Author Topic: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!  (Read 2931872 times)

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #42520 on: May 24, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
SAP is a computer software firm in Germany, one of the founders is Dietmar Hopp who financed the rise of Hoffenheim to the Bundesliga. Out of interest like.

Anyway, retired today, noone going to call me Chef (German for boss) anymore. Looking forward to it. Think I'll drink a couple of beers today
Congrats on the retirement make the most of it.

Been on mine for 4 years and enjoyed every minute, if my "ideal" job had not come up I'd not have bothered applying.

Other news, my lad got married today,only a very quite "do" as it was the civil part,in Belgium every wedding has to be in the "town hall" tomorrow is the Big Day,

My new daughter in law is Vietnamese so the day starts quite early with a "Tea Ceremony"  followed later by the reception, really looking forward to it,even though I can't drink as I have to drive. ;)

Got a few family over from the UK and the plan was to go out with them on Sunday for "several" beers, only get an email saying my "medical" for the new job is on Tuesday so will have to watch what I drink now... ;)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • Campaigns
  • Believer
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42521 on: May 24, 2019, 11:14:10 PM »
...Anyway, retired today...

You lucky sod.... Wifey and I have got another two years to go before State Pension kicks in for us and it can't come sooner though I'll probably continue working as long as my skills are wanted and my coherence remains.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  - Sagan
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. - Aldous Huxley
Law of Logical Argument   Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Believer in the Light Demons of Chunder-Upon-Tits - Corkboy
Very sad man with too much time on your hands - ghost1359

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #42522 on: May 24, 2019, 11:16:50 PM »
Hope you get a nice cuppa PG Tips :)

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #42523 on: May 24, 2019, 11:43:01 PM »
You lucky sod.... Wifey and I have got another two years to go before State Pension kicks in for us and it can't come sooner though I'll probably continue working as long as my skills are wanted and my coherence remains.

When I left Britain I had 17 years NIC, a few years ago I found out I could do Class 2 NIC and back date until 2006. Boosting my years to 29. The extra I paid in I will get back in 9 months!!!!! Play the system.
My German pension is enough for me to live reasonably well so the State Pension from Britain pays for the goodies.
I don't want to work any more and I have a lot of things to do which, til now I've too little time for.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42524 on: May 24, 2019, 11:47:24 PM »

I don't want to work any more and I have a lot of things to do which, til now I've too little time for.

I thought the same...
State Pension from Britain pays for the goodies.
Ditto,but that is taxed here in Belgium,I do have a RAF pension that is not taxed though.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42525 on: May 25, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »
When I left Britain I had 17 years NIC, a few years ago I found out I could do Class 2 NIC and back date until 2006. Boosting my years to 29. The extra I paid in I will get back in 9 months!!!!! Play the system.
My German pension is enough for me to live reasonably well so the State Pension from Britain pays for the goodies.

great shout that Chef, for all overseas
PS love the custom name :D

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #42526 on: May 25, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »
great shout that Chef, for all overseas
PS love the custom name :D
I got Class 2 due to being self employed. I think any Brit abroad can do class 3 as long as you already have some years but it is more expensive
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:34:18 PM by Willi »

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42527 on: May 27, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
If any of you ever get the chance to go to a Vietnamese wedding or Tea Ceremony jump at it.

My lad got married over the weekend,I decided ages ago that I'd not have a drink all day/night so I'd not miss or forget anything, brilliant idea as the whole experience just blew me away,topped off by the fact my son hasn't looked happier both on the day and in the months leading up to it.

We also could not wish for a nicer daughter-in-law,for those who are on my friends list on Facebook then I'm sorry but over the next few days/weeks there will be many photos posted. ;) 

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42528 on: May 27, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »
^ nice one Pheeny, congratulations / chuck mung

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42529 on: May 27, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
^ nice one Pheeny, congratulations / chuck mung
thanks - I assume you mean chúc mừng ;)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #42530 on: May 27, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »
Congratulations on the great wedding and the gainful employment. I am enjoying my last half term off this week. Happy days
The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) is the principal organisation representing pensioners in the United Kingdom. It is made up of around 1,000 bodies representing 1.5 million members, organised into federal regional units.
The NPC was founded by former Transport and General Workers' Union trade union leader, Jack Jones in 1979

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42531 on: May 29, 2019, 10:02:43 PM »
and the gainful employment.
Cheers passed my medical with flying colours yesterday,now all I have to do is pass the "English" test next Tuesday...

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42532 on: May 29, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
I am enjoying my last half term off this week. Happy days
How many days left before you have finished?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42533 on: May 31, 2019, 12:27:31 PM »
How many days left before you have finished?

As i only do a three day week round about 7 weeks or 21 days not counting though honestly.

edit to be exact it seems it is Friday 24th July
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:31:48 PM by Mutton Geoff »
The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) is the principal organisation representing pensioners in the United Kingdom. It is made up of around 1,000 bodies representing 1.5 million members, organised into federal regional units.
The NPC was founded by former Transport and General Workers' Union trade union leader, Jack Jones in 1979

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #42534 on: June 2, 2019, 12:37:25 AM »
 Just checking in as havnt been on for a while.   Just watched  the  match  and  thought id  come in for  nose  and see whose  about  but alas  and alak no ones here !!!!    Not a riveting  match  but the 2nd goal  a deserved  win  and  shut  the  doubters up.   Well proud  to belong to a  great  Club
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Believer
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #42535 on: June 2, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
Hiya flw,

Hope you're ok love.

Watched the game with what was a degree of anticipation which fairly rapidly disappeared. Shockingly below par performance from both sides.

No wish to sound like the Carlsberg ad here but that was probably the worst Liverpool performance of what was a fine season. Champions of Europe again I know which deserves credit but in the future, I don't think anyone who had paid a lot of good money to be there will be reflecting back and thinking what a magnificent night that was.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Rick13

• Kemlynite
« Reply #42536 on: June 4, 2019, 12:10:38 PM »
Would agree with you, John, if you substituted "match" for "night" in your last sentence.
"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42537 on: June 4, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
Would agree with you, John, if you substituted "match" for "night" in your last sentence.

Take that point absolutely Rick!!Everyone there would for sure have had a good "night"  ;D ;D ;D - sadly, to be followed by one extremely headachey morning no doubt!! :P :P :P
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42538 on: June 6, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »
Hiya flw,

Hope you're ok love.

Watched the game with what was a degree of anticipation which fairly rapidly disappeared. Shockingly below par performance from both sides.

No wish to sound like the Carlsberg ad here but that was probably the worst Liverpool performance of what was a fine season. Champions of Europe again I know which deserves credit but in the future, I don't think anyone who had paid a lot of good money to be there will be reflecting back and thinking what a magnificent night that was.

I have been saying the same about the worst performance which is a bit ironic given we have played loads better and lost finals in the past, so i am content with a poor performance but cup winning result.  I do not include our keeper in the poor performance bracket though.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42539 on: June 7, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »
Cheers passed my medical with flying colours yesterday,now all I have to do is pass the "English" test next Tuesday...
Passed the test and also my "security"  check has been completed,got to sign my contract on Tuesday and my first day in work is next Wednesday.

Will be a bit strange after 4 years at home...

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #42540 on: June 7, 2019, 09:50:22 PM »
Good one Pheeny.
Meanwhile I haven't exactly achieved a lot this week.
I've decided to have a day off tomorrow.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42541 on: June 8, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
Passed the test and also my "security"  check has been completed,got to sign my contract on Tuesday and my first day in work is next Wednesday.

Will be a bit strange after 4 years at home...

Best of luck with it Pheeny mate.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42542 on: June 8, 2019, 10:37:49 PM »
Best of luck with it Pheeny mate.

I feel like I did some 40 odd years ago when I got my first job.

In the past couple of days I've been called "a bit stupid" by a few people I know as I don't really need to go back to work,one even suggested I should leave the job open for a youngster, even though they more or less have said they want someone with experience.

The only downside is that when you think of it I'll be working for Trump... :P 

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42543 on: June 9, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »
Pretend you're not then and you won't be troubled by guilt.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42544 on: June 13, 2019, 09:59:20 PM »
Great new Pheeny mate , so pleased for you.

i have signed up as a Invigilator for next year only be back in school now and then but keeps my link to the school, after 15 years in the same place i just cant leave and sever all connections with it. It will be just pin money but the main thing is seeing old friends from time to time.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42545 on: June 18, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
Invigilator - ooeerr at first take sounds a bit menacing Geoff lad. Terminator-esque-ish?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #42546 on: June 19, 2019, 10:17:55 PM »
Fucking bank holiday tomorrow which means there's millions of people wandering around when they should be safely locked up in work. Then after a Thursday bank holiday half of Germany takes Friday off as well for a long weekend. I'm really looking forward to Monday.
(In 26 years I never worked a Friday after a Thursday bank holiday and there's at least 2 a year. It is quite wonderful actually)

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Believer
« Reply #42547 on: June 21, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
Fucking bank holiday tomorrow which means there's millions of people wandering around when they should be safely locked up in work. Then after a Thursday bank holiday half of Germany takes Friday off as well for a long weekend. I'm really looking forward to Monday.
(In 26 years I never worked a Friday after a Thursday bank holiday and there's at least 2 a year. It is quite wonderful actually)

Willi, just spent a few days in Germany in the neighbourhood of Bavaria and loved the place, absolutely spotless everywhere. The main reason for going was to visit Neuenstein where my maternal grandmother came from. She left there around 1900 when she was about 18 years of age as she never got on with her stepmother and she never went back, I can’t imagine what it must have been like leaving rural Germany in those days to move to Liverpool with the docks and all the industry. One of my regrets in life is that I never had the opportunity to help her visit her birthplace again, I believe she still has relatives living there. I really loved the area and can’t wait to go back again in the near future I hope.
When in Rome...

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Believer
« Reply #42548 on: June 26, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »
Bump
When in Rome...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42549 on: June 28, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
Invigilator - ooeerr at first take sounds a bit menacing Geoff lad. Terminator-esque-ish?  ;D ;D ;D

more like 'Dirty Harry' Johnno give them the exam paper with the message 'Do you feel Lucky Punk?'

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #42550 on: June 30, 2019, 11:01:41 PM »
Hi kopite.keith
Only just read your post, sorry.
Living in the south, that is Bayern or Baden-Württemberg is great but maybe different from other areas of Germany. I live in Altenstadt on the border between the 2. I don't know Neuenstein but there are plenty of small towns of a similar size. My feeling regarding Britain (apart from Brexit) is that it's just too hectic. Here it's a relaxed way of life in an area of full employment, hard working people getting their reward for their endeavours.
As you say, leaving in 1900 was a big thing, certainly more than me moving in1992. But respect.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42551 on: July 1, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
Hi kopite.keith
Only just read your post, sorry.
Living in the south, that is Bayern or Baden-Württemberg is great but maybe different from other areas of Germany. I live in Altenstadt on the border between the 2. I don't know Neuenstein but there are plenty of small towns of a similar size. My feeling regarding Britain (apart from Brexit) is that it's just too hectic. Here it's a relaxed way of life in an area of full employment, hard working people getting their reward for their endeavours.
As you say, leaving in 1900 was a big thing, certainly more than me moving in1992. But respect.
1992 is the year I left Germany to settle in Belgium,although it was  RAF Laarbruch,which is now Weeze airport. Can't see me ever moving back to the UK  as you say it far too hectic.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42552 on: July 12, 2019, 12:31:13 PM »
four more actual working days and I am retired , not that i am counting the days . ;D

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #42553 on: July 13, 2019, 08:36:29 AM »
four more actual working days and I am retired , not that i am counting the days . ;D
Of course not, you're now down to counting the hours.
It is really wonderful. It's only now I realise how stressful work was.
I'm already in the phase of 'I've no idea how I had enough time to go to work'.

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #42554 on: July 13, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »
There are plenty of other things to count.
Sleeps
Breakfasts.
Number of times you have to go to work (I had the advantage of going home for lunch so I had 2 per day)
Number of times you have to go up and down the stairs at work. Count the stairs, that's a good one. Divide the stairs into sections then count each section.
Tea breaks.
Lunch breaks.
The number of times you will have to see the people you dislike most. Then on the last day think 'I'm glad I wont have to fucking see you again'
Think of new things to count.

Spend the whole week counting things, the week will fly by.

Offline The 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #42555 on: July 13, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
Six for me Phil, not that I'm counting, unexpectedly getting quite emotional.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42556 on: July 13, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »
Six for me Phil, not that I'm counting, unexpectedly getting quite emotional.

Well in both of you. Enjoy it lads

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42557 on: July 13, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
Retirement is not all its made out to be ;)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42558 on: July 13, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
Retirement is not all its made out to be ;)

No it definitely isn't Tony!

Strange how often you hear of people getting a serious illness shortly after they retire.

It happened to me, I stopped work a few years early in 2015 so I could go back to Uni. But if I only didn't get a serious dose of TB somehow and had to give up after First year.  Took a lot out of me, and still have some chest issues, but just completed Year 2 of the degree with the Open Uni, so I still intend to have a few years working in the nuclear power industry once I graduate next summer.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42559 on: July 13, 2019, 09:17:14 PM »
No it definitely isn't Tony!

Strange how often you hear of people getting a serious illness shortly after they retire.

It happened to me, I stopped work a few years early in 2015 so I could go back to Uni. But if I only didn't get a serious dose of TB somehow and had to give up after First year.  Took a lot out of me, and still have some chest issues, but just completed Year 2 of the degree with the Open Uni, so I still intend to have a few years working in the nuclear power industry once I graduate next summer.
Hope you are feeling better these days,TB is not something you hear much of these days.

I started back working last month after being home for the last 4 years on early retirement and its the best thing I've done.