Author Topic: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!  (Read 2891472 times)

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread.
« Reply #39720 on: May 28, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
Should come over here Leo,loads of jumble sales and Book markets where you can find loads of vinyl and most here don't realize the value.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #39721 on: May 28, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
I love listening to the old vinyl stuff meself, but if you're downloading stuff and you get it in a flac file as opposed to an mp3 the quality is much better. Obviously the file size is massive, but I still don't think you can replicate the sound quality of vinyl.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse "Ridiculously cool" -TAW-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #39722 on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »
I got this one:

Entitlement: the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #39723 on: May 29, 2015, 09:17:08 AM »
Should come over here Leo,loads of jumble sales and Book markets where you can find loads of vinyl and most here don't realize the value.
I was in Belgium about a year ago. I should have let you know, mate. I was only there for a few hours. I can't think of the name of the gaff. 6 of us, mates and wives, got a coach from Bournemouth, baccie run, but it was lovely, like one of them pictures on the Biccy Tins. Great day out.

Stuck indoors today, nothing to do out there and crap weather. I'll probably go for a walk later. Nice little woods and fields just over the road, bit of greenery, surrounded by dead busy roads and houses. Anyway, just looked through a few of them albums, I picked up. I've got more over at the house, but there's one I haven't heard. I'll have to get me sisters lad to upload it. He's a whizz at all that. I bet someones heard it though, John, tell us if it's any good...
Wotabunch

Kilburn and The High Roads.

It's Ian Dury and most of the Blockheads before they cracked it. I got it for a nicker.

Pheeny mate, you want to start grabbing them cheap albums. You'd make a few quid bringing them over here, or ebaying them.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #39724 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
I was in Belgium about a year ago. I should have let you know, mate. I was only there for a few hours. I can't think of the name of the gaff. 6 of us, mates and wives, got a coach from Bournemouth, baccie run, but it was lovely, like one of them pictures on the Biccy Tins. Great day out.

Pheeny mate, you want to start grabbing them cheap albums. You'd make a few quid bringing them over here, or ebaying them.
Baccy run is normally in or around Oostende. A few years ago Vic would have been closer than I am. ;)

With regards to the LPs I do often buy them but more to keep than sell.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #39725 on: May 29, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
Baccy run is normally in or around Oostende. A few years ago Vic would have been closer than I am. ;)

Tobacco Road is what we English called it, The Village was called Adinkirke and was on the side of the canal just on the outskirts of "De Panne" there were over 40 Cigarette shops, two of the most famous were called "Coronation Street" and "East Enders" My bar had Coronation Street on one side of my Bar and "The Royal"on the other and there were just 2 bars, mine and another bloke further down the road. We used to close on Sundays, no English come on Sunday, so we would go to "OOstende" sometimes and have a nice day out. OOstende is about a half hour drive from Adinkirke.

You get yourself out there Leo, those road markets are bloody good
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:10:25 PM by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #39726 on: May 29, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

Tobacco Road is what we English called it, The Village was called Adinkirke and was on the side of the canal just on the outskirts of "De Panne" there were over 40 Cigarette shops, two of the most famous were called "Coronation Street" and "East Enders" My bar had Coronation Street on one side of my Bar and "The Royal"on the other and there were just 2 bars, mine and another bloke further down the road. We used to close on Sundays, no English come on Sunday, so we would go to "OOstende" sometimes and have a nice day out. OOstende is about a half hour drive from Adinkirke.

That's my bar "Cafe de Hoorn"

Double left click on the photo for a bigger picture
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:24:48 PM by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #39727 on: May 29, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »
Just been out to do a bit of shopping and I bumped into one of my boys, (Cadette 14 to 16 age group) I have seen him around the town now and again we would have a chat and a hug, he is now married and is the father to 3 girls, he told me he has become a father again but this time it`s the boy he has been longing for and he has called him Victor after me, nearly cried then and the water is starting to trickle again, some things are worth more than money.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
« Reply #39728 on: May 29, 2015, 08:26:36 PM »
Says a lot that Vic.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #39729 on: May 29, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
Great that Vic.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse "Ridiculously cool" -TAW-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #39730 on: May 29, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »
Just been out to do a bit of shopping and I bumped into one of my boys, (Cadette 14 to 16 age group) I have seen him around the town now and again we would have a chat and a hug, he is now married and is the father to 3 girls, he told me he has become a father again but this time it`s the boy he has been longing for and he has called him Victor after me, nearly cried then and the water is starting to trickle again, some things are worth more than money.

That's what youth footy does for ya. :wave

Tell him to start a girl's team, Vic.

The game is twice as beautiful when you remove  testosterone.

Entitlement: the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • Campaigns
  • Believer
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #39731 on: May 29, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »

That's brilliant.

Be comforted in the fact that you must have had a really profound and positive influence on such a lot of people Vic, it's such a lot more than most of us can ever dream of ever doing in our lives.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  - Sagan
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. - Aldous Huxley
Law of Logical Argument   Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Believer in the Light Demons of Chunder-Upon-Tits - Corkboy
Very sad man with too much time on your hands - ghost1359

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Believer
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #39732 on: May 30, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
Just been out to do a bit of shopping and I bumped into one of my boys, (Cadette 14 to 16 age group) .................

but this time it`s the boy he has been longing for and he has called him Victor after me, nearly cried then and the water is starting to trickle again, some things are worth more than money.

You're dead right to identify him as "one of your boys". You focussed him on his life path in those difficult teen years - and he listened and he learned good things - and not all of them about just football.

You impacted and changed his life Vic mate - and he can pay you no greater compliment than to publicly acknowledge that in this way. Lovely, lovely moment to treasure mate.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Believer
« Reply #39733 on: May 30, 2015, 09:37:49 AM »
You're dead right to identify him as "one of your boys". You focussed him on his life path in those difficult teen years - and he listened and he learned good things - and not all of them about just football.

You impacted and changed his life Vic mate - and he can pay you no greater compliment than to publicly acknowledge that in this way. Lovely, lovely moment to treasure mate.
Evidently.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Believer
« Reply #39734 on: May 30, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »
This is what you need for your vinyl, chaps - an ebay special, and worth every penny:-

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Believer
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #39735 on: May 30, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »
I got this one:

I went to the gig, 1977 at the Empire. Elvis, Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric but Ian Dury stole the show.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Believer
« Reply #39736 on: May 30, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
That Cup final things got me going, should be in the ale house in Watford now... bastard,

Gonna fuck off to town, watch the match & The Undertones are on the Academy after. Is right. Don't stay up too late.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #39737 on: May 30, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »

I went to the gig, 1977 at the Empire. Elvis, Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric but Ian Dury stole the show.
My whole crew were here in NYC with tickets booked for his show when his visa was revoked.

Then 2 years ago I'm in a Honduras resort and I see SexandDrugsandRockandRoll, in Spanish.  What a fucking talent. What a story. What a life.

He'd be the biggest thing on the planet had he lived.

Were you lot spitting at the artistes?

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #39738 on: May 30, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
Lovely story that Vic. Nothing to match that, but me and a mate used to coach an under 12 team in the States. I loved it, great laugh. Me mate was quite a handy player. He was on Torquay's books when he was a kid, and would have went further but smashed his ankle really badly and was never the same. But anyway, years later, them kids never forgot us. Seen a few of them round town, young men by then, grown up, kids of their own some of them. They'd all stop and chat, mostly Latin kids, but they were all dead nice, polite, respectful... "Hi Coach." It used to make me laugh, but it was oh well you know.... nice to be nice.

Just watched the Cup Final. Sorry John, it wouldn't have got me going. Done me head in... plassie flags, football family, Lineacre and Wills, pissed me right off. I turned it off, listened to music till the game started. And that would have got me going the alehouse if I could drink. I just can't listen to them commentators, pundits, pricks. And if we end up with that Benteke and Walcott, I think that will be about it for me. I'll probably always go the odd match here and there just to see aul mates. But modern day footy... 4 days of shock horror on the telly, STOP THE PRESS, SEPTIC BLADDER'S A ROBBER!

Right now, behind closed doors and our backs the NHS is being sold... not a word. I best shut up. I feel a rant coming on.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Fat Scouser

• RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #39739 on: May 30, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »
Never in me life did I spit on anyone, and if someone would have spat on me, back in the 80's... oh, no. That wouldn't have went down at all well. Saw Dury a few times though, but best one.... been working in London, driving back to Liverpool, the daft mate driving, got lost. Had an excuse though, roads choka, traffic was horrendous, London half closed down for Charles and Di getting married. Could we fuck get out of London. Driving along, road suddenly full of trendy looking people, something obviously on, starts following them, huge banner across the street.... "FUNK THE WEDDING"

Ian Dury put a free concert on in Crystal Palace bowl to escape all that royal shite. Don't know how the fuck we ended up out there, but brilliant day. Then he was on in Hammersmith that night, never did get home that weekend.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Believer
« Reply #39740 on: May 31, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
Just watched the Cup Final. Sorry John, it wouldn't have got me going. Done me head in... plassie flags, football family, Lineacre and Wills, pissed me right off. I turned it off, listened to music till the game started. And that would have got me going the alehouse if I could drink. I just can't listen to them commentators, pundits, pricks. And if we end up with that Benteke and Walcott, I think that will be about it for me. I'll probably always go the odd match here and there just to see aul mates. But modern day footy...

Leo that's the thing, you don't need to be arsed about the game in this city to get yer goin, fuck it. Went to town, Diggsy was on in The Empire, footy in the background not a c*nt watching it, no sound, just a boss afternoon. Bit of a toddle, Ma Edgey's, The Unndertones, Rose & Crown, The Vernon, ya know the script, nailed on.

I don't give a fuck who we sign, will still be there, its never been about the footy, even when it was great, when we were the best in the world, it was always about the day, about yer mates and about having a ball. That'll never go, for me anyway. The day Im arsed about Arsenal and Villa will be the first, Lawrenson and Neville? Who gives a fuck? Blatter? He's not on his own, half the world's behind him. Benteke? He'd be sound in a red shirt.

I couldn't give a fuck about any of it really, i just know that I'll hsve a ball regardless.

Offline Fat Scouser

• RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #39741 on: May 31, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
John you're a party on your todd, mate. Make a party in a one man tent, you. But let me have a moan will yer. I'm chocka. But sounds a great day that. You'll be needing a curer now won't yer. I'll be up shortly. I've said nothin, but I'm bang at it mate. I'll be in touch soon as. I just hope you're not away on yer travels when I come up. When you off to Australia?

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #39742 on: May 31, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »
I'll have to have a pint with you next time I'm in Liverpool as well John,the last couple of years my lad has seen you more than I have...

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Believer
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #39744 on: May 31, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »

That is a cracking honour Vic, Lots of people are named after kith and kin or somebody famous which is nice but not significant, but to be named after someone who really impacted their life says a lot about you.  This could be a lovely ending to your book im thinking LOL !!!!  :thumbup
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #39745 on: May 31, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »
  Nice to see you back posting  Leo
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #39746 on: May 31, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »
Never in me life did I spit on anyone, and if someone would have spat on me, back in the 80's... oh, no. That wouldn't have went down at all well. Saw Dury a few times though, but best one.... been working in London, driving back to Liverpool, the daft mate driving, got lost. Had an excuse though, roads choka, traffic was horrendous, London half closed down for Charles and Di getting married. Could we fuck get out of London. Driving along, road suddenly full of trendy looking people, something obviously on, starts following them, huge banner across the street.... "FUNK THE WEDDING"

Ian Dury put a free concert on in Crystal Palace bowl to escape all that royal shite. Don't know how the fuck we ended up out there, but brilliant day. Then he was on in Hammersmith that night, never did get home that weekend.

My album was a live performance by the Stiff lot.

Those days, the punk crowd thought it cool to show their approval by spitting on the performers, who often spat back.

Wreckless was MC and kept telling the crowd to knock off the fucking spitting.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Believer
« Reply #39747 on: May 31, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
9th July I'm off Leo, so a few weeks yet. Let us know when you are gonna be up and we'll sort something.

Costello is on the Phil 15th June, am going to that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:50:56 PM by john_mac »

Offline Fat Scouser

• RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #39748 on: May 31, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
I'll try and make it up for that, but I'm waiting on a few things. Let you know asap

Offline Fat Scouser

• RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #39749 on: May 31, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
  Nice to see you back posting  Leo
It's nice to be back.

Jambutty, I know what they did. I was just sort of saying what I'd have done if it happened to me. Talking of which, I can sort of remember some performer from them days talking about getting hepatitis from all the spit.  Anyway, it was disgusting. But I suppose, it was just angry kids, in angry times, showing it.

Having a music day now. I just can't be arsed with that telly anymore. When I do put it on... Dad's Army, The Avengers, Bonanza, Columbo, I'm turning into a proper aul fella. I'll have to shoot meself if it ever gets to Murder She Wrote or shouting at the kids Turn It Down!

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #39750 on: May 31, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
See if you can find the indictment of Ringo into the Rock 'n Roll HOF last night.

Some nice things being said about him as a drummer.

Despite him not even being the best drummer from Liverpool.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Believer
« Reply #39751 on: May 31, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
See if you can find the indictment of Ringo into the Rock 'n Roll HOF last night.

Some nice things being said about him as a drummer.

Despite him not even being the best drummer from Liverpool.

Not even the best drummer in the beatles

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Believer
« Reply #39752 on: May 31, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »
Can't remember the last time the telly was on in my house Leo, wasn't in the last couple of months. Watch it sometimes in me da's but only what he has got on.

Jambutty, the crowd in Liverpool, even back then, was not your typical punk crowd, even for the punk bands. I remember seeing the Clash after a Home game one night at the Royal Court, the punks started going off a bit but soon got fucked off and sent packing by the match crowd. Saw something similar at Stiff Little Fingers, who loved playing Liverpool because the crowd was different than elsewhere.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Believer
« Reply #39753 on: May 31, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
Took your advice Leo and got ticket for the Philharmonic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVDXYS-MxnE

Offline only6times

• Believer
« Reply #39754 on: May 31, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
Tories will be bringing this in . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lyURyVz7k

Offline only6times

• Believer
« Reply #39755 on: May 31, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Believer
« Reply #39756 on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »
Caught these a couple of years ago in the States, were nailed on. They're on Leeds Thursday night, little visit to Yorkshire beckons, me thinks.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EpzCrKJsIrA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EpzCrKJsIrA</a>

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #39757 on: June 1, 2015, 04:28:09 AM »
Can't go wrong with this lot.

And everything so danceable.

Among the best live performances I've seen.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2rKCBkV99TY&amp;list=PLzxYfrv9r36MdHzU2gCGzmQgo4sDNzw0D&amp;index=41" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2rKCBkV99TY&amp;list=PLzxYfrv9r36MdHzU2gCGzmQgo4sDNzw0D&amp;index=41</a>

Offline only6times

• Believer
« Reply #39758 on: June 1, 2015, 08:09:38 AM »
On at The Who Hyde park gig this summer  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7s9A3s8iv8

Offline Fat Scouser

• RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #39759 on: June 1, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »
Here you go, bit of morning music and a few that never quite made it, great bands, should be household names...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_KBOajlBhY

Wanted to put the live one up, but the only film I could find is knackered....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxXJ8iTzmyE

found a live clip of them that works....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJbg1MMKXA

Don't know what this is like, couldn't find a live film of them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua9nXMwrIEs

Just with you saying the States, John. I seen all these in a club there, Toads in New Haven Connecticut. Brilliant gaff, right in the middle of Yale University. I was never out of there in the 80's. Saw some great bands, usually up an comers, but all hands played there. It was a done thing sort of. I never seen them but the Stones even kicked on tour off in there. And I seen The Cash/Carter family show in there, brilliant, all the family, June running round yelping and screaming, done up like a Squaw. Don't know if that word's taboo but it was great. Brilliant place.

Here's one, I just thought of him, first heard him in there....
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=james+mcmurtry+we+can%27t+make+it+here

That's to a page, take your pick out of them. The lad's brilliant, hardly heard of, I love the kid. He does some great stuff about working class America. Always makes me laugh, telly over here, only ever shows Yanks as daft an loaded or black and skint and violent. I knew loads of working class yanks, black and white, sound people, no different than ourselves, ordinary people getting by. Fucking telly, you're right John. I think I'll sling this one out of here. I hate it. Here you go watch this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEJPqJtZsk

Right that's it, got to get off me arse and get out or I'll be at it again all day.