Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 80264 times)

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #840 on: September 10, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »
If you just want it for the internet, have you looked at chromebooks?

https://ao.com/product/4cl86eaabu-hp-laptop-grey-59786-251.aspx HP chromebook for £199, alright specs.

You only get a small amount of storage on the laptop itself, as it's all web based, but if you only use it to go online... you don't need it anyway ;D
Thanks, screen a bit small for me but would like to get another Lenavo as the one I have now has been far better than other Laptops ive had in the past.
"Brexit is like a political Ponzi scheme. It was a political movement that promised impossible returns: a swift, painless, problem-free departure from the EU."

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Believer
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #841 on: September 22, 2018, 06:58:28 PM »
Looking for a new laptop mainly used for work reasons. I work from home on the laptop so a lot of the time I will be flicking through Facebook, company website, user portal, google drive / microsoft office.

I imagine you don't need something overly powerful for this but I need something which is reliable + durable, has good battery life ideally and most importantly is fast when it comes to switching between files, tabs and all round good performance etc Any recommendations?
Justice for the 96.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #842 on: September 22, 2018, 10:49:22 PM »
Looking for a new laptop mainly used for work reasons. I work from home on the laptop so a lot of the time I will be flicking through Facebook, company website, user portal, google drive / microsoft office.

I imagine you don't need something overly powerful for this but I need something which is reliable + durable, has good battery life ideally and most importantly is fast when it comes to switching between files, tabs and all round good performance etc Any recommendations?

A bit left field, but this is an absolute bargain.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurbished-dell-latitude-7280-ultrabook-i5-6300u-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-12-1080p-380-blackmoreit-ebay-3056485

16gb Ram, good processor, awesome battery, SSD. Will be a productivity beast. Itís a refurb but if you can look past that then there is genuinely no flaws.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #843 on: November 2, 2018, 03:07:24 PM »
Anybody recommend a laptop for uni work etc? Girlfriend has been doing my head in the last couple of months borrowing my laptop and I haven't seen it since. I've got a decent laptop. Bought it mainly for playing football manager (new one released today) and watching football on it.

Can anyone help with a low budget laptop to be able to browse, research, use moodle and Office. Would be greatly appreciated and would allow me to get my laptop back  :D

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #844 on: November 11, 2018, 05:51:13 AM »
Anybody recommend a laptop for uni work etc? Girlfriend has been doing my head in the last couple of months borrowing my laptop and I haven't seen it since. I've got a decent laptop. Bought it mainly for playing football manager (new one released today) and watching football on it.

Can anyone help with a low budget laptop to be able to browse, research, use moodle and Office. Would be greatly appreciated and would allow me to get my laptop back  :D
Just saw this, sorry.  I've had great luck with my last two laptops being refurbished. I bought an Acer Swift SF314-51 about 6 months ago. Saved a lot of money vs. a new one. Go here: https://acerrecertified.com/

Good luck!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #845 on: November 12, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
Putting this on here on the off chance it helps anyone.

I've had a Dell XPS 13 9360 for about a year now and was always disappointed with the web browsing speeds. Youtube constantly buffered, pages took ages to load, that sort of thing.

I was contemplating getting rid and going back to a Mac but then I discovered that the Killer WiFi cards installed in the XPS range are renowned for being quite shit.

I ordered a replacement Intel card (AC 9260) for about £25 and after a five minute replacement, booted the laptop to find it is now remarkably quicker. It's like getting a new machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079QJQF4Y

Would highly recommend making the switch if you're unhappy with your Dell XPS.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:09:56 PM by .adam »

Offline Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #846 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:07 AM »
Sister is after a laptop for my Nephew, mostly for school work (he's 13/14) - don't think she wants to spend a fortune.

Anyone seen any great deals knocking about?

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #847 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:13 PM »
Sister is after a laptop for my Nephew, mostly for school work (he's 13/14) - don't think she wants to spend a fortune.

Anyone seen any great deals knocking about?

Probably best waiting for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals to start popping up next week
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Believer
« Reply #848 on: November 22, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »
Looking for a new laptop (and also one for eldest daughter for Chrimble)

I don't ask for much, but I just cannot find the combination of processor I want with SSD and 15.6" screen for the price I want to pay.

Can get 2 out of 3, but never the full 3.

I'm at the stage where I'm arguing with myself that the budget I set could be upped a bit 'cos it's not that much', and sticking to the budget because that's already the max I really want to be shelling out. Throw in also that I'm obsessive about getting the absolute best deal I can (and going into a right funk if I later find I've not).

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:
"Iíve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. Heís a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it ó Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #849 on: November 22, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
What size SSD and processor are you after and what budget?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Believer
« Reply #850 on: November 23, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
What size SSD and processor are you after and what budget?

You'll probably think I'm wanting the moon on a stick, but for me I want an i5 (7th or 8th gen) with at least 128gb SSD. Top budget £350. It'd ideally have 8gb ram, too, but this hoiks the price.

For the other, an i3, again ideally with SSD but not absolutely necessary. Target budget £250 but can go up a bit (CurrysPCWorld have a Lenovo with 6th gen i3 and HDD for £280)

I've found out that HP are doing a trade-in when buying certain laptops. Laptop Direct have HP ProBooks with 256gb SSD, down to £304 (i3) and £334 (i5) - although I suspect after reading the full T&C's on the HP site that LD have got that wrong, and the trade-in cashback would be £50 less for each with the laptops I'd have to trade-in.

I also know about a site that does a mix of graded and 'open box' stock, and they have amazing deals, but they go super-fast and they've nothing in stock apparently right now (hmmm...). Looked at a HP 250 G6 with i5, 256gb SSD, 8gb ram for £249, but it'd gone by the time I decided to buy it.

"Iíve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. Heís a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it ó Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Offline Claire.

• The Don. Giving it up for Lents. Too bright for most RAWK users. Getting antsy.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Believer
« Reply #851 on: November 26, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
the above post is yet another reason why I only buy apple stuff, who can be fuckin arsed with all that research 🤯

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
« Reply #852 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »
I think if money was no object then we would all have Apple products, I would.
Windows is shit and has been since the start, adding more stuff to a shit OS in the first place has not worked but they have the massive market share so we are stuck with cheap windows or expensive apple (dunno about Unix based stuff). Suppose gaming is an area for windows but dont play them so this has limited appeal.
Got an ipad which has been solid (speakers gone now) but it was very expensive for a tablet.

Offline Claire.

• The Don. Giving it up for Lents. Too bright for most RAWK users. Getting antsy.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Believer
« Reply #853 on: November 26, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
I don't think it's a question of money not being an object, apple products can be more expensive but I find I'll have that laptop for a long time - and even after 4 or 5 years you can still sell them and get a return.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Believer
« Reply #854 on: November 27, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
I don't think it's a question of money not being an object, apple products can be more expensive but I find I'll have that laptop for a long time - and even after 4 or 5 years you can still sell them and get a return.

I got my last laptop in 2010, a core i3 which still works fine once up and running.

But it takes an age to load (HDD), overheats because the fan's knackered, and a clump of keys in the bottom left corner no longer work. Apart from that, though...

Offline In Fowler We Trust

• Athens Airport Queen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truth Justice
« Reply #855 on: November 28, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
My macbook is a 2011 model - still working fine.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #856 on: November 28, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »
My macbook is a 2011 model - still working fine.

As is my Mac Mini from the same year. Had an iMac for nearly 10 years before that which only broke because I fucked the screen when moving.

Apple may be shite in some ways, but they make products that work and last (from my experience).

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #857 on: November 28, 2018, 11:11:27 PM »
My Macbook pro 2017 model (£2.5k) has a dodgy keyboard, so apple is not the panacea. Suppose I will be arsed to take it back to them at some point as it is a known issue and they extended the warranty for the keyboard to 4 years

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #858 on: June 18, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm struggling to play console games now I'm a bit older as my wife and kids want the tv at different times. I was considering a 'gaming laptop' but wondered whether there's actually such a thing. Are the ones in Curry's for example just powerful laptops?

I've historically bought macbooks, but haven't had one since about 2011. It never had the spec to play decent games, so I instantly thought I'd need to look elsewhere.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #859 on: June 18, 2019, 04:48:24 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm struggling to play console games now I'm a bit older as my wife and kids want the tv at different times. I was considering a 'gaming laptop' but wondered whether there's actually such a thing. Are the ones in Curry's for example just powerful laptops?

I've historically bought macbooks, but haven't had one since about 2011. It never had the spec to play decent games, so I instantly thought I'd need to look elsewhere.

Can you give us an idea of what you want to play Richie? Are you happy with graphics that you'd have got on an original Xbox One (1080p & 30-45 fps), or are you thinking something super modern that will give you 2019 desktop, 4k performance?

Have you got a budget in mind?

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #860 on: June 18, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »
Can you give us an idea of what you want to play Richie? Are you happy with graphics that you'd have got on an original Xbox One (1080p & 30-45 fps), or are you thinking something super modern that will give you 2019 desktop, 4k performance?

Have you got a budget in mind?

Thank you for the reply.

Im ok with it being good rather than 4k. For budget i could live with spending on a laptop as an investment, but if theres a compromise option at a lower price Id probably go for it.

In terms of games Id certainly go for the Total War series and then maybe things like battlefield and assassins creed. I am very much out of the loop in pc games and games in general though.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!!
  • Believer
  • Klopptimist
« Reply #861 on: June 18, 2019, 10:35:10 PM »
With gaming, unless you absolutely need the portability of a laptop, you should go desktop every time. Modern games running 3d games at decent settings put a great demand on the GPU etc, and they generate a lot of heat. Now a desktop PC built properly won't struggle here, the case fans will blow a decent amount of cool air through and the component fans will deal with local hotspots.

But laptops just physically don't have the airflow to match, and as a result, to stop your chips literally melting, the components that manufacturers put into laptops are low power versions which can run at far slower clock speeds as the 'same' item in a desktop.
Oh it comes to Divock Origi... he's won the European Cup for Liverpool! The man who cut down Barcelona has taken Tottenham down in Madrid! And it's dreamland for Liverpool Football Club Worrying times.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #862 on: June 18, 2019, 11:18:35 PM »
With gaming, unless you absolutely need the portability of a laptop, you should go desktop every time. Modern games running 3d games at decent settings put a great demand on the GPU etc, and they generate a lot of heat. Now a desktop PC built properly won't struggle here, the case fans will blow a decent amount of cool air through and the component fans will deal with local hotspots.

But laptops just physically don't have the airflow to match, and as a result, to stop your chips literally melting, the components that manufacturers put into laptops are low power versions which can run at far slower clock speeds as the 'same' item in a desktop.

Itís not that easy for Richie I suspect. I know his pain (maybe you will too) - young family and certain priorities of care mean that the sofa is where itís at for him of an evening and weekend. In a perfect world we would obviously advocate a desktop. Itíll always win in value and performance, but sadly, you canít sit with one on your lap whilst the missus watches Corrie on one side of you and the little one is trying to break something expensive on the other.

If Richie just wants to play total war, a couple of the older AC games and maybe things like GTA V, Overwatch and Battlefield, then youíll get pretty pleasing performance out of a mid-range gaming laptop at 1080p low/medium. My Dell gets toasty when I hammer it for a couple of hours but itís not disgustingly hot and as long as you donít aim for the stars with the graphics settings, it doesnít noticeably throttle.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #863 on: June 19, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »
Itís not that easy for Richie I suspect. I know his pain (maybe you will too) - young family and certain priorities of care mean that the sofa is where itís at for him of an evening and weekend. In a perfect world we would obviously advocate a desktop. Itíll always win in value and performance, but sadly, you canít sit with one on your lap whilst the missus watches Corrie on one side of you and the little one is trying to break something expensive on the other.

If Richie just wants to play total war, a couple of the older AC games and maybe things like GTA V, Overwatch and Battlefield, then youíll get pretty pleasing performance out of a mid-range gaming laptop at 1080p low/medium. My Dell gets toasty when I hammer it for a couple of hours but itís not disgustingly hot and as long as you donít aim for the stars with the graphics settings, it doesnít noticeably throttle.

Brilliant. Thank you.

Yeah I've looked at a desktop, but I really don't have anywhere to put it. As you say, the sofa is where it's at for me.

I was reckoning a budget of £500-£800 for a mid ranger? I realise this could be optimistic. I've seen some £1500+ but that might not be what I'm in the game for.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Believer
« Reply #864 on: June 19, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Have a look at Dell Outlet. Some are refurbs, some are brand new and still sealed returns. The odd one is categorised as ĎScratch or dentí but in most cases are barely visible and you can save a decent amount of cash. There an i5 with Dedicated 2GB Graphics on there at the minute for about £400

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #865 on: July 27, 2019, 09:44:47 PM »
Thinking of getting a new laptop, mainly for playing Football Manager on comfortably without being slow. My technical knowledge is very limited so not sure what sort of processors etc I should be looking for. Budget is around £350. Found this one but not sure how good it would be?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-255-g7-amd-ryzen-3-2200u-8gb-1tb-hdd-15.6-inch-windows-10-pro-laptop-6bn14ea/version.asp

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #866 on: July 31, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »
Thinking of getting a new laptop, mainly for playing Football Manager on comfortably without being slow. My technical knowledge is very limited so not sure what sort of processors etc I should be looking for. Budget is around £350. Found this one but not sure how good it would be?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-255-g7-amd-ryzen-3-2200u-8gb-1tb-hdd-15.6-inch-windows-10-pro-laptop-6bn14ea/version.asp

Looks ok, but I wouldnt buy it for gaming in general. BUT if the only gaming you will be doing is current gen FM, I think it should suffice. But might try and see if you can get a better processor. 

FM might be a having less graphical demands than other titles,  but processing power is always important for gaming. The processor in this machine is a 2200U, the "U" means it is underclocked, which again means it is designed to run slower than a standard 2200 to save battery.

The RAM  in your machine is 8gb. I think one should always aim for at least 16gb, especially considering "future proofing" your setup. 8gb should be fine for FM though (and you can always add more later).

Same for the harddrive. This one has a HDD, which is ok. Most new laptops comes with SSD which is alot faster. But for FM I think you're good with a HDD.

If you're planning to do other GPU heavy work while gaming (I keep FM windowed) or would want to test out AAA-gaming titles (such as Battlefield 5 etc.), I would not recommend this laptop. Notice your GPU is integrated. This means your machine is using the RAM on your computer. For heavier titles, try and look for one with a dedicated GPU, as this will have it's own RAM.

But again, it might be ok for FM.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:59:13 AM by Crimson »
I have no idea what Iím taking about

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• If a cow could dance and be a member of a football forum, this would be it. If he had no lips he'd be ChaChaOooOoo!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice shall prevail. JFT96.
« Reply #867 on: August 20, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
Just ordered the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series-7590

- 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9300H (8MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 4 cores)
- Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)
- 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- 15,6 Inch Display, FHD (1.920 x 1.080), LED Backlight, No Touchfunktion, WVA-Display
- 8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2.666 MHz
- M.2-PCIe-NVMe-SSD 256 GB
- 3-Cell 56 Wh, Integrated battery
- PLMRST for Abyss cover with finger print (I have no idea what this is)

I think it is similar to the Vostro 7590 series.

Costed me Ä820 altogether.