared to take legal action if a Ł17 million grant given to boost employment on Tyneside was not paid back by one of two companies involved, the European PCB Group based in the Cayman Islands and the US electronics giant Viasystems Group Inc. It was reported that what is not clear is whether a guarantee that Viasystems Group Inc gave to the government in 1997 over paying back the grant if it closed down was transferred to European PCB Group (Cayman Islands) Ltd. These are the current owners who were responsible for calling in the receivers. Clearly the company had employed a technicality to get out of paying back the money and also make the government and taxpayer responsible for redundancy payments which, however, have not been paid. A spokeswoman for the DTI said: "We have written to both companies about recouping the grant. The structure of the company is extremely complicated and it is taking some time to work through but we are confident of getting the money back."
The situation has brought an angry but considered response from the workers that they must take matters into their own hands. They have faced divisive tactics from the company who have laid off workers at one plant and imported in redundant workers from another. Referring to the fact that the US owners have utilised the present crisis over the terrorist attacks on the US to announce the further closure of the South Shields plant, one worker referred to the "industrial terrorism" that has been carried out by companies like Viasystems”.

http://www.rcpbml.org.uk/ww2001/d01-175.htm#viasystems

To be fair it’s not clear who was chairman of Viasystems at the time because although Hicks became chairman in Feb 2002 the previous chairman had resigned in July 2001. Hicks had been on the board since Viasystems was founded though by HMFT.

“James Mills retired as chairman of Viasystem’s board of directors. Mills had retired from his post as Viasystems’ CEO in July 2001. Replacing Mills will be Thomas Hicks, a Viasystems board member and chairman of the board of Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst Incorporated.”

http://custerconsulting.com/Pages/publications/GlobalSMT/200204/gsmt0402.htm

Now it has been noted that the management of the time was European PCB not Viasystems which is what caused problems over who was responsible for the redundancy pay and repayment of the grant but EPCB was actually a subsidiary of Viasytems.

http://www.secinfo.com/durH7.v3.b.htm

And it seems that Viasystems were held liable as they were made to repay some monies to the DTI:

“In conjunction with the Companys pre-packaged plan of reorganization approved by
the Bankruptcy Court, a Ł12 million (approximately $18 million) loan guaranteed
by the Company was cancelled and in exchange the Department of Trade and
Industry (the DTI) received a note (the DTI Note) in an amount equal to Ł9
million. Interest on the DTI Note was payable semi-annually in cash on a current
basis at an annual interest rate of three percent for periods up to September
30, 2008 and at an annual interest rate equal to the Bank of England Base Rate
plus two percent for periods thereafter. Principal on the DTI Note was payable
from December 31, 2008 through December 31, 2010 (provided all amounts due and
owing under the 2003 Credit Agreement were not paid in full prior to October 1,
2008); provided, however, proceeds received by the DTI pursuant to the
liquidation of Viasystems Tyneside Limited (VTL) would reduce the outstanding
principal under the DTI Note. The outstanding balance of the DTI Note was $12.5
million at December 31, 2003. In May 2004, the DTI Note was discharged in full
as a result of proceeds received by the DTI from the liquidation of VTL,
resulting in a reversal of reorganization expenses of $9,798.”

http://sec.edgar-online.com/2005/05/12/0001011240-05-000045/Section8.asp

And just because I like it from a discussion in the House of Commons about the concerns of jobs in Scotland being moved to other areas of the UK:

“Viasystems was the final incarnation of the idea of a company that was indigenous, in the Borders, and built up from scratch over 30 years. When it was taken over by what I can only politely describe as a bunch of unscrupulous American corporate financiers, it was clear that they intended to close down the sites on the Borders, and to move both jobs and contracts to other parts of the United Kingdom.”
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199900/cmhansrd/vo991216/debtext/91216-23.htm

Viasystems was not the only thing to go wrong, from an article in 2003:

“Mr. Hicks is struggling to restore his and the firm's reputation after losing about $1 billion for his investors from minority stakes he took in six telecommunications and 13 Internet companies at the peak of the 1990's stock market bubble. ''We got sucked up in the vortex of the new economy,'' Mr. Hicks said in a recent interview.
That was hardly the firm's only misstep. Hicks, Muse's joint purchase, with Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Company, of Regal Cinemas also ended disastrously. Regal filed for bankruptcy in September 2001, costing the firm and its investors an additional $500 million. And Hicks, Muse has risked $1 billion on media companies in Argentina, which has been in a recession for four years.
Then there is the Viasystems Group, an electronics equipment maker Hicks, Muse controls that filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last October.
Still, a chastened Mr. Hicks, who will turn 57 next month, says that he and his firm will restore its reputation now that he has refocused the firm on what it does best: buying companies at reasonable prices and expanding them to increase profits -- what he calls his ''buy and build'' strategy. The feeble economy is offering opportunities not seen in a decade, and many troubled companies are eager to discard parts of their businesses.
If only things were that simple.”

……

''We all collectively take guilt for bad decisions, Mr. Hicks said. He added that his firm last year let go 15 percent of its staff over all.
But Mr. Hicks is adamant that he, and his firm, will be around for many years to come. He personally plans to stick around at least until age 65, he said, or another eight years.
''This firm,'' Mr. Hicks said, ''is my legacy.''

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9402EFDE1739F935A15752C0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=3

He only lasted another year at his legacy though, he resigned in March 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hicks

Currently there is trouble at Latrobe Speciality Steel of which Hicks Holdings is the controlling stockholder.

http://sec.edgar-online.com/2008/03/31/0001047469-08-003824/Section20.asp

In January the company received a public grant for expansion:

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2008/01/21/daily17.html

But on May 1st workers went on strike and were subsequently locked out and temp agency staff were brought in:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/westmoreland/s_573523.html

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/westmoreland/16160137/detail.html

Workers are now going public about their dispute:

“Steelworkers at Latrobe Specialty Steel Co., who have been off the job in a labor dispute since May 1, are kicking off high-profile initiatives this week with a billboard along Route 30 in Unity and 1,000 yard signs in an effort to end the two-month lockout of union workers and return to the bargaining table, the union said Tuesday.”

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/search/s_576621.html

Here’s what their union has to say:

http://www.uswlocal1537.org/lss.html

The Latrobe forum is pretty good too. Just like Rawk there’s an argument raging between two sides though there it’s pro/anti union, here it’s pro/anti G&H.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/latrobe-pa

I have to say though that the strikers are in dispute with the company rather than the stockholders so I suppose the connection with Hicks is a little soft but according to the strikers production is down so it’s nice to know he’s being affected anyway.  ;D

There’s other things too in his background but I haven’t looked too deeply into those. Now there’s probably something murky in every successful company or billionaire’s background, so it’s not really surprising that he’s not lily-white but there does seem to be an awful lot of murkiness for Hicks.

Please note, yes I know that some of these websites are obviously biased so make your own judgements and believe whatever you want to.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: July 9, 2008, 02:54:13 pm »
Excellent research RedJam70. :wellin  Just need to spend some time to look through all of them.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #134 on: July 9, 2008, 06:13:21 pm »
Excellent research RedJam70. :wellin  Just need to spend some time to look through all of them.

Leaving aside all the other negatives since the takeover, his track record alone prior to this is a disaster.

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #135 on: July 9, 2008, 06:30:48 pm »
Leaving aside all the other negatives since the takeover, his track record alone prior to this is a disaster.

[4pool] It's an excellent fantastic record [/4pool]
I always believe in our team, always.
Sheikh Mo will own the club very soon.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: July 9, 2008, 09:28:56 pm »

Any updates mate?  Via PM..

Offline zimmy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #137 on: July 9, 2008, 10:38:48 pm »

congratulations redjam, brilliant piece of work

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 9, 2008, 10:44:24 pm »
;)
So Grizzly was right; in addition to the 105m owed directly to the banks, LFC will also owe another 64m to KOP. Sure the whole 105 hadn't been drawn down yet by teh end of January, but it will be once the birdies fly their nests if claims coming from G&H and their stooges are to be believed...

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 9, 2008, 10:45:07 pm »
Wow redjam. A lot to read there! Good digging :)

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #140 on: July 9, 2008, 11:47:15 pm »
Ta very much everyone.  :D

In one of the articles I posted before it mentions Regal Cinema's going bust, I've not seen that before so I might do a bit of digging there when I have time next. Also I want to get to the bottom of Pan American Sports Network, which was set up in South America at about the same time as the Corinthians mess. It's a bit confused but it seems it bought the rights to screen a sporting event but couldn't pay up in the end, had to be bailed out by it's parent company Clear Channel that Hicks owned with his brother before filing for bankruptcy. By my reckoning then that's 3 companies that have filed for bankruptcy under Hicks, though he's always been alright. Wonderful eh, just fills you with confidence about him.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2008, 11:49:55 pm by RedJam70 »

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2008, 11:08:02 am »

In one of the articles I posted before it mentions Regal Cinema's going bust, I've not seen that before so I might do a bit of digging there when I have time next. Also I want to get to the bottom of Pan American Sports Network, which was set up in South America at about the same time as the Corinthians mess. It's a bit confused but it seems it bought the rights to screen a sporting event but couldn't pay up in the end, had to be bailed out by it's parent company Clear Channel that Hicks owned with his brother before filing for bankruptcy. By my reckoning then that's 3 companies that have filed for bankruptcy under Hicks, though he's always been alright. Wonderful eh, just fills you with confidence about him.

It helps when you are friends with the President and his family. Without them Hicks would be behind bars a long time ago. That is the reason to why he always ends up on his feet. He is know spending a lot of money to be friends with the next President.
I always believe in our team, always.
Sheikh Mo will own the club very soon.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2008, 11:36:47 am »

There's an Argentianian journalist by the name of Ezequiel Fernández Moores. He has written a number of articles on Hicks and his ventures into South America. His articles are certainly worth looking up. I shall also attempt to compile some of them.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2008, 11:51:29 am »
Any updates mate?  Via PM..

Was there any update?
Justice for the 96.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:26 pm »
Do you guys think it would be worth collating all these articles and doing an overview to send to RBS?

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2008, 12:15:41 pm »
Do you guys think it would be worth collating all these articles and doing an overview to send to RBS?

Not a bad idea that. Maybe SoS should get involved?

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2008, 12:45:55 pm »
[4pool] It's an excellent fantastic record [/4pool]
haha
[4pool] Im rite and everyone else is wrong, tom hicks is great because hes from dallas and that is where i am from  ;) ;) ;) [/4pool]  :p
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2008, 01:54:09 pm »
There's an Argentianian journalist by the name of Ezequiel Fernández Moores.
Perhaps that explain what Hicks has tried to fuck up David Moores's club; a case of mistaken identity? :D

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2008, 01:57:43 pm »
It would certainly be worth collating EVERYTHING we have against Hicks/Gillett and having one big, well-written overview to put as a sticky in this section or the opinion section so that newbies and stooges PR lackeys /people pretending that everything's okay can be directed there.

G&H's track record doesn't automatically mean they'll be bad for LFC. But at least people should be aware of how they have operated and the things that could happen.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2008, 04:07:39 pm »
It would certainly be worth collating EVERYTHING we have against Hicks/Gillett and having one big, well-written overview to put as a sticky in this section or the opinion section so that newbies and stooges PR lackeys /people pretending that everything's okay can be directed there.

G&H's track record doesn't automatically mean they'll be bad for LFC. But at least people should be aware of how they have operated and the things that could happen.

Great idea. Education is the key.
Football is a lie

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2008, 11:36:02 pm »
redjam: unbelievable. you've done us all a great service. thanks.

Offline Grandson of Shankly

• Kemlynite
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2008, 12:08:43 am »
direct action is the only measure.  The football club is being sucked from us.  I am well educated and read enough on these fuckers to know it.  Moores and Parry should hang their heads in utter shame.

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
  • "I am focused on training and coaching my team"
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2008, 11:20:26 am »
Competition between RedJam and HarryL:

Who is the biggest Hicks dirt sleuth?

It's too close to call in my opinion
.....where once we watched the King Kenny play

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:01 am »
Competition between RedJam and HarryL:

Who is the biggest Hicks dirt sleuth?

It's too close to call in my opinion

Hats off to RedJam she's better at the dig any day.  :thumbup

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2008, 01:04:09 pm »
Not sure about that but I know that Harry's better at arguing the points.  :)

Regal Cinema acquired by Hicks, Muse. and KKR in 1998. Embarked on an expansion plan but lost money every year. They were unable to pay off the interest on the debts in the end and filed for bankruptcy in October 2001. Lost $1.57billion in equity.

"Soon after it was made in 1998, tough competition from other cinemas and from cable TV companies sent Regal's box office receipts tumbling along with its market value.

This brought the cinema chain's expansion efforts, which had been financed with borrowed money, to an abrupt halt."

"The higher value will not directly benefit the two buyout companies which wrote off their initial $1.57bn equity investment in the company last year. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1528764.stm

"Investment firms Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts
& Co. are the majority shareholders of Regal, but their ability to control the
company is jeopardized by its inability to make interest payments on its
debts.

Regal has defaulted on its bond facility after it missed payments of more
than $37 million last month (HR 12/4 and 12/18). Holders of Regal's senior subordinated notes can take legal action for nonpayment of the
semiannual interest payment after a six-month period."

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~igiddy/cases/regal_cinemas.pdf

"Since being acquired for $1.05 billion-$1.2 billion in a 1998 leveraged buyout led by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and Hicks Muse Tate & Furst, the company has lost money each year, including $366.5 million in 2000."

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2001/5/29/creditors_gain_control_of_knoxvillebased_regal_cinemas_thedealcom_says

Ta for the tip about Ezequiel Fernández Moores too Harry. Found this article about corruption in football in South America. I think it's been mentioned on here before about Hicks vs Hicks or something. This is the pertinent paragraph.

"Worst of all, perhaps, is the case of the Hicks group. This group is a hedge fund based in Texas and linked to President George W. Bush. Hicks took over two teams, Corinthians and Cruzeiro, through contracts that should have run until the year two thousand and ten.

These deals included promises of construction of new stadiums. Hicks also bought forty nine percent of the traffic television network and dreamed up its own ultimate soccer business: Hicks teams facing each other in matches broadcast, naturally, by Hicks. Hicks set up a cable channel in Latin America, PSN, acquired national basketball association rights, formula one races and soccer championships at overblown prices. Hicks invested about five hundred million dollars and in only two years filed for bankruptcy.

Let\'s make it quite clear: in recent years Brazilian soccer has been the scene of a hard battle: on one side, the politicians of the old guard who took advantage of soccers popularity to make money and collect votes; on the other, a group of multinational firms. The old guard seems to have been the victors in the end. But it is widely suspected today that many of the firms took advantage of the struggle to launder money of more than dubious origin."

http://www.playthegame.org/Knowledge%20Bank/Articles/The%20Magic%20in%20Brazil%20Soccer%20Corruption.aspx

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2008, 01:21:12 pm »
I posted the idea of an article in the SoS ideas thread but it appears they are working on something. However, would it be worth taking these posts of Redjam's and previous posts of Harry's quoting the S American situation and creating a 'why we are worried about Hicks' thread, so all the info is easily accessible to anyone who wants it and new info can go in there instead of appearing, slightly off topic, in threads like these?

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
  • "I am focused on training and coaching my team"
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2008, 03:42:21 pm »
Hats off to RedJam she's better at the dig any day.  :thumbup
Not sure about that but I know that Harry's better at arguing the points.  :)
You both deserve huge credit for your hell-bent determination. In a weird way though the more you guys post about Hicks the more infuriated I get at Parry & Moores for not doing their homework. Supposedly, they're paid professionals and they've been outdone by two housewives (no offence)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:44:30 pm by T-1000 »
.....where once we watched the King Kenny play

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2008, 04:36:29 pm »
I posted the idea of an article in the SoS ideas thread but it appears they are working on something. However, would it be worth taking these posts of Redjam's and previous posts of Harry's quoting the S American situation and creating a 'why we are worried about Hicks' thread, so all the info is easily accessible to anyone who wants it and new info can go in there instead of appearing, slightly off topic, in threads like these?

When Armin set this separate off pitch board up, he also set up the "off-pitch articles thread" which was intended as a thread for those folk who just wanted to read the news without wading through a thousand opinions. That remains unused, primarily, I think in retrospect, because it's time has passed ...there are hardly any press articles these days unlike the heady days of january through april.
             I would suggest checking in with Armin to either 1. set up a new stickie named "why we are worried about H&G" or " the inglorious history of a couple of chancers" or something like it, or amend the existing thread.
We might have to narrow the posts to "approved" articles, otherwise it will rapidly descend into a bitchfest....don't know how Mods would want to play this, but I think collating all the dirt in one place will be a valuable resource both for the present and the future.

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2008, 06:24:57 pm »
                  after all RedJams stellar research, I started to wonder if there is a professional journalist at one of the broadsheets who might be interested in compiling an article on " the track record of the new breed of super rich owners", in order to give her and Harrys work a wider audience and take the issue out into a wider context....perhaps more of an investigative or financial journalist rather than your oliver kays, spread it into this wider area of general interest......
               Wasn't there going to be some parliamentary committee that was going to look at this kind of foreign ownership? If so, perhaps SOS might ask for the opportunity to be heard ( if they haven't already ) by the committee, where collated information on, amongst other things, the Multiple bankruptcies of one T. Hicks could be presented. ( how many is that now? ) 
              Can't help feeling that Platini and UEFA might be more than open to hearing, and possibly lending support, to the case of Liverpool vs. Hicks and the tale of vast sums leveraged/borrowed money, which freaks platini out just as it does us. more throwing paint at the wall. please forgive me, dreamer not 'do'er me. 

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2008, 07:09:29 pm »
Housewives?! they're wonder women!

Redjam and Harry, shall we ask Armin about the article? - see manifest's idea... pm me.

I'm pretty sure SoS are in touch with the parliamentary committee, manifest. Seem to remember them saying so.