Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 3264582 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Believer
Thought I'd pop in to share the love with fellow auld arses...feel so happy for all Liverpool fans....but for those of us who witnessed the glory of Bob , Bill , Joe and Kenny...weve had to carry this Burden of dreams for 30 years
..along with the fight for justice....it feels as wonderful as I thought it would.

We can now end this journey and look back with pride...I never thought I'd quote Clive Tyldesley but he nailed it as we celebrated in Istanbul ..

" They never forgot who they are"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Thought I'd pop in to share the love with fellow auld arses...feel so happy for all Liverpool fans....but for those of us who witnessed the glory of Bob , Bill , Joe and Kenny...weve had to carry this Burden of dreams for 30 years
..along with the fight for justice....it feels as wonderful as I thought it would.

We can now end this journey and look back with pride...I never thought I'd quote Clive Tyldesley but he nailed it as we celebrated in Istanbul ..

" They never forgot who they are"

Sat on the couch with my two kids (12 and 9) and thought of my brothers kids who range from 16 to 28. Finally, they get to experience what we took for granted.

Our kid will have raised a glass or two to his mate Kev and to his Mum Anne. YNWA

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Believer
Sat on the couch with my two kids (12 and 9) and thought of my brothers kids who range from 16 to 28. Finally, they get to experience what we took for granted.

Our kid will have raised a glass or two to his mate Kev and to his Mum Anne. YNWA

Try and track that vid down with Andrew Schofiekd in of the generations of Liverpool fsns

Offline FlashingBlade

• Believer

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
I've got dust in my eye

My son was 15 when we last won it, his son is 15 now. To break ther sequence though I was 14 in my first title winning season.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread
« Reply #42806 on: August 3, 2020, 10:46:48 pm »
i was actually getting to stage of feeling guilty about living through all the great years from Bill onwards so for me this one is special for the younger generations
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Not a world i want to live in!

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
« Reply #42807 on: August 4, 2020, 08:59:53 am »
i was actually getting to stage of feeling guilty about living through all the great years from Bill onwards so for me this one is special for the younger generations

I think our generation forget those years between say 1967 and 1971 when it looked as if our star had fallen. Semi final of the European Cup in 1965, Final of the CEC in 1966 and League title and then no trophies. The seeds of recruitment were there but we still had a few false dawns Alun Evans, Jack Witham, Phil Boersma.

Five years without success in your late teens seemed like decades though!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Believer
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #42808 on: August 6, 2020, 05:15:20 am »
Haven't posted overmuch during these stressed-out times but wanted to add my congratulations (far too long overdue I have to say!) to you Liverpool lads and lassies for not just winning the title but for the manner and style in which it was won. JK has done a magnificent job these last 5 years. Love the fella's charisma and enthusiasm. He's inspired decent players to become super-players and not in ones or twos either! Worth his weight in gold. Unlike that Special one sulk-arse Mourinho that we saddled ourselves with for 3 long and tortuous years!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #42809 on: August 6, 2020, 11:58:29 am »
Haven't posted overmuch during these stressed-out times but wanted to add my congratulations (far too long overdue I have to say!) to you Liverpool lads and lassies for not just winning the title but for the manner and style in which it was won. JK has done a magnificent job these last 5 years. Love the fella's charisma and enthusiasm. He's inspired decent players to become super-players and not in ones or twos either! Worth his weight in gold. Unlike that Special one sulk-arse Mourinho that we saddled ourselves with for 3 long and tortuous years!
Nice one Johnno.

A Man Utd supporting mate was the first to text me with a congrats message when we won it. We then had a chat about how our two clubs seem to always be on opposite trajectories and therefore rarely seem to be on top form at the same time. Maybe that will change next year with your lot looking on the up.

When we thought about it some more, we realised there has only really been two seasons in our lifetimes (we’re both 50) when both clubs have been properly going for the title in the same season (1980 and 2009, although we might’ve forgotten some others) which is amazing when either one or the other has won the league 25 times over the course of those 50 years!

Offline The 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #42810 on: September 3, 2020, 12:14:52 pm »
Just incase any of the infrequent posters missed his sons thread. Sad news that Nick Gulleysucker passed away from a stroke. His humanity and knowledge always brightened the thread up. He’ll be missed from on here. RIP Gulley
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Believer
  • Eck Ong Kar la ♡
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

I would rather have questions that can't be answered then answers that can't be questioned - Some Fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Believer
  • Eck Ong Kar la ♡
« Reply #42812 on: September 3, 2020, 12:54:29 pm »
Just incase any of the infrequent posters missed his sons thread. Sad news that Nick Gulleysucker passed away from a stroke. His humanity and knowledge always brightened the thread up. He’ll be missed from on here. RIP Gulley

Sad news.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

I would rather have questions that can't be answered then answers that can't be questioned - Some Fella .

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42814 on: September 16, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »
Not sure if it is my age or just sheer disinterest but i dont seem to log in to Rawk so much these days, so while i am here hope the auld arses are keeping well in these trying times.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • Believer
« Reply #42815 on: September 22, 2020, 10:28:45 pm »
Hi all you storytellers and yarn spinners. As was referenced above these are indeed weird weird times. I really hope you guys are well. I've loved this thread since I joined RAWK. Stay salty, safe and wicked.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Believer
« Reply #42816 on: September 24, 2020, 03:53:56 pm »
Hi all you storytellers and yarn spinners. As was referenced above these are indeed weird weird times. I really hope you guys are well. I've loved this thread since I joined RAWK. Stay salty, safe and wicked.
Hi Dougle it's been a while since FS led us here during those dark times for the club...While others were blaming Rafa and chose to ignore the cancer which was eating away at our club RAWK led the way and fought back. Now look at us Top of the f*cking world. 
 I do miss Gerry though and I worry for him and others of a certain age during these weird and testing times ( like those who frequented this thread ).
But in the age of outrage I think his humour would of ruffled a few feathers to say the least ;)
Anyway hope you and your's are all well.

YNWA

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Believer
« Reply #42817 on: September 24, 2020, 04:33:47 pm »
Just checking in myself to ask a few more auld arses to do the same. These are strange times and it’s nice to know that you lot are staying safe and keeping well. Best wishes to all.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42818 on: September 26, 2020, 08:15:59 am »

Oh my God!! Missed this very sad news. Rest in Peace Gulley - so sorry to hear and yep, he WILL be missed from here but not half as much as from his family eh?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline The 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #42819 on: September 26, 2020, 11:55:08 pm »
Oh my God!! Missed this very sad news. Rest in Peace Gulley - so sorry to hear and yep, he WILL be missed from here but not half as much as from his family eh?
His son is a medic who trained at Liverpool and is still working around Lpool in the NHS, your heart goes out to him and the rest of the family.On a brighter note good to see you posting John
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42820 on: September 27, 2020, 09:26:18 am »
Thanks for the update on Leo Albie. Good to hear he keeps in touch with you and that he's still battling the effing system for justice. Some warrior that lad eh?

Stay safe and well brother!!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42821 on: November 14, 2020, 07:22:12 pm »
Stay safe folks

i am spending two weeks in school invigilating what could possibly go wrong !

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Believer
« Reply #42822 on: November 18, 2020, 04:01:40 pm »
Stay safe folks

i am spending two weeks in school invigilating what could possibly go wrong !

Reminds me of a story a mate of mine told me about acting as an invigilator at local school exams.
He turns up for the exams and as the kids enter the classroom they are asked to hand in their mobile phones and to collect them at the end of the exam. Upon entering the classroom and before the exam starts, they are given a quick presentation on the rules and regulations for the upcoming exam, this includes a warning that anyone in possession of a mobile phone will be expelled from said exam. Papers are duly handed out and a final warning is issued before turning papers over that anyone still in possession of a mobile phone will be evicted from the classroom. The exam commences and yes, you’ve guessed it, vibrations and notification tones go off during the exam. Unbelievable.
When in Rome...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42823 on: November 20, 2020, 08:05:07 pm »
True in my experience ours have to keep them in their bags , which are left outside the exam area, these days the other problem is getting them to wear a mask coming in and going out of the room or hall:

Kids just think it is another rule to flout.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #42824 on: December 13, 2020, 08:49:42 pm »
My word, this thread has slipped down the pecking order, hasn’t it?

Anyway, someone just forwarded this Youtube to me, I figured Johnno would get a kick out of it. IMHO, Bobby Charlton was the best the UK ever had. I heard a story that when Alan Ball, another player I greatly admired, asked Alf Ramsey what to do when playing for England, his instructions were simple...’Get the ball to Charlton’

https://youtu.be/39eScEkGdlw
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:56:16 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42825 on: December 15, 2020, 04:10:49 am »
Thanks for posting this Red!! Got to say - surprisingly - that in watching this mate (and having watched Bobby for many many years) what a s'uperb turn of pace he had in breaking forward and carrying the attack from midfield!! Bloody hell he was like shite off a shovel!! So sad to hear of his dementia. Yet another stalwart of the old game becomes a victim of this insidious soul-stealing disease. I have it on solid authority that the aftermath of Munich totally changed his persona. He went from being a bit of a friendly rascal to a surly and troubled young man. His big brother Jack now also sadly departed, told me at one of our football dinners he believed Bob suffered badly - and never recovered from - survivor syndrome. All of his close mates died at Munich - all of them. He was changed and never ever re-discovered who he used to be.

One thing he will ever be though and that's a model professional who played when it was "permissible" for hatchet-men ( and every club in the 50's and 60's had such) to "tackle" (i.e.maim!) opponents who were so gifted and a constant threat to players getting their win bonus!! He took it all rode the "assaults" (never "tackles" some of 'em!) and he still shone. I think he was booked once in his career but he never found out he'd been booked (it was in the world cup quarter against Argentina in 1966) until 1999!!! See some really eye-opening facts in this link https://www.pressreader.com/

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 02:15:43 pm by JohnnoWhite »

• Kopite
« Reply #42826 on: December 16, 2020, 01:46:41 am »
I lost my Mum to dementia earlier this year, Johnno, Terrible disease, God help me if ever I start down that path.

You’re right, if course, about how Bobby moved through that midfield, he just ghosted past the opposition.... I always said with such graceful movement. And a thunderbolt of a shot in both feet! I only ever saw him on his visits to Anfield and, if course, on TV, but that was more than enough to appreciate what he was. Bill Shankly had the utmost respect for him, too. You’re a lucky guy to have been a Utd supporter in his heyday.

For all now good he was, Bobby spoke of how he didn’t feel he came close to being as good as Duncan Edwards. I can’t say I ever witnessed Duncan either live or on TV, the newsreels of him are very sparse. Did you get to see him play? He mist have really been something if Charlton was in such awe.

Its strange that the modern fan seems to have more respect for Jackie Charlton than Bobby. Now Jackie was as hard as nails, and I suppose popular in the changing room, but I always thought he was a dirty player and not on Bobby’s league. Don’t mean to speak ill of anybody, but there was a gulf in class.

Oh well, more reminisces. Its good I can still remember!

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #42827 on: December 16, 2020, 08:07:13 am »
I remember being abroad somewhere many years ago watching a TV match where Bobby Charlton was present. I was a bit surprised that the commentators held him in awe as England’s equivalent of Pelé. It’s almost as if we admire these people not just for their skill but as embodiments of their countries’ personalities. Pelé was exuberance and flamboyance. Maradona was tenacity and cunning. Bobby Charlton was very much seen as the best example of English fair play.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42828 on: December 16, 2020, 08:13:58 am »
Yes I saw Big Dunc play live quite a few times. I was an eleven year old in 1956 and in those days it was ok for 11 year olds to go and see their heroes unaccompanied. Back then, there wasn't the widespread accessibility to watch games other than by physically being there. I suppose in truth I must have only seen the Big fella live about 4 times in the league plus once in the televised Cup Final in 1957 against Villa.
I briefly "spoke" to him outside the old Queens Hotel in Piccadilly as the players were boarding the coach to go and play away to Bolton. It wasn't a very informative conversation you understand mate - more like "Duncan please will you sign my autograph book?"  ;D ;D ;D

I realise I was only coming up 12 at the time and many things appeared "big" maybe "bigger" than they really were. Dunc was 20 and was to have only a year left to him but he seemed 3 times as big as me. But in my mind's eye I still can't see him as anything other than being colossal.

I have to disagree with Bobby about him feeling inferior to Dunc. Bobby was in HIS way also unique. He was so fast and graceful, spotted great options whilst at pace, creating goals for others as a result and as you say dynamite in both feet (but he was shite at heading . . . ;) ;) except for his first in 68 against Benfica). But he had his gazelle-like qualities whereas Dunc was equipped like a Challenger tank on speed!! The kids (and the grown-ups) of that generation particularly United fans but football fans everywhere really were very fortunate indeed to have seen great great players that today's overpaid and overrated prima donnas couldn't hold a candle to.

• Kopite
« Reply #42829 on: December 16, 2020, 05:39:46 pm »
It was because of that lack of accessibility that the chance to see the big stars of the opposition was such a big draw. The hype before a game would be Jimmy Greaves this, Bobby Moore that, Gordon Banks, Jimmy Armfield, or mystic stars from abroad when the European tournaments got started. It wasn’t just about cheering your own team on, but the chance to see the best the game had to offer. I now love sitting in my armchair, seeing games on TV from far & wide, but I wonder if familiarity takes a bit of the shine off.

I, too, started going the match as an 11 year old, with the neighborhood kids in the Anfield Boys pen, stuck in the top corner of the Kop. It was a rough place, not for the meek. The objectives were 1-survival 2- watching the game & 3- evading the bobbies and bunking over the fence into the Kop. It was funny hearing the falsetto voices occassionaly getting through on the TV highlights on Match of the Day.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:16:25 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42830 on: December 23, 2020, 06:57:40 am »
Boyhood eh? If we knew back then what we know now - We'd be effing millionaires Rodders!! Stay safe mate and have the best Christmas you can !!

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Believer
« Reply #42831 on: December 24, 2020, 09:37:46 pm »
Merry Christmas to all who visit this forum, hope the season brings some much needed cheer to those who’ve struggled during these past dreadful months.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42832 on: December 25, 2020, 07:06:40 am »
To you Keith and to all the auld arses who have frequented this thread over the years - AND indeed to those who only drop in to post the occasional gem - I wish a very happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas. This is and has been the worst year I can ever remember in my 65 adult years. Up and down our country, lives have been stolen away by this virus, families shattered and the peacetime "normals" of our nation challenged as never before. A horrible year. But we'll weather it and come through it at some point but we WILL be changed. We will not forget the pain, the losses we've suffered nor the damage that has been done to so many of our people. Neither will we forget the decisions and actions taken by this government in their "handling" of the social and economic consequences  for our country  - the impacts of which have yet to emerge from this shitfest. Look forward to 2021 being NOTHING at all like 2020. Fingers crossed for us ALL.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Believer
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #42833 on: December 25, 2020, 10:35:49 am »
Beautiful sentiments Johnno and echoed here. Merry Christmas, all you seasoned veterans

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Believer
« Reply #42834 on: December 26, 2020, 10:15:16 am »
To you Keith and to all the auld arses who have frequented this thread over the years - AND indeed to those who only drop in to post the occasional gem - I wish a very happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas. This is and has been the worst year I can ever remember in my 65 adult years. Up and down our country, lives have been stolen away by this virus, families shattered and the peacetime "normals" of our nation challenged as never before. A horrible year. But we'll weather it and come through it at some point but we WILL be changed. We will not forget the pain, the losses we've suffered nor the damage that has been done to so many of our people. Neither will we forget the decisions and actions taken by this government in their "handling" of the social and economic consequences  for our country  - the impacts of which have yet to emerge from this shitfest. Look forward to 2021 being NOTHING at all like 2020. Fingers crossed for us ALL.

Eloquently put as always Jonno.  :)
When in Rome...

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Believer
« Reply #42835 on: January 1, 2021, 09:12:14 pm »
2021 is now with us, I’d just like to hope there is a chink of light after a truly dreadful 2020. May this year be kinder than the one gone before it and auld arses prosper again.
When in Rome...

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #42836 on: January 2, 2021, 10:17:18 am »
Nice one Johnno.

A Man Utd supporting mate was the first to text me with a congrats message when we won it. We then had a chat about how our two clubs seem to always be on opposite trajectories and therefore rarely seem to be on top form at the same time. Maybe that will change next year with your lot looking on the up.

When we thought about it some more, we realised there has only really been two seasons in our lifetimes (we’re both 50) when both clubs have been properly going for the title in the same season (1980 and 2009, although we might’ve forgotten some others) which is amazing when either one or the other has won the league 25 times over the course of those 50 years!
Apologies all (except Johnno) I appear to have jinxed it!

Remains to be seen if they are genuine contenders though. Long way to go before that. City will have a say in things too.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42837 on: January 7, 2021, 07:55:38 pm »
Evening Red,

Ta for the "apology" mate - very considerate of you !!
Mind you, we're performing like a sheep's arse after last night's shambolics so you've nowt to worry about in the immediacy . . . . :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ See PS below

Stay safe folks wherever you are!!

PS What a difference 2 and a half weeks can make eh? But one off games are just that aren't they? For me it's all about consistency as ever it always has been.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:00:05 am by JohnnoWhite »

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
jw1
« Reply #42838 on: February 4, 2021, 10:29:12 pm »
No I didn’t.  I actually didn’t even recognise the name  ;D

You don't remember Jack Witham's brief flirtation with being a goal scoring replacement for Hunt all of 50 years ago? Scored half a dozen in a shirt period then disappeared.

Offline BJ

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
jw2
« Reply #42839 on: February 5, 2021, 01:23:18 pm »
You don't remember Jack Witham's brief flirtation with being a goal scoring replacement for Hunt all of 50 years ago? Scored half a dozen in a shirt period then disappeared.
Mate I can’t remember what I had for my dinner yesterday so something from 50 years ago ... ::)