Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 82746 times)

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #400 on: December 5, 2017, 05:21:43 pm »
Yeah I was thinking the same about putting a team there.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: December 5, 2017, 05:27:32 pm »
When I think of U.S. cities with a fanbase that rabidly supports its cities sports teams, Miami is right near the bottom of that list.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: December 5, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
You think near the bottom? I’d say maybe in the middle or slightly lower than the middle.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: December 6, 2017, 05:47:50 pm »
You think near the bottom? I’d say maybe in the middle or slightly lower than the middle.

Miami is notorious for it's horrible attendance with its various sports teams, professional and otherwise. Obviously there are exceptions like when the Heat had Wade, Lebron, Bosh and company but overall, Miami is well known as a bad sports town.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #404 on: December 6, 2017, 06:09:06 pm »
Miami is notorious for it's horrible attendance with its various sports teams, professional and otherwise. Obviously there are exceptions like when the Heat had Wade, Lebron, Bosh and company but overall, Miami is well known as a bad sports town.

Not disputing that, but Atlanta was, and is, very much the same, notorious for failing to support the Falcons, Hawks and Braves, never mind the Flames leaving town...

Look at what Arthur and Carlos did with United...

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: December 6, 2017, 06:33:22 pm »
Not disputing that, but Atlanta was, and is, very much the same, notorious for failing to support the Falcons, Hawks and Braves, never mind the Flames leaving town...

Look at what Arthur and Carlos did with United...

That’s a very good point. Now, I don’t see that happening with Miami, but I don’t think many people, myself included, anticipated the unreal support Atlanta United has gotten. So it’s certainly possible.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #406 on: December 6, 2017, 07:11:12 pm »
That’s a very good point. Now, I don’t see that happening with Miami, but I don’t think many people, myself included, anticipated the unreal support Atlanta United has gotten. So it’s certainly possible.

I don't think Becks would pull it off, either... ;D

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: December 6, 2017, 11:30:37 pm »

Yeah times Dolphins attendance isn't great week in week out, unless like you said are winning championships. How come Miami as a sports town is like that?

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: December 6, 2017, 11:38:11 pm »
Actually they were notorious even when they had Big 3 at Miami Heat and back to back champions. ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: December 9, 2017, 09:49:52 pm »
MLS final is on, Toronto vs Seattle, 0-0 in 18 mins.
I think Seattle wins this 2-0. I hate this cup format in MLS though.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: December 9, 2017, 10:05:12 pm »
35 mins in but snooze fest so far, looks like teams can't wait for this to go to penalties.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #411 on: December 9, 2017, 10:25:13 pm »
Giovinco is way too good to be playing in this league. Surprised no Premier League team has signed him.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #412 on: December 9, 2017, 10:29:05 pm »
MLS final is on, Toronto vs Seattle, 0-0 in 18 mins.
I think Seattle wins this 2-0. I hate this cup format in MLS though.

Toronto are destroying them and should be 2 goals to the good, and definitely at least 1 up. But the attacking quality for the final ball is shocking. If Toronto score first in the second half, then I think that's game over. Their midfield diamond is causing Seattle all sorts of problems.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: December 9, 2017, 10:34:14 pm »
Toronto are destroying them and should be 2 goals to the good, and definitely at least 1 up. But the attacking quality for the final ball is shocking. If Toronto score first in the second half, then I think that's game over. Their midfield diamond is causing Seattle all sorts of problems.
Yep, Seattle keeper made some great saves. Toronto looks like the deserving team yet I still think Seattle will somehow win this by a counter.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: December 9, 2017, 10:38:32 pm »
Yep, Seattle keeper made some great saves. Toronto looks like the deserving team yet I still think Seattle will somehow win this by a counter.

You're probably right. Plus, Toronto have Altidore, and he's the football equivalent of box-office poison :D

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: December 9, 2017, 10:43:02 pm »
Game is opening up a bit now. Is the guy who scored the goal to take Panama to the World Cup playing for Seattle?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: December 9, 2017, 10:46:22 pm »
Game is opening up a bit now. Is the guy who scored the goal to take Panama to the World Cup playing for Seattle?
Yep, Roman Torres.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: December 9, 2017, 10:47:58 pm »
we need either one of these teams to score to make this a great 30 mins but I am afraid if it's still 0-0 by 70th min, teams will avoid risky moves and go for the penalties like last year.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: December 9, 2017, 10:50:38 pm »
Yep, Roman Torres.

Thanks, I thought so. Let's see if he can score another huge goal.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: December 9, 2017, 10:54:05 pm »
Altidore scores. Toronto thoroughly deserved that goal.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: December 9, 2017, 10:54:35 pm »
Uh-oh, Toronto 1-0

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: December 9, 2017, 10:54:36 pm »
Altidore scores. Toronto thoroughly deserved that goal.

He's still box-office poison :D

But yep - 10 shots on target. They should be well ahead by now.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #422 on: December 9, 2017, 11:00:56 pm »
wow, Jozy Altidore! Has he learnt to play football since leaving Sunderland? Dreadful player last time I saw him.

Damn, that goal he scored tonight, kinda looked offside. They do VAR in MLS?

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: December 9, 2017, 11:03:38 pm »
wow, Jozy Altidore! Has he learnt to play football since leaving Sunderland? Dreadful player last time I saw him.

Damn, that goal he scored tonight, kinda looked offside. They do VAR in MLS?

This league makes him look good. The defending is League One/League Two standard.

This Seattle attack has been woeful. They're too negative.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #424 on: December 9, 2017, 11:04:55 pm »
This league makes him look good. The defending is League One/League Two standard.

This Seattle attack has been woeful. They're too negative.

ah ok! I have watched so very little of MLS over the years.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: December 9, 2017, 11:07:13 pm »
Seattle has to go all attack now or it will be too late already. This will be 5 different champions in the last 5 years if Toronto wins and I suppose it's good for the league.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: December 9, 2017, 11:22:14 pm »
Toronto were levels above Seattle. 2-0 doesn't reflect their dominance at all.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: December 9, 2017, 11:22:21 pm »
2-0, well done Toronto!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #428 on: December 9, 2017, 11:34:06 pm »
First championship for Toronto in any sport for a long time.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: December 9, 2017, 11:39:17 pm »
First championship for Toronto in any sport for a long time.
didnt the Argos win the CFL recently?

Good stuff t-dot

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #430 on: December 9, 2017, 11:46:15 pm »
didnt the Argos win the CFL recently?

Good stuff t-dot

I prefer CFL football to NFL, but it isn't really a major league title.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #431 on: December 10, 2017, 12:26:54 am »
Well in Toronto! Glad Seattle lost this time around, been poor in both finals, still can't believe they won it a year ago.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #432 on: December 10, 2017, 02:29:56 am »
congrats toronto
YNWA

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #433 on: December 11, 2017, 06:45:59 pm »
'Twas a fun day
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: December 11, 2017, 10:36:00 pm »
Delighted Toronto won.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: December 21, 2017, 11:38:45 pm »
Nashville Becomes 24th MLS Franchise

The MLS has confirmed that Nashville will become its 24th franchise.

Don Garber, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam, Nashville Mayor Megan Barry and Nashville Soccer Holdings head John Ingram were all present for the announcement.

The bid was considered a longshot when it began in January.

The investor group then secured $225 million in public financing from the city of Nashville to be used towards the construction of a $275 million stadium to be built on the Fairgrounds Nashville.

With Nashville named, the race for the last spot is widely viewed as a two-city race between Cincinnati and Sacramento.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #436 on: December 22, 2017, 05:37:33 pm »
Curios if there's any Americans on here who'd like to see Promotion and Relegation in MLS, rather than the franchise system?
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #437 on: December 22, 2017, 05:54:33 pm »
Curios if there's any Americans on here who'd like to see Promotion and Relegation in MLS, rather than the franchise system?

At least one.. Can't imagine I'm flying solo, either...

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2017, 02:27:46 am »
Pretty much everyone I think!

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: December 23, 2017, 02:06:39 pm »

Nearly all fans, don't think that's an exaggeration. And on the flip side,,,,,,,,it'll never happen. The MLS business model is squeeze ownership groups to buy in, with $100million+ expansion fees.  They've decided they'd rather have money than competition.

The current MLS playoff format, with the supporters shield (or league title) just an afterthought, is so American it hurts. Don Garber learned from and was shaped by his experience at THE National Football League, where parity (anyone can win it any year) and continuity (you're rooting for all the same teams which do not change year on year, the players do not matter and are laundry) are king.

Look at NYCFC, who have bought in and play their home games at yankee stadium, where the pitch dimensions are so utterly different from any other venue (and there's a fucking baseball diamond buried astride midfield) that it's in effect a different sport. When they first bought into MLS that was a max 3 year arrangement. Now it's indefinite. Not a peep from the league offiice because,,,,,,money.

Look, all the above might be a bit glass half empty. At least we have a semi viable league.  But Christ the people running it seem like your typical American sports execs, prioritize taking money out over the game itself.  I think part of that is they want to be seen as "footy, with an American twist" so as to try and bring more 'mericans into the tent, though with that appeal in mind it's a fairly physical league already where set pieces usually see guys collide violently. Feels to me like they could organize the competition to make it less NFL/NBA/MLB.........and that they never will because they're stiching themselves up with these franchise fees

After having a moan.....thanks, I feel better!  D.C. united new stadium coming, I'll miss the electric excitement of not knowing if the stadium would collapse in a stiff breeze

You'll Never Walk Alone