Author Topic: Iron Maiden  (Read 8537 times)

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
Re: Iron Maiden
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 03:02:11 pm »
Anyone got this weeks Kerrang ?

Free CD of Maiden covers and it's very good as well.

i'd like to hear this please. :D

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 03:15:40 pm »

Free in this weeks Kerrang :)
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:40 pm »
Why don't you just dig out Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden and hear it done properly and not being ruined by Metallica who should have called it a day after the black album......

:P
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:17 pm »
Free in this weeks Kerrang :)

Was in last week's actually. Was going to post about it but completely forgot.

If people want it then PM me.

To those who have heard, what are your best/worsts?

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 11:07:27 am »
Was in last week's actually.

Still classed as this weeks......well it's last weeks now but it wasn't then  :P

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 12:29:01 pm »
Why don't you just dig out Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden and hear it done properly and not being ruined by Metallica who should have called it a day after the black album......

:P

You pick out Metallica when Fightstar lead by ex-Busted frontman are covering one of Iron Maiden's most famous songs?  :butt
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 06:36:42 pm »

any chance of an upload? :D

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 06:40:28 pm »
You pick out Metallica when Fightstar lead by ex-Busted frontman are covering one of Iron Maiden's most famous songs?  :butt

fucking hell. how'd they end up with fear of the dark? :o

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 07:40:31 pm »
The Clairvoyant has one of the best song intro's ever imo.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »
Haven't seen the "line-up" for the covers cd, and who the fuck are fightstar and why on earth would you want to listen to someone covering Maiden anyway. The thought of listening to a whole album of covers repulses me
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline jazw

• Main Stander
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 07:36:43 pm »

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2008, 06:14:06 pm »
Haven't seen the "line-up" for the covers cd, and who the fuck are fightstar and why on earth would you want to listen to someone covering Maiden anyway. The thought of listening to a whole album of covers repulses me

It's actually not bad mate.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 07:00:03 am »
Shamefully, only discovered them through GH and Rock Band.

Obviously I'd heard of the, but just instantly dismissed it as shite, heavens knows why. Brilliant stuff :)
hi

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2008, 12:06:37 pm »
My 10yr old won a 8gb Ipod in his school raffle (jammy git) so I loaded some songs on it for him.

First tracks he asked for were 'Number of the Beast' by Maiden and 'I wanna Rock 'n' Roll all Night' by Kiss.

Ended up slipping most of Maidens back catalogue on it :o

Offline tepy75

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2008, 08:35:50 am »
I was in the yesterday show (somewhere back in time) at Budapest and it was absolutely fantastic!!!

Bruce moved like a teenager and the athmosphere was superb.

Offline Lea Blue4

• No class what so ever. In search of some history.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2008, 08:56:09 am »
Great thread - got me on a trip down memory lane.

First saw Maiden in a pub in the East End about 1978 doing a warm up gig prior to going on tour. Must've been one their first tours as headline act. Not the most polished performance but still bloody good.

Reading festival 79 or 80 i forget which. The year of the NWOBHM.

Powerslave tour. A mate was roadying for them and we ended up playing against them in a 5-a-side match at some sports centre near Nottingham - they won. Steve Harris probably could have been a pro.

Donnington festival in '88. A freebie - awesome being at the side of the stage to watch!  8)
Found it at last!

History: [pr] his·to·ry.
1: Something that belongs to the past
2: A usually chronological record of events, as of the life or development of a people or institution, often including an explanation of or commentary on those events

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:19 am »
Powerslave tour. A mate was roadying for them and we ended up playing against them in a 5-a-side match at some sports centre near Nottingham - they won. Steve Harris probably could have been a pro.

Apparently he was going to have trials at West Ham but ended up getting a record deal a week before he was due to go.  On a similar topic, Bruce could also have been an olympic fencer.

Would be brilliant to have played footy with the band though.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 10:59:00 am »
30 years ago today "The Number of the Beast" was released...

Here's to the band...

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:05 am »
Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaa baby.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:25 pm »
Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaa baby.

I knew you'd be here mate... :thumbup

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »
Never liked them when they were about (early days) .. but i checked em out several years ago on you-toob.. wow, i was wrong & their bass player was unreal  8)
love the one with winston churchill speach at the beginning... "we'll never surrender".. class... full on force 10..  8)... Aces high i think
& bruce dickinson is a full pilot....  :o .. full commercial planes ect... (lead singer)... i believe .  ;D
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »
Twas indeed Aces High. Love the solo in The Prisoner, awesome. As is Powerslave and Alexander The Great. I prefer the early stuff ill admit, especially the Di'Anno years but Bruce has done a great job.

Im not a fan though. Shite music........................... ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 10:00:20 pm »
Never liked them when they were about (early days) .. but i checked em out several years ago on you-toob.. wow, i was wrong & their bass player was unreal  8)
love the one with winston churchill speach at the beginning... "we'll never surrender".. class... full on force 10..  8)... Aces high i think
& bruce dickinson is a full pilot....  :o .. full commercial planes ect... (lead singer)... i believe .  ;D

You learn something new every day, eh? ;D Bass player is Steve Harris - co-founder of the band along with Dave Murray. They are the only two members to feature on all Maiden albums.

Twas indeed Aces High. Love the solo in The Prisoner, awesome. As is Powerslave and Alexander The Great. I prefer the early stuff ill admit, especially the Di'Anno years but Bruce has done a great job.

Im not a fan though. Shite music........................... ;)

The ones you mention are ace mate but what about "Loneliness of the long distance runner" ? Fantastic track in my book. in fact that entire album is great - "Wasted Years" on full force on a summers day in the car with all the windows down. :thumbup And Powerslave... What an album too!! But yeah the early stuff is better than the latter. Especially the ones without Bruce... :shocked Saw them last year @ Roskilde Festival - "Blood brothers" was amazing!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:02:20 pm by Bennekov »

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »
Somewhere In Time is a great album. Deja Vu is a great track. Wasted Years has a lovely solo in it but it is Adrian playing ;)

I like all their stuff more or less, not a fan of the Blaze years but some of the music was good if you got into it and listened deeply.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 10:51:05 pm »
Somewhere In Time is a great album. Deja Vu is a great track. Wasted Years has a lovely solo in it but it is Adrian playing ;)

I like all their stuff more or less, not a fan of the Blaze years but some of the music was good if you got into it and listened deeply.

Haven't even bothered to be honest. For me Maiden is either Di'Anno or Bruce. I'm listening to "King of Twilight" right now. B side of the Aces high single. Brilliant cover of the original Nektar song from 1972. Know that one?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:00 pm »
Of course. What are u implying? I have some good vids as well. Live at the Rainbow in 82 on VHS is awesome :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 11:04:05 pm »
Of course. What are u implying? I have some good vids as well. Live at the Rainbow in 82 on VHS is awesome :)

I'm implying nowt mate. (Yes I was hinting at you being an ignorant tw@t but don't tell... ;) ) I haven't got any rare vids or anything. I just have all their albums apart from the Blaze ones.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 11:08:59 pm »
I want the Soundhouse Tapes. Id have both balls cut out for charity for them.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 11:29:14 pm »
I want the Soundhouse Tapes. Id have both balls cut out for charity for them.

Virtually impossible to get hold of in the original form. Torrent-wise it's no prob but getting an original now that's a completely different story... ;D

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:06 pm »
No i want the originals. And i will one day.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »
No i want the originals. And i will one day.

You'll have to sell several valuable body parts to get the dough to get them... ;D

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2012, 11:38:30 pm »
Im more than happy to do that mate :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 11:46:09 pm »
Im more than happy to do that mate :)

Right get on eBay then... ;)

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »
love these guys.first concert i went to properly.

fear of the dark and the wickerman all time favourites
The West is finished, China is the future

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 9, 2012, 03:18:41 pm »
Thought i would post a pic up of my motorbike helmet before it is retired after years of hard graft :( How its stayed in one piece is worrying the way i ride ;)

Up The Irons.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 9, 2012, 04:25:56 pm »
Thought i would post a pic up of my motorbike helmet before it is retired after years of hard graft :( How its stayed in one piece is worrying the way i ride ;)

Up The Irons.

Cool Eddie art work. Had it made or is it a standard piece of Maiden fan gear? ;D

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »
Maiden touring with their "Maiden England" set from Donnington 88 - (Birmingham NEC in the Video)- USA this year followed by Europe next year.  Be good to hear some of the tracks from 7th Son. Moonchild is one of the best openings to a concert ever.

Loved the albums since Bruce came back but thought the last one was a little self indulgent and did not really get into it. I may try again as i have some long car journeys ahead.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2012, 03:07:52 pm »
Cool Eddie art work. Had it made or is it a standard piece of Maiden fan gear? ;D

Cheeky fucker. The helmet cost me £500 and the spray job £400+. It is all hand done by John Spurgeon who is/was at Aerographics in Norwich.

Thinking about getting my new helmet covered as well...........................

Offline Robbie the Rooster

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2012, 06:52:29 pm »
Great band. Very unusual in the sense that they had a dip in form around the early nineties,they recovered very well, and their past four albums,brave new world,dance of death,matter of life and death have been tops. Some of their songs have great meaning aid symbolism within them with references to literature etc. Yet they will probably be remembered for bring your daughter to the slaughter. If you haven't listened to them since the eighties, get dance if death,released 2004, brilliant album. Seen em four times live always great.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:53 pm »
been getting back into Maiden over the past few weeks. In school they were my favourite band with AC/DC, but I kind of grew away from them into more heavier stuff. They sort of became a parody of themselves for a while, but I had a listen to A Matter Of Life And Death when my son bought it, and I really REALLY liked it, so got back into them. Love the live stuff, especially live stuff with Paul singing.